Author Topic: Taking better screen shots  (Read 75093 times)

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Taking better screen shots
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2011, 02:20:56 AM »
Don't know if everyone knows this but I just found out you can move in Tabbed View, just use the Arrow Keys to 'walk' around.  ;)
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2011, 06:32:32 AM »
I have another tip regarding lighting your screenshots.  :) It's a tip that I think is amazing for adding effect yet it is really simple, some of you may notice that some of my pictures end up with a yellow/gold colour tint on them, that isn't my graphics or me editing them it is the lights in the rooms. Default Lights are White in the game but I switch mine to the Flame colour, the first image is of a White Lighting.

The second image is with a flame lighting, see the difference?

The flame seems to give a more natural lighting that the White light. I prefer it but I guess it depends on what you want your image to show.  :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2011, 11:34:13 AM »
The flame lighting doesn't reflect as harshly off of everything, either.

That's a very good tip, actually.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2011, 10:50:45 PM »
That's awesome Thomas!

Offline Allie0563

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2011, 11:52:39 AM »
This is a great thread...but is it posted somewhere on actually how to take screen shots?  The mechanics of it?  Or is it just something you have to read the instructions and figure out?  I've never taken screen shots and have no clue how to go about it.

Offline Phyre

• Occult
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2011, 12:40:46 PM »
This is a great thread...but is it posted somewhere on actually how to take screen shots?  The mechanics of it?  Or is it just something you have to read the instructions and figure out?  I've never taken screen shots and have no clue how to go about it.

Just press 'c'; easy as that! The game will put the screenshots you make in your My Documents/EA/The Sims 3/Screenshots folder.

Some people claim screenshots using the game's own screenshot mechanism causes everything to come out too dark. Personally I've never had any problems with that. If you do, you could always try 'print screen' and then pasting the image. However, that's a lot of work, so I'd see how you like the screenshots the game produces for you first!

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2011, 01:31:24 PM »
The best way to do it is press C on the Keyboard or click the camera icon on the UI. The only pictures I ever find dark are the ones taken at night and have poor lighting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Allie0563

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2011, 01:45:04 PM »
Oh wow...thanks guys...I thought it would be some complicated mess and I had myself intimidated by it for nothing!  I'll try tonight!

Offline SimPenguin

• Townie
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2011, 05:30:57 PM »
Hi - I've been having the devil of a time taking screencaptures (not in-game photos) of spaces with two-story, vaulted ceilings.  I'm kind of keen on two-story vaulted spaces, so most of my properties have them.  I have seen other peoples screencaptures out on the web where they don't have the problem I am having, so I think it's just my lack of knowledge that's the problem.   :-\

Two issues:

When I try and screen capture my Sims on the first floor, looking up, anything that is in the vaulted footprint shows open to the sky.  I've tried centering in on the Sim and then hitting the up-one-floor button - This adds the second floor, but I also go up one level with it.  The instant I try and recenter on my Sim, the game pulls us all back down to floor one and the second floor drops again.  Screencapture example:
The second issue is in the opposite direction:  When I try and screencapture looking down, from floor two to one, I get the whole room and anything that is placed in the open area, but almost everything that is placed under the floor footprint disappears! 
Screencapture example:   
In this example, you can see the table and chairs in the open area, but you can't see the rows of bookshelves and other items against the wall on the first floor (under the balcony).  This problem also happens when I try and take exterior shots of my houses from a higher floor - Almost every object placed in the house on a floor other than the floor you are currently hovering on disappears behind the windows!   Screencapture example:
I would be grateful if someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong in the first instance to fix the first problem.  The second issue most likely has to do with whatever limitations my computer's memory or graphic's card may have, but if I'm wrong and you have any insight on how to fix this, please help me!

Leto85

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2011, 07:08:16 PM »
@SimPenguin: Welcome to the forum!
Your first issue had given me a lot of troubles while making movies and it seems there was no solution to get around the problem.
But... fortuniatly there is! All you need to do is go up to the floor one level, as you said in your example, but after that you need to hit the Tab key in order to go to another sort of live mode, with completely free camera angles. Than take your photo. This should work. Good luck. ;)

With your second problem there is a button in the Options panel that alouds you to show objects on lower floors. Try to look there. I'm not quite sure right away where it is exactly but you should look under options.

Offline SimPenguin

• Townie
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2011, 07:54:42 PM »
Thank you so much, Leto!  Wow, those two things have been giving me such grief!  It will be the weekend before I can test this out, but will report back then.

Offline SimPenguin

• Townie
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2011, 01:02:43 AM »
Thank you so much Leto85!  I had a chance to play around with your tips this weekend and wow, they worked great.  The setting fixed my objects-on-other-floors issue and I sure wish I had known about the tab-camera function from the start.  Not only does it take care of the multi-floor issue, it also just looks awesome when taking caps.  The light and angles are so much better than just the regular in game perspective.  It also explains where people where creating those distorted angle shots I've seen around.   ;)

For anyone coming in looking for this same tip, I would only add that you need to know the shortcut keys for maneuvering around once you are in tab-camera mode.  I had not learned these before now and it took a while to figure out why the tab-camera wasn't working any better than the in-game version, until I realized that there must be quick keys and went out and found a list. 

Thanks again! 

VampirePlasma

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
After eading this wonderful tips I decided to try them out, I would have posted it yesterday but forgot.

Bridgeport

Her expression. :D

I wonder why she is glowing?

Sorry about the bad quality.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2011, 02:39:49 PM »
I love that pic of Bridgeport at nighttime, Vamp! My Sims sometimes glow too, don't know why. ???

And thanks everyone for the tips, they are great.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2011, 03:32:43 AM »
It is to do with the lighting and reflection, some skin tones reflect better than others in whatever setting it is, I'd say that White Lighting is the most common cause of that. Which is why I prefer Flame Lighting because it is softer, blends better and looks warmer and more natural. I'd done a comparison above of a Kitchen with White or Flame Lighting., Here.

I love that City Scene, BP is at it's best at night, can't see the pollution as much then.  ;)