Author Topic: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge  (Read 3188401 times)

Offline Sarabi

• Townie
Re: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge
« Reply #6315 on: November 02, 2012, 01:23:29 PM »
Please forgive me if this has already been addressed - this is a very long thread, and it would take several hours to read the entire thing.

The rules state:  Before creating your new game file, you must patch up to the most current EA patch.

... and it doesn't say we need to install new patches that may be released mid-dynasty.

Personally, I would choose to play out an entire dynasty on the same game software - it just seems safer and less likely to introduce new bugs and glitches.

Is that permitted?  If not, I would encourage you to update the rules to clarify.

Thanks!

Offline Dagger

• Townie
« Reply #6316 on: November 02, 2012, 01:25:55 PM »
It would be nice to know that, because I just updated to the latest patch, and can not even start my game. I'm hoping purchasing Seasons will help.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #6317 on: November 02, 2012, 01:40:20 PM »
Actually, it's a requirement to stay on the latest patch.  The only time you're not allowed to stay on the same patch is when you get permission to not patch up due to known game breaking bugs.   This has been stated many times over the course of the 253 pages of this thread.  Since you felt it wasn't clear enough I have made sure that it is now. 

Dagger - sorry to hear about your problems.   I've heard Seasons will help and that there is a possibility of another patch between now and then or shortly after the release.    Have you posted a technical help thread about it so maybe we can see what's happening?  Do you get xpct files in your Sims 3 folder? 
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline Dagger

• Townie
« Reply #6318 on: November 02, 2012, 01:44:27 PM »
I don't know what expct files are. I'll just wait for seasons. If that doesn't do the trick then I'll uninstall/reinstall.

Offline ladyaya

• The Epic Panda-Cat Lover
  • Watcher
« Reply #6319 on: November 02, 2012, 02:44:07 PM »
Actually, it's a requirement to stay on the latest patch.  The only time you're not allowed to stay on the same patch is when you get permission to not patch up due to known game breaking bugs.   This has been stated many times over the course of the 253 pages of this thread.  Since you felt it wasn't clear enough I have made sure that it is now. 

Dagger - sorry to hear about your problems.   I've heard Seasons will help and that there is a possibility of another patch between now and then or shortly after the release.    Have you posted a technical help thread about it so maybe we can see what's happening?  Do you get xpct files in your Sims 3 folder?

What exactly are xpct files? I wasn't sure what they were so i've ignored them for now.

Offline Dagger

• Townie
« Reply #6320 on: November 02, 2012, 02:47:48 PM »
I figured out what they are. They are files that are created when your game crashes. I have used the crash log analyzer, and it comes up unknown. So I'm just going to wait until seasons comes out and see if that fixes it. I'm not running any mods so I don't know what it could be.

Offline Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Tribble is as Tribble does
« Reply #6321 on: November 02, 2012, 06:04:14 PM »
Not sure if I should mention this here, or elsewhere, but my cat has just now started refusing to fish in our private little pond. I know this cat has been able to fish successfully from it in the past. I've saved the game and logged out, and am about to log in, as it seems similar to when a sim refuses to paint a portrait of another sim to me.

I have never had a cat have the fish from pond command drop from their queue before.

Dek

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #6322 on: November 02, 2012, 06:05:41 PM »
Try a resetSim on the cat and maybe clear out those cache files next time you go to play.  (Do the cache thing while not in the game though!) Never heard of cat doing that either but I have had cats disappear on me.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Tribble is as Tribble does
« Reply #6323 on: November 02, 2012, 06:22:15 PM »
saving and restarting the game seems to have fixed the cat up, and she is fishing again.

Edit: Thanks for your suggestions as well, Ricalynn.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #6324 on: November 02, 2012, 06:29:33 PM »
I figured out what they are. They are files that are created when your game crashes. I have used the crash log analyzer, and it comes up unknown. So I'm just going to wait until seasons comes out and see if that fixes it. I'm not running any mods so I don't know what it could be.

When I just patched my dynasty file crashed every time I tried opening it. I did a factory reset, and tried a new file. It worked. I then went back to the old sims 3 file and opened a new savegame, that also stayed stable (I tuned the memory, population and moon settings in that file). Once it seemed stable e.i. letting me save/play for several days I once more tried opening my old dynasty file and it worked.

I don't know why it was suddenly working, but it's worth a shot right? I'm thinking maybe the game needed to get stabilized with all the new functions going on, and the dynasty file was just to bugged/large and had too much going on, so the game crashed.

Sorry if this is a rambling post, but I just wanted to share what ended up working for me.

Offline Dagger

• Townie
« Reply #6325 on: November 02, 2012, 08:23:48 PM »
When I just patched my dynasty file crashed every time I tried opening it. I did a factory reset, and tried a new file. It worked. I then went back to the old sims 3 file and opened a new savegame, that also stayed stable (I tuned the memory, population and moon settings in that file). Once it seemed stable e.i. letting me save/play for several days I once more tried opening my old dynasty file and it worked.

I don't know why it was suddenly working, but it's worth a shot right? I'm thinking maybe the game needed to get stabilized with all the new functions going on, and the dynasty file was just to bugged/large and had too much going on, so the game crashed.

Sorry if this is a rambling post, but I just wanted to share what ended up working for me.
Glad that worked for you. My game won't even start. I click the icon, it thinks for a second and then nothing happens. I've tried it both ways (via launcher, and launcher workaround)

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #6326 on: November 02, 2012, 08:25:55 PM »
You mean your game is crashing before the EA symbol comes up?   Mine was working great until this morning when it started doing exactly that.   And I've been patched up since day one so if it was the patch that was the problem then it would have happened before now.   When was the last time you checked your RAM or double checked all your drivers?

Offline Dagger

• Townie
« Reply #6327 on: November 02, 2012, 08:31:15 PM »
You mean your game is crashing before the EA symbol comes up?   Mine was working great until this morning when it started doing exactly that.   And I've been patched up since day one so if it was the patch that was the problem then it would have happened before now.   When was the last time you checked your RAM or double checked all your drivers?
yeah it crashes before it does anything. The reason I thought it was the patch was because it started happening the day of the patch. My RAM I have set so that it will run all 3 gigs. Drivers? I'm not sure on. The day of the Patch it was successful getting to the main menu, but then it crashed and hasn't been able to load at all.

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #6328 on: November 02, 2012, 08:33:59 PM »
I've loaded and played and now I'm crashing.  I tried reinstalling to no effect and it's continuing the issue.  I'll let you know if anything I do from here on out works.

Offline Dagger

• Townie
« Reply #6329 on: November 02, 2012, 08:37:27 PM »
I've loaded and played and now I'm crashing.  I tried reinstalling to no effect and it's continuing the issue.  I'll let you know if anything I do from here on out works.
Thanks Rica. Sorry to hear about your predicament. I appreciate the help.