Author Topic: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge  (Read 3251802 times)

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
Re: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge
« Reply #3180 on: August 12, 2011, 05:31:16 PM »
I understand people wanting a FAQ because I remember when I first thought about starting a dynasty there was about 200 pages (before the forum change to 20 posts a page) of stuff that needed to be read.  After the first 20 or 30 pages I actually stopped reading the challenge thread and started reading the stories instead, if Pam or Metro or one of the other HoFers did it then it's safe.  A lot of the questions that get asked at this point are about bugs or curve balls.  The other 5% are about putting in buildings.  Basically at this point the rule should be a) you can put in bars and laundromat before you start your dynasty b) if you've already started.. don't go to edit town - period.   

I think questions will always be asked no matter how simple the rules because the people that want to do this aren't always going to be veteran players/forum readers.

I agree with Rica 100%.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Chuckles_82

« Reply #3181 on: August 12, 2011, 08:01:04 PM »
I don't so much want a FAQ for myself as to help out the people that answer our questions day in - day out, most often the same questions, and the people that ask them. Barely a 1/5 of the way through reading the thread and I've already seen so many of the same question. I intend on eventually reading it all, and thought while I'm at it, if it would be a help, I could write out a FAQ, in which I would try to take into account the different ways the same thing as been explained, and cut out all the chit chat. Of course I wouldn't publish something like that without running it by Metro first :)

So yeah. If it's something that the moderators would find a help, I'm willing to start work on a rough draft.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3182 on: August 12, 2011, 08:10:17 PM »
Basically at this point the rule should be a) you can put in bars and laundromat before you start your dynasty b) if you've already started.. don't go to edit town - period.   

I have to just add my 2 cents - I am playing in Riverview, with the 7 buildings, so if that was to become the rule, I'd be slightly, erm, annoyed, because my Dynasty would be unable to finish. It's about my 7th attempt! And I'm a lot more attached to the Bonanza's than the other people!
And, what about people unaware that Riverview has 7 buildings?

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #3183 on: August 12, 2011, 08:29:46 PM »
I think a FAQ section would be a good idea.  No matter how clear the rules are, there will always be questions.  At this point, I would never recommend that someone read through this entire thread to find an answer to a question.  It's entirely too long for that and the answers aren't always clear anyway by the time they get tossed around and people get confused.  I new player would have to just ask a question at the end of the thread to get an answer.  If we had a FAQ section, it would be so much easier for someone to find answers without reading the entire tread or asking a question that's already been answered a dozen times.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline fortheloveofcake

• Immortal
« Reply #3184 on: August 12, 2011, 09:18:36 PM »
If a FAQ for the Immortal Dynasty is going to be made I would be up for helping. I've yet to get very far in a Dynasty attempt but I have a fairly good grasp of the rules (I think??) and going through this thread page by page would definitely help me learn them inside and out while at the same time helping out countless other players.

When you live, live with your soul, not with your time.
When you love, love with your heart, not with your mind.
When you want to be something, the world can't define, open up your eyes.

Offline Serena Darrin

• Immortal
  • Back to School
« Reply #3185 on: August 12, 2011, 10:00:35 PM »
I'd like an FAQ as well, if nobody minds.  

I started my dynasty before I'd read through the entire thread, and found out a bit later that I'd done some things I wasn't supposed to (one of my earlier attempts I scratched because I thought that it was portrait, photograph, -or- ice sculpture, not portrait -plus- photo or sculpture).  

And this time around I made my own custom bars in Sunset Valley instead of just using the LN lots, before I realized that was a no-no.

It's not a huge deal for me because I'm not going for Hall of Fame, (as in this case I don't like the LN lots in Sunset Valley and I'm happy with what I built) but I can just imagine someone who starts intending for the HoF, and then finds out later on that they've done something they're not supposed to.

I'm thinking just take all the questions from this thread and post their answers in an FAQ, and update it as new questions come in. It will (hopefully) keep the number of repeated questions here to a minimum, but still leave a spot on this thread for players to ask new questions, permissions for cheats, discussions of strategy, etc.

And I'm not just thinking an FAQ strictly for the Dynasty rules, it could also cover stuff like:
- Inventing is bugged in Bridegport, so don't try to supermax Inventing there
- the Nectar Making challenge that's bugged (was that fixed in a patch?) and how to get around it;
- that Barnacle Bay has no money trees, so the Gardener career is a lot harder

and stuff like that, so that Dynasty players can know some of this information to choose a town they like and plan accordingly.

I can only imagine how frustrating it would be for a player who didn't know you couldn't build a Simbot in Bridgeport to spend all that time on Inventing only to be unable to complete it because it's completely impossible.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.  If people decide we want an FAQ, then I'm quite willing to help. My last exam is tomorrow, and then I'll have month's free time. :D

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3186 on: August 13, 2011, 01:28:14 AM »
If you need a helping hand for the FAQ, my door is always open. Unless it's closed for maintenance. :P

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3187 on: August 13, 2011, 10:15:09 AM »
I agree that a FAQ would be a great idea.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline Xanatos

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3188 on: August 13, 2011, 02:24:53 PM »
I am a registered newbie, but have been reading the forum for some time now. I love this challenge and will be starting my own in 3 days, but I am working on the plan now as I haven't left for my trip yet. 

Offline TallStar

• Immortal
« Reply #3189 on: August 13, 2011, 02:28:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum Xanatos!

Offline Margerita

• Immortal
« Reply #3190 on: August 13, 2011, 02:33:41 PM »
Welcome to the forum Xanatos!

Be sure to check out the last few pages of this thread since someone recently asked for tips, you will probably find a some useful things from what was posted, checking out the Supermax thread that was linked can also help.

Offline Xanatos

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3191 on: August 13, 2011, 06:18:25 PM »
Wow ! Thanks so much for the big welcome to the forum. I have my plan all figured out and will post it if someone will be willing to double check it. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3192 on: August 13, 2011, 06:25:49 PM »
Wow ! Thanks so much for the big welcome to the forum. I have my plan all figured out and will post it if someone will be willing to double check it. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Welcome and good luck with your dynasty. You will be sure to get all the help you can handle here.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline Xanatos

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3193 on: August 13, 2011, 07:01:54 PM »
Alright here is my plan.  
Generation one  
LTW culinary librarian  
Career gardener or science, help please  
Supermax skill gardening  

Generation two  
LTW visionary or renaissance  sim, help please  
Career scuptor
Supermax skill sculpting

Generation 3
LTW martial arts master  
Career athletics  
Supermax skill martial arts  

Generation four
LTW monster maker  
Career inventor  
Supermax skill inventing  

Generation five  
LTW bottom less nectar cellar  
Career politicts  
Supermax skill nectar making  

Generation 6  
LTW Professional author  
Career journalism  
Supermax skill writing

Generation 7  
LTW presenting the perfect aquarium  
Career fisherwoman or science, help please  
Supermax skill fishing  

Generation 8  
LTW world renown surgeon  
Career Medical  
Super max skill logic  

This leaves handiness, charisma, cooking, guitar, athletics, photography, and painting open for all.  
Note generation 2 will also max photography and painting so that is where I get visionary and renaissance  sim from. Thanks so much.

Offline Xanatos

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3194 on: August 13, 2011, 07:05:33 PM »
Thanks for the tip margertia you don't happen to know what forum those tips where on was do you. It is such a pain to go back and look though I tried. :)