Author Topic: The Sims 4 Discussion - Share your Opinion on TS4 and Gameplay Features  (Read 110159 times)

Offline immortalfrieza

• Nooboo
Re: The Sims 4 Discussion - Share your Opinion on TS4 and Gameplay Features
« Reply #195 on: July 30, 2014, 07:17:43 PM »
One question: I know Create a Style is gone, but what does that mean? Does that mean we're back to having just 3 or 4 colors and patterns of objects and clothes or do we still have a wide selection of premade colors and patterns to choose from? I don't mind not being able to create every color and pattern under the rainbow as long as the options we do have are reasonably varied.

Otherwise, I don't exactly mind the changes. I had pools but never really used them, and only went through raising a sim from infancy once just to experience it but never really wanted to go through it after that, it was too much of a hassle. I do wonder what they mean by that they're getting rid of the toddler stage though. Does that mean they're just going to stick with the baby stage and go to the child stage from there, or are they going to merge the baby and toddler stages together somehow?

Offline Simsperience

• Nooboo
« Reply #196 on: July 30, 2014, 11:12:21 PM »
One question: I know Create a Style is gone, but what does that mean? Does that mean we're back to having just 3 or 4 colors and patterns of objects and clothes or do we still have a wide selection of premade colors and patterns to choose from?

Well in the demo there are about 5-10 color options for most of the items.  It seems like items that can be used in multiple ways (such as separate skirts/pants and tops) have a lot of choices.  They have stated multiple times that the demo does not include everything that will be available in the base game, so I don't know if that means they will be adding in more colors and styles (I sure hope so though!).  There are times where I would like to maybe pick a different color, but the choices are not hideous by any means.

Some items have less color choices, and some have more.  But 5-10 seems about average

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #197 on: July 30, 2014, 11:15:31 PM »
One question: I know Create a Style is gone, but what does that mean? Does that mean we're back to having just 3 or 4 colors and patterns of objects and clothes or do we still have a wide selection of premade colors and patterns to choose from? I don't mind not being able to create every color and pattern under the rainbow as long as the options we do have are reasonably varied.

I think we will have to wait for the game to discover how this works fully, especially for furniture and items. For clothing, we only have the create a sim demo to go by for now and it could be a reduced version (with fewer item choices) of what we will see in game. For now, some items of clothing have as few as 4 colour choices, while others have more than 20.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline bubbles

• Dynasty Novice
  • Watcher
« Reply #198 on: July 31, 2014, 02:52:01 AM »
I do wonder what they mean by that they're getting rid of the toddler stage though. Does that mean they're just going to stick with the baby stage and go to the child stage from there, or are they going to merge the baby and toddler stages together somehow?

Somewhere one of the sim gurus said that the baby and toddler stages haven't been merged and the  baby will age into child. However, they have also said that there is a possibility that they could add toddlers in my patch or expansion. I'll see if I can find the links for this.

Edit: Found it!

Babies and Toddlers were not combined. we know that they're distinctly different and di not want to shoehorn them in.

(Source:  SimGuruGraham)

SimGuruGraham also said that there is nothing stopping them from adding toddlers later.

There’s nothing preventing adding additional ages as the game evolves. CASt is a good example of a feature that is not technically feasible to add post launch.

(Source: SimGuruGraham)
Bubbles's Workshop
Friends are like potatoes; if you eat them, they die. My friends friend.

Dellena

« Reply #199 on: July 31, 2014, 05:52:44 AM »
I think an earlier poster was probably correct about one of the reasons that toddler has been put off.  And that's due to the MASSIVE difference in Create-A-Sim.  To release on a certain schedule, some things probably had to be put off.  As of right now, I'm happy with what isn't being released yet and am just anxious to get my greedy hands on the game.  Having the demo is awesome but it's making want to play the game even more! LOL  My mom used to say I shouldn't wish my life away, but I wish August was already over! LOL

McHazy

« Reply #200 on: July 31, 2014, 02:01:18 PM »
I think an earlier poster was probably correct about one of the reasons that toddler has been put off.  And that's due to the MASSIVE difference in Create-A-Sim.  To release on a certain schedule, some things probably had to be put off.  As of right now, I'm happy with what isn't being released yet and am just anxious to get my greedy hands on the game.  Having the demo is awesome but it's making want to play the game even more! LOL  My mom used to say I shouldn't wish my life away, but I wish August was already over! LOL

I agree! Some sacrifices had to be made, I think the problem with pools was to do with the resizable foundations. I guess that'll take a bit working out, along with the programming for the toddlers. I'm happy to get my game on time, good things come to those who wait.

Dellena

« Reply #201 on: July 31, 2014, 07:08:55 PM »
This is primarily an FYI post regarding future Sims 4 custom content and mods.  Currently, there is an event going on at EA/Maxis Studio in Redwood City, California, called The Sims 4 Creator's Camp.  Creators/sites have been invited to this event to learn about the Sims 4 nuts and bolts with regards to creating custom content and mods.  We're already seeing initial attempts at clothing and hair custom content.  The following post from Sims VIP tells a bit more about it as well as gives a list of the creators/sites who were confirmed to be attending.

http://simsvip.com/2014/07/29/the-sims-4-creators-camp-mega-post/

I was happy to see The Sims Resource on that list as they are one of my primary sources for custom content.

I also thought it might reassure some people regarding custom content - that it's not just from fooling around with the game but that they are actually receiving training from EA/Maxis - which I think is pretty cool.

I personally don't plan on using CC initially with The Sims 4, but I know I'll get it eventually (makeup especially!).  But I wanted to share this.

They are actually getting to play with the full game, apparently.  Here's a family they created with a mom, dad, teenage daughter and two children.

Edit:  Here's more about the camp: http://simsvip.com/2014/07/31/abc-news-10-the-sims-4s-shared-content-creation/

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline AnnDruvez

• I have a real life build project....
  • Townie
« Reply #202 on: August 01, 2014, 08:59:42 PM »
I agree! Some sacrifices had to be made, I think the problem with pools was to do with the resizable foundations. I guess that'll take a bit working out, along with the programming for the toddlers. I'm happy to get my game on time, good things come to those who wait.

I have this sudden image in my head of being able to vary the depth of the pool...... Oh, that would be marvelous. Perhaps steps down one side instead of a ladder...... The home designer in me is currently begging.
A 1920s era house needing heat, AC, new floors, new drywall on the walls and ceilings, new bathroom fixtures, new kitchen cabinets, new water heaters.... The roof is sound, but why didn't I just buy an empty lot?

Offline wkoziol

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #203 on: August 01, 2014, 11:19:21 PM »
It's the curiosity that got me going with the Sims 4.  I know it doesn't have a lot of the other stuff but I'm really curious about the new create-a-toon tool and the building houses features.  As for pools I'm going to be missing them as well since it added to the decor of the house from time to time.  I think I'll get it just to see what all the hub-bub is about.  If I do get bored with the game at least I can go back to playing the Sims 3.  But it's really something though I remember reading that there were talks of not coming out with a 2nd sims after the first one was done but due to the popularity of the first one they stood up and listened.  And here we are with a 4th Sims which to me seems like a milestone in itself.  So yea, I got my pre-copy ordered cause dag nab it if I kill one more cat with my blasted curiosity the P.E.T.A., EPA, and all the rest will most likely be banging my door down and hauling my butt off to who knows where.  And I don't want that happen cause I hate to see the paint work go to waist.

Offline Bri

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #204 on: August 04, 2014, 11:57:09 AM »
As some of you may know, over the weekend EA/Maxis held a Creator's Camp at the Maxis Studio in Redwood California for invited creators, fans, etc.  Little was revealed due to an embargo, but that is now lifted.  As this isn't officially from EA or a SimGuru, this isn't in the Official thread.

If you are curious about some of the happenings which occurred, I'd recommend taking a peak at SimsVIP with a variety of articles:
SimsVIP:  The Sims Creator's Camp (Mega Post)

The one with the new Screenshots actually has me excited since some of it is actually new (at least to me).

Additionally, three online gaming magazines have some videos of their own gameplay as well:
Kotaku's A Look at the Sims 4

PC Gamer's The Sims 4:  Hands-on Gameplay

The Escapist's The Sims 4 Gameplay Preview

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #205 on: August 04, 2014, 12:51:29 PM »
There are 18 skills. Some we've had before: charisma, cooking, fishing, fitness (athletic), gardening, guitar, handiness, logic, mixology, painting, piano, violin and writing.

These are new: comedy, mischief, programming, rocket science, video gaming.

And there are new features to some of the old familiar skills. Sims can write songs with the guitar, piano, and violin, and get them licensed. And next to the handiness workbench in a picture, I saw a guitar and violin that had to have been built on the bench (think orange crate with strings. Or go to SimsVip and look at the pictures).

Apparently, there are only 8 careers, but each has 2 branches.

Entertainer: Musician/Comedian
Writer: Author/Journalist
Painter: Master of the Real/Patron of the Arts
Secret Agent: Diamond Agent/Villain
Criminal: Boss/Oracle
Astronaut: Space Ranger/Smuggler
Culinary: Chef/Mixologist
Tech Guru: eSport Gamer/Start-up Entrepreneur

Sims can also earn money from gardening, fishing, and collecting and selling things.

I'm excited. It looks like a good mix of old and new. Anyway, use the links in Bri's post to get more info.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline bubbles

• Dynasty Novice
  • Watcher
« Reply #206 on: August 04, 2014, 01:21:30 PM »
If you want to keep up with all the incoming news about The Sims 4, I would recommend checking out SimsVIP on a regular basis. They are keeping track of the news coming out and it means much less effort on our parts.

Edit: Here is a list of cheats, controls and stuff like that. Source: SimsVIP

Moveobjects is not currently included. They are having some issues at this time, but they are working hard to get it fixed. Free placement cheat is included, and yes, they know it is not the same!

Sim/Household Controls
Switch to next Sim in Household: (Space or N)
Switch to Specific Sim: (Click Sim portrait)
Lock Camera to Sim: (Right-Click Sim portrait)
Center Camera on active Sim: (Enter)
Time Controls
Pause Game: (P or 0 or ‘)
Regular/Fast/Ultra Speed: (1/2/3)
Camera Movement
Move left/right: (Arrow Left/Right or A/D)
Move forward/back: (Arrow UP/Down or W/S)
Move Faster: (Hold Shift + Camera Mov’t)
Zoom in/out: (Z/X or +/-)
Toggle Map Mode:
General Controls
Undo/Redo: (Ctrl+Z / Ctrl+V)
Cancel: (Esc)
Toggle Cheat Window: (Ctrl + Shift + C)

Controls: Build/Buy Mode

Object Placement Tools
Rotate Object: (,/. – one object select)
Delete Object: (Del or Backspace)
Off Grid Placement: (Alt – while holding object)
Off Angle Placement: (Alt – while rotating object)
Move to Slot: (M)

Game Cheats

• The Cheat Console can be brought up by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+C. Input the following text into the text input field that appears at the top of the screen.

Help – Lists all available commands into the command console.
resetSim {FirstName} {LastName} – Resets the Sim.
fullscreen – toggles full screen on or off.
headlineeffects{on/off} – Hides all headline effects including plumbobs, thought balloons, etc.
Death.toggle – Disables Death so that Sims don’t die.
FreeRealEstate {on/off} – Can be entered at neighborhood/world. If on, all homes are free.
motherlode – Provides 50,000 Simoleons
kaching – Provides 1000 Simoleons
rosebud – Provides 1000 Simoleons
Pressing Shift + ] – Increases the size of objects

testingcheats {true/false} – Enables use of further cheats
Entering “testingcheats true”, then entering “cas.fulleditmode” allows all CAS abilities.
Interaction Cheats are available by Shift + Clicking on objects and Sims once the player types in “testingcheats true” in the command console.
Shift Clicking on Sims
Reset Object – Resets Sim
Add to Family – Add the Sim to the current family
Cheat Motive > Make Happy – Sets all motives to full and sets Mood to Happy
Cheat Motive > Enable Motive Decay – Allows motives to change dynamically
Cheat Motive > Disable Motive Decay – Allows motives to remain static
Shift Clicking on Objects
Reset Object – Rests Object
Shift Clicking Dirty-able Objects
Make Dirty – Makes object dirty
Shift Clicking on Dirty Objects
Make Clean – makes object clean
Shift Clicking Mailbox
Reset Object – resets Mailbox
Shift Clicking the Ground
Teleport Me Here – Teleports selected Sim as close to the clicked spot as possible
Shift Clicking Sims
Modify in CAS – Allows editing of everything but name change and inherited traits

Build Mode Hotkeys

Object Control
Rotate held/selected object, block, roof, anything rotatable: < / >
Move object to next slot in surface with a slotted object selected and on a slot surface: M
Copy held/selected object on placement: Shift
Inventory held/selected object: Backspace
Delete held/selected object: Delete
Undo: Ctrl + Z
Redo: Ctrl + Y

Tools
Eyedropper Tool (toggle): E
Hand Tool: H
Sledgehammer Tool (toggle): K
Design Tool (toggle): R
Wall Tool: B
Toggles Day/Night in B/B: L
Allow off-grid placement while dragging around an object: Alt
Toggle Grid: G
Cycle Between 1/2 tile and 1/4 tile grid snapping for object placement: F5
Flood Fill a single wall while placing wall patterns: Alt
Flood Fill floor & wall paint while placing floor or wall patterns: Shift
Toggle to 1/4 tile floor paint while placing floor tile patterns: Ctrl + F
Reduce Terrain Brush Size while Terrain Paint catalog is open: [
Increase Terrain Brush Size while Terrain Paint catalog is open: ]
Move Terrain Brush Softness Slider to the Left while Terrain Paint catalog is open: ;
Move Terrain Brush Softness Slider to the Right while Terrain Paint catalog is open: ‘
Toggle Terrain Paint/Eraser while Terrain Paint catalog is open: Ctrl
Move Whole House tool: U
Toggle Video Recording: V
Capture Screenshot: C

Camera
Toggle Top Down View: T
Go to Next Floor Up: Page Up
Go to Next Floor Down: Page Down
Walls Up: Home
Walls Down: End

Edit 2: After watching a few videos, I have just preordered the game. The Sims 4 isn't released until 5th September, the day after I go back to school. I sort of want to say "Roll on September" but I do quite like being off school.  :P
Bubbles's Workshop
Friends are like potatoes; if you eat them, they die. My friends friend.

Dellena

« Reply #207 on: August 04, 2014, 02:54:44 PM »
Only a month (give or take) to go.  I can't wait!

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #208 on: August 04, 2014, 03:51:13 PM »
Dellena, re: your comment about TSR.  They have a first report up.  I thought it made some very interesting reading.  I'm so excited about this game.

http://www.thesimsresource.com/news/site/

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #209 on: August 04, 2014, 04:37:40 PM »
SimsVip had a good interview with SimGuruArgus. He confirmed that you can complete more than one aspiration, indeed you can do all of them. Edited to add: you can even change your aspiration, and not lose your progress on the earlier one.

One thing I found interesting was that the mood you're in when you write a book can be communicated to others who read the book. For example, if you feel confident while writing, than whoever reads the book will get a boost to confidence while reading. He didn't say whether this would also apply to paintings and music that your sim composes, but I think it might.

And on a side note, there's a picture of a child thinking "T-rex" destroying a dollhouse, and on the ground next to the house is an action figure, and a toy carriage. Also, I saw three topiaries -- a llama, an elephant, and one I can't figure out. The flowers are beautiful and varied.

And for gardeners -- you can graft one plant on another and sometimes get two different fruits or vegetables and sometimes get a special plant.

I don't want to wish August away, but I am really anxious to get my hands on this game.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.