Author Topic: Sims 3 freezing, not saving and stops working  (Read 26376 times)

Offline lahaygood

• Llama Wrangler
Sims 3 freezing, not saving and stops working
« on: August 08, 2014, 09:03:55 PM »
Hi,
I have multiple issues with my sims 3 at this point. I've been going through past posts and have thus far done the 1/4 reset of the game outlined here; completed these steps: Sims 3 game won't save:

I have a few things you can try:

1. Look in you Saves folder.  If there is a file in there with the extension .bad, that can be the cause.  Delete it.
2. Make sure you do not have any thing in the CurrentGame.sims3 folder
3. Remove your Saves folder (put it on the desktop).  Start a new game (a new Saves folder will be created) and see if that saves.  If it does, one of your Saved games is corrupt.  Put your other games back in one at a time and test each one to see if they will save now.

4.  This is directly from SimWiki and is a handy way to save your game before you actually Quit the game:
In your game folders there is a folder named CurrentGame.sims3
"This contains the data used in the currently loaded Save game, when The Sims 3 is running. During a save procedure this folder would be renamed as you specified and transferred to the Saves folder.

If at any time, the Save procedure results in an error or is stalled, you can simply copy this whole folder into the Saves folder yourself before exiting the game, and rename it to <Current>.sims3 or something that you'll be able to identify later. It just needs to be different from the actual name of the Save that you loaded". (note In your case, you might want to put that folder with your current game on your desktop first.

After quitting the game, ensure the contents of this folder is empty before starting the next game.

since a complete upgrade on my laptop, I've had problems with my sims 3.  currently I have a samsung Q430 laptop that now has 8 GB ram and 1 TB harddrive.  my graphics card is also adequate.  All my sims 3 are the origin download versions.

Issues:
1. game only saves occasionally but not at all lately.
2. the last 2 days, the game just freezes up or stops and i get the  sims 3 has stopped working message window.

please give me something I can try.  I hate to delete this little family I've been playing with since january this year since I came back to sims.
thanks!
LA
Have a Sims kinda day! 
hugs & smiles,
Annie

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Sims 3 freezing, not saving and stops working
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 10:08:46 PM »
Thank you for posting the error message. That really helps when it comes to searching for tips and tricks to help fix the problems.

How old is your save game (sim weeks/days)?

It sounds like it's an older game. But if you're willing to do a test-game. Give this a try.

Save a copy of your Sim family. Create a new game. Then play that family for awhile to see if it lags and or can't save. If it still lags or can't save, then we need to dig deeper. But if it works better then it sounds like your game maybe getting to big. Best suggestion I've found is to save back a copy of the family in house and start a new game with them.

After awhile of playing Sims, in-game time and real time wise. Things can go wonky within the game and it's just best to give it a new start.

Something else you may try is going over your family's inventory and their personal inventories to get rid of some of their stuff. Stuffed inventories causes lag as well.

Something that I see that might help that isn't on your list is to delete the cache files - (socialCache.package, Sims3Logs.xml, simCompositorCache.package, scriptCache.package, compositorCache.package, CasPartCache.package)

-- Also delete everything except Ccmerged.package file in your DCBackup folder.

-- Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > DCBackup

If you'd like to read up on some more tips here's a link to have a peek at.

Game Crashes (CTD) Example: Sims 3 Stopped Working
http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/error-game-crashes-ctd.html

I wanted to add a couple more links that might be helpful too.

How To: Save a Household
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,19060.0.html

Saving folders/files to use on a different computer or to use as backup
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,16414.msg313134.html#msg313134

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 10:34:32 PM »
And just to be clear, yes you did try all the steps you talked about in your post?

If not, give them a try. Specially #3.

MrsFlynn
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline lahaygood

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 12:51:11 AM »
Hi, Mrs. Flynn,

yes, I did all the things I included in my post as well as deleting the cache files you mentioned.  my game has just been running since january 2014 when I started playing sims 3 after a long hiatus from sims2. 

I haven't cleared out the inventories but will try that next.  I did savea copy in my library of my family household.  If I place them in another town, do you think that might help? 

I'm also going now to delete all but the ccmerged file in the DCBackup folder.  I've gotten rather attached to this family and hate to lose them. 

thank you!
will update after I try the new suggestions combined with the previously discussed steps.
Have a Sims kinda day! 
hugs & smiles,
Annie

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 02:26:53 PM »
It might help to clear out some of the extra items and things they aren't using. I know it has helped in my longer running games. But I also take my Sim family into a new fresh game every now and then, specially when playing them for more than a couple of months. Just to give the game a fresh start and keep it running better.

If you've got the family saved in the bin or library as I call it. And/or "Share" the family to save it to your Exports folder, and then back it up to some where safe. You shouldn't loose the family or their house.

I posted the link on how to "Share" the family in my previous post. But here it is, just in case it's needed. :)

How To: Save a Household
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,19060.0.html

I hope this helps, :)

MrsFlynn

==========
==========

I haven't cleared out the inventories but will try that next.  I did save a copy in my library of my family household.  If I place them in another town, do you think that might help? 

I'm also going now to delete all but the ccmerged file in the DCBackup folder.  I've gotten rather attached to this family and hate to lose them. 

Offline lahaygood

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 05:33:16 PM »
I have put them in the library now.  just to make sure I understand correctly.  when you say I should take them into a fresh new game, do you mean a different town or play through a different game, such as ambitions vs. world adventures? 
thanks so much!
LA
Have a Sims kinda day! 
hugs & smiles,
Annie

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 06:00:33 PM »
Take the family into a new game.

Load game, at main menu, click the + button to start a new game, pick a town - any town is fine and then place your family and play for awhile then try to save the game.

If you find that it plays well, it maybe that your old game is getting too bloated and corrupted. Save a backup copy of this new game for safe keeping. Then play the family in the new game.

MrsFlynn

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline lahaygood

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 11:12:29 PM »
okies.  moved the family to a new game.  game played very well until time to save.  still getting error 12 message that game is not saving.  i've saved and renamed the current game folder so going to try that in a new game now.  I have sent 3 teens to boarding school and have now reduced all sims inventories.

is this game just a lost cause?
thanks!
LA
Have a Sims kinda day! 
hugs & smiles,
Annie

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 11:26:30 PM »
Okay... I found this.

http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/03/error-save-errors-error-12-13-or-16.html

I saw in your original post that you have a load of RAM... so my next question is, are you using a lot of mods and/or custom content? Have you updated to the latest version (1.67) of the game?

Offline lahaygood

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 11:28:16 PM »
hi, Khaine,
i do have a ton of downloads, but not so many mods.  i think i have 3-6 mods.  do I need to uninstall some of my expansion packs?
thanks!
LA
Have a Sims kinda day! 
hugs & smiles,
Annie

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 11:36:14 PM »
I've had the Error 12 happen in a few of my older games. And yes, that sometimes means that something has hosed that particular game-save.

However you should be able to get in there and save your families/houses/community lots you have saved to the library and "Share" them to the Exports folder in your TheSims3 folder. Then from there be able to be used later.

Sounds like you tried to just use plain save? Have you tried Save As, giving the game a new name or a similar name to the old save, but with a number. For Example: SV-Fam2

Go to the link Khaine provided and scroll down to the suggestions for more tips.

Hopefully something on that list will help. Let us know if any of this helps or not.

MrsFlynn

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 12:05:41 AM »
I wouldn't uninstall any of your expansions or stuff packs, as that may mess up the game even further. As for removing the mods, that I'm not entirely sure. But maybe Khaine can help better with that one. :)

MrsFlynn

Offline lahaygood

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 12:08:49 AM »
Hi, Khaine and Mrs. Flynn. :)

going to work my way through the list on the link Khaine posted and trying to save game with "save as" to see if that will work.  I have already increased my virtual memory in my system settings so hopefully that will help a bit.
will update later!
I'll leave the expansion packs alone.  what about the downloaded content both CC and store downloads?

thanks bunches for hanging in here with me!
:)
LA

Have a Sims kinda day! 
hugs & smiles,
Annie

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 12:09:23 AM »
Leave store downloads, remove CC and mods.

If you use Nraas NoCD, that can stay. :)

Offline lahaygood

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 12:17:19 AM »
thanks, Khaine... going to download folder now.  :)
LA
Have a Sims kinda day! 
hugs & smiles,
Annie

anything