Author Topic: "Maintain Focus" for video gaming (Computer Whiz)  (Read 16681 times)

Offline jesirose

• Occult
"Maintain Focus" for video gaming (Computer Whiz)
« on: September 04, 2014, 02:08:02 PM »
How do you do that? I had my Sim be focused, and then play video games on the computer, but after 4 hours the task still hadn't been achieved.
- Jessica

Offline Tenderroast

• Nooboo
Re: "Maintain Focus" for video gaming (Computer Whiz)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 02:12:36 PM »
when they finish the game, it should go through

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline jesirose

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 02:16:10 PM »
I ended up stopping the playing because it had been so long, and it did not register still.
- Jessica

Offline Echo

• Llama Wrangler
  • Derp lerpa dwee
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 02:44:33 PM »
Not sure where your problem came from unless there was some interruption of the focus mood.  One of my tasks was to game for 2 hours while focused,  I had him start gaming and waited 2 hours, then 3, then 4 with no completion.  When I had him stop playing, that's when the task showed as completed.

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 04:21:02 PM »
I am having a really hard time achieving this task. I try to become focused by playing chess, but then my sim, if playing with others, wins and become confident instead. I know they can have more than one emotion at once, but the confident emotion seems to outweigh the focused emotion.

I thought I had finally achieved this task, but nothing happened. So I waited for all emotions to wear off, played chess along until focused then went right to the computer to play games.

*Now here's where it could be a possible bug, but also a guide for how to maintain focus for video games: Right when I started playing video games, while focused, the second time, it immediately registered the achievement.

I feel like that may have been confusing so here it is laid out very simply:

To "Maintain Focus for 2 Hours of Video Gaming:"

1. Get focused by playing chess (there are other ways, too, but chess worked for me in this instance).
2. Play video games for 2 hours.
3. Stop.
4. You should get the achievement, but you won't (or might not)
5. Wait for all emotions to wear off.
6. Play chess again until becoming focused.
7. Play a video game and instantly be rewarded for the achievement.

Offline jesirose

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 04:21:48 PM »
I tried it again and the third time it worked, must have been an issue with stacked emotions.
- Jessica

Offline sdinger70

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 02:34:52 PM »
I had trouble with this one also. I used the "Browse Simpedia" option on the computer to get the Focused emotion, though.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 07:34:25 AM »
I had no problem with this. My geek likes to go out collecting, so he had 2 gems that gave the focused emotion activated and on his computer desk.

That made completing "Maintain Focus" really easy. :)

Offline MissTrips

• Townie
  • Fnord.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 06:00:23 AM »
I had a little bit of problem with this, he would play a game, but the achievement wouldn't register, so I picked 'enter a game tournament' instead while he was focused and that worked!  So if you're having problems try that!

I also had problems with writing for three hours focused while writing books, but 'practice writing' got the achievement to work.
We hobbits are plain, quiet creatures. Adventures make one late for dinner.

Offline Stormi71

• Occult
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 06:26:17 AM »
I had problems with this, too. My sim has the tech guru award trophy and I make her view that before using the computer. She stayed focused, but it didn't register the first time. I think it worked the next time I tried. Prior to that, every time I tried, she'd be interrupted because her housemate's baby would cry and she'd get up to attend to it!

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 07:15:15 PM »
If your sim is getting interrupted, try turning down free will just to complete the objective.

Offline DanteEDM

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 11:43:35 PM »
Hi,

I found that the pitch black tea gives you focus for 4 hours. I found that helps.

Dante

HazelS

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 12:32:08 PM »
I found that browsing Simpedia works a treat, my Tech Guru-to-be reads it as much as possible before going to work!

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 07:00:53 AM »
I found that the pitch black tea gives you focus for 4 hours. I found that helps.

This is great to know!! Thank you! I hadn't even bothered with tea or coffee much. I thought they were kind of irrelevant. I wonder if any of the other beverages can effect mood. I should check them out...

Thank you!

Offline dethdukk

• Occult
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 01:43:26 PM »
This is pretty late, but:  you can get that achievement easiest by:  Researching on Simpedia.  Start a computer game.  Make sure you check what time you started.  After 2 hours, 10 minutes have passed, CANCEL THE PLAY GAME ACTION.  You must be focused at the time you STOP playing, or it won't count towards the Aspiration.
Knethen Immortal Dynasty
Double Time Dynasty Rules (A modification of the immortal dynasty)