Author Topic: Help With Terrain?  (Read 9455 times)

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
Help With Terrain?
« on: August 02, 2010, 04:00:20 PM »
I want to move the large dump lot to Sunset Valley, and I found a nice location for the lot. Sunset Valley is full of gently rolling hills, so it's hard to place a flat lot there.

Here's the original lot:

Here's the dump placed there:

And here's the best I could do to give sims access:

The lower opening in the fence is the only place it comes close to the street elevation for access. How can I avoid the sheared edges? I've tried to raise the elevation around the edges, but it comes out sloppy and gray. Should I have prepared the lot before placing the dump? How can I go about making this blend in better?

I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: Help With Terrain?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 05:05:25 PM »
I ran into the very same problem when I tried to move any of the new Ambitions lots around Sunset Valley.  I came to the conclusion that the reason EA placed them where they did is because those are the flattest lots in Sunset Valley.  It seems to me that we'd need the ability to change the terrain on the lots adjacent to the target lot to make the edges smooth and flat.  It may be possible by using Edit Town and changing the slope of the adjacent lots so that they are flat on the side that touches the target lot, but I don't know enough about all of that to say for sure.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 05:26:25 PM »
I was wondering the same thing, regarding access to neighboring lots for smoothing. I'm not going to use the 3rd photo's configuration. The second one still gives access without the extreme edges, but if there's a way to make it nicer, I'd love to know about it.
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 06:07:04 AM »
What if you placed a lot that is bigger than the junkyard, then while it is empty, smooth the terrain around the edges to match the neighboring lots, then place the junkyard?
Norma
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 02:37:53 PM »
Is there a lot bigger than 64x64? That's the size lot I created for placement of the 60x60 junkyard.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 07:29:13 PM »
Oh, probably not lol. I wasn't thinking straight about sizes. Well it was a good idea in theory  ;D

Norma
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 05:10:29 PM »
You know the thing where folks were building houses on slopes?  They put foundations in part of it.  I wonder if you could do that to "level" out some of the land?  Not sure it would work for something like the junkyard, (I haven't been able to find a 60X60 junkyard!), but it might be worth a try.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 07:51:55 PM »
It's the Bayless junkyard from Twinbrook.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 03:48:16 PM »
I'll try your suggestion, thank you!

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 06:24:56 PM »
I might be doing it wrong, but it didn't work for me. Once I designated the lot type, I did testingcheatsenabled true, then ConstrainFloorElevation false, then placed the Bayless Junkyard onto the lot. The configuration was the same as in the second photo. For the heck of it, I entered buy/build mode at that point and tried it from there, but the lot didn't change. If there's another way to do it, I'd be happy to try.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 05:11:48 PM »
I've been using the terrain tool a lot.  I do get the ugly sheared cliff effect but I just disguise it, or hide it, with vegetation.  Here is what I'm playing with in Twinbrook near the amphitheater.

The above image shows trees placed halfway up the cliff.  To further hide the cliff I'll move trees down under the highest one and then shrubs in front of that.  The trees shown are just temporary to give you an idea of what I mean.  I normally would have the entire thing hidden by vegetation.

The stairs go from the higher level to mid-level to ground level.  Sims can easily access the highest levels this way but it took a lot of finagling to get the first level of stairs accessible.  I had to start to flatten out the top first, then add stairs, then back to terrain tool, then stairs, back and forth with trial and error till I got it so ground level met smoothly and could be accessible to Sims.  I'd probably pull back the ground to the left making it a parking lot.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 05:54:06 PM »
Great suggestions! You're a lot more skilled and ambitious than I am.