Author Topic: Confused about additional home  (Read 87905 times)

Offline Darstan64

• Townie
Confused about additional home
« on: June 29, 2013, 05:46:28 PM »
Hi,
I had 3 sims living together in a small house.  The mother passed away and I wanted to move out the son to have his own life and leave his father and the option came up to purchase additional home so I chose that.  Now the funds went down quite a bit and I don't know how to access this "new home" so that the son can move in.  He has a girlfriend and I want to continue the story with him moving in his girlfriend eventually getting married and so on.  I know this is something new with the update so I just want to know the steps to actually move into this additional home.

Anyone know anything about that?  I hope I didn't do anything wrong.  Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Offline Wai

• Immortal
Re: Confused about additional home?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 06:36:58 PM »
Your first home will be the base home and your sims will go there automatically if left to their own devises.

However, if you micro-manage your sims, what you propose will definately be possible.  The door locking option may be useful here too to force your sims to use allocated bedrooms on different lots.  I have not done this in sims3, but, I used to put two doors into shared bedrooms (sims 2) so that I could assign "allow me only" for each of the couple.  Place them side by side so that they appear to be a double door.

When playing two, or more, lots, you can still use the "home" icon on the control panal for the primary lot, but you need to go to map view to locate other lots, then zoom into the lot and you can play it normally, or build/buy, as you wish.  I should think that the family limit for one lot will still apply no matter how many lots you own.  My guess is that having adjacent lots would be fairly easy to manage as you will be able to see the second lot from your primary lot and therefore move to it without zooming in and out of map view.  Good luck.
“In this world, there is nothing softer or thinner than water. But to compel the hard and unyielding, it has no equal. That the weak overcomes the strong, that the hard gives way to the gentle -- this everyone knows. Yet no one asks accordingly.”
 Lao-Tse

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 11:37:07 PM »
You can move to the new home by selecting the lot in map view and saying "move to this location" or something along those lines.  However, this will move the father, too.  If you want to  keep control of him you can but if you wanted to let him live his life and just follow the son, you can do that too by selling the new home then having the son use his phone or computer to "move within this neighborhood" then he can repurchase the new home and move into it all by himself.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline Darstan64

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 04:31:05 PM »
Thank you Wai and Ricalynn for your help.  Yes I understand now that by going into map view I can see the homes that were purchased and then I have an option to buy them or visit them, etc. 

It seems a little more difficult to "move" now with the new update but I think I figured it out :) At first the father followed the son into his new home.  I didn't want that and couldn't figure out how to leave the father living alone in the old house so I moved him into another home with another sim.  Maybe now I can figure out how to move him back to his old house so he can live alone and just have the son live his own life now in the new home.

Thanks again :)

Dellena

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 06:30:56 AM »
The son probably owns both properties now, yes?  Have the son sell the house that you want the dad to live in.  Then move the dad into that house and he'll live his life like any NPC.

With additional properties, one is always designated as "home" for the entire family.  Can't change that.  Mail and newspaper delivery are effected by this.  However, you still have access to the properties just like you lived there.  Just keep in mind that if you tell your sim to "Go Home", they will go to the primary property.

Now if you wanted, for example, to still play the dad in the household, you could still do that and have him 'live' at the non-primary property.  Just don't tell him to "Go Home" and use the Set Bed Ownership on his bed at the old house.  You could also use the new locking functionality on doors to exclude the dad from access to the outer doors on the primary property to give the son and his family their privacy.

Some people are coming up with cool ideas on how to use the additional properties.  I saw someone say they were going to try buying an additional property and turn on the roommates on that property to fill it and then, basically, collect rent as a money making scheme.  I'll be curious to see how that turns out.

For myself, I love doing a horse ranch but have always been a bit limited on how big I could go because of space.  Not anymore.  I can have multiple large properties for spacious grazing, a separate property for training facilities and I'm considering a separate property for pregnant and nursing mares.  I'm still in the planning stages in my head and looking for the right town to do it in.

Let us know how it turns out with the dad. :)

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 07:19:15 AM »
I noticed at my sims primary residence, there was someone living there.  I didn't even realize they were a roommate, until the rent came.  I do know, you can't sell your primary residence, I tried that.  My sim's have two homes and a houseboat.  I think it is pretty neat they can own more than one home. :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Darstan64

• Townie
Re: Confused about additional home
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 08:17:25 AM »
Thanks Dellena and Saltypaws.

It was confusing at first but it is a nice feature now with the new update with the additional homes.  I still have the father living at another residence with another sim.  I did have the son invite him over to his new house and meet his girlfriend which I hope to be soon to be wife and he gave his "blessing" for them to have a good life together and to get married which is great.  But when the girlfriend invited her father over there was no option for that, all they did was yell and get angry at each other.  I guess because she has the hot headed trait and her father probably might too.

I haven't checked on the other additional home that I see in map view.  In fact Saltypaws now that you mentioned it I might have rent coming in too and not know it like you said with my primary original residence.  I do see money coming in sometimes on my screen and I was wondering where that came from.  I'll have to check on that when I get a moment, thank you  Haven't had a chance, going away for a few days for the 4th.  Hope everyone here has a fun and safe 4th of July :) Enjoy!

Thanks everyone for all your help and tips. :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

anything