Author Topic: Self-Employment?  (Read 27263 times)

Offline wearestarrdust

• Llama Wrangler
Self-Employment?
« on: September 07, 2014, 12:24:47 AM »
Hi, I'm trying to work out if you can be self-employed in The Sims 4 like you could in The Sims 3.

If so, how does one go about this?

My sim has level 4 in gardening, which she could make a career of while she focus' on 'collecting' but I see no option for it. I don't -really- want to give her a 'proper' career if I don't have too.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
Re: Self-Employment?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 01:50:59 AM »
There are no self-employment careers in sims 4. Just live of the land like we did in sims 3 before ambitions came.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline wearestarrdust

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 02:01:57 AM »
Lolol, thanks. I suspected as much.

Might just make her an astronaut or something for collectable options.

Offline jillz

• Origin ID: Charzof
  • Townie
  • Knitter. Gamer. Geek.
    • The New Adventures of Priska
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 05:30:12 AM »
The only reasons for a 'proper' career is that you get rewards objects that are unlocked as you progress and outfits in CAS. I have Painter, Chef & Astronaut unlocked in one game and all of those work outfits are in my CAS now.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 01:38:04 PM »
Are there rewards other than outfits, jillz?  That super fridge we get in Sims3 would be nice.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline jillz

• Townie
  • Knitter. Gamer. Geek.
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 02:16:20 PM »
There are lots of rewards for proper careers! Practically every time you get a promotion, there's a new object unlocked. If you look in your Buy menu, you can see some items aren't available to purchase, that's because you have to unlock them and if you look in the descriptions, you will see what career and what level

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline callycat

• Occult
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 07:08:33 AM »
The only reasons for a 'proper' career is that you get rewards objects that are unlocked as you progress and outfits in CAS. I have Painter, Chef & Astronaut unlocked in one game and all of those work outfits are in my CAS now.

I finished the chef branch of the Culinary career too, but the room that's supposed to be unlocked (the commercial kitchen one from styled rooms) is still showing as unavailable. Has yours unlocked? I'm wondering if it's a bug or something I haven't done yet that I haven't noticed. It's the only career I've maxed so far.
[they/them pronouns please]

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline jillz

• Townie
  • Knitter. Gamer. Geek.
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 07:28:39 AM »
I'll have to check! I forgot about the rooms when she maxed out her second career and she died so it might not be unlocked because of that too. I'll let you know though :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 07:37:50 AM »
It's a known bug, according to sims4 official forum.

Offline trickai

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 07:55:37 AM »
Most of the career unlocks are very nice, however I have also played as an artist as 'self employed' meaning I did not take a job and just lived off the sales of my paintings.  It is very doable as a painter.  Not sure about other ways to be self employed but I imagine entertainer (guitar for tips), gardener, fisher, would all be possible.  Someone else would need to comment on possibilities beyond painter, since my only actual experience is painting.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 03:52:41 PM »
I finished the chef branch of the Culinary career too, but the room that's supposed to be unlocked (the commercial kitchen one from styled rooms) is still showing as unavailable. Has yours unlocked? I'm wondering if it's a bug or something I haven't done yet that I haven't noticed. It's the only career I've maxed so far.

Me too, and I couldn't unlock the room either. I read somewhere (TS4 Forum) that it is a bug and one of the simgurus commented so I guess they might fix it through a patch maybe? Hopefully?
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 05:21:03 PM »
Self employment as a gardener is not very profitable for the amount of work it takes.  You either are constantly planting, tending, harvesting, selling or running around finding plants and selling and all for very little profit.  As the quality of your plants increases so does the amount you earn from it but my Sim barely could keep herself at a nice level and afford occasional home emprovements and upgrades.  When she married we remodeled the house so it makes her and her spouse very happy wherever they are but he's the one bringing in the money.  How traditional!

He's a chef but he's got creative for a trait and he gets quite inspired painting, which helps his cooking as well.  He brings in a nice profit from his paintings even at a fairly low level.  If he pays $100 to paint a large picture he sells it for $160 so that's not bad.  I noticed pop art does not sell well so don't waste your time and money there.  Maybe he's just not good enough at it yet since he's only painted one pop art picture value 0.

The way I kept my gardener in funds was dig, dig, dig and sell off what you find.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Echo

• Llama Wrangler
  • Derp lerpa dwee
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 08:12:24 PM »
Even if you don't take a proper (salaried) job, you can still get by with many different item-production skills, like painting and writing.  And if you're of a technical bent you can hack or enter professional game tournament.  But none of those will give you career ranks for self employment like Ambitions did.

anything