Author Topic: Game deleted itself?  (Read 12933 times)

Offline kaaaya

• Nooboo
Game deleted itself?
« on: June 06, 2014, 10:48:23 PM »
Hi! I'm new to this forum so I have no idea how it works, so I apologize in advance!  :-[

My game just deleted itself. I honestly have no clue on how the game actually works, I just play it, so I really don't know how to fix it on my own. Anyway, I was just downloading some CC. The game wouldn't start up so I figured there was just some corrupt packages. I deleted them as soon as I found them. However, when I tried restarting the game through the launcher, it reset everything. My saved game was gone and so was all the neighborhoods I had. I figured I might just have to restart it again, but when I checked all my downloads and uploads were gone too. However, when I checked my Sims folder in my documents, all the downloads/packages/saves/etc. were the same as always.

I'm genuinely confused about what's going on (and devastated because I've been devoting a whole lot of my time on this game recently). So if someone could help me, that would be great! Even if it's just breaking the bad news to me that I can't get this game back would be fine! I just want to know what's going on  :'(

Thanks so much!!  ;D

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Game deleted itself?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 11:12:34 PM »
Hi Kaaaya,

I don't think the game deleted itself. What it sounds like is while you were cleaning out the custom content that somehow your saved game may have been deleted.

It sounds as though the game itself and it's Sims 3 folder are still there. Check your documents folder for an Electronic Arts folder, inside of that should be a Sims 3 folder.

-- Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3

If you still have this folder, your actual Sims 3 game is fine. Although you may need to create a new game if you're unable to find your old game. Which if it's still there, should be in the saves folder.

-- Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Saves

I hope this helps, :)

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline kaaaya

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 11:17:08 PM »
Hi Kaaaya,

I don't think the game deleted itself. What it sounds like is while you were cleaning out the custom content that somehow your saved game may have been deleted.

It sounds as though the game itself and it's Sims 3 folder are still there. Check your documents folder for an Electronic Arts folder, inside of that should be a Sims 3 folder.

-- Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3

If you still have this folder, your actual Sims 3 game is fine. Although you may need to create a new game if you're unable to find your old game. Which if it's still there, should be in the saves folder.

-- Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Saves

I hope this helps, :)

MrsFlynn

Yes, the game is still in the saves folder! But the game doesn't show up in the main menu where I'm supposed to load the game. It just tells me to create a new game out of the original neighborhoods (i.e Sunset Valley, etc).  :-\

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 11:35:20 PM »
Back your saved games to the desktop (for example). Then try copying the saved game your having problems with back to the Saves folder. Run the game to see if it shows up in the Main menu.

I'm still searching for more tips. So please post back on whether this worked or not.

MrsFlynn
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline kaaaya

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 11:51:55 PM »
Back your saved games to the desktop. Then try copying the one saved game your having problems with back to the Saves folder. Run the game to see if it shows up in the Main menu.

I'm still searching for more tips. So please post back on whether this worked or not.

MrsFlynn

It didn't work, it just showed the same menu telling me to make a new game

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 12:07:48 AM »
Hmm.. Okay,

Here's something that might help.

Game Help:Restoring Backup Saves
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Restoring_Backup_Saves

MrsFlynn

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 12:12:37 AM »
Here's another possible fix -

Resetting the game to factory settings without reinstalling
http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/06/tutorial-resetting-the-game-to-factory-settings-without-reinstalling.html

MrsFlynn

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline kaaaya

• Nooboo
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 12:22:50 AM »
Here's another possible fix -

Resetting the game to factory settings without reinstalling
http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/06/tutorial-resetting-the-game-to-factory-settings-without-reinstalling.html

MrsFlynn

I tried the first solution to restore backup saves, but unfortunately, it didn't work  :'(
I also tried to reset the game to factory settings, but for some reason when I launch the game it won't recreate a new The Sims 3 file in my Electronic Arts folder.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 12:27:18 AM »
 When you tried the factory reset, did it give you an error message when you went to click the play button to have it make the new The Sims 3 folder?  If so what was the message?

Offline kaaaya

• Nooboo
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 12:29:46 AM »
When you tried the factory reset, did it give you an error message when you went to click the play button to have it make the new The Sims 3 folder?  If so what was the message?

It actually didn't give me any error message. I tried it several times but there was no new folder

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 12:34:30 AM »
Hmm.. That is strange. I'm at a loss as to what to try next. I've never had this happen to me. And I'm not sure if I'd be able to recreate the problem with my computer. To help see what's going on.

An idea just popped into my head to maybe try, if you haven't already. Try making your own The Sims 3 folder inside of the Electronic Arts folder, and then click the play button.

MrsFlynn

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 12:36:40 AM »
While we're trouble shooting the problem, have you been restarting your computer? If not, try that. I know that's helped me a time or two.

MrsFlynn

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 12:38:16 AM »
Welcome to our Forum, kaaaya.

Are you able to start and play a new game file?

Also, I saw in your first post that you have no idea how the game works and that you were downloading CC.  In a situation like this, I strongly advise against downloading any third party content (CC).  It may look nice, but CC can bring a lot of headaches, especially if you're not very familiar with it.  In fact, we don't even allow links to CC sites here because it can be so much trouble.  Just my thoughts.  :)
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline kaaaya

• Nooboo
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2014, 12:42:10 AM »
While we're trouble shooting the problem, have you been restarting your computer? If not, try that. I know that's helped me a time or two.

MrsFlynn

Actually I haven't! I'll try that now

Offline kaaaya

• Nooboo
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 12:44:34 AM »
Welcome to our Forum, kaaaya.

Are you able to start and play a new game file?

Also, I saw in your first post that you have no idea how the game works and that you were downloading CC.  In a situation like this, I strongly advise against downloading any third party content (CC).  It may look nice, but CC can bring a lot of headaches, especially if you're not very familiar with it.  In fact, we don't even allow links to CC sites here because it can be so much trouble.  Just my thoughts.  :)

Thank you!

I am allowed to start a new game file.

And what I meant by that is how the files and everything work and such. I've been playing the Sims 3 since it came out but I never learned what all those files and everything meant! Ha ha  ;D But yeah, CC has brought me a lot of problems before. I don't know why I still download them.