Author Topic: Sims 4 - First Impressions  (Read 62122 times)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
Re: First Impressions
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2014, 03:43:01 PM »
Just an update on resetting the neighborhood — canning all the save files was indeed the trick. The only problem is how the heck are challenge players going to deal with this when they have other save files going on? It could potentially be a mess. Hopefully we'll work out clear cut instructions by that point.

To start a new file:  upper right hand corner, press the + sign. Press the save icon next to it to load previous saves.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline JonMom2009

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2014, 04:22:56 PM »
1. I put a pre-made kitchen on my lot and a fire started on the stove! Couldn't call the fire department or anything else but extinguish fire since I did not have a fire alarm! Couldn't use the phone to call either. So be careful and check the kitchen for a fire alarm!

2. My female was able to take pregnancy test after trying for baby and instantly popped a preggo belly with positive results! No different outfits for maternity either!!

3. My female got pregnant just in time because and a good thing because my male died trying to put fire out!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Naria

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2014, 04:31:40 PM »
Like many others, I had to switch to Sims 3 camera controls. It's just easier! I haven't even tried fiddling with the keyboard shortcuts yet, I've never used them in 3 either...

I haven't gotten really in depth with anything yet because my Sim is still rather poor, so all the fancy build mode premade rooms that look so wonderful might be a ways off.

I am confused as to why there are no dishwashers, though. It just seems odd. And my Sims leave EVERYTHING out. All over the house! Bowls, plates, books... They don't have the 'Slob' trait, and there is a sink for washing the dishes.

Also on the subject of books, there was a bookshelf in the premade lot in Oasis Springs they put you in at first, but I can't figure out which ones are the skill books? Are there skill books?

I wish I could buy groceries, as well. I don't like the clicking on the fridge and making everything for money thing that much, but that's just a minor gripe and nothing making me angry  :P

I am anxious to see if when Sims work out they lose weight.

Offline jesirose

• Occult
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2014, 04:33:13 PM »
2. My female was able to take pregnancy test after trying for baby and instantly popped a preggo belly with positive results! No different outfits for maternity either!!

Awesome on the no different outfits@
- Jessica

Offline Kamxam

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2014, 04:38:39 PM »
Played it for a few hours last night and overall i like it for the most part. Some of the things i like or dislike about it have been already mentioned, but will mention it anyhow.
1) I really like the emotion system, it makes the sims a lot more alive imho. For instance, i made a sim couple in the CaS but as i couldn't figure out how to have them married from the get go so i had to level the romance naturally. Took a few real hours but finally got them in love and had them elope. What was funny is that during that time  i had the female do a seductive (Or was it flirty?) pose and she turned around and wiggled her buns at her boyfriend. Just really loved the look in his eyes when he saw that. :)
2) I like the buying screen although i'm not fond of it being lumped together with the build screen also. And for the life of me, i haven't figured out how to rotate the stuff i buy yet. lol   (Probably something easy but will look for it later) Haven't built anything yet but do like the more numerous options in the sims 4.
3) Neighborhoods are nice but i do miss the open world aspect in a way and the no loading screens when going somewhere. Granted, it takes almost no time to do loading, but it was nice not having it. Also, i liked the whole town view rather than the grey-white blocks we have now. Haven't even been able to find a town store to buy stuff at yet and not sure if there is one. (Didn't go too far into the game other than the house and romance thing.)
4) Jobs are decent, but i do wish we could follow or check on your sims to where they work and have some influence on that. To me, i feel it's been dumbed down in some respect. It's not bad but they could have made it better i think.
I feel a lot of this will most likely be added in expansions and DLC and such but in a lot of ways it seems a little too consolized compared to the Sims 3. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game and i'll get used to it eventually but i feel if they merged the sims 3 open neighborhood and the sims 4 emotions system it would have been a lot better to work with.
And strangely i haven't had much of a problem with the camera yet.... :D

Offline Echo

• Llama Wrangler
  • Derp lerpa dwee
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2014, 04:54:11 PM »
My geeky sim was feeling tense after work, so I had him sit down and play "Sims Forever" on his PC.  I had to laugh when I looked at his PC screen and saw his own little sims running around on fire just like I used to do when I played the original game :)

Offline simchuff

• Origin ID: chuffman86
  • Llama Wrangler
  • You can call me Corey :)
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2014, 05:10:13 PM »
but in a lot of ways it seems a little too consolized compared to the Sims 3.
Exactly! That was my feeling, it seems so console made, just not right for the PC, and I think it's going to bother me for some time.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2014, 05:23:18 PM »
To start a new file:  upper right hand corner, press the + sign. Press the save icon next to it to load previous saves.

Thank you so much, Marian. I feel pretty foolish I did not catch that. The big triangle at the bottom right was staring at me in the face.

Offline tonycdh

• Townie
  • What does the llama say?
    • Me
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2014, 05:29:24 PM »
So far, everything runs really well.  Theres a good flow i suppose.  Its not much like the sims 3.  Like other people have said, it is a bit cartoony which I dont care for, but its not a killer for me.  Also, I made the mistake this morning of moving my demo cas files over to the sims game to import all my people that i created in cas demo after playing a couple hours last night.  Well, sims 4 would not load up at all, so i had to uninstall since i did not make a backup of the original folder.  Oh well, my mistake.  Im a big cheater so Im hoping more cheats come out soon!  Theres a few, but not like the sims 3.  Sims 4 is still in its infancy, It will get better. :-)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2014, 05:29:57 PM »
Thank you so much, Marian. I feel pretty foolish I did not catch that. The big triangle at the bottom right was staring at me in the face.

I had to learn about it from someone else, too.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Zyffyr

• Townie
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2014, 06:25:42 PM »
A little amusing anecdote I neglected to put in my initial thoughts regarding the action queues. I had my sim taking a Bubble Bath and noticed that his hunger was getting low so I queued up an action to eat Yogurt. He immediately hopped out of the bath and ran to the kitchen to get the Yogurt. He then returned to the bath and ate while he played in the tub.

BTW, I too missed the 'Start New Game' option thanks to the big button in the lower right.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2014, 06:49:45 PM »
Remember, folks, you need to start a new Miscellaneous Help thread if you're asking about a specific issue.  This thread is to discuss your first impressions, not to get help on issues.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline kymber13

• Nooboo
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2014, 06:55:41 PM »
I played for about 2 hours last night, and today for about 4.  I have the same issues with the camera noted by others; when my Sim was fishing, I couldn't zoom in on her to see what she caught.  Game play is smoother, and I like that you don't spend so much time waiting for them to finish doing something that you don't have time for your Sims to actually have fun. There's less wasted time in that there's no driving to work, but after work the Sims come right home, whereas in Sims 3 you had the option to stay in town and eat at a restaurant or catch a movie. I still don't get how the Sims leave their neighborhood....there's no World View button to choose a venue or destination - what am I missing? I got pretty bored just playing in the neighborhood area around my Sim's home, but didn't know how to go anywhere else. There's a lot more Sim interaction, which is great for game play. I also like the new CAS, so much easier.....but all of the Sims look the same after a while because of the limited hair and clothing options...take a look at the Sims in the Gallery and you'll see what I mean. I'm not thrilled with their cartoony look. I miss CASt dearly! I loved all of the creative options and making patterns that could be utilized in game.  :'(   On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest, after my limited initial game play, I'd have to give it a 7. Hopefully that will improve as I learn how to navigate in the game and visit venues and other neighborhoods.

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2014, 07:26:52 PM »
Oh my gosh. My sim has been in labor forever! And, I never figure out how to change her name to her husband's. It didn't change when they got married. She just went to work. While she's in labor. Poor sim.

Offline Susinok

• Townie
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2014, 07:43:48 PM »
I love the speed of the game. I have not played TS3 in a while since I really got tired of lag and stuttering and slow renders. Now with TS4 and the same computer, everything is so much faster.

I have discovered that you can rotate the camera with the < and > keys while you are mousing and building things. It helps a lot. Building is a bit awkward yet, for me, but I will get used to it. It took me a LONG time to find the move house button. It's on the top middle bar, on the right end, + shaped icon.

The game does seem a bit limited, but then again, it's starting from scratch. I am looking forward to finding all of the little quirks and fun stuff in this. I will have fun building rooms and houses and uploading them, I just know it. Plus, you know.. play. :)

anything