Author Topic: Mentoring  (Read 214814 times)

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Mentoring
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2016, 03:24:09 PM »
I've not been successful either mentoring or getting mentored in Gardening.

Offline CuriousSim

• Occult
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2016, 07:19:59 PM »
The main problem seems to be, that it's a rather rare skill to be generated in the Computer Generated Sims. (CGS) When a Sim does have it, they seem to be rather high level & might not be mentorable. Aside from the Community Gardner, I have only met Dennis Kim, that seems to be good at gardening. He seems to be rather high level. Actually, when I was visiting Willow Creek, to pick up some apples to graft, I DID notice a computer generated Sim watering the boxes, there. I could not water the public boxes, though. It's possible I could have mentored her. Try visiting the public garden boxes in Oasis Springs & Willow Creek. You might just find a Sim watering the boxes.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2016, 08:18:32 PM »
All the NPC Community Gardeners will have L10 gardening. Like wise the NPC fishermen/women will have L10 Fishing skill and Gym Trainers will have L10 Fitness. Unfortunately the Librarians do not have L10 Writing.

@oshizu  I don't think gardening can be mentored.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2016, 08:24:07 PM »
The main problem seems to be, that it's a rather rare skill to be generated in the Computer Generated Sims. (CGS) When a Sim does have it, they seem to be rather high level & might not be mentorable. Aside from the Community Gardner, I have only met Dennis Kim, that seems to be good at gardening. He seems to be rather high level. Actually, when I was visiting Willow Creek, to pick up some apples to graft, I DID notice a computer generated Sim watering the boxes, there. I could not water the public boxes, though. It's possible I could have mentored her. Try visiting the public garden boxes in Oasis Springs & Willow Creek. You might just find a Sim watering the boxes.
Hello CuriousSim
I have a household of eight sims, six of whose Gardening is at Level 10.
When one of the two sims who hasn't maxed Gardening is in the process of gardening, she does not get the "Ask to be mentored" social and none of the six sims with L10 gardening get the "Mentor" option. Logic is missing from the list, I think.

@Playalot  You posted when I was about to post. The first post in this thread lists Gardening as a mentor-able skill, which surprised me. So I re-tested it.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2016, 08:27:23 PM »
@oshizu oh! I fixed that. As far as I am aware gardening has never been able to be mentored. Be cool if it was though. lol, I can just 'hear' the conversation my sims would have!

Offline CuriousSim

• Occult
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2016, 03:12:01 AM »
I have a question: Does that mentoring reward that you can buy, do anything at all?
When I first noticed that maxing painting allows mentoring, along with Fitness, cooking, and piano, I realized that the skill is probably totally useless. According to the description, the "Mentoring" reward requires you to reach level 10. In most skills, you are allowed to mentor, once you reach level 10, anyway. (Unless, the description is wrong, of course)

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2016, 05:12:26 PM »
The reward trait speeds up the rate in which the sim being mentored will learn. If you are not short of time then the satisfaction points might be better spent elsewhere.  :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline CuriousSim

• Occult
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2016, 07:50:24 PM »
Thank you, I guess, that's good to know. The mailperson my Sim was mentoring is now churning out Excellent level paintings. I'm in no real hurry. However, I am almost at the point, where I have enough left over from the other rewards, that I can acquire the Mentor reward. I don't think I'll ever make that my first choice, though. Marketable was a great help. That Frugal thing helped a lot, but the "Bills" keep skyrocketing out of control. I can't understand why a power company would shut off electricity, for having too many masterpiece paintings, dining room tables, and other luxury items. That doesn't really make much sense. If it's going to be taxes, why not call it taxes?

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2016, 11:16:52 PM »
The bills also take in to consideration everything that is in your sims inventories so the bills can really mount up rather quickly.  :) If you can sell all the items in your sims inventories every Sunday night before the bills get calculated for Monday that can help. It's not always possible though as often you need certain items for serums etc.

Offline CuriousSim

• Occult
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2016, 01:34:52 AM »
It still seems like a strange way to calculate an electric bill. I've never known a power company to turn off the utilities, because the owner stuffed a thousand grilled cheese sandwiches, down his pants.

I probably need to thin out my inventory. I have a lot of fruit that I carry around. I just recently realized you could sell it. It's handy to have, when I'm out on the town & find myself without food. Also, I like carrying a trophy or two, in case I need to cheer an unhappy Sim up. Paintings, for various occasions, have come in handy as well. Postcards are also handy, in case I am lucky enough to find an empty easel, at the museum. Larger items, I carry, so I can quickly swap out dirty or broken items, then repair/clean them later. Sometimes, it seems too much like real life. The closer you get, to actually having fun, the more obstacles there are.

Gardening is a good example as well. It seems like the more skilled you become, the longer it takes to take care for a plant. When you put your first plant in the ground, all you need to do is water it. As you get more adept, suddenly plants start drawing flies & weeds. I would think the amount of bugspray my Sim puts on his plant would be enough to kill it, under real world circumstances. Weeding isn't normally something that needs to be done daily. That's just my observation.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2016, 02:03:44 AM »
Here's some more info to help you. Bills are supposed to be delivered Monday, 5am, every week. Bills are a percentage of the billable household value, defined as the value of the furnished lot, plus everything in the household inventory and everything in the inventory of every household sim; it explicitly excludes the household funds. The percentage is 2% for the first §20K of value, then 3% for what exceeds that up to §30K, then 3.5% to §50K, and 5% of anything above that.
(As an example, a §100K value household will pay 2% of the first §20K, then 3% of the next §10K, 3.5% of the next §20K, and 5% of the remaining §50K, for a grand total of §3900.)
The Frugal trait reduces the bills by 25%.

This facts were first discussed on the forum here by Darkwalker

As to your observations comparing The Sims to real life... well, the sims doesn't really work like real life. It's a game that is a life simulation not a life simulator.  :)

Once your sim has mastered the gardening skill it will take no time at all and weeds/bugs/and spraying are needed much less often. The Green Thumb trait will also make gardening easier.
If you have Get Together you can make a gardening club and the members will do all the work for you when your sim is pushed for time.

Offline CuriousSim

• Occult
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2016, 01:10:31 AM »
My preference would be if they could do away with taxes & bills & all that schtuff. In lieu of that, it might be nice, if there was some sort of cap on the fees. On that note, I bought a rocket. I hope it doesn't make the bills unbearable. I don't have any career yet, so I have just a few questions about the Rocket Science skill. If I'm not in the Astronaut career, is there anything I should know about the rocket? I've seen a lot about crashes & stuff. I am considering putting the rocket in my inventory & keeping it for a spare, then building another one, until my skill is built up. Should I attempt any flying, before my skill is higher? Should I upgrade it as much as possible, before my first mission? Just curious. I also had considered putting the rocket on an unused lot, so I could use it, but not have to pay for it. Will I regret having it on my own lot?

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2016, 01:18:49 AM »
I would suggest upgrading the landing stabilizers if you are worried about crashing. It's this upgrade that seems to have the most impact on the likelihood of crashes (lol bad pun!).

If you make the mixology drink 'Amgygdelight' which is available when your sim is focused, then the leveling of your rocket science and handiness skilling will be much faster. (And logic but that won't level with rocket building obviously!)

I wouldn't bother having two rockets as they both will contribute to the bills if you're worried about money.

Can't think of anything else really. It's just a case of your sim being very focused, drinking Amygdelight and building that rocket and then moving straight onto upgrading it. Remember to aspiration hop to so you can get as many satisfaction points as possible.

Offline CuriousSim

• Occult
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2016, 01:45:35 AM »
Ok, thank you very much for all the help. This is a very helpful board. Two more questions. If I did want to level my skill fast & unlock as many upgrades as possible, might it make sense to sell the rocket & build another one, before flying/upgrading it?

Finally, Nancy Landgraab wanted to come over, but almost as soon as she started jogging over, she said "Thanks for hanging out"... etc. and left. Is the Steampunk rocket considered low class decor, or was she just in a bad mood? If this is the case, would any of the career rockets be considered, "Classy"? Just curious. Thanks for all the help. I've been on this game less than a month & I am enjoying it, so far. It's hard to believe how old it is. Perhaps, they are coming out with a "5", before too long?

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2016, 02:47:22 AM »
If I did want to level my skill fast & unlock as many upgrades as possible, might it make sense to sell the rocket & build another one, before flying/upgrading it?

No... you would lose a lot of money as the rocket ship devalues over time (as does all sims furnishings and items). As you upgrade the rocket your rocket science skill levels up and then once you have landing stabilizers upgraded you can take space flights to level up rocket science further. (As well as more upgrades)

It's a bug that makes sims leave just after arriving at a lot. The rockets have nothing to do with it and the different designs are just that, designs. Neither one is better than the other.  :)

Not sure about how long TS4 will be continue being expanded but it's the new current game and going by previous iterations they normally are developed over at least 5 yrs. I'm sure there are many years left still, of the TS4

Also feel free to post in the misc help section link  You'll find a lot of information there too.