Author Topic: Sims 3 freezing, not saving and stops working  (Read 32560 times)

Offline lahaygood

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Sims 3 freezing, not saving and stops working
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2014, 02:42:52 AM »
oh, I'd say it has been 3 or 4 months anyway.  perhaps a complete reinstall might be in order based on the problems I've had recently?  if you have notes and it's not too much trouble, I would appreciate the instructions!
thank you!
LA
Have a Sims kinda day! 
hugs & smiles,
Annie

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2014, 12:51:24 PM »
Yeah that's what I'm thinking a reinstall maybe in order. As I was getting ready to grab my notes I did find this link that might be a little more helpful. As it has instructions for both the Origin (digital) and disc versions.

How to install The Sims 3 through Origin (or disc)
http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-install-the-sims-3-through-origin/

What we add to the uninstall process is after we've fully uninstalled Sims 3, we run Ccleaner and it's registry cleaner. -- http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

This helps clean up temporary files, internet cache files and other files that are left behind that are no longer being used, after uninstalling.

Then we usually install the base game, patch it up via the launcher. The last few times we've reinstalled, we've installed the super patch, just to be sure everything is good. As we've had glitches and crashes due to not being fully updated on the patches.

Super Patch (1.67)
http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/FAQ-Current-Patch-1-67-Manual-links-and-more/td-p/67858

After that, install the rest of the expansions and stuff packs. Let the game update as normal, it may give you a message that says something like already updated. That's okay, that's what it should be doing, if you patched with the super patch.

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline lahaygood

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2014, 09:49:23 PM »
awesome! thank you so much, Mrs. Flynn! you have spent mega amounts of time with me and my problem game.  I really appreciate it so much!

Update for today:  I checked the "run without CC" button in my launcher and proceeded to play off and on during the day.  I saved with the first time then from there on would "save as" adding a sequential number to the game as I went.  the game crashed a couple times today but on a whole, it played almost perfectly. 

I do think I'll do the reinstall you describe below.

:)  smooth simming compared to what life has been like the last couple weeks!  :)

Yeah that's what I'm thinking a reinstall maybe in order. As I was getting ready to grab my notes I did find this link that might be a little more helpful. As it has instructions for both the Origin (digital) and disc versions.

How to install The Sims 3 through Origin (or disc)
http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-install-the-sims-3-through-origin/

What we add to the uninstall process is after we've fully uninstalled Sims 3, we run Ccleaner and it's registry cleaner. -- http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

This helps clean up temporary files, internet cache files and other files that are left behind that are no longer being used, after uninstalling.

Then we usually install the base game, patch it up via the launcher. The last few times we've reinstalled, we've installed the super patch, just to be sure everything is good. As we've had glitches and crashes due to not being fully updated on the patches.

Super Patch (1.67)
http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/FAQ-Current-Patch-1-67-Manual-links-and-more/td-p/67858

After that, install the rest of the expansions and stuff packs. Let the game update as normal, it may give you a message that says something like already updated. That's okay, that's what it should be doing, if you patched with the super patch.

MrsFlynn
Have a Sims kinda day! 
hugs & smiles,
Annie

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2014, 10:40:33 PM »
I'm happy to hear your game didn't crash as much today. Yay!! I'm sorry I didn't ask if you were playing with custom content in your game, earlier. That stuff can sometimes wreak havoc on a game.

I don't think I've posted this, but do have link noted that helps with removing bad CC in case your interested in looking it over.

Removing Bad Custom Content
http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/custom-content-cc/bad-cc

MrsFlynn
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline lahaygood

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2014, 11:07:15 PM »
wow!  you are a treasure with all your links and information!  I started deleting CC the other day after you and Khaine mentioned it, but then found the button on the launcher so clicked that too, in case I missed anything.

making myself a Sims3 folder just from this thread!
:)
thanks!
LA
Have a Sims kinda day! 
hugs & smiles,
Annie

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2014, 11:51:12 PM »
Ah good idea. That's how my notes started. Created a folder on my hard drive called Sims 3 notes and started taking notes here and there about the game.

MrsFlynn

Offline lahaygood

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2014, 09:20:15 AM »
since I am saving and renaming so often, is it ok to just delete the renamed games?
thanks!
LA
Have a Sims kinda day! 
hugs & smiles,
Annie

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2014, 12:14:39 PM »
I'd keep at least a back up of one or two of the older save-games at a time. Just in case you end up needing them later. But the rest you can delete.

MrsFlynn

Offline lahaygood

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2014, 12:23:30 PM »
awesome.  not to start the reinstall of game.  that should keep me busy for err, hours?
:)
LA
Have a Sims kinda day! 
hugs & smiles,
Annie

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2014, 04:59:21 PM »
Yeah, the reinstall will take quite a few hours. The uninstall takes maybe a half-hour. But a full reinstall of the game will take a good 6 or more hours. Depending if you have all expansions and stuff packs.

This last reinstall we did, it took us about over 8 hours to install just the game. Not including store content.

I think if you need/want to you can break up the install into chunks. So for example you only have 3 hours to work on the install. You can pick it up later when you have more time. We've done it this way too.

MrsFlynn

Offline lahaygood

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2014, 08:03:48 PM »
based on how long it takes to install all the expansion packs and venues I'm sure it will take the better part of a day.  ah, well.... for the sake of smooth sims, it is worth it!
thanks bunches!
LA
Have a Sims kinda day! 
hugs & smiles,
Annie

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2014, 08:14:45 PM »
It takes me 8-10 hours to reinstall the game, all EP's and SP's.

I recommend having a few good movies on standby. ;)

Offline lahaygood

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2014, 09:43:14 PM »
thanks, Khaine!  sounds like great advice!  I can get a bit of sim withdrawal release by coming here and reading all y'all posts!
LA
Have a Sims kinda day! 
hugs & smiles,
Annie

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2014, 10:33:53 PM »
I'd definitely suggest having a stash of movies or tv shows to watch too.  This forum is a great place to get your Sims fix. ;)

Hopefully the install is going smoothly?

MrsFlynn

Offline lahaygood

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2014, 09:31:17 AM »
Today is marked as reinstall day so it hasn't started yet for me, but will be going shortly as the day gets rolling. y'all are the best!
will keep you updated as the day rolls on...
is it ok to update here?
LA
Have a Sims kinda day! 
hugs & smiles,
Annie