Author Topic: How do you win Game Tournaments?  (Read 51081 times)

Offline Chris41279

• Llama Wrangler
How do you win Game Tournaments?
« on: September 09, 2014, 06:31:10 PM »
Ok, so maybe I'm doing this wrong..

My sim is max level Video Gaming and has multiple Focus decor around him while on the computer. How in the world do you win these things? I keep getting 3rd place, and sometimes I can't even get that and will lose.
What is the secret? Does anyone know?

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
Re: How do you win Game Tournaments?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 12:05:22 AM »
I'm moving this to the Skills board, since game tournaments fall under video gaming skill.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Chris41279

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 01:16:44 AM »
Thanks Nutella. Sorry about the misplacement of the thread!

Hopefully now I can get some responses.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 01:30:32 AM »
I think that being 'confident' rather than focused helps. I was only coming third as well and then just by chance I used the computer in the kids room (away from all the focusing decor) and my sim became confident and was placed first. I'll have to retry to be sure but it might be worth you giving it a go and see what happens.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Dellena

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 03:16:16 AM »
On the computer try Research Advanced Gaming Strategy first (Web menu) and then do a tournament.  I wasn't even getting a third place until I started doing that although I haven't gotten a first place yet.  But my video gaming skill level is 7 I think.

Offline jillz

• Origin ID: Charzof
  • Townie
  • Knitter. Gamer. Geek.
    • The New Adventures of Priska
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 01:42:48 PM »
I have a Sim who is maxxed out in Video Gaming and she still comes in third for tournaments. I'm going to try being Confident & Researching to see if that works. I've come in second place but never first.

Offline Chris41279

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 02:13:43 PM »
Ok so, I psyched myself up in the mirror, brushed my teeth and walked to the computer immediately. Entered the tournament and 5 sim minutes before the tournament ends the confident buff runs out. I've lost 3 in a row this way.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Chris41279

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 07:18:59 PM »
Ok, well after 5 tournaments, I only won 1 of them. All of them I began while confident. A few of them the Confident buff dropped off at the very end, but 2 of them the Confident buff stayed. The 2 the buff stayed, I didn't win.

So to anyone that was winning with Confident, I'd like you to post any other factors that may be playing into it. Your other skills maybe. Do you have Focusing decor activated during the match? Anything that might help, PLZ!

What computer are you using? What upgrades does it have?

Offline Naga

• Top Secret
  • Immortal
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 07:35:05 PM »
I'm very positive that what wins the game tournaments is Focused and Very Focused, not Confident. You need level 10 on the skill, obviously. If you research once or twice it seems to help "forever", so you don't have to do it before each tournament.

Now something I'm not sure of: I believe that the more time your Sim spends playing, the better they get. Might just be me, but it felt that way. He still loses some tournaments sometimes, or comes in second, but usually he wins.

Offline Chris41279

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 07:36:48 PM »
Which tournament are you playing? Novice or Expert? Also, which game are you playing?

Offline Naga

• Top Secret
  • Immortal
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 08:30:02 PM »
Expert, Hillock II.

Offline jillz

• Origin ID: Charzof
  • Townie
  • Knitter. Gamer. Geek.
    • The New Adventures of Priska
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 08:34:16 PM »
I actually turned off all my Focusing decor and went to the mirror to psych my Sim up for a tournament and won for the first time ever. I'll do some more testing tonight with her and let you know though.

Offline Chris41279

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 09:02:31 PM »
Thanks much, Jillz!

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 05:32:54 AM »
O.K. I've tried being confident and being focused and then being Very focused and Very confident. I've also tried researching advanced game strategies with each of those emotional states and there doesn't seem to be a difference. In all I've won and in all I've not had a placing.
So sorry, I can't really be bothered doing any more testing as it still seems that either state works just as well as the other. It probably comes down to personality traits as well and I'm not testing those! I just don't have the patience!!  ::)  :)

Good thing I don't write guides for a living as I'd probably throw my pc out the window!
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Chris41279

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 06:33:39 AM »
I can totally feel you on that, Playalot! It's driving me NUTS! I swear its just a dice roll, no matter your skill level or emotions. You are either destined to win, or destined to fail.. and it's all determined once you pay out your $100 for the tournament.