Author Topic: Slow with expansions :(  (Read 7314 times)

Offline JodySuzanne1305

• Occult
Slow with expansions :(
« on: February 03, 2014, 12:51:44 PM »
I just downloaded the sims 3 from origin and then the sims 3 pets. The game is running really slow now that pets is downloaded. Any suggestions to help speed things up? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
Re: Slow with expansions :(
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 02:31:26 PM »
You could try decreasing the graphics settings because pets is known to take a lot of graphics.

Also, if you are willing to install a mod the error tap and overwatch mods from nraas can help the game run smoother.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 03:08:07 PM »
I'm moving this to Technical Help, as it isn't an issue with Pets specifically. :) And welcome to the forum, jodysuzanne.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 04:33:51 PM »
Hi Jody,

I can't promise this will help speed up your system a whole lot. But a few things that might help are:

Try medium graphics settings within the game as Saltpastillen said, Pets is pretty graphic intensive.

Try deleting the cache files every now and again (socialCache.package, Sims3Logs.xml, simCompositorCache.package, scriptCache.package, compositorCache.package, CasPartCache.package)

-- Also delete everything except Ccmerged.package file in your DCBackup folder. -- Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > DCBackup

Restarting the computer is helpful too. Specially if you play Sims for hours (2+hrs a day or more) Saving every hour or so to prevent game-play loss.

Run registery cleaner program, like Ccleaner - http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
It helps clean up temporary files, internet cache files and other files that are left behind and or that are no longer being used, after reinstalling/uninstalling.

If you are playing a big family, take a look at their personal inventories, and the family inventory as well. Get rid of things that aren't needed. As having to many items (100 or more items) in their inventories may cause lag and freezing. This can happen fast if the sims is a fisher, gardener or alchemist, not to mention collector.

If you have store content, you may want to look for the Tree of Prosperity

The link below may give other helpful tips as well.

Sims in Slow Motion
http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2013/11/sims-in-slow-motion.html

Hope this helps :)

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline JodySuzanne1305

• Occult
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 04:54:44 PM »
Awesome info! Thanks!!

Offline JodySuzanne1305

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 05:42:25 PM »
I'm thinking that the more expansions I have, the slower it will be. Is there something I can buy, like some sort of external storage, so that I can continue to add expansions without the game slowing?

Offline JodySuzanne1305

• Occult
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 10:01:16 PM »
I've used the PC cleaner on my computer and uninstalled and/or deleted a bunch if other programs. And it's still pretty slow. Total disappointment..

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 10:16:11 PM »

Hi Jody,

As far as I know, you can't just buy an external hard drive to make it run better. The only thing I can think of is getting a better computer with a dedicated graphics card with at least 1 gig memory.

MrsFlynn
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 10:29:17 PM »
Oh and yes, you are correct. The more expansions and stuff packs you have along with any store content or 3rd party custom content you may have and mods if you have those, the slower the game will be. Even on a computer that is up to or exceeds Sims 3 specs.

Our desktops exceed Sims 3 specs and it runs slow on them due to all the Sims 3 stuff we have installed.

MrsFlynn

I'm thinking that the more expansions I have, the slower it will be.

Offline JodySuzanne1305

• Occult
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 10:35:02 PM »
How do I lower the graphics? I think I did it..

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 10:40:22 PM »
To lower the graphics in-game go to the options menu. It's the first tab in the options.

MrsFlynn

Offline JodySuzanne1305

• Occult
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 11:11:48 PM »
Boo! I really want to make this work!! I guess my computer is just not up to it. It was rubbing great with just the sims 3. I've deleted everything I can, and it's still too slow to be fun. We'll that was short lived!!

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 12:05:51 AM »
Hi Jody,

Just curious, what's your computer specs? If you already mentioned them, could you point me to them?

Here's help finding the specs if you need it.

Topic: How To: Find System Information -- Window 7
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,18710.msg351730.html

If you're using Windows 8
Topic: How To: Find System Information -- Window 8
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,18902.0.html

And what expansions/stuff packs do you have installed? I don't know if there's anything Hubby and I can do. But we'll try to help.

If you're anything like us - Have all expansions/stuff packs and a lot of store stuff. You could start by maybe installing one or two expansions and maybe adding a small amount of store content if you wish to see how it plays. It may help give you your Simmie fix for now till you can maybe get a newer computer.

MrsFlynn

Offline JodySuzanne1305

• Occult
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 11:35:01 AM »
Here is what is says under system when I followed your instructions. Operating system: windows 7 home premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
system manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer inc. system
model: U80A
processor: Intel(R) Cote(TM) 2 Due CPU T65"0 @ 2.10GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Page File: 2655MB used, 5465MB available
Direct Version: Direct X11

I think where I got mixed up is that I was thinking MB were bigger than GB. So when you shared the sims 3 min specs with me and how to lactate my min specs I saw tons of MB and thought okay I'm good. I've deleted every program on my computer I can think of. I didn't buy this computer for gaming, but since I don't use it for anything now I was hoping I could salvage it and make it my sims computer. I only have downloaded the sims 3 and the sims 3 pets. I have the expensive lot stuff pack and the late night exp. in my origin. I downloaded the late night expansion but I realized how slow things were in pets, I uninstalled it the same day. I really just want to be able to play the pets, I can live without the other expansions until I can invest in a gaming computer. Thanks for your help!

Offline JodySuzanne1305

• Occult
Slow with expansions :(
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 11:39:25 AM »
As far as how the game is running, everything runs great except for about every two seconds there is a small pause. The faster I turn up the time the more frequent and longer the pauses. If the game is paused, I can move the screen around easily, if I'm playing and I try to move the screen, there is a delay. And most times when I click on things there is a delay for the actions popping up. It's makes it hard to get anything accomplished.

anything