Author Topic: Changing Career Branch?  (Read 108744 times)

Offline MeesterPepper

• Nooboo
Changing Career Branch?
« on: September 05, 2014, 03:40:09 PM »
Has anybody figured out a way to go back and change a Sim's career choice? For instance, my Sim when into the Tech Guru field and went into eSports, but I'd like him to go back now and go into other branch and I can't seem to get him demoted back to before that decision or to reset the job listing on the computer.

If it's not possible, then, c'est la vie, I'll raise a different Sim to go unlock the rewards that come with that career, but it'd be so much easier to not have to grind out the Programming skill again.

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
Re: Changing Career Branch?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 03:53:50 PM »
Welcome to our Forum, MeesterPepper.

No, can't change branch like in sims3 anymore.  Once you choose a branch, no matter how many times you quit and retake the job, your branch remains the same.  I'm afraid you will have to make another sim to get into the other branch, unless you have a previous save before your sim's career branches out.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MeesterPepper

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 04:19:14 PM »
Thanks for such a quick reply & answer!

That's too bad; hopefully that's something EA will change with a later patch or EP. I hate those little grey, locked item boxes in Buy Mode, and the completionist in me won't be sated until I've unlocked them all. If that means a second all-careers Sim, so be it.

Offline ams12277

• Nooboo
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 09:24:51 PM »
So does that mean that my sim that completed the master chef aspiration and celebrity chef career can't complete the mixologist aspiration since she can't go through the mixologist career track?

If so...**! I should have read here before getting her to quit her super profitable job!

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 07:21:28 AM »
I have recently discovered this *flaw* as well. I say flaw and not bug because I do not know if it is intentional or not on the part of Maxis.

Within my sim family, I have completed all careers, all branches, but, of course, I want some sims to complete all careers and all branches on their own.   ::)

I first discovered that once you choose a career branch, you can't go back and try the other one, when I tried to re-join the Culinary Career, intending to become a Mixologist this time, in order to complete the Mixology Aspiration, just as ams12277 mentioned. That seems to be a common way of running into this issue.

That sim of mine was first a Tech Guru-Start Up Entrepreneur Branch, then in the Culinary Career-Chef Branch, then Criminal-Boss Branch, then a Painter-Patron of the Arts Branch. When I went to choose his fifth career, I had already taken into account which aspirations he had yet to complete, which weren't many. I still needed to join the Mixology Branch of the Culinary Career Track in order to complete the Master Mixologist Aspiration.

So, when I went to choose my fifth career, I noticed some odd things. The usually careers were listed differently. Any career that I had previously completed to level 10 had a new name. Instead of "Culinary, "Tech Guru," "Criminal," and "Painter," I was given the choices: "Chef," "Start Up Entrepreneur," "Boss Branch," and Patron of the Arts."

In other words, if you go to rejoin a career that you have already completed, you will actually be joining that career at "Level 6" in the branch that you previously chose.

Furthermore, when you join that career, it will not actually be called Level 6. For instance, I joined the "Chef" career, and I am now a "Level 1 Chef," with the title of "Head Caterer." "Head Caterer" is really the Level 6 job title of someone in the Culinary Career, after they choose the Chef Branch.

To complicate things further...
I joined the "Chef Career" having not yet completed the "Master Chef" Aspiration. I am in Step 2/4. One criteria for completion of that step is "Reach Level 5 in the Culinary Career." Well, since I am considered a "Level 1 Chef," I only show credit for completing 1 of 5 levels of the Culinary Career itself. I will have to wait until I reach "Level 5" of the "Chef" career, which is actually Level 10 of the Culinary Career, in order to get credit for reaching Level 5 of the Culinary Career.

Unfortunately, at this point, it looks like this sim will not ever be able to complete the Master Mixologist Aspiration.

For Reference:
There are 4 Aspirations that have requirements related to career promotion and only one specifies a branch of that career.

1. Public Enemy:
For Step 3, you must reach Level 4 of the Criminal Career.
For Step 4, you must reach Level 8 of the Criminal Career, but it does not specify which branch. *However, given my experience, you must try to complete this step on your first time around in the Criminal Career because, as I mentioned above, when you join a career for the second time, it starts at Level 6, but counts it as Level 1, so during your second time in any career, the highest Career Level you can attain (or get credit for attaining) is Level 5.

2. Master Chef
For Step 3, you must reach Level 5 of the Culinary Career.

3. Master Mixology
For Step 4, you must join the Mixology Branch of the Culinary Career.

4. Computer Whiz
For Step 3, you must reach Level 2 of the Tech Guru Career.
For Step 4, you must reach Level 5 of the Tech Guru Career.

**So basically, if you want your sim to complete all aspirations, he or she must join the Mixology Branch of the Culinary Career. He or she much also join the Tech Guru and Criminal Careers, but it does not matter which branch they choose.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 07:42:26 AM »
Thanks for such a quick reply & answer!

That's too bad; hopefully that's something EA will change with a later patch or EP. I hate those little grey, locked item boxes in Buy Mode, and the completionist in me won't be sated until I've unlocked them all. If that means a second all-careers Sim, so be it.
I just wanted to make sure you knew that if you unlock them for one Sim, they won't be unlocked for households without that Sim.  So the only way you could see them all unlocked is if all the Sims that were in those jobs are in the same household.

Offline Ciosa

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 10:11:52 AM »
I just wanted to make sure you knew that if you unlock them for one Sim, they won't be unlocked for households without that Sim.  So the only way you could see them all unlocked is if all the Sims that were in those jobs are in the same household.

If a sim completes level ten of a branch and then dies or moves out, the items don't remain unlocked for that household?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Devin

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 03:06:03 PM »
Does anybody know if they plan on fixing this so that you're able to complete both branches of each career with a single sim? It sounds like it might be by design, but the design us undesirable since the player can make the choice not to change careers if that's the decision that they make.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 04:01:10 PM »
If a sim completes level ten of a branch and then dies or moves out, the items don't remain unlocked for that household?
I've heard that they become locked again at this point, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 12:56:11 AM »
(Quote) 4. Computer Whiz
For Step 3, you must reach Level 2 of the Tech Guru Career.
For Step 4, you must reach Level 5 of the Tech Guru Career.

**So basically, if you want your sim to complete all aspirations, he or she must join the Mixology Branch of the Culinary Career. He or she much also join the Tech Guru and Criminal Careers, but it does not matter which branch they choose." (end of quote)

I'll be choosing a Tech Guru branch soon.  I'd planned on Startup Entrepreneur but noticed that the Computer Whiz aspiration has a Tier 4 requirement of earning $5,000 from livestreaming or video game tournaments. It's my understanding that the livestreaming option is only available to the esports gamer. 
So to complete this aspiration as a Startup Enterpreneur, I'd have to earn $5,000 from video game tournaments?

Lol, I wanted to choose Startup Entrepreneur to avoid having to play video game tournaments....
Could anyone confirm if I'm getting this right?  An esports gamer can earn $5,000 from livestreaming and/or video game tournaments, an entrepreneur can only earn it from video game tournaments.

For the Food aspirations, this is old news but you can complete both Food aspirations and Culinary branches with one sim.
1) Join the Culinary/Chef career and complete the Food/Master Chef requirement for Tier 3: Reach level 5 in Culinary Career (before you need to choose a branch).
    (the rest of the Master Chef requirements aren't linked to the Chef career, so you can complete them anytime)
2) Next, quit the Chef career for the Mixologist career
    (At Tier 3, Beverage Boss, the Food/Master Mixologist path requires you to join the Mixology career)
3) After maxing the Master Mixologist aspiration and Mixologist career, you can return to finish the Master Chef aspiration and Chef career.

I've never posted at this wonderful forum before. I hope I'm making sense up there.

Edited to eliminate the unneeded Step 2 as pointed out by Zyffyr. Thanks!

Offline Zyffyr

• Townie
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 01:32:14 PM »
I'll be choosing a Tech Guru branch soon.  I'd planned on Startup Entrepreneur but noticed that the Computer Whiz aspiration has a Tier 4 requirement of earning $5,000 from livestreaming or video game tournaments. It's my understanding that the livestreaming option is only available to the esports gamer. 
So to complete this aspiration as a Startup Enterpreneur, I'd have to earn $5,000 from video game tournaments?

Lol, I wanted to choose Startup Entrepreneur to avoid having to play video game tournaments....
Could anyone confirm if I'm getting this right?  An esports gamer can earn $5,000 from livestreaming and/or video game tournaments, an entrepreneur can only earn it from video game tournaments.

That is correct, but it isn't as big of a problem as you might think since the higher skill requirement tournaments have higher payouts - Winning a professional Hillock II tournament (the highest possible payout for all games) is worth $4995, only $5 short of fulfilling the requirement on its own.

For the Food aspirations, this is old news but you can complete both Food aspirations and Culinary branches with one sim.
1) Join the Culinary/Chef career and complete the Food/Master Chef requirement for Tier 3: Reach level 5 in Culinary Career (before you need to choose a branch).
    (the rest of the Master Chef requirements aren't linked to the Chef career, so you can complete them anytime)
2) Next, quit the Chef career for the Mixologist career
    (At Tier 3, Beverage Boss, the Food/Master Mixologist path requires you to join the Mixology career)
3) After maxing the Master Mixologist aspiration and Mixologist career, you can return to finish the Master Chef aspiration and Chef career.

I've never posted at this wonderful forum before. I hope I'm making sense up there.

Since a)you don't chose a path until later on and b)once you do you can't change it, your instructions are somewhat incorrect and step 2 is entirely pointless.

The entire process is this :
Join the Culinary career. Work on the requirements of the two achievements in whatever order you feel like. When the time comes, pick Mixologist.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 05:55:59 AM »
@Zyffyr. Thank you for correcting my steps for the Culinary aspirations, which I have since revised.
Also, I appreciate your tips about the Tech Guru/gamer branch.  I did one novice tournament and got $62 in third place in Hilblock (or whatever it's called), so I got discouraged, lol.  I played again after raising my Video Gaming level, though, and earned more. Still not the pro level you mentioned.
I chose the entrepreneur branch but bought a motion sensor gaming mat for the little son so he'll have an edge.

I'm awful at action games irl, so thanks for reminding me that these are Sims 4 gaming tournaments.  (^_^)

Offline DarkWalker

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 09:12:28 AM »
The bit about starting back at the first level when rejoining a career branch is most likely a bug. I don't think a sim is ever meant to be in a career path without having the base career maxed, but when the sim leaves the career and starts another with a different base career his current base career seems to be reset.

I didn't test it myself, but AFAIK there is a way to change career branches, though it has many side-effects: export the household and then start the game anew with it. You will lose many things when doing this (see http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/780408/things-retained-and-lost-after-transferring-a-household-to-a-new-save for more details), though.

(Well, potentially someone could move all inventory items from the sim being exported to other sims, export the household, delete from the exported household all other household members, start a new game with the remaining sim, join the career you want to start anew, export again, and merge the sim now in the desired career back with the rest of the household in the original game. A lot of work, and if you do try that, keep a backup of the game.)

anything