Author Topic: Sims 4 Physical Disk  (Read 22199 times)

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
Sims 4 Physical Disk
« on: June 07, 2014, 03:47:45 PM »
I hope this is the right place to post this.  Will the Sims4 be available as a physical copy from another source other than Origin, (like Amazon), or will it just be a box with a code in it to obtain the digital download?  I prefer physical copies of my games since the digital downloads don't always download properly.

[Note from Pam:  I had originally merged this thread with the main Sims 4 Discussion thread.  However, I've changed my mind and think this should have it's own thread because it's going to be an important issue for a lot of people.  I also want everyone to understand that this thread is going to be very closely monitored. The only posts allowed here are those specific to the subject, which is where to find the physical copies of Sims 4. It is not to discuss anything about Sims 3 or to debate digital vs. physical formats. Anything posted that is not strictly on topic will be deleted without notice.]
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
Re: Sims 4 Physical Disk
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 04:14:30 PM »
I think that I heard somewhere that they are discontinuing physical copies.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 04:54:48 PM »
There hasn't been an official announcement as to if it will come in disc format or not. You can order it from Amazon though. But we aren't sure if it's going to be an actual physical copy or if it will be a code to get the digital download with.

From what I understand, Origin.com only sells digital downloads of their games, as of Apr.2014

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Bri

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 05:00:48 PM »
You will be able to get Sims 4 physically Joria, you just won't be able to buy it that way through Origin.  I have a thread where EA made that announcement. 

You will be able to get it physically through Amazon, and I've seen a sign by the local Wal-Mart giving the expected advertising push that it will be there as well. 

EA is really pushing the digital option, opting give people a few more extras if they get it via Origin with a few exclusive things.  I know people who will actually buy both the digital and the physical edition...the digital for the goodies, and the physical for it being...well...physical. 

The difference between the Limited  Physical Edition and Digital Deluxe Edition is this:
The Sims™ 4 LIMITED EDITION •Life of the Party Digital Content: Features the Flaming Tiki Bar and spectacular party costumes.

The Sims™ 4 DIGITAL DELUXE EDITION •Up All Night Digital Content: Features the Laser Light Show, new parties, outfits, decorations, and recipes.
•Life of the Party Digital Content: Features the Flaming Tiki Bar and spectacular party costumes.
•Digital Soundtrack: A digital soundtrack featuring music from the game

(Source: EA Pre-Order Information)

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 05:19:29 PM »
Thank you Bri!! Hubby and I weren't aware EA made the announcement yet of whether it was going to be just digital or physical.

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Bri

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 06:13:49 PM »
Thank you Bri!! Hubby and I weren't aware EA made the announcement yet of whether it was going to be just digital or physical.

You're welcome :)

Well, most of the large game publishers would love to go digital as it would save a lot on costs, but that is still a long way off for a variety of reasons.  So, you will still be able to get a physical edition of Sims 4, just not all the goodies they push.

Dellena

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 07:49:16 PM »
I've pre-ordered the Premium physical edition through Amazon:

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Rikki8528

• Occult
  • Sims 3 Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 03:06:05 AM »
Phew! I'm glad for this news, as anyone who's heard me ranting on my story topics know, I H.A.T.E digital copies.

Offline KRae

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 03:25:25 AM »
I hear you. I'm always willing to pay more to get a physical copy.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 02:01:01 PM »
Thanks, everybody.  I really prefer the physical copy of any game I play.  They look so nice all lined up on my mantle.  lol  I think I already pre-ordered the digital copy but definitely want the physical copy whether I bought the digital or not.  I just don't trust digital downloads to be there when I want them.  No real reason, just not comfortable with technology.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Bri

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 02:24:49 PM »
Thanks, everybody.  I really prefer the physical copy of any game I play.  They look so nice all lined up on my mantle.  lol  I think I already pre-ordered the digital copy but definitely want the physical copy whether I bought the digital or not.  I just don't trust digital downloads to be there when I want them.  No real reason, just not comfortable with technology.
I tend to do the same myself.  I go digital for all the goodies, but make sure that I have a physical copy...just in case.  And sometimes the boxes/art are just nice to have. 

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 03:56:41 PM »
I'm really torn on this.  Like a lot of you, I really prefer to have a physical copy of the game.  But I'm worried that some of the later EPs or SPs may not be available on disc, and I've already experienced the problems of mixing digital and disc content.  What happened was, I had to have various work done on my computer that included reinstalling everything, including Windows.  And afterwards, I was unable to download some of the digital materials I had purchased through Origin.  It kept telling me that it wasn't compatible with my installed base game.  I tried to get help from Origin, but they just kept insisting that it was compatible, which was no help at all.  Bottom line, I wound up having to do without some of the SPs I had purchased because of their compatibility problems.  So I'm wondering if it might be better to just go digital from the start, even though it's not really what I want.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 06:37:55 PM »
Honestly, I'm with you all but for a different reason, I worry a LOT about digital download, but I adore it's convenience.

I loved getting a lot of the Sims 3 expansions right away (as I am a bit of a Veruca, you know it, "I want it now, daddy!" except I buy it myself rather than use my parents money). I also love that I can lend out my disks to my family so they can download it and play it while I can still download and play it with my digital versions of it. The things that worries me most - and I'm not trying to bash, so if someone knows differently, please let me know - is that EA could "restrict" the amount of times you can download the game. When getting a digital copy, the game no longer feels like it's mine, but rather that I'm just renting it until they tell me I can't download it anymore. I had a scare like this because my boyfriend likes to build, and he rarely gets in the building mood to play sims so he'll often download my EP and SP (he only has Ambitions and the original that he got prior to us moving in together) and remove it as often as he likes (he also likes to keep his computer clean) and he said he saw that they were limiting the amount of times he could download from my origin (he said there were "3 times left" after he did it once) and he officially stopped playing then because he felt bad that he could potentially be preventing me from playing in the future.

Having a physical copy makes me feel more sure that I could just download the game whenever and not have to worry about EA telling me I can only download it so many times. I haven't seen this download limit myself, but my boyfriend claims he saw it, maybe he mistook it for something else? Or maybe they really do limit the amount of times you can download it, which makes me sad that they hate when people share the game. My boyfriend and I have run into this problem many times since we moved in (as we're both avid gamers on both steam and GOG and origin  - well, I'm origin because I'm a Sims addict!), he bought skyrim, and now that we live together I would like to play skyrim too, but because of DRM and download restrictions I can only play it on his computer or trick steam into thinking I'm on his computer but in offline mode while he's in online mode - it just seems silly!

I've started to rethink all the times I bought a digital download just because I wanted it now and wish that I had bought physical, now I'm worried for the same reason Schip is. Hmm.

Dellena

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 01:55:01 AM »
I want the physical because I don't entirely trust Origin ever since my account go hacked on their end.  I won't allow my credit card information on their servers any more.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 04:16:04 AM »
I have to merge this thread with the Sims 4 Discussion Thread.  At this time, we're only having one thread for Sims 4 and everything has to be on it.  This is excellent information, so thank you Joria for asking the question and thank you Bri for giving us the information about buying the physical copies.  The Sims 4 Discussion Thread remains locked, however, and I'm still working on removing the posts that don't offer any real information.  So, this discussion will have to end here.  I'm sorry about that.

[Note from Pam:  I had originally merged this thread with the main Sims 4 Discussion thread.  However, I've changed my mind and think this should have it's own thread because it's going to be an important issue for a lot of people.]
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

anything