Author Topic: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge  (Read 3230848 times)

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
Re: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge
« Reply #5715 on: August 31, 2012, 08:36:09 PM »
I think in terms of "fair" it doesn't matter what the requirement is as long as it's the same for everyone currently playing a Dynasty. As far as vampires and celebrities, I think they might work out to a wash - vampires limit the spouse pool but the tradeoff is that your vampire best friend isn't going to die at the last minute; celebrity damages relationships but gets you free stuff.

Honestly, I wish we could turn down the setting rather than simply turning it off - fewer vampires but not none, celebrity freebies at a lower chance but less frequent scandals, and paparazzi hanging around less than 100% of the time. Limited to an on/off switch, given my own choice I'd turn off celebrities and leave vampires alone...

(Personally, I'm not concerned about being "fair" to past HoF players who put up with vampires and paparazzi all over the place - every EP has offered new advantages, even if it's just expanding the list of lifetime rewards, skills, and careers....what an advantage the Motive Mobile offered!)
Immortal Dynasty: A Bouquet of Blossoms

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #5716 on: August 31, 2012, 09:11:38 PM »
I would like to say that being able to turn on or off the occults should be open - however(!) once you have chosen that path, you cannot alter it for the entire file.  I don't see a disadvantage or an advantage to having them on or off personally.   Everyone no matter how many expansions they have, now have this option so it's a fair playing field.   Everyone starts the same no matter.  We are all supposed to be on the latest patch.  Without this patch, you're violating the rules of the challenge.  However, if we were really going to talk about the fairness or unfairness of the occults than it would be like arguing the fairness or unfairness of someone having all the EPs versus none.   Does that make sense or is it a load of honky?

The only thing I'm against in the new patch is the gift system.   What's to stop me from asking Thomas for a car on my next dynasty start?  Yes some players choose to move in Agnes and that gives me the money but there are some people who don't play with the online friend stuff from Showtime. 
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #5717 on: August 31, 2012, 09:12:48 PM »
So in this pic it is in Default mode with Supernatural turned off right? So for the Dynasties and whatever challenges Metro see fit, that's the way it needs to look. I have no problems..

The default in that picture is that we're allowing those items to be in our game.   Celebrity is turned on and all occults are allowed free range within story progression.   You only check the ones you want to allow in your games.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

thesweetestpea

« Reply #5718 on: August 31, 2012, 09:30:41 PM »
I would like to say that being able to turn on or off the occults should be open - however(!) once you have chosen that path, you cannot alter it for the entire file.  I don't see a disadvantage or an advantage to having them on or off personally.   Everyone no matter how many expansions they have, now have this option so it's a fair playing field.   Everyone starts the same no matter.  We are all supposed to be on the latest patch.  Without this patch, you're violating the rules of the challenge.  However, if we were really going to talk about the fairness or unfairness of the occults than it would be like arguing the fairness or unfairness of someone having all the EPs versus none.   Does that make sense or is it a load of honky?

The only thing I'm against in the new patch is the gift system.   What's to stop me from asking Thomas for a car on my next dynasty start?  Yes some players choose to move in Agnes and that gives me the money but there are some people who don't play with the online friend stuff from Showtime.

That makes sense to me, Rica. I just want to clarify, would you support us being allowed to choose to keep fairies but not vampires, or is it all or nothing? I just think forcing them to all be on is going to make the challenge too hard, and I wouldn't play it if I didn't think I was going to enjoy it.

I think the gift system does skew the results. There are always other ways of making money, like the Consignment Store. I'd agree with a ban on that for dynasties and challenges.

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #5719 on: August 31, 2012, 09:39:44 PM »
Ok so the ones for Supernatural would be unchecked. My mistake, but whatever Metro rules on, I guess we have to accept it.

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #5720 on: August 31, 2012, 10:37:56 PM »
That makes sense to me, Rica. I just want to clarify, would you support us being allowed to choose to keep fairies but not vampires, or is it all or nothing? I just think forcing them to all be on is going to make the challenge too hard, and I wouldn't play it if I didn't think I was going to enjoy it.

I think the gift system does skew the results. There are always other ways of making money, like the Consignment Store. I'd agree with a ban on that for dynasties and challenges.

I say leave it open.  After today it's a personal choice to leave these things in your game but remember you can't change your mind.  Since these options are for all games under that The Sims 3 folder, it's one more thing to remember but if you're like me where you have separate folders for challenges so there are no problems with varying age settings than I'm not sure it's even that much of a deal either.

This, however, is Metro's final call.  I was just giving my opinion on why I thought it should be available as an option.   I mean I would love to be able to play a game where no one in Sunset Valley was any different than they were when I got the game 3 years ago without having to uninstall everything if I wanted it to be a challenge file.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #5721 on: August 31, 2012, 10:46:37 PM »
Posted by: samoht04
Ah okay then, will we be able to turn off the new Supernaturals though? I worry that there will be very few Sim Townies left after they are introduced and nobody has had to deal with them yet.

I'm more than happy to have some supernaturals such as Fairys and Witches for example but I don't want everyone in my town being turned into Zombies and Werewolves. (The Vampires are bad enough).

Posted by: Ricalynn

I agree with this, that would just make starting out too easy, the founder is meant to be broke and struggle at the start. I don't play online because it lags too much for me, I'm sure other people are in the same boat.

One thing I am worried about is that I hear the new patch has broken gardening.  :( This could present a huge problem for aquiring life fruit and death flowers until EA gets around to fixing it and who knows how long that will be.  :-\

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #5722 on: August 31, 2012, 10:49:10 PM »
I actually just replied to you in the other thread Rainbow Dash but I wanted to mention it here.   The problem with garden seems to be effecting primarily games that were made prior to the patch.  So if you haven't started the dynasty than it's not a problem.   However, to play a dynasty - you need to be patched up to the latest patch to be eligible for the HOF.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #5723 on: August 31, 2012, 11:05:28 PM »
@Ricalynn: I know about being patched up to the latest patch to be eligible for HOF and no I didn't see your other post so thanks for replying. Oh well something always breaks every time EA releases a new patch, hopefully any important bugs will be fixed by the time Seasons comes out, I don't plan on starting a Dynasty until after I get that anyway.

Offline ladyaya

• The Epic Panda-Cat Lover
  • Watcher
« Reply #5724 on: September 01, 2012, 12:42:37 AM »
They can undertake, but cannot max out.  They can max out the remaining 7 that aren't maxed out by immortals.

The paintings at each life stage (three life stages for the Founder) are required before eating Ambrosia.  The ice sculptures and photographs are optional, but limited to one for each of the life stages.

....Can an immortal max another skill that a previous immortal has maxed after they have eaten their ambrosia? Does it matter then?

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5725 on: September 01, 2012, 12:46:51 AM »
....Can an immortal max another skill that a previous immortal has maxed after they have eaten their ambrosia? Does it matter then?

Yes, it does matter then, but only if the skill you wish to max has been claimed as a SuperMax, as it renders the immortality invalid.

Immortal A SuperMaxes Fishing and Maxes Cooking. Immortal B SuperMaxes Handiness. Once Immortal B is immortal, they cannot max Fishing because it would render Immortal A's immortality invalid, but Immortal B can Max (not SuperMax) Cooking.

I think it should be that we can turn off life states that are banned in Dynasty Rules so that we cannot accidentally marry a Vampire, or something.

Offline ladyaya

• The Epic Panda-Cat Lover
  • Watcher
« Reply #5726 on: September 01, 2012, 01:03:16 AM »
Yes, it does matter then, but only if the skill you wish to max has been claimed as a SuperMax, as it renders the immortality invalid.

Immortal A SuperMaxes Fishing and Maxes Cooking. Immortal B SuperMaxes Handiness. Once Immortal B is immortal, they cannot max Fishing because it would render Immortal A's immortality invalid, but Immortal B can Max (not SuperMax) Cooking.

I think it should be that we can turn off life states that are banned in Dynasty Rules so that we cannot accidentally marry a Vampire, or something.

Well that sort of sucks.

And I think they're doing that in the Supernatural expansion pack, something about being able to adjust towns so you don't get a ton of the occult at once? At least, I believe that's what I heard in one of the videos I watched about it. Also, will the rules be adjusted once the Supernatural expansion actually comes out in a few days, as to what else a person can't marry, and the alchemy skill being able to be supermaxed?

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5727 on: September 01, 2012, 01:11:38 AM »
And I think they're doing that in the Supernatural expansion pack [...]

Correction: They've done that. The discussion is on the previous page of this thread, but Patch 1.38 introduces it. :)

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5728 on: September 01, 2012, 05:01:33 AM »
Can we turn off Pets and Horses because they won't have had any effect on other Dynasties and may help reduce some strain on our Dynasty games? I think people who have completed a Dynasty should also either comment or PM Metro their opinion on if it would make it easier for us or not etc.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Sunnysabjes

• Occult
  • Insanely serious or seriously insane?
    • Deviant
« Reply #5729 on: September 01, 2012, 05:03:51 AM »
I started a new dynasty in sunlit tides, with the sauna. To late I realized that the mudbath adds a day to your sims lives... (I just put the sauna in there to try for boy/girl) So most of the sims in the house hold took a mudbath and I didn't stop me... I know this means I failed, but I'd still like to continue the story and post it. Can I post it if I put with it that it won't be for the hall of fame?

anything