Author Topic: Auto Save Not Working?  (Read 10935 times)

Offline ve1ocity

• !I believe in Simverse!
  • Occult
  • Sims 4!
    • Six at Sunset
Auto Save Not Working?
« on: September 09, 2014, 09:05:57 AM »
I was playing my legacy. I totally forgot to save the game after the initial move.

And suddenly the game became unresponsive and I had to shut the PC down. When I restarted, it came as the game was auto saved at the time it became unresponsive, but when I loaded it, I was in the very beginning, right before the move.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Is there any way I can recover the save file? I was getting really fond of the spouse and he was a townie :(

==========
Edit By: MrsFlynn to add the following information:

Autosave isn't used anymore, It was patched out in 2016/2017. If you have a Slot_00000001.save file or any of it's .ver files. (Slot_00000001.save.ver0) These are safe to delete.

Read more in the post linked below:

Save Vs. Save As - Differences and what they do
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=29331.msg467748#msg467748

-- Auto Save and how it works
https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/803383/auto-save-and-how-it-works
Read my newest vampire saga! HIATUS
Mission Unnamed

Will Aphrodite ever find True Love?  HIATUS
Yes, its the Greek Gods! Read their antics!
The Greek Gods : An Immortal Dynasty

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Auto Save not working?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 01:59:21 AM »
I've had the game become unresponsive a few times now and when I've started it up again, it was where I had last saved it. I'm not sure about recovering the file, but I would suggest to just save and save often! Carl had a problem when he was working on the gardeing guide and I'm sure he said the auto save is only when you start and end a game, so if the game becomes unresponsive, I doubt that it would have saved anyway.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
Re: Auto Save Not Working?
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 01:00:39 AM »
Yes, the game only saves when you first start a new game, and when you quit using the menus. I've been manually saving roughly every 15 mins or so.

Dellena

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 01:41:09 AM »
One of the gurus also said it was supposed to auto save when you travel as well. 

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 01:44:10 AM »
One of the gurus also said it was supposed to auto save when you travel as well.

mmm supposed to, but I don't think so, well not at the moment anyway lol
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Dellena

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 04:41:20 AM »
Yeah, there's definitely some issues with the Autosave.  My rule of thumb:

1. Save every night when they go to sleep
2. Save after each change in build mode (you can also save during build mode if you're doing something that's taking a while)
3. Save after each promotion
4. Save before major events like weddings and births

Those are my own benchmarks for saving.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 10:13:44 AM »
I've also noticed that sometimes when you save, you don't, actually. If you hit save and just see an hourglass, then it's not saving. In that case, I do a "save as" which so far has always worked for me.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline justproud2b

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 02:19:01 AM »
I've also noticed that sometimes when you save, you don't, actually. If you hit save and just see an hourglass, then it's not saving. In that case, I do a "save as" which so far has always worked for me.

You can also use save as to verify your last save worked due to it having a time stamp

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 09:44:19 PM »
I've had the game crash many times. I finally realized that it's necessary to resist accumulating items and delete ones that pile up, especially gardening items, often.

It crashed a lot while gardening, especially when trying to fertilize with probably over 1000 items in my sim's inventory.

Not once did it auto-save. I always had to start back from where I saved last.

Now I just frequently save and sell as many items as I can part with.  ;)

Dellena

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 06:07:07 AM »
Auto save isn't timer based.  It will auto save when you travel and when you exit.  Do not depend on it.

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 12:13:04 AM »
A few days ago (after my previous post) my game started generating auto save files after my game cashed.

HOWEVER, they are not actually "auto-save" files. They are only exact copies of the last time I saved the game myself successfully.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the crashing had to do with the so-called auto-save files.

Not sure what to do about it...

Offline Stormi71

• Occult
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 03:36:16 PM »
I manually save ALL the time now, using "save as", because the auto saves in my daughters game overwrote my saved games, and the only one left was when I started the game. I have noticed that when I do "save as", it also overwrites one of the autosaves, as the next time I save, they both have the same time stamps.  I save when the last sim in the household is going to bed, and usually again when they've gone to school and work, and before they travel, when they get promoted, when they level up....pretty much all the time

Offline MissZoef

• Occult
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 05:40:10 PM »
When they first announced the auto-save feature I was really pleased with it. However I don't notice anything of it and I ALWAYS save manually. They might as well leave it out. If it was a timer based auto-save, then it would be much more useful. In case you forget to save in a while. I'm not even sure how to aut-save is supposed to work and when it saves.

Offline Whirligig

• Simmer Down Sally
  • Occult
    • Whirligig Plays Sims
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 09:17:08 PM »
While I have yet to have the game crash, my computer (which I am not allowed to complain about because it was a very generous gift from someone I barely know) runs up incredibly high temperatures with the game running, and last night there were three thermal shutdowns in the space of four hours. When I realized the auto save does nothing useful, I went and tracked down a daily save mod that saves the game at 5 pm daily because much as I'd like to be able to remember to do it myself, I'm a forgetful person. Still took me four attempts to get through a particular Wednesday and throw a gold medal dinner party.

So yeah, don't count on the Maxis auto save is the general consensus of this thread.
The Morven Dynasty
Blogger ||| Simblr

Soroja14 on Origin

Offline DarkWalker

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 01:07:05 PM »
While I have yet to have the game crash, my computer (which I am not allowed to complain about because it was a very generous gift from someone I barely know) runs up incredibly high temperatures with the game running, and last night there were three thermal shutdowns in the space of four hours. When I realized the auto save does nothing useful, I went and tracked down a daily save mod that saves the game at 5 pm daily because much as I'd like to be able to remember to do it myself, I'm a forgetful person. Still took me four attempts to get through a particular Wednesday and throw a gold medal dinner party.

So yeah, don't count on the Maxis auto save is the general consensus of this thread.

Offtopic, but if you are getting thermal shutdowns, and you aren't afraid of taking your computer apart, look for dust buildup on the coolers. They are the typical cause of overheating, I had to take my computer completely apart and clean every part a couple months ago due to a similar issue.