Author Topic: Curiosity: why would you want to make your plumbot sentient?  (Read 11134 times)

Offline LordHellscream

• Llama Wrangler
Curiosity: why would you want to make your plumbot sentient?
« on: October 27, 2013, 06:51:33 PM »
Plumbots are awesome! I think we all agree on that, what i don't understand is that why people would want make them sentient. By sentient, I mean all the chips that give them extra need (friendly, social, love, sentient, emotion etc)

Let's break down the logic here:
Plumbot (with simple trait chips) vs Normal Sims - The Pros
- Plumbots have very focused AI, they do things they are designed to do autonomously.
- Plumbots with simple trait chips are self-sufficient, they do not need to be micromanaged at all. they are not distracted by additional needs and thus can work more efficiently and for much much extra long hour.
- Plumbots with simple trait chips have no MOOD, so they are IMMUNE to negative moodlets.
- Plumbots have much less need for LTR, a lot of rewards are tinkered toward normal sims.

Plumbot (in general) vs Normal Sims - The Cons
- Plumbot cannot have a real romance, as they cannot woohoo.
- Plumbots cannot have children, and no descendants.
- Plumbots cannot eat, as such they miss out on the huge boost in mood from ambrosia, which can help them accumulate LTHP. or keep their mood high (when they have mood)
- Because Plumbots are so simple (even being sentient), they are not as interesting (for instance, most of the furnitures are useless to them, no need for fridge, replicator, toilet, shower, good beds, seat as they do not have comfort, making designing a house for them much less interesting) to play as Main sims compare to regular sims (this point can be argued as being subjective, but i'll include it anyway)

Now let's see what making them sentient (again, this include all the fun, social, mood, romance etc chips) would do:
- they are no longer as autonomous - since they have more things to do. they are much more easily distracted
- they are no longer self-sufficient - player would need to constantly watch their social/fun level in addition to energy and maintainence, not to mention to take care of their moods.
- they are No longer immune to negative moodlets, which dramatically increases the micromanagement player need to perform. Also being a robot they do not enjoy many of the enjoyable things of a regular sims, so they have less positive moodlets

Now let's see what making them sentient brings:
- Nothing! they still cannot have real romance, they still cannot have babies! in fact, they can't even get life time wish. and they still cannot eat!

So my curiosity exploded on me, why ?

Offline cassiopia

• Nooboo
Re: Curiosity: why would you want to make your plumbot sentient?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 07:08:57 PM »
You have explained it really well - and therein lie the reasons why my sim took the sentient chip back out of her plumbot. He no longer cleaned, wouldn't fix anything, and kept waking her up in the middle of the night to chat, resulting in no sleep.  It was incredibly annoying!  I prefer my plumbots to be autonomous, not needing me to tell them what to do (or not do) every few minutes. 

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 11:53:33 PM »
Just to add to your list of negatives, they also get annoyed that you order them around so you cause them a small negative moodlet for using them as your servant. I agree totally that Sentience is just not worth it for anything other than a LTW (haven't checked on requirements) but primarily useful for the Legacy Statue. I'd rather roll with Simulated Emotions and turn on the positive moodlet so that it can at least get LTHP from mood being high since my Sentient plumbot hasn't got wishes (although that may be fixable as some have noted in another topic).

Offline LordHellscream

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 11:40:42 PM »
And also, Plumbots cannot use Dream pod! How sad! Another reason why they should be kept as helper/servant.

Offline s4dfish

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 11:32:30 AM »
Quote from: LordHellscream
in fact, they can't even get life time wish.
Small correction, but they can get LTW.

What I've been trying to determine is if there's any reason to install multiple social trait chips or if Sentience is effectively a trump, (i.e. does friendly+sentience do anything more than just sentience).