Author Topic: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge  (Read 3248786 times)

Offline Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Tribble is as Tribble does
Re: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge
« Reply #6600 on: December 05, 2012, 02:47:28 AM »
These glitches are getting old fast. My latest one came when I tried to save my game this morning before going off to work.

I used the 'save' option as I usually do, and then had to get out, as it was virtually right on the dot of when I had to leave. When I got back (about 1/2 an hour ago) it was STILL on the save screen, which I thought was weird. The computer had also completely frozen, and nothing (not even alt-tab [to switch between bottom of the screen tabs] nor ctrl-alt-del [to bring up the task manager]) worked. So I was left with turning the computer off and on again and hoping that the game had saved itself (which it had done previously when something similar had happened).

On re-opening the Sims 3 and going to the saved game screen, I discovered that no, it hadn't saved itself, and had reverted to the last saved instance of that file. That was back when Yumi was still alive and Majel hadn't learned her essential toddler skills (let alone her xylophone skill).

So, am I free to continue playing this one, or would it be best to restart?

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6601 on: December 05, 2012, 03:27:19 AM »
Although I'm in no position to say whether you can carry on or not, here's my advice.
Pam brought this up in another thread. If Metro/Rica/Ratchie allows it for you, my suggestion would be to go into Edit Town and move the family to the clipboard and back - that appears to fix this issue.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #6602 on: December 05, 2012, 03:42:49 AM »
Aha ... that thread. Thanks Seabody. I can see a couple of similarities between that one and what I've done ...

* I did build a single room (with spiral staircase to it) as an upper floor on the house.

* I also bought the elixir shop and put a couple of things on it (the subway - for future use) and two searchlights (to meet the upgrade requirements).

I'll have to try the other things that were suggested in that thread, especially the clearing the caches, however I will wait for the word on it from Metro/Rica/Ratchie before doing so.

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6603 on: December 05, 2012, 06:16:44 AM »
@Deklitch — go ahead and see if the Edit Town/clipboard trick can resolve your problem. *fingers crossed*

Offline Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #6604 on: December 05, 2012, 07:24:57 AM »
Ok, I will *crosses everything ... even things that really shouldn't be crossed*.

Thanks Metro

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #6605 on: December 05, 2012, 07:26:42 AM »
Don't hurt yourself and don't forget to clear your caches.  That really really does help.  I do all the ones suggested but the socialcache.  Funny thing - I was half awake when the baby started screaming and that reminded me of your dynasty.  That has to be a good sign right?  I obviously need to not read dynasty stories right before bed though. Haha

Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #6606 on: December 05, 2012, 08:10:10 AM »
Ok ... I managed to move the family and house to the clipboard, bulldozed the house and returned the family and house to the correct property. I was then able to save it. I then tried to exit Sims 3 in order to go and clear the caches. It froze at that point, but I was able to ctrl-alt-del and get to the task manager which told me that Sims 3 had stopped responding.

I went into the caches listed and deleted all the files excepting that ccmerged file. I also did the five .package caches.

So now I guess I go back in and see how I go.

Thanks Metro, Ricalynn and Seabody for your help.

I also noticed that Seabody asked Pam if she had any xcpt files. I have 5 or 6 of them. The one that has a date/time that matches this latest event for me has the following in it:

[Exception info]
date: 2012-12-05
time: 08.29.06
type: ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000681
address: 0x00b38c7a "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe":0x0001:0x00737c7a

as well as

[Instruction data]
00b38bfa => DasmX86Dll.dll not found.

Going in now to see what happens.

Dek

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #6607 on: December 05, 2012, 08:24:18 AM »
It all seems to be working fine ... the biggest thing I can see at the moment as an issue is that Patrick's YA Portrait has disappeared. However, Agnes still has 3 days to paint him a new one. Thankfully the last save was before his YA-Adult Birthday

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #6608 on: December 05, 2012, 08:24:29 AM »
I actually get that exception a lot.   Never been able to figure out why.  It happened about halfway through my dynasty where every time I go to exit to main menu or the game that it would stop working.  It only happened with my dynasty file and it's annoying to be sure.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline sunshine_2406

• Occult
  • Call me Alice :)
« Reply #6609 on: December 06, 2012, 07:40:31 AM »
I have a question...

When it comes to counting best friends, is it a matter of no generation can have the same best friends, or they can but just can't count them?
For example, Gen 1 uses the spouse as a best friend. Is it okay for Gen 2 to become best friends with that parent so long as it isn't counted towards the requirements?

From the moment I fell down that rabbit hole I've been told what I must do and who I must be. I've been shrunk, stretched, scratched and stuffed into a teapot. I've been accused of being Alice, and of not being Alice, but this is my dream. I'll decide where it goes from here.

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #6610 on: December 06, 2012, 08:44:35 AM »
For example, Gen 1 uses the spouse as a best friend. Is it okay for Gen 2 to become best friends with that parent so long as it isn't counted towards the requirements?

Exactly right.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6611 on: December 07, 2012, 03:21:23 AM »
Exactly right.

I might be misunderstanding, but wouldn't that be invalidating the uniqueness of Generation 1's Best Friend? Since Best Friends are unique, that would mean that another immortal is sharing the BF, so it isn't really unique.

Offline Shirin

• Watcher
« Reply #6612 on: December 07, 2012, 06:37:42 AM »
I think you're confusing this with Life States. In this Dynasty, you need to have 6 Best Friends, and I'm sure you know how hard it can be to have one unique best friend, let alone six. :)

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #6613 on: December 07, 2012, 07:12:21 AM »
    I might be misunderstanding, but wouldn't that be invalidating the uniqueness of Generation 1's Best Friend? Since Best Friends are unique, that would mean that another immortal is sharing the BF, so it isn't really unique.

The exact rule says:

6. Have 6 different Best Friends (must be different Best Friends of other immortals) at the time of eating Ambrosia for the first time. So, that means if your potential immortal has one of the 6 Best Friends die the day before Ambrosia is to be eaten, then it’s time to start knocking on doors for a new Best Friend. If someone is listed in the Relationship Panel as an Old Friend, the relationship strength may still be as strong as a Best Friend. Just see where the Sim falls in relation to other nearby Best Friends — friend strength falls from highest to lowest. Anyone/anything can qualify as a Best Friend, including spouses, household members, cars, and Imaginary Friends. Don’t worry if friendships deteriorate after Ambrosia has been eaten.[/li][/list]

It does not say 6 unique.   Each immortal has to choose 6 different Best Friends to claim.  I don't know about the rest of you guys but there was a point in my dynasty where the first four immortals couldn't meet anyone without being an instant best friend with them.  They're celebrity and almost supermaxed charisma was better than a pocket full of potent friendship elixirs. 

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
    • Watcher
    • Every puzzle has an answer
    « Reply #6614 on: December 07, 2012, 11:51:41 AM »
    Not for myself, but has a lot for Monte Vista been selected? There is one called 37 Verona Way that is 64x64 which I think is the normal Dynasty lot size.
    ** My Stories **

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research." - Sherlock

anything