Author Topic: Sites for building plans and inspiration  (Read 252047 times)

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Sites for building plans and inspiration
« on: August 05, 2010, 08:11:53 PM »
I hope this is OK to put these links here, if not please remove the thread.

I thought it would be good to have a few links all in one thread for builders to use for ideas and inspiration.

This is a site found by Ariagirl and explains home styles
http://architecture.about.com/od/housestyles/tp/housestylesindex.htm

These are a few sites with house plans that I use. They all have a search feature that allows you to choose things like how many bedrooms or bathrooms. Of course not all house plans can be simmed but they are often good just for basic ideas.
http://www.houseplans.com/
http://www.globalhouseplans.com/index.asp
http://www.dreamhomesource.com/

Norma
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline AriaGirl77

• Watcher
Re: Sites for building plans and inspiration
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 08:22:37 PM »
Thanks for posting this, Norma!  It's a great idea.

I really love the Dream Home Source site that you listed, it's actually where we found the plans for our real non-Sims house.  :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 06:03:14 AM »
Great Idea!

I got some:

It may be simple but it still can help - Google Images of Houses

This is a Building Magazines Website, they may have more apartements and offices style stuff but that doesn't mean you can't use the designs - Building.co.uk

I think Google Images is the best one, you can find 'Modern Homes' and 'Classic Homes', 'Family Homes' and even 'Wacky Homes'
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 08:03:06 AM »
Here is a guide for the symbols used in house plans, just so you can tell what that square is.
This link was provided by Archer0 in another thread, but I thought I'd repost it with all these links.

http://www.the-house-plans-guide.com/images/blueprint-symbols.gif
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 07:06:49 PM »
This is a great idea. I love to look at house plans. I have even drew quite a few of my own. I used to have a computer program that I used alot and I loved it but it got lost so eventually I will get a new one as drawing home plans is a passion of mine. The irony of it is I can't build in the Sims at all. I am horrible at it and when I only a lot to build I draw a blank and just end up with a big box. LOL But one places I liked was www.eplans.com unfortunately I can't remember any of the others but if I do I will be back to post more. Ohh I also like to look at local builders in the area. They usually have more Simable houses.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 07:33:47 PM »
I recently found this list of sites.
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Offline kiko94

• Immortal
  • you pronounce it *keko* not *kIko*
My Blog For Sims 3 Buildings, visit for exclusive content -07/11 update : New Houses and community lots, don't miss them !!

-The Awkward moment whe you are viewing who's online, and you find somone looking at your profile...

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Castaras

• Stark Raving Bonkers
  • Townie
  • mew mew
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 10:47:06 AM »
Bit of necromancy here on this thread, but I recently found http://www.xplans.co.uk/ . While as a site it looks awful, the plans it has are probably the easiest to understand I've found yet, and also work really well for making smaller sized houses (my preferred building size is anything 30x30 and lower). It has views from the front, sides and back as well as the floorplans.

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
Sites for building plans and inspiration
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 11:51:21 AM »
Bit of necromancy here on this thread, but I recently found http://www.xplans.co.uk/ . While as a site it looks awful, the plans it has are probably the easiest to understand I've found yet, and also work really well for making smaller sized houses (my preferred building size is anything 30x30 and lower). It has views from the front, sides and back as well as the floorplans.

Thank you so much! These are great plans and I've already printed out a few ;)

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 12:44:26 PM »
The floorplans from Build Now New Orleans are very nice smaller homes - I think the biggest one had a footprint of about 15x15. I'm using one of their larger floorplans in a game I'm playing right now, and it's working very nicely for my sims. You're also not limited to their (fairly bland) rooflines.

I've also built a lot of houses out of "Craftsman Homes" and "More Craftsman Homes", by Gustav Stickley - look for them on Google Books. I'd build even more of them if I had the knack of building complicated staircases.
Immortal Dynasty: A Bouquet of Blossoms

Offline DeSsYt0

• Nooboo
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 02:54:13 PM »
Very nice plans. Actually I liked most the dream home site. I just adore this house: http://www.dreamhomesource.com/house-plans/dhs/dhsw67657.html?from=search.
The best is that you can choose how many bedrooms, bathrooms or garages you want in your house, what type of the house you want.. that quick search makes the site
amazing for me. I always can search my dream home plan there. :) Thank you!

Offline Susinok

• Townie
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 02:54:17 PM »
One site I really like it Houzz.com.

http://www.houzz.com/

If you sign up for the mailing list you get an email magazine once a week, and it has feature articles on architecture and interior design.

I'm a good builder, but my furnishing skills lack imagination. This gives me good ideas.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 09:36:46 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place or even if I'm allowed to mention it, though I haven't seen anything in the rules that says I can't.  But for those with a tablet or smartphone, there are free apps you can get.  One of them is actually a place with house plans to peruse, the other is one that you can create your own house plans.  If anyone is interested, I can either PM you or if it is permitted I can give the names in the topic.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 05:52:25 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place or even if I'm allowed to mention it, though I haven't seen anything in the rules that says I can't.  But for those with a tablet or smartphone, there are free apps you can get.  One of them is actually a place with house plans to peruse, the other is one that you can create your own house plans.  If anyone is interested, I can either PM you or if it is permitted I can give the names in the topic.

Sure, go ahead and share them.  :)
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 10:10:52 AM »
Now, I have an Android phone/tablet, but I imagine that Apple also has something similar.  The one is called 'Floor Plan Creator' and of course, that's the one that you can plan your own houses out.  The other one is simply called 'House Plans' which has a good listing of plans.  I believe you can even save them as well by signing up with an email.