Author Topic: Building a Mall  (Read 16255 times)

Offline Blossom

• Nooboo
Building a Mall
« on: February 24, 2014, 04:16:03 AM »
I would like to build a mall for Sunset Valley and am unsure of what lot type to use and how many floors to build.

I would like this mall to be realistic in that there are a lot of townies there browsing the wares.  I've noticed when I make community lots, townies only ever use the main floor. Is there a reason for this, and can I adjust that? If not, I would be forced to place the entire mall on one level to keep the busy atmosphere I want...

Ideally I would like townie children to use the lot autonomously as that is more realistic.  Plus, I would love to place a carousel that changes through the seasons.  Will a "hangout" work, or is there a better lot designation for this?

Offline Arefa

• Llama Wrangler
    • Build Mode with Arefa
Re: Building a Mall
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 10:43:12 AM »
Your subject line caught my attention.  That's a very interesting idea!

I'm not sure if you have the Store World Midnight Hollow or the Savvy Seller's set that came with it.  But that set sounds perfect for the mall atmosphere that you want to achieve.  I looked at MH and saw that EA used the Hangout lot designation like you were thinking.  And I've played in MH a bit and have visited those shops.  A few of those shops are 2 floors and the NPCs "Browse" both floors on those lots when I've visited them in the past.  Sometimes it just takes a bit for them to come.

I've noticed when I make community lots, townies only ever use the main floor. Is there a reason for this, and can I adjust that? If not, I would be forced to place the entire mall on one level to keep the busy atmosphere I want...
I don't have a technical answer from the game code for you, only my own experience in my game.  I don't build many community lots myself.  I use what EA has already made.  And in lots such as the bars, clubs, university hangouts, etc. As long as there is an activity to do on the top floors, I've found NPCs up there.  With or without my sim being up there.  Are you using the regular stairs or spiral stair cases?  In builds that I have done, I have found issues when using these.  Sometimes the NPCs are very temperamental.  Especially with the spiral staircases depending on how close it is to the wall and the way that it is turned.  I have better luck with the regular stairs 2 squares wide.  I've started leaving a good two spaces or so of good open space so they have enough room to route up and down.  There is less foot stomping.

Good luck building! :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Blossom

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 11:20:33 AM »
I get really stingy with my lot sizes, so usually I do use spiral staircases or elevators.  Now that I think about it though, my gym had an elevator and a 2-wide staircase and townies used the second floor all the time.  That's a great thought! I will definetly make sure to give plenty of staircase room in my mall.

I do have midnight hollow and the collection. That's what gave me the idea! I also have that Asian stove and it can be placed on commercial lots. These items give me exactly what I need to make a realistic mall.  I usually prefer to make community lots. My sunset valley is bare right now cause I demoilshed everything  ;)

My ideal mall would have 2.5 floors (a frieze in between the two), food court, restaurant, book store, nectary register, consignment, elixir consignment, maybe general goods, maybe relics, toy store, and carousel.  It would be amazing if I could include a small greenhouse and an art store, but with only two floors on a medium lot, I don't think they will fit.

The frieze would hopefully enable me to place a roof over the carousel that would be visible inside the building. The area around the carousel would be open from the second floor. So sims could go to the frieze level and eat a pretzel while watching their kids play. I don't actually have a pretzel machine, but that would be awesome...

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 03:31:57 PM »
Your mall idea sounds great. I would love to see it when you get done and hope you put it up on the Swap Shop. ;)
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline Blossom

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 08:14:57 PM »
It's probably gonna be a while, it's a bit tougher to put together than I thought it would be.

I've never used Swap Shop, though I've seen it mentioned on this site before. Does it function like the exchange?

Offline Arefa

• Llama Wrangler
    • Build Mode with Arefa
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 08:48:17 AM »
Yay I'm glad to have helped out! :)

Your mall sounds like it's going to be really fun and realistic.  A pretzel machine would be amazing, cross your fingers... the Store is still coming out with content.  Maybe we'll get one before it's all said and done.  In game now, there are the food register stands from Seasons... That could maybe simulate a food kiosk at the mall?  Not sure if you already thought of that, just throwing another idea out there.

It's probably gonna be a while, it's a bit tougher to put together than I thought it would be.

I've never used Swap Shop, though I've seen it mentioned on this site before. Does it function like the exchange?

That's okay, I would love to see it when it's finished too.  :)

The Swap Shop... Here's the link directly to the entire Swap Shop Board.  Browsing around this board for a bit, I think you will get the feel of how it works.  Basically we add either a Sim, House, Community Lot, Pattern, etc. to the attachments section at the end of a post.  Depending on what we want to share, you create a post in one of the sub categories within the Main Swap Shop Board.  Two big rules... We are only allowed to upload sims3pack files.  (Which I think is what is only allowed on the Exchange as well.) And two, we cannot use any Custom Content within our designs. 

Here's a link to Carl's Rules for the Swap Shop.  It's a good place to start.  This will help to show you the preferred format of the posts.  It helps keep everything organized and gives readers the important information they are looking for when considering to download a build.

Offline folcon

• Immortal
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 12:01:38 PM »
I look forward to seeing your mall when it is done.  I had tried building one myself, but only got one store done before i had a hard drive crash.  It takes a lot of work though, but I was still having fun while working on it.  If you find you have extra room, i would be hapy to provide some extra ideas for shops.  And now that I have all the expansion packs, I just might try building my own again.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline SMohtahn

• Nooboo
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 02:58:25 PM »
Amazing idea! It seems like a fun project to work on. I think I will try this too but I need to do some research first lol.

On sim npc using upstairs parts of community lots:
 I made a laundry mat with upstairs washers for the higher quality/cost and downstairs for low quality/cost. I put the fancy amenities upstairs with child care and stuff. I realized that I was living out my fantasy of what an awesome laundry mat would be like and it got elaborate! Anyways,  sim npc's did visit the upstairs portions so npc's did go upstairs as far as I can remember.

Also, there are community lots that come with the game or are official custom lots that have upstairs like the Martial Arts academy, some of the night clubs also. Npcs go up there in my game too.

Offline Blossom

• Nooboo
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 07:34:08 PM »
Thanks everybody for the help! I checked out the swap shop and it does seem really straightforward. As far as second floors go, I must have just not been giving sims enough space to use them. I will definetly remember that for the future and make adjustments to previous builds.   

I've got a shell going on a 30x40 lot. I've placed two double width staircases and one elevator. I know the elevators are slow, but they work well through a frieze and don't take up much space.   I left a large space for the carousel and surrounding food court. There is space for three shops, a daycare center, and restrooms on the first floor as well. I'm putting the seasonal food stands in the food court, good idea Arefa!

I didn't have enough space to have sunken seating on the frieze level, but it looks really nice on the second floor. I do have a pretzel bench, I might not use it though, it seems a bit cheesy for a realistic mall. I also have space for 5 shops on the second floor, plus 2 small patios and a small restroom.

I don't have all the expansion packs (I'm missing UL & ITF). So I think I might leave a shop empty for those who do.

I think my themes wil be:

Spring-carnival
Summer-nature
Fall-horror
Winter-holiday/warmth

Offline folcon

• Immortal
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 11:00:04 AM »
Just an extra suggestion, if you have or get the Le Cinema Plumbob from the store, you could add a movie theater.  Though if you already have most of the layout thought out and planned, I could only suggest a basement movie theater.

Offline jesirose

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 03:40:25 PM »
Just an extra suggestion, if you have or get the Le Cinema Plumbob from the store, you could add a movie theater.  Though if you already have most of the layout thought out and planned, I could only suggest a basement movie theater.

The mall near me has the theater on the third floor, and that's all that's up there. Put it up top! :)
- Jessica

Offline Blossom

• Nooboo
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 02:56:47 PM »
I was thinking that a movie theater would be amazing.  I don't have the venue, but would be ok buying the tv and ticket machine individually  ;)

It would have to go on the 3rd floor, especially after the most recent update, its even more difficult to put a basement in after you've already laid the foundation...  I have already done the roof, but I guess I can undo and redo it...  I'll consider this... It would be amazing, just more work.

Offline WickedSimmer87

• Occult
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 05:18:47 AM »
Hi Blossom!

As other simmers has mentioned :) A lot of store contents are great additions to any lot, especially malls :p

Bistro, cinema, maybe a decorative "hair dresser" with tattoo shop in the back. And maybe using the Consignment Shop as part of the "stores". Book store is also possible.
And maybe so a "kiddie corner" where kids can play while the parents shop :P

Only your imagination is the limit :)

But if you don't mind using some custom content, there are some pretty awesome sites out there (due to the rules, I'm not allowed to mention names or post links of the sites. Atleast as far as I've understood from the posts and conversations in the past.

Hope it did help in any way :) 

Offline Blossom

• Nooboo
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 11:08:16 PM »
I've sort of finished it and uploaded it to the exchange. Of course, shortly afterword, I bought Roaring Heights and the boardwalk. It came with this cool pavilion that would look much nicer than my roof, for the carousel. So, I will be re-editing the mall soon. I don't have enough in-game pics to give a good representation of the mall. Once I re-do things, I should get better pics.

If you wanna see what's there now, here's the link: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8072406

Offline WickedSimmer87

• Occult
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 04:29:43 AM »
Ah nice. Unfortunately I'm unable to get stuff from the sims 3 exchange.... Which really sucks cos there are alot of good lots.  :-[