Author Topic: Taking better screen shots  (Read 75094 times)

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
Re: Taking better screen shots
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 07:47:43 AM »
Fantastic advice, and great screenshots everyone! I've just got one little thing to add to that though: observe your game, and make sure you capture moments when they occur. Often, if my Sims are performing interactions or they've got an amazing background behind them, slowing the game right down, zooming right in and pausing the game to look at the angles presents really great scenarios for screenshots. If it's a once-in-a-lifetime shot like a funny glitch or another unique setup, don't be shy about setting up lights or moving objects out of the way to get that perfect picture. The Sims never ceases to amaze me in this regard, I'm always stumbling upon little things to photograph. It's all about slowing down to look.

Really, you'll be surprised.

Offline templesmom

• Townie
  • Happy Simming!
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 08:15:35 AM »
Thanks all, I can't wait to get back home and try all this out.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 01:51:21 PM »
Salty, how did you scare yourself? Lol that pic cracked me up! You did get really close! I love all these screenshots! Right now, they are all I got so keep em coming!  ;D ;D

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 02:53:34 PM »
The Tab button also lets you bring in more of a room which I managed with this photo, without using tab only the bed and the desk was easily taken but the zoomed out in Tab let me get a whole room perspective -

Unfortuanatly the lights always turn up in Tab mode...
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 05:44:59 PM »
Salty, how did you scare yourself? Lol that pic cracked me up! You did get really close! I love all these screenshots! Right now, they are all I got so keep em coming!  ;D ;D

Using tab, I got even closer than that screenshot and the eyes were like, right up to the screen, reminded me of a halloween email I got one year. ;D
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 08:04:30 PM »
Using tab, I got even closer than that screenshot and the eyes were like, right up to the screen, reminded me of a halloween email I got one year. ;D

Lol yea I can see how that would be freaky! AHHHHHH! ;D.

Offline CJ Silver

• Llama Wrangler
  • Katamari Lover-Hater
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 04:48:57 PM »
I tried to use tab to take shots of my basements, but the game suddenly glitches and all the walls go down and when I leave Cameraman mode, the game bumps me back to the surface, so I can't use Tab there. :(

I'll remember these things in future.
"The Points Mean Nothing" - My new catchphrase after seeing this trope on TV Tropes.com, to describe my belief on Legacies and other Sims 3 challenges

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 04:34:52 PM »
I had the Ultimate picture (In my own opinion  ;))of my sim completing her Metamorphis into a vampire then some Celebrity walked onto the Lot and another Sim thought of that celebrity! It is so annoying sometimes!  :(

I also have some close ups of Vampires over in the Vampire thread on Page 1 and Page 4.  :)

Offline wildredchild

• Immortal
  • Meet Sadie :)
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 08:39:56 PM »
To stop that in the future Thomas enter the cheat code HideHeadlinEffects on.  Then you don't have to worry about those thought bubbles anymore.

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2010, 04:36:47 AM »
Ooh, Thank you Wildred!  :D

Offline AmeliaAnne

• Llama Wrangler
  • Current legacy heir, Una
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 10:21:39 PM »
And now - to go play World Adventures and use these tips to get some great shots!! Thank you!

Offline applejackkxo

• Llama Wrangler
  • "Blame it all upon a rush of blood to the head."
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 12:02:51 AM »
My graphics are pretty bad...but I do like to take screenshots when I see an opportunity. 

Here are a few of my sim Gardenia from the Garden of Eatin' Challenge:

Here she is catching a prized Deathfish:

And her she is enjoying an apparently very delicious apple:

Both of these shots were taken at nighttime at the graveyard. For my fellow mac users (I know there's only a few out there) a good tip for nighttime shots is to open them with preview go to Tools->Adjust Color and then bump up the exposure and brightness a little...it helps you picture not look so dark, and pops your sim out of the picture a little. For daytime shots, I like to mess with the temperature and contrast a little as well :)
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” -Albert Einstein

Offline Lilygirl

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Let's spread kindness, grace, and joy.
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 12:58:11 AM »
That's a good tip, applejack! I'll try an remember that for my next set of Dynasty pics.
You've played too much TS3 when ... your 13 month old's babble sounds like Simlish!

Please read the Forum Rules

☀ Sunburst Immortal Dynasty ☀
The McIrish Bunch RTJ
My Swap Shop Creations

Leto85

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2011, 06:21:50 PM »
@TemplesMom: I don't know if this was advised to you already, but with the Tab key you will also be able to place the camera at interesting spots you see for example in (good) movies too. Like when a sim istaking something from the fridge or putting something in the microwave you could photograph that from out the fridbe or microwave. It will cost you a little practise with shipping that camera around but eventually you will succeed.
Also you could deside to uplick your pictures in a photo editing program like Photoshop to give it some more accent.
Lighting setup is also very importent, mostly during the night, as light from lamps during bright daylight will not add much.
Try for a simple basic setup with a back light to seperate your sim from it's background, a front light (the lamps position will vary from situation to situation) and a lamp from above, which will function as a heli.
I have learned using those setups in 3D animation but originally it came from movies, therefore from photos.
Try it, you will be surprised how much your pictures will improve.
Sadly, we have no lamps in TS3 who can cast shadows, as that also would be very important.

Offline Katluvr

• Crazy Cat Lady - Origin ID: Katluvr23
  • Watcher
  • The shortest distance between two people is a hug.
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 03:42:07 AM »
Just wanted to thank everyone for all the great information in this thread.  I have been inspired by Pam's Dreamweaver dynasty to try a legacy.  Your advice and examples of screenshots have helped me catch some amazing moments in the life of my sims - I used some highlights in my signature.   I really love trying to find just the right screenshot to advance the story.  I hope some of you will take the time to read and comment.  ;D