Author Topic: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge  (Read 3248608 times)

Offline Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Tribble is as Tribble does
Re: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge
« Reply #7275 on: March 03, 2013, 05:03:34 PM »
weird things have happened regarding photography and cooking career.

To summarise cooking career ...
1 Founder's spouse did cooking career and maxed it.
2 Founder spouse retires
3 Gen 2 supermaxes cooking (skill) and maxes Painting career as uniques. He then quits painting.
4 Gen 2 changes careers to the cooking career for a second fridge and so forth.
5 When work day comes around, work vehicle comes, however he won't get into it. Neither automatically nor manually.
6 I click on the diner to send him to work that way, work is allowed to be selected for him, the icon for work appears (very briefly) in his queue of actions and then drops out. I do this three/four times, with the same result. He is being marked as absent from work, and his metric is going down.
7 I get him to quit from that work and send him to the bistro as his work place. Exactly the same thing happens.
8 I have done the reboot game, reboot system, clean caches, reset sim. None of it does any good.
9 It is a work day for him. There have been no snow days/celebration days/graduation days etc that would give him hidden days off, plus the fact that he is marked as 'missing work' would suggest that none of those is the case
Any suggestions/thoughts?

Photography
1 I sent Gen 3, Founder and Founder's Hubby to France to explore tombs and so forth.
2 Gen 3 and Gen 1 are both doing photography. Prior to going to France, Founder had taken lots of photos, Gen 3 had taken 1. Founder had the first two challenges completed
3 Gen 3 takes 1 photo in France of the French market. Suddenly he gets the message that he completed a photography skill challenge. It was the landmark skill challenge, and it says that he has taken 20 photos of landmarks.
4 Founder takes picture of French market. It does everything normal.
5 Gen 3 takes other photos in France, all the counters are working normally for him now.
6 Those on holidays return home to Sunset Valley after taking plenty of photos and completing two tombs. Gen 3 is still counted as having photographed 20 landmarks, but 12 photos altogether.
7 No other counters seem to have been effected.
Any suggestions/thoughts.

Neither are major issues, as neither the cooking career nor the photography skill are going to be used as a unique career/supermaxed skill respectively.

Dek

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #7276 on: March 03, 2013, 05:05:40 PM »
For your cook, manually direct him to change into his career outfit and try sending him to work again.

No idea about the photography issue.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #7277 on: March 03, 2013, 05:06:51 PM »
Ah ... thanks Trip, never thought about that with his uniform.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #7278 on: March 03, 2013, 09:22:48 PM »
I mentioned this in the University thread but I'm going to post/ask it here as well because it's Dynasty related and I think it needs discussion. (I hope you don't mind Rica, I wanted to post this here where it can be talked about).

Should Dynasty founders be allowed to attend University straight away or should they be made to wait until the second generation turns young adult like with travel?

I'm asking because in the broadcast the simgurus were saying that time will freeze or pass very slowly while sims are at University. There's nothing to stop people from giving their founders a head start in this case, as in sending them off to Uni, skilling them up and maybe do other stuff too. Then they would arrive in their home town and potentially begin their Dynasty, so to speak, with a big advantage such as having maxed certain skills already etc. This would be unfair to people who don't get University I think.

So what do people, most importantly our Dynasty mods think of this? Allowed or not? Or wait and see when University comes out? Either way, I think this warrants some discussion so thoughts people?

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #7279 on: March 03, 2013, 09:24:37 PM »
I mentioned this in the University thread but I'm going to post/ask it here as well because it's Dynasty related and I think it needs discussion. (I hope you don't mind Rica, I wanted to post this here where it can be talked about).

Should Dynasty founders be allowed to attend University straight away or should they be made to wait until the second generation turns young adult like with travel?

I'm asking because in the broadcast the simgurus were saying that time will freeze or pass very slowly while sims are at University. There's nothing to stop people from giving their founders a head start in this case, as in sending them off to Uni, skilling them up and maybe do other stuff too. Then they would arrive in their home town and potentially begin their Dynasty, so to speak, with a big advantage such as having maxed certain skills already etc. This would be unfair to people who don't get University I think.

So what do people, most importantly our Dynasty mods think of this? Allowed or not? Or wait and see when University comes out? Either way, I think this warrants some discussion so thoughts people?

Metro, Rachel and I will make this decision after University has come out.

The whole reason travel isn't allowed before the second generation is all the bugs that are associated with travel.   Until we hear about all possibilities/glitches a decision will not be made by us.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #7280 on: March 03, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
Posted by: Ricalynn
« on: Today at 09:24:37 PM » Metro, Rachel and I will make this decision after University has come out.

The whole reason travel isn't allowed before the second generation is all the bugs that are associated with travel.   Until we hear about all possibilities a decision will not be made by us.]

I thought that might be your answer. I can forsee possible bugs with travelling to University too, wouldn't surprise me if there were some. I also thought that one of the reasons travel was banned until the second generation was because it was too easy for people to give their founders a big advantage with it at the start of their Dynasties. I'm also interested to see what everyone has to say on the subject I brought up which was part of he reason why I did.  :)

PS: I forgot about the travel bugs, probably because I never get them.

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #7281 on: March 03, 2013, 09:32:52 PM »
I thought that might be your answer. I can forsee possible bugs with travelling to University too, wouldn't surprise me if there were some. I also thought that one of the reasons travel was banned until the second generation was because it was too easy for people to give their founders a big advantage with it at the start of their Dynasties. I'm also interested to see what everyone has to say on the subject I brought up which was part of he reason why I did.  :)

PS: I forgot aout the travel bugs, probably because I never get them.

Moving in Agnes and getting 100k with her level 7 painting skill and level 10 cooking also makes it easy.   We don't ban that.

The expansion isn't out yet.  We don't know how it will work or glitch.  There is nothing to discuss at this point.   The challenge team is the one that will be making the decision AFTER information comes in regarding possible issues. 

A discussion about it's uses will probably be started on the appropriate board when it's made once the expansion is actually available to play. 

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #7282 on: March 03, 2013, 11:36:27 PM »
The difference between travelling overseas/to university and moving Agnes or someone else who is rich/skilled in is that Agnes and others from Sunset Valley (and also Riverview, I suppose) with similar skills/resources is available as part of the base game. Everyone who plays Sims 3 has access to them. People have to pay extra to get the World Adventures/University expansion sets, and not everyone wants/can get additional expansion sets past the base game. So it gives us an even playing field in that respect.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #7283 on: March 04, 2013, 01:10:07 AM »
The whole reason travel isn't allowed before the second generation is all the bugs that are associated with travel.   Until we hear about all possibilities/glitches a decision will not be made by us.

Actually, the reason travel isn't allowed before the second generation is because I thought it would be more challenging without the ability to travel as the player is starting out.  No extra money from the books in Shang Simla, no additional produce for gardens, no Martial Arts skill, etc.  At least that was the idea when this challenge was first introduced.  :)
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #7284 on: March 04, 2013, 01:33:43 AM »
The difference between travelling overseas/to university and moving Agnes or someone else who is rich/skilled in is that Agnes and others from Sunset Valley (and also Riverview, I suppose) with similar skills/resources is available as part of the base game. Everyone who plays Sims 3 has access to them. People have to pay extra to get the World Adventures/University expansion sets, and not everyone wants/can get additional expansion sets past the base game. So it gives us an even playing field in that respect.

Posted by: Pam
« on: Today at 01:10:07 AM »Insert Quote

Actually, the reason travel isn't allowed before the second generation is because I thought it would be more challenging without the ability to travel as the player is starting out.  No extra money from the books in Shang Simla, no additional produce for gardens, no Martial Arts skill, etc.  At least that was the idea when this challenge was first introduced

I thought travelling wasn't allowed until the second generation for the reasons that Deklitch and Pam mentioned, in other words so that players that have expansions like World Adventures and University don't get advantages over the people that do, in other words as Deklitch said, a more even playing field. Also to make things harder when starting out as Pam mentioned. These things are what I was referring to when I posted, I guess I didn't make myself clear enough but Deklitch and Pam explained what I was trying to say.  :)

Offline ladyaya

• The Epic Panda-Cat Lover
  • Watcher
« Reply #7285 on: March 04, 2013, 02:10:54 AM »
I thought travelling wasn't allowed until the second generation for the reasons that Deklitch and Pam mentioned, in other words so that players that have expansions like World Adventures and University don't get advantages over the people that do, in other words as Deklitch said, a more even playing field. Also to make things harder when starting out as Pam mentioned. This things are what I was referring to when I posted, I guess I didn't make myself clear enough but Deklitch and Pam explained what I was trying to say.  :)

Plus there's the fact that this challenge was originally made to be base game only compatible. Everything else adds extras that don't have to be used.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #7286 on: March 04, 2013, 06:20:19 AM »
Plus there's the fact that this challenge was originally made to be base game only compatible. Everything else adds extras that don't have to be used.

Not quite.  It was made to be base game compatible so that a player could play this challenge even without any expansions added.  But expansions had already been added when the challenge was released.  We continue to make changes to the rules as each expansion comes out.

Now this brings me to the fact that discussions about anything to do with University Life have to wait until it is released. 
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
« Reply #7287 on: March 04, 2013, 08:51:04 AM »
I've had the glitch where people skill at lightning speed. Even though it was not related to anything I did, I almost feel like it's cheating and I should abandon my current attempt, or at least stop playing until the glitch is fixed and maybe go back to a save before it became a problem at that point...
Immortal Dynasty: A Bouquet of Blossoms

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #7288 on: March 04, 2013, 08:54:17 AM »
I've had the glitch where people skill at lightning speed. Even though it was not related to anything I did, I almost feel like it's cheating and I should abandon my current attempt, or at least stop playing until the glitch is fixed and maybe go back to a save before it became a problem at that point...

It's a bug with the current patch and there is no telling when it will become fixed so I wouldn't worry about it.   Maxing the skill is only one part of supermaxing.  It's almost a disadvantage since maxing too quickly can hurt your ability to get opportunities.   If you feel you need to stop playing that is your call but there is currently no indication that this will be fixed.

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
« Reply #7289 on: March 04, 2013, 09:07:39 AM »
It did make a spouse's LTW go super-quickly - he maxed painting and writing, starting from nothing, in just over a week. A lot of the skill challenges are easier with higher skill values. Making friends is faster with higher Charisma. Professions will advance faster. Rabbit hole careers will, too (although not as drastically - you're basically guaranteed to have your skill metric at a good point).

A downside: immortals learning a skill that's someone else's supermax is really, seriously playing with fire. Someone learned two, almost to three, points of cooking while making their first plate of waffles...

At any rate, if the challenge board is okay with it, I think I'll institute a policy for myself of "avoid LTWs where all you have to do is master skills", and then get on with my life (and my sims').
Immortal Dynasty: A Bouquet of Blossoms

anything