Author Topic: Long Loads: How to Shorten Them?  (Read 83756 times)

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
Re: Long Loads: How to Shorten Them?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 10:24:44 PM »
I like Auslogics BoostSpeed so much that after 18 months, I've just paid again to upgrade, voluntarily. All the utilities are far better than the ones that come with Windows, and give you as much or as little control as you want.

Edit to add: I don't know for sure how much it helps, but I regularly clear out the screenshots and save folders. The screenshots can be copied into a folder that's not in the game folder, and same with all but the most recent saves. I have literally hundreds of TS3 save files elsewhere on my hard drive, but they don't bog down my game as they probably would if kept in the Saves file.
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 11:16:38 PM »
Edit to add: I don't know for sure how much it helps, but I regularly clear out the screenshots and save folders. The screenshots can be copied into a folder that's not in the game folder, and same with all but the most recent saves. I have literally hundreds of TS3 save files elsewhere on my hard drive, but they don't bog down my game as they probably would if kept in the Saves file.

I think this does help.  I keep my screenshots cleaned out, too, and save them on my hard drive.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Leto85

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 04:27:12 PM »
Is this free? Will you ever have to pay for it? It usually takes about 5-10 minutes for the main menu to the in-game to load.

There is also a free version without timelimit use. Shall I PM you with detailed information?

Offline Beddy_Boop

• Townie
  • Concerto No. 2 (3rd Movement) - F. Seitz
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 07:51:39 AM »
There is also a free version without timelimit use. Shall I PM you with detailed information?
No, Thanks. I'm just using the method of deleting the DCBackup folder files to speed it up. But thank you though!

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 02:38:24 PM »
No, Thanks. I'm just using the method of deleting the DCBackup folder files to speed it up. But thank you though!

What do the DCBackup files do?
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 04:21:50 PM »
Rockinrobin posted a thread on the DCbackup files, have a look HERE.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 05:01:41 PM »
That's good to know. Can we empty the Downloads folder?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline wildredchild

• Immortal
  • Meet Sadie :)
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 05:39:16 PM »
That's good to know. Can we empty the Downloads folder?

Only if you want to lose all of your downloads from the store and whatnot.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 05:53:59 PM »
Sounds obvious, right? I just thought maybe once installed, they didn't need to be saved there. Thanks for the info.

Leto85

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 11:56:03 AM »
Sounds obvious, right? I just thought maybe once installed, they didn't need to be saved there. Thanks for the info.

Naa, they must been saved somewhere. I thought first only in the savefiles with the according lots I've placed them on. But I was wrong.

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Enjoy life and The Sims!
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 01:14:02 PM »
There are a few other temporary files you can safely delete that will help make loading certain information faster.  ;)

If you ever play in Riverview or Barnacle Bay don't forget to clean out your 'WorldCaches' file.  Don't delete the folder just the cache items inside.  The same holds true if you play a world that you created or downloaded from the exchange - the cache files for those worlds will also appear in this folder.  **** Don't do this step if you are on a MAC.

You also need to delete your other cache files (possibly up to four (4)) when you quit your game as they will regenerate when you start your next game.  These files and what they contain are as follows:
CasPartCache.package (CAS parts that appear in Create-A-Sim)
compositorCache.package (objects that would appear in Buy/Build mode)   
scriptCache.package  (if you have any mods or hacks)
simCompositorCache.package (for New Sims, default skins)

You can delete the 'userPresets.package' when it gets above 2 KB.  This file will also regenerate when you start your next game.

Read the Forum Rules, they were written for a reason!  
Visit the Sims 3 Swap Shop.

Leto85

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
You can delete the 'userPresets.package' when it gets above 2 KB.  This file will also regenerate when you start your next game.

Good to know, but what is the use of deleting the userPresets.package if the file will be regenerate after a game restart?

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 03:16:49 PM »
Probably because it propagates, getting unnecessarily larger each time the game starts.

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Enjoy life and The Sims!
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 03:27:17 PM »
Probably because it propagates, getting unnecessarily larger each time the game starts.

That's true.  I have had mine get as large as 32KB just testing it out and at that time I started getting lags and error codes.  It may be different for each person's play style and computer set-up.  This file slowly gets larger.  With the small amount of KB's one would think it would not make a difference in game play but it does.
Read the Forum Rules, they were written for a reason!  
Visit the Sims 3 Swap Shop.

Leto85

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2010, 09:04:53 AM »
With the small amount of KB's one would think it would not make a difference in game play but it does.

Yes indeed. How did you find that out? That it was that file and not another? Testing all the files available would be hard, and cut in your gameplay time.