Author Topic: Sims 4 Building/Remodeling Thread  (Read 183343 times)

Offline Indira

• Occult
Re: Sims 4 Building/Remodeling Thread
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2014, 05:34:41 AM »
I've always built for my own sims but I've been a a bit shy about showing other people.
I used to think like this too. But seeing how other people's work has given me ideas as well as inspiration, I'd like to think that whatever it is I can share can also fire up others.

My current project is a castle. Initially, I wanted to replicate Hikone, one of Japan's national treasures. But I was daunted by the intricate roofing and the many levels needed. Then I came across this castle called Neuschwanstein, which is in Germany. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/Neuschwanstein_castle.jpg If you google it, you can see some images of paper castles based on this. It simplified everything. Took me roughly 5 hours to set up the overall shape based on pictures and descriptions. (includes coffee break)
I hope I get to finish this soon. **fingers crossed**

Offline dnagirl

• Townie
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2014, 09:25:42 PM »
My newest attempt is a modern A-frame.  It is in the very early stages and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.  I wish we had triangle windows.

I've also found out that if you bulldoze a lot and build a house on it, then upload that house on the Gallery, it does not list you as Original Owner.  It lists CM_Personaname or something like that. 

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2014, 09:30:54 PM »

I've also found out that if you bulldoze a lot and build a house on it, then upload that house on the Gallery, it does not list you as Original Owner.  It lists CM_Personaname or something like that.

I found this when I built Blue Heaven.Not sure what I did exactly, but somewhere in the editing, that name dropped and it now says that it's by me!

**edit** Found out what to do - when you first save the build to your library, you need to choose Save New when it tells you that the template already exists in your library.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline dnagirl

• Townie
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2014, 10:24:54 PM »
Thanks Twinmum!

Offline ManiSims

• Occult
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2014, 11:11:43 AM »
This may be a dumb question, but how do you make walls taller (if you can)? When placing windows I saw the option for large windows but it said I needed a taller wall or something.  Does it have to do with the "roof walls" or something?

Offline dnagirl

• Townie
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2014, 11:17:02 AM »
This may be a dumb question, but how do you make walls taller (if you can)? When placing windows I saw the option for large windows but it said I needed a taller wall or something.  Does it have to do with the "roof walls" or something?

Click on the wall to select the room.  You'll see a square bubble pop up that has the controls to move the room (there is a cross of arrows, then two rotating arrows to the sides of that cross).  Right above the move/rotate controls in that bubble are three rectangles and those represent wall height.  Just click on the one you want!

Edit:  Here's a photo of the bubble, since sometimes my explanations don't make sense.  I've put a circle around the wall height tool.

Offline ManiSims

• Occult
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2014, 07:49:11 PM »
Wow, that was really simple.  :o   I feel dumb now. Thank you dnagirl!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline dnagirl

• Townie
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2014, 10:25:39 PM »
You're welcome!  Don't feel dumb, the controls for this sometimes feel very unintuitive.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2014, 07:27:41 AM »
I've built my first house in Sims 4!  I used an empty lot in Oasis Springs and I call it Arid Carina.  Haha!  This is the home of Carina Dreamweaver, her husband Don Lothario, and their two children Caesar and Apollo.  I used the styled rooms and it was quite easy to do.  Even the roof was easy.  Very nice building tools for those who aren't big into building.  I got a great house with little effort.

For old times' sake, here's a picture of Carina working in her garden.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Dellena

« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2014, 07:47:28 AM »
Nice job, Pam. :)  It's good to see how Sims 4 is getting more people into building and feeling more confident about it.

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2014, 08:13:30 AM »
Your house looks great ! It has a nice modern feel to it .  :)
Memories have no expiration date .
ladybug53's Studio

Offline Indira

• Occult
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2014, 08:31:28 AM »
I like your color theme. And Bamboos!

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2014, 03:02:09 AM »
My newest attempt is a modern A-frame.  It is in the very early stages and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.  I wish we had triangle windows.

Oh my gosh, this looks great, it looks exactly like an A-frame house I pass each day on my way to work!
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Indira

• Occult
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2014, 04:20:30 PM »
I am liking your front yard Pam. Looks pretty neat. The color of furniture inside the house is also refreshing to the eyes. Reminds me of green apples.
Having a filter in the build/buy section is truly awesome!

My current project right now is on a 50x50 lot. I expect it would take me a lot longer than usual to finish all the details to my liking and satisfaction. Last night, I was "trying" to patiently play a legacy family for the first time. (but I play with long sim life). Then, when my founder sim was able to convince another sim to move in, I had enough funds to make a few walled rooms...and I got distracted with ideas of future house plans when they get married and have kids and grandkids. Needless to say, I didn't make much progress with my legacy story as I was more inclined to draw plans and start building to see how it would look like.  ::) These are the initial part of my creation.

This simple wooden house will be the first complete home for my founder and her partner in life when they get enough simoleons. It contains one bedroom and one bathroom. I noticed that it is harder to place objects/furniture when rooms/walls are diagonal. I'm not fond of diagonals right now but they look attractive.

When money starts pouring in, which I hope is soon, this will be the next house I build for them..slowly. It's empty inside. I merely built the shell of the house.

This is how the 50x50 lot looks like with the two houses built in it.

The third picture shows I've barely filled the whole lot. There is still around 50% empty space for additional buildings/recreations. I'm very tempted to finish the whole lot. But I'm also wary of doing so because rebuilding the houses and landscaping again on my live game will take me a whole lot longer and subject to mistakes. It's a dilemma. I'll try breaking a few walls and save each floor as a "room". Perhaps that will work. But it will not include the landscaping.  :(

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2014, 07:03:21 PM »
I love the different looks that each of those houses have. It's great that we can now save the rooms and even whole houses to put down at a later time!

anything