Author Topic: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge  (Read 3251313 times)

Offline geekchic

• Townie
Re: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge
« Reply #4860 on: May 07, 2012, 10:58:40 PM »
Grim never came for a mortal with death flowers, he did come for Agnes, who had none in her inventory. -Nod-

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4861 on: May 08, 2012, 01:36:05 AM »
I haven't been game to install it since then out of fear of it crashing my lovely new Windows 7 operating system. Maybe I will try it and just hope it doesn't get taken away by Death..

Unless there's something terribly wrong with your WA Disc, it shouldn't crash Windows 7. I run Windows 7, and only occasionally experience bugs/glitches/crashes. And even with the latter, it's usually a crash to desktop. I've had this computer for nearly a year now, and I've only had two Blue Screens of Death. Ever. (touch wood)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Tribble is as Tribble does
« Reply #4862 on: May 08, 2012, 10:09:05 AM »
Well, I don't know if the computer didn't like me thinking about installing WA into it or something, but tonight it decided to freeze continuously and not start up properly.

I did try to download the world created by this forum to it and that seemed to work alright. I also had Pam's wonderful spreadsheet open and working through that, but that all seemed to go alright as well.

I had the thing in at the computer shop getting serviced a couple of weeks ago as well. It did seem ever so slower after that. In the words of an advertisement for Yellow Pages from a few years ago, "NOT HAPPY JAN"

I do have a laptop, but I use it for non-game purposes, apart from posting to this forum.

Offline warr2098

• Future Neurologist
  • Immortal
« Reply #4863 on: May 08, 2012, 10:45:27 AM »
Would I be able to do an immortal dynasty but with my founder carrying the graves of their parents so they could be placed in the cemetery?

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4864 on: May 08, 2012, 11:05:51 AM »
Would I be able to do an immortal dynasty but with my founder carrying the graves of their parents so they could be placed in the cemetery?

No, the founder must be fresh out of CAS, to get a parents tombstones means there is more than one sim being made and two that you've killed off some sims. So that's kind of two rules out the window before you've even started skilling your Founder.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

AdnaanA

« Reply #4865 on: May 08, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
Okay, folks. Listen up. This whole issue of "do my immortals have to be married?" and "do my spouses need to live in the house?" is starting to wear thin on me. Pam and I had a pow wow last night and it was decided that as long as players follow the explicit rules, then you're fine. Yes, there is no rule specifically stating that an immortal needs to be married. And yes, there's no rule specifically stating that spouses have to live in the house. I guess I'm just old-fashioned and assumed that players would make that leap as to what needed to be done. I'm sorry I wasn't more specific, guys. It's a little late to now to change a rule like that, so if someone wants to do it the old-fashioned way — you marry, then the spouse moves in, great. That was always my intent. If someone wants to change things up for variety, hey — go for it. As long as you follow the rules, I'm okay with it.
Can you still do this

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #4866 on: May 08, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Odie

• Occult
  • Dutch mommy living in Norway
« Reply #4867 on: May 08, 2012, 02:34:05 PM »
Well ... I don't know if the computer didn't like me thinking about installing WA into it or something ... but tonight it decided to freeze continuously and not start up properly.

I did try to download the world created by this forum to it ... and that seemed to work alright. I also had Pam's wonderful spreadsheet open and working through that ... but that all seemed to go alright as well.

I had the thing in at the computer shop getting serviced a couple of weeks ago as well. It did seem ever so slower after that. In the words of an advertisement for Yellow Pages from a few years ago ... "NOT HAPPY JAN"

I do have a laptop, but I use it for non-game purposes, apart from posting to this forum.

Just like Seabody I have Windows 7 (on a laptop by the way) and it works very well. Of course it does depend on the specs of the laptop. But if you can run Pets (do you have that) you should be able to run WA for sure. At least, I thought Pets was the hardest to handle.

(Oh, and maybe the problems do come from not installing them in chronologic order? I am not sure and don't want to be the one giving you a lot of work actually, but you never know. Many websites say you can get problems running the game if you have a different order.)

I would also like to point out that unless the portrait is completely fuzzed you can tell if the portrait was done while the person was a YA.   The face actually physically changes when you become an adult from a young adult just like it does when you become an elder.  The degree a person sees is based on graphics settings but it is noticeable if a portrait is of a clearer nature.

I actually was talking about a photo of a painting, referring to what Samoth04 asked earlier. I am still wondering about this. Is it ok to have a photo of a painting instead of a photo of the Sim directly?
Problem? Don't panic! There is always a solution. You just have to find it  :D

Offline Shirin

• Watcher
« Reply #4868 on: May 08, 2012, 02:36:43 PM »
I'm pretty sure Metro had ruled previously that the photo has to register as the Sim him/herself. So a photo of a painting wouldn't register as My Spouse or My Child or My Grandchild or My Family Member (or whatever else).

Edit: Found it!

The subject of the photo needs to correctly register as the immortal (My Spouse, My Child, Superstar, etc) and not something else like a building or object.

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4869 on: May 08, 2012, 03:18:11 PM »
I said it was of a Sim Painting a painting. As in his head face with a brush in his hand. Not a photo of a painting. It registered as 'A Sim painting'.

Offline Odie

• Occult
  • Dutch mommy living in Norway
« Reply #4870 on: May 08, 2012, 04:26:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure Metro had ruled previously that the photo has to register as the Sim him/herself. So a photo of a painting wouldn't register as My Spouse or My Child or My Grandchild or My Family Member (or whatever else).

Edit: Found it!

I knew that, hence my question  ;)

I said it was of a Sim Painting a painting. As in his head face with a brush in his hand. Not a photo of a painting. It registered as 'A Sim painting'.

Oh! (that is literally what I said out loud just now :D)
Sorry, I completely misunderstood. Just like others misunderstood me again, oh well. But now I understand! Thank you for clearing that up!

Edit: I blame it on the language difference. I see it is just an accent and a letter more or less in your post and it means something totally different! It is good you "force" me to improve my English ;)
Problem? Don't panic! There is always a solution. You just have to find it  :D

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4871 on: May 08, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »
No problem! Sorry if I seemed a little blunt in what I just said, I was on my mobile and well - it's a pain to write anything but the most basic thing to convey a message on that thing!  :) I can easily see how it could be mixed up though.

The photograph in question is the one on the bottom below the two portraits. Will probably redo the Adult Portrait on the right though, even if it is the most expensive one the spouse has done yet. I did mean for him to be looking the wrong way - he's insane after all.  :P Normally he'd be pulling a face or I'd make it upside down but I was being lazy when doing this.

Offline KatieMiranda

• Nooboo
« Reply #4872 on: May 08, 2012, 08:18:49 PM »
I am almost one hundred pages in and appreciating many of the questions and strategies, but I have not seen an answer to this:

Will it be more valuable in the long run to A) Have a less skilled, but mortal, sim do the painting, ice sculpture, and photograph or B) Have an immortal who has completed all of the value-increasing challenges do the painting, etc etc? Basically it comes down to the appreciation values: is deceased worth more than "photohog" or whatever the sculpture one is.

Currently my 1st generation is holding Anges and Holly captive as "resident artists", but I'm not looking forward to training new ones every generation.

Thank you for any advice!

Online Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Tribble is as Tribble does
« Reply #4873 on: May 08, 2012, 11:56:00 PM »
Just like Seabody I have Windows 7 (on a laptop by the way) and it works very well. Of course it does depend on the specs of the laptop. But if you can run Pets (do you have that) you should be able to run WA for sure. At least, I thought Pets was the hardest to handle.

(Oh, and maybe the problems do come from not installing them in chronologic order? I am not sure and don't want to be the one giving you a lot of work actually, but you never know. Many websites say you can get problems running the game if you have a different order.)

It actually now appears as though the Hard Drive might be done and dusted (last month it was the monitor. So, in that case it means reloading all the software on it that I want, especially the important programs (ie the Sims Three). I have decided to upgrade to 1 Terabyte, if it does go down that route ... and apparently that means a faster and better performance from it ... so when I reload it all (assuming that's the issue) I'll definitely be doing it in the order of release.

I've been using this time to read through the Lifetime Wants and Rewards and am putting together an idea of how I'm attacking this Dynasty. The biggest change I'll have to make is exactly when I get my founding sim married, in order to get his portrait done before he becomes a full adult, and so that his partner's painting skill is up nice and high.

A question with regards to Life Time Rewards ... if the LTR is something that can benefit multiple people (eg the Fireproof Homestead) can that be included as the unique LTR for a sim, or because it impacts on all in the house, it can't be counted as a unique LTR for the sim who chose it, even if no one else chooses it? Additionally with something like Bookshop Bargainer ... if Immortal Sim 2 chooses that and Immortal Sim 5 is a guitarist, can Immortal Sim 2 go and buy the relevant books for Immortal Sim 5?

Offline Shirin

• Watcher
« Reply #4874 on: May 09, 2012, 12:12:41 AM »

I've been using this time to read through the Lifetime Wants and Rewards and am putting together an idea of how I'm attacking this Dynasty. The biggest change I'll have to make is exactly when I get my founding sim married, in order to get his portrait done before he becomes a full adult, and so that his partner's painting skill is up nice and high.

A question with regards to Life Time Rewards ... if the LTR is something that can benefit multiple people (eg the Fireproof Homestead) can that be included as the unique LTR for a sim, or because it impacts on all in the house, it can't be counted as a unique LTR for the sim who chose it, even if no one else chooses it? Additionally with something like Bookshop Bargainer ... if Immortal Sim 2 chooses that and Immortal Sim 5 is a guitarist, can Immortal Sim 2 go and buy the relevant books for Immortal Sim 5?

1) In this case, I am of the opinion, "the sooner the better." You don't need to have a child right away, but the sooner you can get the spouse into the house, the quicker the skill gets up, painting gets done, and you can have the spouse work on something else (if you so choose).

2) It can benefit multiple people - Queenie Man (Metro's Dynasty) has Fireproof Homestead as a unique LTR.

3) Yes. It's no different than your SuperMaxed Culinary Sim cooking Ambrosia for everyone.