Author Topic: The Sims 4 Official Information  (Read 127947 times)

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
Re: The Sims 4 Discussion Thread
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2013, 02:40:53 AM »
The hair on the sims especially looks cartoony - much less lifelike than what we have in sims 3.

I really hope they add features rather than take them away. But it's early days.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2013, 03:06:09 AM »
The hair on the sims especially looks cartoony - much less lifelike than what we have in sims 3.

I really hope they add features rather than take them away. But it's early days.

I still don't get the cartoony thing.  How does the hair in Sims 3 look more lifelike?
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Turoskel

• Watcher
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2013, 03:13:12 AM »
According to the simmers actually at gamescom who asked the gurus about these things create-a-style is not in this current build but is still under discussion, well a lot of people want it and have started saying so on the official forum and the new sims 4 one, if they truly are listening I think there is still hope for it. I'd miss it dreadfullly.

But in saying that I quite like the new CAS UI, the little swatches to me are a little like the presets we have now, I don't mind that if I can also alter it myself as well as pick one ready made.

I hope this is okay to post here Pam, it's more pictures of the new CAS from the Sim supply, one of the simmers at gamescom, so these are genuine.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151796354579547&type=3&l=276736939a

To me it becomes clear this is pre alpha by the tiny amount of items in there at the moment just enough for them to be able to dress a few sims. Hope we get to see more in the live broadcast today, and more life stages too, if we can adjust everything maybe we wont have saggy hunch backed elders anymore, that would be great  :D

I still don't get the cartoony thing.  How does the hair in Sims 3 look more lifelike?

I think it's the lack of texture Pam, the sims 3 hair texture has strands to it and alpha'd ends to make them wispy more like real hair, at present this hair is a solid model with very little definition, some of the styles are not too bad it's the texture that makes it look more anime/cartoony to me, a different texture could change how it looks drastically I feel.

On the plus side they have physiqued it to the body so when they turn there head, bend over or whatever it will move fluidily with their motions instead of like now when you use the longest hair in sims 3 it pokes through their chest.

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2013, 03:46:35 AM »
Thanks for those pictures Turoskel. It looks like you can add a hat to a hairstyle without choosing a completely different hairstyle! Oh I hope so!

Offline KJSinclair

• Townie
  • I may have a sharp tongue but I have a soft heart
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2013, 03:48:09 AM »
I think we have to remember that this is just enough to get people excited and buzzing, it's not finished yet and they will tease us with tidbits for the next few months and hold some stuff back until the actual launch.

For me, everything I have seen is exciting, it can't possibly have everything I want because if it did no computer would be able to handle it lol

I prefer it when the Sims don't look realistic, I mean it's hard to kill a sim that looks like a human, that's creepy and weird. I like it when they're awkward and I am looking forward to playing with their emotions on a real level.

This is different and I like that because I already have Sims 3 and I don't want Sims 4 to be a complete re-hash or it wouldn't be worth buying!

KJ
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes we have to wait a long time for the reason to become clear.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2013, 04:05:58 AM »
According to the simmers actually at gamescom who asked the gurus about these things create-a-style is not in this current build but is still under discussion, well a lot of people want it and have started saying so on the official forum and the new sims 4 one, if they truly are listening I think there is still hope for it. I'd miss it dreadfullly.

Can you provide a link for that, Turoskel?  We don't want to pass on information without linking to the source because then it becomes rumor.

I think it's the lack of texture Pam, the sims 3 hair texture has strands to it and alpha'd ends to make them wispy more like real hair, at present this hair is a solid model with very little definition, some of the styles are not too bad it's the texture that makes it look more anime/cartoony to me, a different texture could change how it looks drastically I feel.

Thank you.  That helps me understand.  :)

I think we have to remember that this is just enough to get people excited and buzzing, it's not finished yet and they will tease us with tidbits for the next few months and hold some stuff back until the actual launch.

This is different and I like that because I already have Sims 3 and I don't want Sims 4 to be a complete re-hash or it wouldn't be worth buying!

Yes, this!  This is just the tip of the iceberg.  Everyone remember that we have at least four or five months until release, maybe more.  We will learn much much more during that time.  Right now, they're just giving us a glimpse of the game because we all want to know what the Sims will look like.  It's really not fair to judge it at this point, no matter what we've seen.

And, yes, also that this is Sims 4, not Sims 3.  It's a whole new and different game.  We're not here to debate about the two games or to spend endless time comparing them.  Remember, this Sims 4 thread is for new information that we're learning as Electronic Arts feeds it to us one spoon at a time.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Turoskel

• Watcher
« Reply #126 on: August 22, 2013, 04:18:56 AM »
This is the link to the sims camp twitter feeds I've been reading, they do seem to be having a lot of fun.

https://twitter.com/_worldsims/lists/simscamp

The create a style info was tweeted by a few of them but this is Sims VIP's tweet.

https://twitter.com/SimsVIP/status/370113757751832576

Today they look at build mode and animations.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #127 on: August 22, 2013, 04:22:02 AM »
Excellent!  Thank you, Turoskel.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2013, 04:33:23 AM »
To me why the sims look  more cartoony is that they look very similar to pixars toystory characters or the characters in that Disney Rapunzel movie.

Of course there is a lot of things they will tease us with, but I think we as a community need to be active and vocal about things so that we can influence EA's moves, in the create-a-style area in particular. I would personally feel that it would be a huge step backwards if we went from total costumization to only being allowed color swatches.

On the other hand, maybe this simplification will improve rendering times and that in turn will improve gameplay. I don't know enough about computer specs to make a call on that one.

I feel it is hard to discuss this without becoming repetitive or to speculate. I think you will probably have to lock this thread sooner of later, because we are all so excited that we might have out fingers run away with us. ::)

Offline Turoskel

• Watcher
« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2013, 04:38:36 AM »
Very true Saltpastillen, but at least when the sims camp simmers get home and start to relay what they learnt we will have a little more solid info and of course today is the live broadcast.

Perhaps it's not in CAS yet but is in build mode? we might find out later on.

EDIT: Or maybe not, just checked the twitter feed they are under an embargo today, but maybe that's because they are showing it live later? could be I guess, anyway enough speculation I'll just wait till the broadcast.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2013, 04:44:19 AM »
Very true Saltpastillen, but at least when the sims camp simmers get home and start to relay what they learnt we will have a little more solid info and of course today is the live broadcast.

Perhaps it's not in CAS yet but is in build mode? we might find out later on.

I agree, and I am hopeful that we will get at least some kind of customization in base game.

I guess it's just hard going from TS3 with all the goodies to TS4 with nothing but base game. I think that we sometimes forget how bare bone the TS# base game really was - I know I do.

Also, considereing that the price of TS4 will be over §100 for us in Sweden I really want to get the good stuff if I'm going to get it.

Offline Turoskel

• Watcher
« Reply #131 on: August 22, 2013, 06:42:34 AM »
I am going to be busy when gamescom shows sims 4 will there be a reply later on?

Link to press conference replay, sims 4 is near the start about 4 minutes in.
http://live-event.ea.com/gamescom/

It isn't much different info wise to just watching the two trailers mind you.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #132 on: August 22, 2013, 08:03:24 AM »
I think jen2912 meant today's live broadcast; in any case there will be a replay later.

As for the appearance of the Sims 4, I actually like the way they look. I didn't care much for Sims 2, until I started playing, and ditto for Sims 3. So I think that those of us who get the Sims 4 will probably get used to them.

I'm concerned about the emotions -- on the one hand, it sounds cool that they'll have emotions; on the other, it sounds like it may make gameplay difficult. Also, I've liked being able to attribute emotions to my sims when writing stories, and that will change with Sims 4. But we'll get a chance to test working with emotions with the Plumbots, and I am looking forward to that (I love the idea of over-emotional robots).

Something to keep in mind is that we'll be going from a fully developed Sims 3 to a basic Sims 4. They won't be able to pack everything into the base game, so it will seem a bit thin at first. I expect that I'll be going back and forth between the two for at least another year after the Sims 4 comes out -- I'll play around with Sims 4 and use Sims 3 for stories.

When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Lysita

• Townie
« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2013, 08:16:52 AM »
There is going to be some sims 4 stuff shown today, 4pm GMT.

Offline YZJay

• Occult
« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2013, 11:49:37 AM »
After watching the broadcast, I'm confident that CAS in The Sims 4 is a huge leap forward for the series, but I hope the new CAS won't be the brightest spot in this game.