Author Topic: Forum Tidiness  (Read 22538 times)

Offline The Illuminator

• Occult
  • Illumination now with energy saving light bulbs!
Re: Forum Tidiness
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2010, 05:22:53 AM »
Leto and I are both learning Spanish. I'm going to Valencia next month to improve my Spanish. I live only 150 kilometres from the French border, so many people here speak French. The German border is also quite close, so many people speak German too.
In the Netherlands it is mandatory for schools to teach the English language and I would be surprised to find a Dutch man who doesn't speak English.
I also learned Latin and Greek but I cannot really speak those!

Don't worry, NeoFelis; in Europe the borders are very close to each other so people just have to learn other languages. 
Le mot impossible n'est pas Francais

The word "impossible" is not French

- Napoleon Bonaparte -

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2010, 06:36:58 AM »
I'm very proud of all of our polyglots (even though I had to look up the meaning), but we need to get back on topic.  You're welcome to continue this conversation on the Babble Thread, if you wish.  :)
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline NeoFelis

• Occult
  • Must play Sims!
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2010, 07:46:16 PM »
I'm very proud of all of our polyglots (even though I had to look up the meaning), but we need to get back on topic.  You're welcome to continue this conversation on the Babble Thread, if you wish.  :)

Sorry about that, particularly when what I got excited over has been right in front of my face all this time!

___________________________________________________________________________________________
"Tomorrow's just your future yesterday." Craig Ferguson, Late Late Show theme song.

Offline NeoFelis

• Occult
  • Must play Sims!
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 01:58:03 PM »
Hey, everybody! We have spellcheck now! :Acts like a Sim watching another Sim age up: Hurray!

___________________________________________________________________________________________
"Tomorrow's just your future yesterday." Craig Ferguson, Late Late Show theme song.

Leto85

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2010, 05:25:11 PM »
Hey, everybody! We have spellcheck now! :Acts like a Sim watching another Sim age up: Hurray!

Really? Where? Ah, never mind! It was right under my nose. Very practical indeed!

Offline simdancer

• Nooboo
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2011, 09:52:20 PM »
My rule of thumb for posting on forums is to write as though I am e-mailing a teacher or colleague. That way I make sure to write in a mature way (i.e. no extreme spelling or grammatical issues) and in a way that is "easy on the eyes."

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2011, 10:15:11 PM »
My rule of thumb for posting on forums is to write as though I am e-mailing a teacher or colleague. That way I make sure to write in a mature way (i.e. no extreme spelling or grammatical issues) and in a way that is "easy on the eyes."

Welcome to our Forum, Simdancer.  That's an excellent strategy to use.  :)

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

thesweetestpea

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2011, 07:12:23 AM »
My spelling and grammar are pretty good, but if I write sentences that you can't understand, please feel free to point it out or change it as you see fit, moderators. It's a combination of medical issues that give me trouble thinking and growing up speaking dialectical English.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2011, 10:13:09 PM »
I'd like to take a moment to remind everyone of Forum tidiness.  It's important that posts on the Forum have some value, so please refrain from posting anything that doesn't significantly contribute to a thread (this includes stories).  Also, remember to limit use of smilies.  One or two per post are plenty.  More than that makes it start to look unprofessional and untidy.  As always, grammar and punctuation are critical, but these other things are also important.  Thanks very much.  :)

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline RubyLovesSims

• Watcher
  • Edith Appleby
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 10:59:04 PM »
I'd like to take a moment to remind everyone of Forum tidiness.  It's important that posts on the Forum have some value, so please refrain from posting anything that doesn't significantly contribute to a thread (this includes stories).  Also, remember to limit use of smilies.  One or two per post are plenty.  More than that makes it start to look unprofessional and untidy.  As always, grammar and punctuation are critical, but these other things are also important.  Thanks very much.  :)
Okay, Pam. Thanks for the note.
I'll keep that in mind :)
Introducing... The Tunics
Sadly, no longer. Please see the link.

New! The {Appleby} Legacy

Offline KJSinclair

• Townie
  • I may have a sharp tongue but I have a soft heart
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2011, 11:15:31 PM »
I thought about this a little the other day when I was searching for a question that must have been asked once before but for the life of me I was unable to find it in the forum. I do try to search before I post a new topic as I am sure the majority of members here do to. However, there are people out there was are very new to the game and some of the early questions were asked and answered a year ago buried somewhere deep in the forum.

I think it would be very helpful to create a 'Frequently Asked Questions', 'Common Issues' and 'Common Fixes'. Each child board has sticky topics at the top but I believe that it's the technical help board that almost the entire first page is now 'stickies' and a Child Board for all the 'common' things could be easily found, that way if a new member has a question like 'My sim is stuck help!' then they would logically be more likely to check that board than to create an entirely new topic.

I mean the three that I highlighted do not necessarily have to be separate child boards, but a central location would help to keep the boards tidy in my humble opinion.

:) KJ :)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes we have to wait a long time for the reason to become clear.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2011, 12:00:58 AM »
I thought about this a little the other day when I was searching for a question that must have been asked once before but for the life of me I was unable to find it in the forum. I do try to search before I post a new topic as I am sure the majority of members here do to. However, there are people out there was are very new to the game and some of the early questions were asked and answered a year ago buried somewhere deep in the forum.

I think it would be very helpful to create a 'Frequently Asked Questions', 'Common Issues' and 'Common Fixes'. Each child board has sticky topics at the top but I believe that it's the technical help board that almost the entire first page is now 'stickies' and a Child Board for all the 'common' things could be easily found, that way if a new member has a question like 'My sim is stuck help!' then they would logically be more likely to check that board than to create an entirely new topic.

I mean the three that I highlighted do not necessarily have to be separate child boards, but a central location would help to keep the boards tidy in my humble opinion.

:) KJ :)

I would hope that the majority of non-technical common issues would be covered in Carl's Sims 3 Guide.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline KJSinclair

• Townie
  • I may have a sharp tongue but I have a soft heart
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2011, 01:04:28 AM »
I agree that maybe they are covered in the guide, however when ones game is glitchy or acting all kinds of odd, the first place people come for advice would be the forum. I guess it should be common questions, like 'Where do I find xxx?' or 'How do I xxx?'.

It really was just meant to be a helpful suggestion and not in any way intended to hmmm offend or imply anything. If it came across as anything other than that, which I get the impression that it did, then I am truly sorry.

KJ
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes we have to wait a long time for the reason to become clear.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2011, 02:12:30 AM »
No offense at all.  I just wanted to point out that we do have the Guide in case there are folks who have only found the Forum.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2011, 03:12:45 AM »
I have a question regarding the use of smileys. Does a smiley in the quote count as one of the two-three allowed? So that, for example, a person quotes a post that has two smileys, can he/she add another smiley in that post or will it be too much? Thank you.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

anything