Author Topic: Can't Get Writer's Block  (Read 16508 times)

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
Can't Get Writer's Block
« on: September 04, 2014, 06:54:10 PM »
I'm sorry if this is already posted in another forum. I couldn't find it anywhere else though, and I am new to the forums.

My experienced writer is trying to "Survive Writer's Block" for her aspiration.

No matter what I have her write, or, even if I just have her "practice writing," she never gets writer's block so I cannot advance to the next part of this aspiration.

Please help me if you can  :)

Offline Chare

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Can't Get Writer's Block
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 07:03:47 PM »
Is your sim inspired while writing? I remember Pinstar saying in his creator camp article that this seemed to help his sim avoid writer's block.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 08:59:26 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion.

I actually NEED to get writer's block, then take a bath to relieve it in order to complete the goal. Still haven't been able to do it...

Offline Freiyr

• Nooboo
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 10:49:25 PM »
Not that it is much help, since I am only theorizing here, but have you tried writing in different emotional states?  Perhaps Writer's Block will only occur when your sim is in a certain mood.

Offline JohnnyH87

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 09:42:08 AM »
I'm having this problem too. I've gotten to level 10 in the writing skill and the career, written dozens of books and not once gotten writers block.
Maybe my sim is just too happy and well adjusted to be a writer.

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 08:33:55 PM »
Okay, I FINALLY did it.

1. Have any sim get good at painting.
2. Get that sim angry by performing mean actions.
3. Click on the easel and paint "angry painting."
4. Make many angry paintings.
5. Create a separate room just to put angry paintings on the walls.
6. Put five easels in that room and fill them with angry paintings also.
7. "Enable Emotional Aura" on all angry paintings, if you haven't already. (I literally have 11 angry paintings enabled in that room.)
8. Place a desk, computer, and chair in that room. **Make sure you don't use one of the chairs that inspires an emotion.
9. Have your writer sim walk into the room and "View Angry Painting."
*This is important. Just being in the room isn't enough. Viewing the painting will make the sim "very angry."
10. Make the writer sim write for hours. Keep giving him or her new things to write if they finish others.

= After about 15 hours of very angry writing, my sim achieved "Beat Writer's Block" and moved on to step 2 of the Best Selling Author Aspiration.

A lot of work just to get to step 2!  :)

Offline Chare

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 09:19:23 PM »
A lot of work just to get to step 2!  :)

Seriously. lol. Congrats on figuring it out tho.  ;)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 01:19:40 AM »
Wow, that was some major work on your part - congrats on getting it figured out :)

Offline khynnea

• Nooboo
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 01:29:37 AM »
Glad you figured it out, I was worried that it would be hard after seeing this thread.

I was able to get writer's block just by writing 3 books in a row without taking a break more or less, but I'd already finished the painting aspirations so I had been able to purchase the reward for not needing sleep. I did not need to worry about not being inspired (I was very inspired to inspired much of it), but I eventually just got worn out from it (like fatigued in exercising).

Offline Echo

• Llama Wrangler
  • Derp lerpa dwee
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 08:00:18 AM »
Not sure how I managed it, but my first writer sim completed the "Beat writer's block" requirement without any effort on my part.  I think it is because on her first day of work she went in with no positive moodlets at all, and came home with the "Boring Work" moodlet.  8 hours of boring work should give any writer the chance to beat their own demons, I guess.   Funny that she's got that requirement complete but she hasn't written a single word on the PC yet so the book requirement is at 0/2.

Offline Variosities

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 12:17:04 AM »
My write has the Loner trait, so I sent her to the library and made her write books. About half way through the second one, she had to go to the bathroom. When she finished that, I tried to send her back to write, but all the writing options except scrap book were greyed out. So I had her give herself a pep talk in the mirror. That took care of the writers block requirement.

By the end of the sim week she was level 3 in both aspiration and job.

Offline wearestarrdust

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 06:54:34 AM »
Do you actually have to wait until a moodlet appears? Ie. hey you have writers block!

Or is it just kinda automatic?

Offline MissTrips

• Townie
  • Fnord.
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 07:29:02 AM »
I finally got it on my writer.  I picked a day where she had no work, topped off all her needs and sat her down in front of the computer to 'Practice Writing'.  Then I turned off free will for controlled characters and kept her my active choice so she wouldn't try to wander off task.  No added buffs, she was just 'Happy'.  9 hours later and writers block finally popped.
We hobbits are plain, quiet creatures. Adventures make one late for dinner.

Offline Variosities

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 09:10:46 PM »
I didn't see a Writer's Block moodlet. The indication is all writing activities except Scrap are greyed out. I'm not sure how long it took, but having the loner trait seems to have helped, since I had my writer work in the library.

Offline kixdsky

• Nooboo
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 03:13:31 PM »
1) Max out all your bars if you can.
2) Practice writing.
3) Continue practicing writing for about 6-7 hours.  It took me 6 hours.  I also did it while not inspired but she was happy because she is a lone wolf and was alone in the house.
4) Got the moodlet for writer's block and she automatically stopped writing.
5) Spend the next four hours getting your bars back up again and doing other sundry tasks until the moodlet wears off.
6) Collect your achievement.

anything