Author Topic: Roof disappears when building stairs to second level  (Read 8598 times)

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
Roof disappears when building stairs to second level
« on: September 08, 2014, 03:41:22 PM »
I have been trying to build a two story house for my sims family. Everything was going great until I built the second level. I wanted to put a railing (fence) on the side of the stairs like we did in TS3. In order to do that, I had to put a deck there to attach the fence to. So...I did that and paged up to where I could put the roof on and there are holes in the flat area that the roof is built on ---where the deck platform is. Apparently a roof can't be built if the base has holes in it. The roof shows when in build mode but disappears in live mode. Has anyone figured out how to do this yet?

Offline Indira

• Occult
Re: Roof disappears when building stairs to second level
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 07:51:35 PM »
WHen I build, I normally start putting in all walls and stairs before any roofs or furniture. saves a lot of heartache. I noticed while building that you don't get any notifications that doors or window or stairs are being removed automatically when you re-size walls, or place railings. You'll need to recheck your work every once in a while.

Did a closed room here with two styles of placing stairs.

Placed in railings.

At the top, there must be a ceiling like this. Be careful not to delete floors down below before making a second or third floor.

Place your roof with no problem.

To make a balcony, place a closed room first with floors intact. Go to second story and make another closed room. Place your balcony roof.

Afterwards, carefully delete the walls and place railings and columns.

I hope this helps with your stairs problem. :)

Additional note: As far as I know, you can't place roofs if floors are not even, i.e., foundations and ground level floor will not mix. You'll have to create a separate roof for each.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 07:55:28 PM »
Thank you, Indira, for the great explanation! Did you place a "deck room" before you added the railings around the stairs?

Offline Indira

• Occult
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 08:01:26 PM »
Yes, I placed the "deck room" first before railings. The stairs will simply move if you initially placed before it before making a walled room. After you cut the wall/railing, you can simply move your stairs back to it's original place.

Glad to help judewright. :)

Offline Lunarpixels

• Alien Babe
  • Immortal
  • he/him
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 10:30:53 PM »
You can just place fences just like the walls in TS3. I have no screenshots, but I did it in my house. I'll see If I can get a screencap of it.

Dellena

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 04:49:34 AM »
Something I noticed.  Roofs disappear from view if you're in anything but Walls Up view.