Author Topic: Can't quite figure out the skill books.  (Read 9644 times)

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Can't quite figure out the skill books.
« on: September 08, 2014, 09:31:58 AM »
I am having my sim work on cooking.  Ok, so I got skill books.  After he got his third or fourth skill point from reading the first book, he kept putting it down, so I figured it was time for the second one.  When he started reading the second one, he kept getting tense because it said the book was to advanced for him.  So I went back to the first book and he keeps putting it down.  I finally gave up and just had him keep cooking for skill points.  When he was level 5, he still gets frustrated when reading the second book.  How can you tell which skill book to read?  Am I missing something here?  It is probably something very simple, but now I have frustrated moodlet, lol. :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline JonMom2009

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Can't quite figure out the skill books.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 09:43:07 AM »
I noticed that with skill books the would stop reading, close the book, then open and read again. I didn't know if it was chapter progression or what. With my Sim they still kept reading. Does that help?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 09:48:11 AM »
Mine does that too.  I just figured when they get to a certain skill level, they could read book two.  I did notice that when they read a skill book and they are not ready for it yet, they don't get the progress bar above their head.  I will keep experimenting and see what happens.  Thanks for the reply.

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 10:46:33 AM »
If you hit "L" on your keyboard, the skill panel, you will see the background lights up when the skill is moving up.  I could read book one all the way to skill level 4+ before having to switch to book two.  If I switch the book too early, and during reading I notice the skill background is not lightning up, I switch back to book one.  The skill books is kinda weird.

The progress bar above my head doesn't always work, but the skill panel background light works for me. 

Offline Flower1552

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »
Okay, here's what I understand from it. At lever 3 they go to the 2nd book, at level 6 they go to the 3rd one, and they finish reading at level 9. For level 10 you have to do the activity yourself. For 1 and 2 I may be wrong, they books system is pretty odd, But I do know for a fact at level 9 you cant read anymore, and have to do it yourself to get to level 10.

Offline Feekish

• Nooboo
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 07:10:10 PM »
Watch the moodlets. If the book is to advanced or below their level they get moodlets saying so

Offline kanzaki

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 10:32:27 PM »
Okay, here's what I understand from it. At lever 3 they go to the 2nd book, at level 6 they go to the 3rd one, and they finish reading at level 9. For level 10 you have to do the activity yourself. For 1 and 2 I may be wrong, they books system is pretty odd, But I do know for a fact at level 9 you cant read anymore, and have to do it yourself to get to level 10.

definitely not 3 to move the second book, at least not in mixology... gives the did not understand moodlet. I didn't try at 4, because I was going culinary and was glad to be done with those ** books.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Mack

• Llama Wrangler
  • Don't fret, or you will miss the fun.
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 01:26:12 PM »
Once your Sims has finished reading a skill book or otherwise, it would say "reread".... when you ask them to read that book. That is when you know to purchase book two or three. At the library, it seems that you can only read any skill book one. There is no skill book two or three to read. I guess you must buy them.
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift; that's why it's called a present.

Offline Flower1552

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 05:38:10 PM »
I'm pretty sure the only reason it says re-read is because you will read it again, continuing off your last part. It builds skill, so its not like a regular story book.

Offline Naga

• Top Secret
  • Immortal
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 06:24:49 PM »
From what I got so far, skills books aren't tagged as "read" when the Sim can't learn more from it - instead, they're tagged when they're, well, finished. Because my Sim has traits that make him read faster, I end up finishing books too fast.

So what happens when you finish reading a book in the game is that "rereading" is done way faster, and that comes in the way when you're trying to build up skills, mostly at levels 8, 9 and 10. My solution for that was to go on Options and toggle "Disable Autonomy for Selected Sim". That way your Sim will keep reading the book and building skill without stopping, so long as you keep them selected.

Offline callycat

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 10:23:02 PM »
definitely not 3 to move the second book, at least not in mixology... gives the did not understand moodlet. I didn't try at 4, because I was going culinary and was glad to be done with those ** books.

I spotted a notification when going up to level 4 in Logic that now the sim would be able to read the second skill book for it. I haven't seen it before, but this might be because it was a child who reached it. She's the first one to go through one of the child skills and reach 4 on the proper one.
[they/them pronouns please]

Offline Franki

• Occult
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 08:02:39 AM »
If your sim doesn't have a job, and they start at the first skill book, providing you have household needs disabled, you can just leave your sim to read the first book and they will get the full 10 skills after a few days of solid non stop reading... worked for me and saved a bit of money on the skill books.
Straud/Masters - Tangled and defying untangling attempts

I Aten't Dead - Granny Weatherwax

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 08:39:14 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I just have her cook a lot of meals and that way, all they have to do before work or school is just grab a plate.  Seems to go just as fast with cooking.  I will have to experiment and see what else I can find out. :)

Offline Stormi71

• Occult
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 12:51:29 AM »
My Sim is at level three violin. I thought she was higher as the skill book said "reread", so I thought she was at level four. So she tried to read the next book, but she got tense from it being too hard.
So does reread not mean she's finished with the book?

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 01:11:55 AM »
If it says reread, then she would be finished with that book. Maybe she needs to do the next level on her own before moving onto the next book.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

anything