Author Topic: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge  (Read 3250131 times)

Offline Niana

• Occult
Re: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge
« Reply #7485 on: March 17, 2013, 02:26:50 AM »
So going up to lvl 9 is okay? Or almost to the top of that level and then stopping till you get home??

Online Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7486 on: March 17, 2013, 03:16:37 AM »
So going up to lvl 9 is okay? Or almost to the top of that level and then stopping till you get home??

Yes, that's fine, as long as the Skill isn't maxed when you are at Uni. :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Paulo

• Nooboo
« Reply #7487 on: March 17, 2013, 10:25:37 AM »
I've been playing the challenge a bit now, still on the first generation though. I've had a roommate in the house, as I've got the University xpac just recently. Its bugged out though and the roommate has become a controllable member of the household :(  just after starting the game today.

Now I'm overflowing with sims, is it possible to remove this excess sim. I know the rules normally prevent sims from being moved out.

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #7488 on: March 17, 2013, 10:38:44 AM »
Sorry Paulo - Roommates are already household members and must remain as part of the household until their death.  If he became controllable, then I'm sorry but you have to keep him.   

This is one of the reasons I encouraged the rule to be as it is.  Also - if just getting one more Sim added to the mix is too hard for you, how do you plan on handling it at the end when there is no room for roommates and the entire household is full?

what is the problem with maxing skills at uni?

It's bugged. I don't know the exact specifications (I have two Sims at Uni. One is my Dynasty heir who has already maxed his SuperMax and the other is a test sim in another save, who has NO skills), but I think it doesn't properly register that you maxed it.

Actually it's worse than that.    If your Sim learns level 5 logic while at uni, they are unable to tutor a child no matter what level they are if they don't learn a level in their homeworld.   This works for similar abilities you get when you hit a level.  Until you hit the next level, the game doesn't register that you can do that specific item.

Another thing to consider - it's the skilling of a skill that prompts opportunities.   Maxing a skill early can cause you to not get as many opps as are available because a large portion of opportunities are only given while you still have something to learn.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline Paulo

• Nooboo
« Reply #7489 on: March 17, 2013, 11:07:13 AM »
Sorry Paulo - Roommates are already household members and must remain as part of the household until their death.  If he became controllable, then I'm sorry but you have to keep him.   

This is one of the reasons I encouraged the rule to be as it is.  Also - if just getting one more Sim added to the mix is too hard for you, how do you plan on handling it at the end when there is no room for roommates and the entire household is full?

No worries, I don't really mind. Its easy enough, I've just not got a massive desire to play this sim, but I'll find something to occupy her time.

Offline mald1983

• Nooboo
« Reply #7490 on: March 17, 2013, 01:22:24 PM »
Hello, fellow simmers!  I'm a new member to the site, though I've used it for at least a year for research and info and I've been simming since TS1 was first released.  I became a member because of the challenges, most especially this one, because they look like fun!  But enough about my intro, I actually have some questions.

I started my ID (after very careful planning for the last week or so) and I followed the familyfunds rule, bringing my Founder Thomas Kipling to $1800.  However, I started building on my ID lot and found that a 3x5 room with the cheapest door, free flooring and free wallpaper, and the cheapest bunk bed ate up all of the money.  I can't even get the dorm fridge from the UL EP.  :-[

So, my question is this: is the $1800 rule before or after building a simple starter structure (as in, a small studio with a small bath)?  I don't know if someone else has asked this before, and I read about 100 pages of this thread before I got a headache with no answer found. 

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #7491 on: March 17, 2013, 01:28:29 PM »
Hello, fellow simmers!  I'm a new member to the site, though I've used it for at least a year for research and info and I've been simming since TS1 was first released.  I became a member because of the challenges, most especially this one, because they look like fun!  But enough about my intro, I actually have some questions.

I started my ID (after very careful planning for the last week or so) and I followed the familyfunds rule, bringing my Founder Thomas Kipling to $1800.  However, I started building on my ID lot and found that a 3x5 room with the cheapest door, free flooring and free wallpaper, and the cheapest bunk bed ate up all of the money.  I can't even get the dorm fridge from the UL EP.  :-[

So, my question is this: is the $1800 rule before or after building a simple starter structure (as in, a small studio with a small bath)?  I don't know if someone else has asked this before, and I read about 100 pages of this thread before I got a headache with no answer found.

Welcome to the forum!!

The §1800 cheat is the first thing you do and you build after.     How many Expansions do you have?   There are a lot of people that don't even bother building with the 1800.   I myself moved in someone else to sell their car.  Depending on what world you chose, there is always someone who has a car to get rid of.  And they're usually happy to do it.

The first couple of times I did this, I didn't have seasons so I didn't even bother with shelter.  I did a 4 x 4 space with an arch instead of a door, toilet from LN and cheapest shower.  Moving in someone will net you at least §5000 plus their inventory.   So yes the 1800 is hard but it's your strategy on how to handle that 1800 and on how to get more.   

If you have ambitions, don't forget you could sleep at the fire station.   You can also eat, shower and sleep at the gym in Sunset Valley.  I've done that.   

Plus there is a tips thread that you might want to read, too.  It's in the Immortal Dynasty stories board.   Sometimes reading those stories can give you ideas you would have never thought of.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Paulo

• Nooboo
« Reply #7492 on: March 17, 2013, 01:31:16 PM »
Hi Mald, I Just lived outdoors for a bit, before I got another sim moved in.  Though I married in a day, shame they had a crappy car  :P

Offline mald1983

• Nooboo
« Reply #7493 on: March 17, 2013, 01:47:03 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for the clarification.  I didn't even know you could sleep at the gym in SV, though I never had a reason to before.

I have every EP, though I did decide before I started that I would turn off the seasons and weather (though I wanted rain for variety but I might restart and try something different.

I may have to rethink my strategy and get married right away like Paulo.  Maybe that crazy lady in SV will be interested...hmm...

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #7494 on: March 17, 2013, 01:50:57 PM »
Don't forget you can also have helpers.   Dogs can get tiberium and gigantic space rocks within days of learning hunting.   Cats can do all the fishing.  Roommates can do the gardening while you concentrate on cooking.   Or other things if you like.   I've brought in extra people just to make sure I have a spouse for the next generation.

Don't have to get married but you can move people in which is a friendly interaction.  They just can't leave once they are there.  If you're going to go for someone who has a nice car (Holly Alto, One of the Wolffs, Agnes for SV examples), remember to invite them out or over to your house where you see them driving the nice car first.  Or you could lose out.

Another thing - about the rain - Rain can cause you to not be able to save after building due to a game glitch.  So just be careful.

Offline EllaTheTaco

• Ella The Great
  • Townie
« Reply #7495 on: March 17, 2013, 03:32:07 PM »
Sorry if this has already been answered, or its on the first page but I missed it, but are sims allowed to go to University? I think so, and I don't think so, because its kind of like traveling, but you get SO much time for extra skilling that it would be to easy.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #7496 on: March 17, 2013, 03:34:36 PM »
They can go University after generation two is a young adult. Please note that there are a handful of awful bugs associated with skilling up at University.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #7497 on: March 17, 2013, 03:35:10 PM »
Sorry if this has already been answered, or its on the first page but I missed it, but are sims allowed to go to University? I think so, and I don't think so, because its kind of like traveling, but you get SO much time for extra skilling that it would be to easy.

http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,1810.msg289703.html#msg289703

Also -- remember what it says at the bottom of the ID thread.   You need to keep up with the thread too.  This was a few pages back.

Not to mention this information was available in the rules if you read the one about traveling.

Offline Vesper

• Occult
« Reply #7498 on: March 17, 2013, 06:26:05 PM »
I was thinking of starting an Immortal Dynasty in Aurora Skies and when I checked your Edit Town rules for it I noticed that The Blue Lagoon wasn't on your list of community lots that can be reassigned. It's not listed as anything at the moment and cannot be purchased so I was wondering if it could be changed to a Hangout or something possibly?

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #7499 on: March 17, 2013, 06:27:05 PM »
I was thinking of starting an Immortal Dynasty in Aurora Skies and when I checked your Edit Town rules for it I noticed that The Blue Lagoon wasn't on your list of community lots that can be reassigned. It's not listed as anything at the moment and cannot be purchased so I was wondering if it could be changed to a Hangout or something possibly?

Give me an hour or two and I'll go into AS and see what it says so that I can decide why I didn't add it.  Where is it exactly?

anything