Author Topic: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge  (Read 3250135 times)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge
« Reply #5145 on: June 23, 2012, 01:08:12 PM »
The Surrounded by Family Lifetime Wish is not something I would recommend for this challenge.  You'll have 2 parents and 5 kids for a total of 7 Sims.  You wouldn't be able to bring in generation 2 until the founder's spouse dies.  It's going to remain difficult until each of the other 4 kids die.  Space quickly becomes a problem with this challenge and using that LTW only complicates it further to the point that you could easily fail the challenge.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

AdnaanA

« Reply #5146 on: June 23, 2012, 02:31:15 PM »
Pam, I've tried the surrounded with family wish with my founder. It stopped at gen 4 because of bugs. My sim married Gunther Goth so obviously he died in about 25 days since he has 5 days till elder and the elder life stage is 17 days. He died at age 93.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5147 on: June 23, 2012, 03:55:21 PM »
When did you play this particular game file because I was always under the impression that the Cruises were your first dynasty family and that Dylan Cruise was the first person you got to ambrosia.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

AdnaanA

« Reply #5148 on: June 23, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
No.... I had a lot of dynasty games before the Cruises. I've had a couple of dynasty games where I'd go up to 1st gen being a child and then stop.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5149 on: June 23, 2012, 04:29:22 PM »
I have a question about the guitar star challange. My immortal to be while not actually trying to supermax music got an opp to play for tips in a public place. I have sent him to several public places(including the park and outside the theatre)and the opp is not completing. Does it make a difference if he plays the piano rather than the guitar. Any help would be appreciated.

Rachel

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #5150 on: June 23, 2012, 04:30:21 PM »
What instrument is displayed in the skill opportunity slot?
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5151 on: June 23, 2012, 04:49:05 PM »
It says play piano in public for tips. I am also slightly irritated that despite having got to level ten in piano poor Alby now has to learn guitar in order to advance in his career. I just thought that so long as they knew how to play an instrument it would count towards the career metric but not at all he has a sad face next to guitar.

Rachel

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #5152 on: June 23, 2012, 05:38:38 PM »
It says play piano in public for tips. I am also slightly irritated that despite having got to level ten in piano poor Alby now has to learn guitar in order to advance in his career. I just thought that so long as they knew how to play an instrument it would count towards the career metric but not at all he has a sad face next to guitar.

Rachel

If the opportunity says play piano for tips, then it should complete when your Sim plays the piano for tips.  No other instrument will do the job.  Does the skill journal call it the Guitar Star Challenge when it's for the piano?

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5153 on: June 23, 2012, 05:47:30 PM »
In the journal it is listed as piano star. I think it might be Alby that is bugged although I can see people putting tips in a jar I am not getting the pop up saying Albatross earned x amount in tips when he stops playing.I even sent Chaffinch along to the same locations to see if she earned any tips and she had no problem.

I am about to close down my game and I will restart it in the morning and see if that helps.

Rachel

Xajjia

« Reply #5154 on: June 23, 2012, 08:41:04 PM »
Hi guys,

I am new to Sims 3 and decided to have a crack at the Immortal Dynasty Challenge as proposed here.  I have tried a few times but mess it up at the start.  I have a question which may seem stupid - am I allowed to pick a house from the EA house from the stock houses listed in Edit Town for my land or am I meant to live it rough and build from scratch?  Whilst living rough is fun and living from an eventual packing crate is even more fun, it makes it hard to play from my point of view so I was kinda curious about this factor.  I get absorbed in building from scratch and end up losing time on making friends and finding a mate.

Kind regards

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #5155 on: June 23, 2012, 08:45:02 PM »
Hi guys,

I am new to Sims 3 and decided to have a crack at the Immortal Dynasty Challenge as proposed here.  I have tried a few times but mess it up at the start.  I have a question which may seem stupid - am I allowed to pick a house from the EA house from the stock houses listed in Edit Town for my land or am I meant to live it rough and build from scratch?  Whilst living rough is fun and living from an eventual packing crate is even more fun, it makes it hard to play from my point of view so I was kinda curious about this factor.  I get absorbed in building from scratch and end up losing time on making friends and finding a mate.

Kind regards

The official way to complete this challenge is to start with an empty plot of land and build your house yourself.   If you're really worried, depending on the town you choose, there are a few people you could move in as a mate or best friend and they will give you a lot of money to start with and you can build a house that makes you comfortable for a generation or two.    Agnes Crumplebottom, Holly Alto, Thornton or Morganna Wolff but make sure they're driving the car from their house, meaning that it's in their pocket.  If they show up in the sloppy jalopy, you're only get about 20k if they move in. 
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Tribble is as Tribble does
« Reply #5156 on: June 23, 2012, 10:23:59 PM »
The official way to complete this challenge is to start with an empty plot of land and build your house yourself.   If you're really worried, depending on the town you choose, there are a few people you could move in as a mate or best friend and they will give you a lot of money to start with and you can build a house that makes you comfortable for a generation or two.    Agnes Crumplebottom, Holly Alto, Thornton or Morganna Wolff but make sure they're driving the car from their house, meaning that it's in their pocket.  If they show up in the sloppy jalopy, you're only get about 20k if they move in. 

Billy Caspian from Riverview is another one that has a lovely car. He gave me 105K from the car alone.

Old Friend is still fine as long as the relationship bar is in the same range as other Best Friends - Old Friend essentially means the friendship has lasted longer than a certain number of sim days, and I think it might decay slower or offer extra friendly interactions.

Instead of turning the Imaginary Friend real, you can try padding the household with pets - you can have 6 pets or 8 sims in the house, but only a total of 10, so if you have 3 pets you won't end up with more than 7 sims. Since pets can come and go from the household, you only have to have them in the house for 3 or 4 days at the most. Getting the founder and husband to have more children might just be a matter of persistence - or, do adopted children count for the LTW? That way you'd get to control the number and I think there's no problem adopting children into the household once the heir is born from a natural pregnancy.

The "Hunted" moodlet is notorious for getting stuck when you get it in a rabbit hole (like school or a workplace). There's probably a vampire at school if that's where you got it. Since this is a known bug I think it would be okay to delete it - use testingcheatsenabled true, and then shift-click on the moodlet. A moodlet manager can probably get rid of it, too, without using the cheat. I think either way it'll keep coming back if you keep encountering vampires in rabbit holes, though, and it's fairly small, so you might want to just live with it.

Thanks for your help, Cathy. I think I'll live with it. Thanks also for the advice regarding old friends. I think that Distant friends vs Old Friends was confusing me. Given my experience with Agnes' Cat Mistopheles, I think I'll bypass playing pets in my family for the time being. It broke my heart to see Mistopheles taken away.

@deklitch

Cathy has a good idea. Grab an elder that your sim is friends with and move them in. Then there won't be room for triplets. I think someone did this to save their game when the sixth generation insisted on having twins out of the blue.

Also, you'll probably have to try a lot for a pregnancy. I'm convinced the older the mom the lower the "try for baby" success rate. Agnes had no trouble conceiving at the middle of the adult stage. But when she had already gotten her birthday coming soon message - yikes, I think they tried seven times before getting the music (and that was with fertility treatment). Although it could be coincidence.

Oh good idea on the Elder sim, Katie. I think I'll do that!

I just checked on the adoption issue. 1) If you adopt an infant, it counts towards Surrounded By Family. 2) It's totally legit to adopt non-immortals. The wish is to raise the children from Infant to Teen, so I think it triggers on Child #5's Teen birthday, meaning that from a natural pregnancy it takes about 3 weeks from the last Try For Baby, or for an adoption a little less than that.

It definitely becomes harder to conceive as the mother approaches her elder birthday - Fertility Treatment might help with that (and I don't think any other immortal will want it, so it could be a good Unique LTR). But if you're in the last week or so of her Adult stage adoption might be worthwhile.

Thanks Cathy! I'll adopt two little blighters. :) I gave mother and father both fertility treatment.

The Surrounded by Family Lifetime Wish is not something I would recommend for this challenge.  You'll have 2 parents and 5 kids for a total of 7 Sims.  You wouldn't be able to bring in generation 2 until the founder's spouse dies.  It's going to remain difficult until each of the other 4 kids die.  Space quickly becomes a problem with this challenge and using that LTW only complicates it further to the point that you could easily fail the challenge.

I agree Pam. However, if it should come off, I'll be happy and impressed, and I'm always up for a challenge. The twins are about three-four days behind Gen 2 heir, and Gen 1 partner is older than Founder. Their baby/toddler days were difficult, the babysitter was invaluable and was almost used 24-7.

As always thank you all for your advice and suggestions.

Believe it or not, I decided to start a new immortal dynasty challenge. So I've got three of them underway at the moment. I do have the attention span of a gnat, however.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #5157 on: June 23, 2012, 10:36:22 PM »
Thanks for your help, Cathy. I think I'll live with it. Thanks also for the advice regarding old friends. I think that Distant friends vs Old Friends was confusing me. Given my experience with Agnes' Cat Mistopheles, I think I'll bypass playing pets in my family for the time being. It broke my heart to see Mistopheles taken away.

It would break my heart, too.  If you still play that game file, you can try checking the paper for pets available at the shelter and Mistopheles might be there.  It might be hard to adopt him, though, because he was taken by the Social Worker.  It's worth a try, though.  Pets aren't terribly hard to manage.  They are just like regular Sims and have needs that need to be watched.  If the social need is the biggest problem, another pet would work wonders.  Other than that, they just need food, a bed, litter box, a scratching post, and some toys.  They can take care of themselves for the most part if you don't want to control them a lot if there are two of them.  I've never had one taken away, but I got a warning about it very recently.  One of the cats had a very low social bar and I got a warning that if I didn't take better care of him, the Social Worker would come.  I just had to get him active with the other cats to get it set right again.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Tribble is as Tribble does
« Reply #5158 on: June 23, 2012, 10:50:53 PM »
It would break my heart, too.  If you still play that game file, you can try checking the paper for pets available at the shelter and Mistopheles might be there.  It might be hard to adopt him, though, because he was taken by the Social Worker.  It's worth a try, though.  Pets aren't terribly hard to manage.  They are just like regular Sims and have needs that need to be watched.  If the social need is the biggest problem, another pet would work wonders.  Other than that, they just need food, a bed, litter box, a scratching post, and some toys.  They can take care of themselves for the most part if you don't want to control them a lot if there are two of them.  I've never had one taken away, but I got a warning about it very recently.  One of the cats had a very low social bar and I got a warning that if I didn't take better care of him, the Social Worker would come.  I just had to get him active with the other cats to get it set right again.

Thanks for those ideas, Pam. It was the social need that was the problem. Next time I'll try extra cats.

Edit: A question with regards to adopting.

I'm trying a different approach with my 3rd concurrently running Dynasty attempt. I'm making my founder (Chilli Peppers) a professional author instead of an angler or a gardener. I'm going to bring in friends to take care of the cooking/gardening/fishing and so forth. On the first day he befriended Billy Caspian (now Billy Peppers) and got him to move in as a friend. Can I get Billy to adopt someone before my founder produces his heir with one of the females around Riverview? Or would any adoptions, even by a non-immortal need to take place after an heir is produced?

Dek

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #5159 on: June 23, 2012, 11:06:16 PM »
I'm trying a different approach with my 3rd concurrently running Dynasty attempt. I'm making my founder (Chilli Peppers) a professional author instead of an angler or a gardener. I'm going to bring in friends to take care of the cooking/gardening/fishing and so forth. On the first day he befriended Billy Caspian (now Billy Peppers) and got him to move in as a friend. Can I get Billy to adopt someone before my founder produces his heir with one of the females around Riverview? Or would any adoptions, even by a non-immortal need to take place after an heir is produced?

Dek

The non-immortals aren't held to any of the immortal heir restrictions.  So, Billy can adopt or do anything he wants.  It's just that, of course, that child cannot be the heir.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

anything