Author Topic: Game suddenly freezing/lagging (I'm technologically challenged)  (Read 9009 times)

Offline Stormi71

• Occult
Game suddenly freezing/lagging (I'm technologically challenged)
« on: January 23, 2014, 12:08:41 AM »
I know there's posts about this sort of thing, but I'm pretty hopeless
 when it comes to the technical side of computers.
This happened suddenly a couple of days ago. There was no precursor subtle lagging, all was fine. Then I noticed a sim wasn't using the bed, like something was blocking the way. I moved the bed, didn't fix it, so replaced the bed and all was fine. I did notice the same sim was frozen whilst playing tag, so I reset her, and everything was okay again. The only new items I'd added just before the freeze were the showoff shelf thing, and placed the molecular model they get from the field trip. But after that, the freezing/lagging started, and it's so bad that it's unplayable. I deleted my other save games, as I don't really play them. Closed the Sims, restarted the computer, tried again. It seemed like it was fixed, but then a couple of minutes in, it did the same thing.
I haven't installed the latest patch yet, and I asked the rest of the family if anyone had downloaded anything etc to the desktop computer, and hubby said he did the Windows Update the night before I had the problems.
So can someone tell me in laymans terms what I can try to fix it? I don't have a lot of expansions. I have base game, Late Night, Seasons, Generations, Ambitions, a couple of stuff packs, some store content including Monte Vista. I don't even know how to back up files, as I really don't want to lose this save file.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Game suddenly freezing/lagging (I'm technologically challenged)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 11:42:06 AM »
Hi Stormi,

I'm assuming your at patch level 1.63?

Let's start off with some of the easier things to do first. Here are 3 things to try.

1.) Try deleting the cache files (socialCache.package, Sims3Logs.xml, simCompositorCache.package, scriptCache.package, compositorCache.package, CasPartCache.package)

-- Also delete everything except Ccmerged.package file in your DCBackup folder.

-- Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > DCBackup

2.) Try Resetting the whole town, in Edit Town mode - Press Shift-Ctrl-C keys together to bring up cheat console and then type in resetsim *
(resetsim FirstName LastName to reset individual Sims)

3.) If that doesn't work, try a factory reset - Rename your current Sims 3 folder to something like Sims 3 Current. Click the Sims 3 icon to create a new Sims 3 folder. Then copy your game saves, files and such over to the new game to see if that helps.

How To: Saving folders/files to use on a different computer or to use as backup
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,16414.msg313134.html#msg313134

Something else that may also help --

Run a registry cleaner program, like Ccleaner - http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download. They have a free version. This helps clean up temporary files, internet cache files and other files that are left behind that are no longer being used, after uninstalling.

Also using Disk Cleanup and Defrag are helpful to do as well.
-- All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Clean Up
-- All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Defragmenter

These programs will help clean out the unnecessary and temporary files on your computer and reorganize your hard drive to make it run smoother.

Using these programs even after you've installed a program will still help clean up the system.

If the above doesn't work, please let me know. I've got a few other tips to try. Also, if you get any error messages, please post them.

Hope this helps, :)

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Stormi71

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 04:11:10 PM »
Thanks Mrs Flynn, I will try those things today.
Also, I saved that house/household to the library, just in case I have to delete that game. Does that mean if this particular saved game is corrupted, that any problems will be transferred if I use the family from the library?
My game is patched up to 1.63. I just remembered that one time I tried to "save and quit" I got that error 16 code, but it didn't crash, it just went back to the game and then I just quit out because I hadn't really played it due to it freezing.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 04:52:24 PM »
If they're only saved to the library, they may get deleted if you delete your saved game. However if you "Share" them they get saved to your Export folder. From there they can be backed up.

To find files you've "Shared" go here --
Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > (Your Game Save) > Exports

If by chance you need help with "Sharing" your files. Let me know. I've got notes on that. :)

I'm not sure if you're game is corrupt or not. Although it doesn't quite sound like it. Since it seems like you can get in and play. It's just lags and freezes.

Thank you for posting the error message. It's helps with searching for a fix for the problem.

Looks like Error 16 isn't all that bad. What you may want to try is saving the file with a new name. Or save the game with a number on it. That's something I like to do. Example: SV-DrewFam-02 (Town/Name of family/Save #)

If you want to read more about the Error codes, here's a helpful link.
Save Errors (Error 12, 13, or 16)
http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/03/error-save-errors-error-12-13-or-16.html

Hopefully some of this will help save your game. :)

MrsFlynn
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Stormi71

• Occult
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 05:08:46 PM »
Thanks. Just want to add, that if I go into buy/build mode, there's absolutely no lag or freezing when in that mode. I haven't tried Edit Town to see if that runs okay. I will export my family/house so I can back it up.
Thanks for your help, appreciate it.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 05:15:03 PM »
That sounds about right, lag/freezing only when you're actually playing the game. But when in build/buy mode everything is fine.

I'm happy to help :)

MrsFlynn

Offline Stormi71

• Occult
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 06:02:47 PM »
Well I did steps 1 and 2 (after having to ask son how to select multiple files so I could delete them all at once lol), didn't do anything. Was still freezing up. I did the disk cleanup and am now defragging, although found out the computer automatically defrags once a week. Hubby removed the Windows update in case that was causing problems, but that made no difference. I will try the game after the defrag. If nothing has worked, I will attempt a factory reset. If I do that, do I have to install all my store stuff again?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 06:21:14 PM »
What town are you playing in? Some towns lag more than others, and have areas where sims get stuck on a daily basis.

Offline Stormi71

• Occult
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 08:04:45 PM »
This household is in Riverview. I haven't had any problems before, though. No lag at all. I did put a park/playground in and townies often pile up in one corner of it, but not often, and that park has been there since I got Riverview a couple of months ago.
Finally finished the defrag...that took forever! So later on I will try and see what happens. I haven't tried evicting the family and moving them back in, would that possibly work?
Oh, and I also installed the latest patch yesterday, but that didn't fix anything.

UPDATE - was still frozen, lagging. So I evicted the family, put them back in the house, and started a new game with that household. Only had the game on for about a minute or so as I'm super busy today and haven't got time to play for ages like I normally do. But the freezing/lag was gone. I will play it for longer later today, so hopefully it's all okay now. Fingers crossed. If not, will do the factory reset with the help of my tech savvy son.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 11:35:29 PM »
Hi Stormi,

With a factory reset you do not need to reinstall the game or store content. It just sets the game back to factory specs for the lack of a better term.

Have you updated your graphics card drivers lately? We once did that via Windows updates and it messed things up within the game. And had to go to the manufacturer's website to download the actual driver, which had been updated even further since.

It seems like our video card driver has an update for us monthly. *Snicker*

Let us know how it goes, :)

MrsFlynn

Offline Stormi71

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 04:08:47 PM »
Still didn't fix it. Guess it's factory reset time. Stupid computer reinstalled the windows update that hubby removed, to, as I restarted the computer and walked away and it sneakily did it.
Not sure about the graphics card.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 06:59:24 PM »
My computer has done that before. There is away to turn updates off or to where it doesn't install them till you expressly tell it to.

Anyway, here's something else I found that might help. Or to keep note of it, in case it's needed later. :)

Lags & Intermittent Freezes
http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/04/bug-lags-intermittent-freezes.html

MrsFlynn

Offline Stormi71

• Occult
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 05:44:11 AM »
Thanks Mrs Flynn. I will try some stuff again tomorrow. Have been way busy with the kids going back to school after summer vacation and a million other things. I'm missing my Sims, though :(

Offline Stormi71

• Occult
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 06:06:50 PM »
I tried a new game in a new town with that family, and it froze again after a couple of minutes. I am going to try a new game with a pre-made household to see if that works, in case it's something in the house causing it? They have a fair bit of stuff as far as decor is concerned, but the house is not overly full, no huge garden or anything like that. If the premade house freezes up, I will do the factory reset and hope I know what I'm doing.  If I stuff something up, can I go back to the original sims folder and just change the name of that back to Sims 3 so the game uses that again?

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 06:12:33 PM »
You can also check if the sims or just one of them have a lot of things in their inventory. This can also cause lag.

anything