Author Topic: The Lady of the Lake: Epilogue (Completed)  (Read 71885 times)

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 13 - Le Morte d'Arthur
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2013, 11:48:13 AM »
Wow. As others have said, that final screenshot is amazing. I have an inkling as to how you might have done it (I'm guessing it involves pose player and OMSP) but the end result was just stunning.

Sir Bors is troubled by Lady Valerie in ways that he cannot describe. Perhaps he is inadvertently falling in love with her and just doesn't realize it yet...? ;)

Offline ilovethesims

• Townie
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 13 - Le Morte d'Arthur
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2013, 04:27:25 AM »
Wow! How did you manage to get the hand and the sword in the water? Great update by the way.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 14 - The Mists of Avalon
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2013, 08:34:44 AM »
Lady of the Lake:  Chapter 14 – The Mists of Avalon

Excalibur had been returned to its maker.  Sir Bors knew this could mean only one thing: King Arthur lay dying or was already dead.

A dense mist rose around the lake.  Sir Bors watched in dread as the Ladies of the Lake including Lady Valerie and Morgan le Fay, all dressed in golden robes, walked into the misty waters and disappeared from view. 

Quickly the mists grew denser obliterating his vision of the entire lake, but Sir Bors’ kept his gaze fixed on where the women had disappeared from view.  Eventually they returned carrying a prone figure.  They stripped him of his armour and bathed his wounds.  Lady Valerie and Morgan le Fay wept as they could do no more for their beloved brother and King.

Sir Bors hurried over to that side of the lake fearing the worst.  He arrived to find the prone figure of King Arthur.  Sir Bors approached and saw that the King breathed still, although shallow and obviously painful.  As Sir Bors knelt and prayed silently for the soul of his beloved king, Arthur opened his eyes and spoke with ragged breath.  “Sir Bors, you must hold to your promise to protect and train the young Galahad when he returns.  Swear that you will take care of my sister as she fulfils her part in this, Camelot’s last quest.”

“My King, as you bid, so shall it be.  I swear to protect and serve Lady Valerie and Galahad in Camelot’s final quest.”

“Thank you Sir Bors.  I may now rest in peace.”  King Arthur closed his eyes and appeared to sleep but presently his ragged breathing stopped.  Those were the last words King Arthur spoke.  Sir Bors joined the Ladies of the Lake as they mourned their fallen king. 

Then they picked up the fallen king and carried him back into the misty waters of the lake.  The mists swirled densely around the waters until Sir Bors could see nothing at all.  So intent was his gaze on the lake that he didn’t notice the slowly darkening night or Merlin’s ghost appear beside him.

“Fear not Sir Bors,” said the ghost of Merlin.  “The Ladies of the Lake are water sprites.”

“But where do they take the King? And what happens now?”

“They take Arthur Pendragon to his final rest, where he can never be disturbed.  The castle at Camelot burns and the Round Table has been destroyed.  King Arthur leaves his crown and his lands to his cousin Constantine, as all of Arthur’s sons have passed.”

“And what of my son, Sir Elyan the White, and my cousin, Sir Lancelot?  Do they live still?”

“Yes, they do.  As with all the remaining knights, as there is no longer one strong kingdom in England, they will return to their own lands.  The oaths you swore at the Round Table are not voided until Pentecost Sunday and your oath to King Arthur to protect and serve the future Galahad will stand for as long as you live.  I urge you and Lady Valerie to travel northeast as soon as possible.”

“I assumed Lady Valerie and I would have to remain here on Avalon.”

“Before much longer, England will be besieged by the armies of Anglia, Saxony and Jutland.  And without the Knights of the Round Table and Morgan le Fay to protect the hidden valley, Avalon will fall in time.”

“But if I trained more knights to protect Avalon, could it not survive?”

“Avalon does not have the ecosystem to support a population large enough to sustain its own border protection.  Moreover, many in its population will choose to leave.  Morgan le Fay, who has lost her only living child, Sir Ywain, in the battle of Camlann, will move on as well as the remaining Ladies of the Lake.  This island will sink into the lake from whence it came.”

“So Avalon will be lost forever too?”

“Avalon is a magical place.  When the time is right, it will return in another place and another time.”

“But would not Lady Valerie need to stay with Morgan le Fay and the other Ladies of the Lake?”

“Lady Valerie is not one of the true Ladies of the Lake.  It is time for her to find her own place and time.”

“And where exactly will that be?”

“All this will be revealed to you in time.  You have no need to return to Gaunnes, for your son will justly and fairly rule your kingdom.  You must again leave your horse here and brave the Valley of the Dragons on foot.  One league due north of the ring of megaliths, where the ancient druids worshiped, there is an ivy covered cottage with a round door.  This cottage holds the next key to your future.  Lady Valerie will be able to find it with the use of this magic ring.  I will meet you there in three days.”  With those parting cryptic words, Merlin’s ghost faded away.

Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2013, 08:56:35 AM »
I find it difficult to put together the words to describe just how amazing this chapter was. :) Simply...wow! I look forward to seeing where their quest goes from here!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2013, 09:09:43 AM »
Very satisfying. I predict....well, I think I'll keep my guesses to myself.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline ve1ocity

• !I believe in Simverse!
  • Occult
  • Sims 4!
    • Six at Sunset
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
So beautiful, Magz. I have no words to describe how hearth-whelming and thrilling this chapter is. Such a nostalgic feeling...
Read my newest vampire saga! HIATUS
Mission Unnamed

Will Aphrodite ever find True Love?  HIATUS
Yes, its the Greek Gods! Read their antics!
The Greek Gods : An Immortal Dynasty

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 15 - Storms Over Avalon
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2013, 06:38:14 AM »
Lady of the Lake:  Chapter 15 – Storms Over Avalon

That evening, storm clouds gathered as the people of Avalon grieved individually for the loss of their King and protectors.  In the morning, they began preparations for their departure.  For the first time in living memory, Avalon experienced driving rain throughout the day.  The torrential rain indicated that the enchantments over Avalon were failing and hindered the loading of carts and other outdoor preparations.  Previously the rain had never fallen till after sundown. 

With the destruction of Camelot and the disbanding of the Knights of the Round Table, the small population of Avalon knew their beloved island would soon be overrun.  In the outside world, stories had flourished of the wealth of Avalon and for many years, fearless and greedy souls found their way into the narrow valley only to be repelled by the brave guardians.  But the true wealth of Avalon was neither gold nor coin, but the richness of its soil and the abundance of its produce.  Blessed by Mother Nature to be fertile and lovingly tended by fairies, witches, elves, water sprites and wood nymphs, the small fields of Avalon yielded more than sufficient produce for its populace. 

Historically, the people of Avalon had thrived happily in isolation but for one small drawback.  No male of any species had ever been born there.  As with other enchanted forests and islands, Avalon was designed by Mother Nature to be a feminine domain.  Thus, all horses, calves, lambs, chickens, ducks, cats or dogs born on Avalon were always female.  Even the women of Avalon who had found a husband or mate in the outside world, always gave birth to daughters.  Fortunately, stallions, bulls, roosters and such were easily sourced from nearby villages to continue a steady supply of livestock.

Happily too, husbands were not difficult to find for the women of Avalon either since Avalon females tended to be prettier than most and blessed with robust health.  Some girls left the apple isle never to return, while others, with Morgan le Fay’s permission, brought their new husbands to live on Avalon.  Alun had been the third son of poor merchant and happily forfeited any share of his meagre inheritance to marry the lovely Bronwyn and live with her on the island.  That Alun would have no son to follow in his footsteps bothered him not at all.  His life had been long and happy with his wife and their four daughters, who had all married well and now lived in the outside world.  Alun and Bronwyn would go to live with their youngest daughter who was soon to have her first child.  But some of the other inhabitants of Avalon had no idea where they would go.

Morgan le Fay, quietly mourning the loss of her only child Sir Ywain, her brother and King, Arthur, and her oldest friend, Merlin, gently guided her people’s preparations.  Morgan le Fay had more reason than most to mourn the loss of her home and sanctuary.  This was where she found ease after the failure of her unhappy marriage to King Urien of Gore.  This was where she raised her son.  Over time she gathered around her people who did not fear the presence of a fairy.  Soon after Merlin delivered the infant Lady Valerie to her, Avalon became a refuge for those in need of peace and solitude.  Some were blessed with supernatural powers while others were children who needed to be raised in secret, such as Lancelot, or orphaned royal children like Bors and his brother Lionel.  But all things must end sometime and Morgan le Fay knew her work on Avalon was done.  Now she was needed in the north and would go there and start again.

As the wet afternoon drew on, two riders approached the hidden entrance to Avalon.  The riders wore the tunic of the Knights of the Round Table.  “Sir...  eh... King... eh my Lord,” Alun said hesitantly.  “Two riders from Camelot approach wearing tunics in your colours.”

“Thank you Alun.  Please continue to call me Sir Bors as you have always done.  My Pentecostal Oath of loyalty and chivalry remains until the next Pentecost Sunday.”

“But you are also the King of Gaunnes,” said Alun.

“Yes, but I as I still have a quest to fulfil, I would prefer to be known as a simple knight,” smiled Sir Bors.

The riders were soon to be revealed as Sir Bors’ son, Sir Elyan the White, and his new squire, Aeron, son of Cai.  Father and son hugged each other in greeting.  Although sired by deception involving a magic ring, Sir Bors loved his son and it had been many years since his presence had served as an unpleasant reminder that he had been tricked into breaking his vow of celibacy.

Alun and two other Avalon men met with Sir Bors, Sir Elyan and Aeron to listen to the epic tales of the ferocious battles, inspired tactics and courageous feats of the final battle of the Knights of the Round Table.  The stories told by Sir Elyan at the table that evening would be retold for centuries to come.  But for Sir Bors, the discussion of battlefield glory and deaths triggered an avalanche of regret.  Many brave knights he knew and trusted were lost. 

Eventually the conversation of battle was exhausted and turned to the people of Camelot.  Most had returned to the kingdoms from whence they came.  Some knights who had no kingdom to return to, had joined Sir Lancelot on his trek north to Joyous Gard.  Others decided they had seen enough of death and destruction and went to join the ranks of the monks.

Sir Bors advised his son that Abbot Owen and Brother Berian would never make the journey back to Gaunnes.  Sir Elyan digested this news with sorrow for he knew what his father was saying, but hoped he might persuade his father otherwise.  When Aeron heard this, he believed his benefactor was dead.  Aeron quietly grieved and said silent prayers for the man who had spared his life.  Sir Bors eyed the young squire he’d saved with interest.  Sir Elyan saw his father’s gaze and told him how fortuitous it had been to receive the services of a new squire who happened to save his life and his horse, not once, but twice.  Sir Bors smiled to himself, for his son’s praise for his new squire validated Sir Bors’ decision to spare Aeron.   

“The destruction of Camelot has left a vacuum and nobles across the lands vie to fill it for themselves.  Father, we must return to Gaunnes immediately,” Sir Elyan said.  “Claudas’ sons will wage war to retake Gaunnes now that our kingdom is without the alliance of the kingdoms of England provided by King Arthur and Camelot.  The King of Kent has already declared war on the King of Sussex.  On our borders, the Frankish armies are gathering strength.  Your skills and wise leadership is sorely needed at home now.”

“No.  My son, it is your time to rule for I have one last quest King Arthur has entrusted to me.  But I do have one request for you.  There are people here on Avalon who have no place to go.  Please take as many as would want to travel to Gaunnes with you when you return.  But now, happier events are called for.  There is one new Knight to make.”  Bors stood and walked around the table to talk to Aeron.

“Aeron, son of Cai, Abbot Owen chose you wisely.  Although your training is not yet complete, I feel justified in placing faith in you to become a knight my son would have proudly introduced to the Round Table.  Aeron, son of Cai, kneel before your king.”  Aeron did so with haste.  “For your service to my son in the heat of battle, I dub thee Sir Aeron of Gaunnes.  I grant you the Manor House and lands of West Almandy in Gaunnes.  Arise Sir Aeron.”

“Thank you your majesty,” replied a humble Sir Aeron.  Sir Elyan congratulated Sir Aeron on his elevation to knighthood.  Aeron did not know what to make of his King who spoke softly and quietly.  Sir Bors the Younger had a reputation as a fierce and cunning knight.  On the battlefield, some of the other squires had said Sir Bors was the greatest living Knight of the Round Table because of his purity:  albeit with one remarkable exception.  A few argued that while Sir Bors upheld the Code of Chivalry in every way shape or form, his phenomenal strength and sheer brutality in battle made him the most fearsome knight.  Others said that Sir Bors’ astute battle strategies had been the reason for his astounding successes more than sheer brute strength.  But all of Aeron’s new friends attested that Sir Bors was an exceptional knight and many of them had envied Aeron his apprenticeship to the House of Gaunnes.

Aeron had wanted to travel to Gaunnes to meet Sir Bors and see the legendary figure for himself but principally he had wanted to again see the kindly Abbot Owen who had spared his life.  Aeron knew he had a debt to repay the Abbot.  A debt Aeron could now only ever repay by serving the House of Gaunnes to the very best of his ability.  Aeron looked at his mentor-Knight, Sir Elyan.  Father and son looked and even sounded alike, as had the kindly Abbot Owen.  Although he did not get a really good look at the Abbot, Aeron was fairly certain they must all be kin, never knowing how close to the truth his assumption was.

Sir Bors turned to his son.  “Sir Elyan, you have prudently and capably served as steward of Gaunnes in my long absences and have proven yourself valiantly in battle.  Gaunnes will need a young and courageous hand at the helm over the coming years.  Sir Aeron and all gathered here, bare witness that I, King Bors the Younger of Gaunnes, relinquish my kingdom in favour of my son, Sir Elyan the White, henceforth to be King Elyan of Gaunnes.  All hail, King Elyan.”

Sir Bors bowed to his new king.  Cheers erupted among the men gathered.  Alun brought out bottles of nectar so tankards could be refilled to celebrate the new king.

The men again sat at the table and toasted the new King of Gaunnes.  Joviality again broke out as the men talked on.  Sir Bors turned to his son and King and spoke in a soft voice.  “Your majesty I have one favour to ask of you.”

“Father, I would be honoured to grant your favour if I can.”

Sir Bors looked around the happy men celebrating something good during this trying time and lowered his voice so only his son could hear.

“Should Lady Valerie fail in her quest or I fail to protect her and she lives still, marry the fair lady, for her dowry from King Arthur is now worthless and no abbey would take her without a dowry?  Lady Valerie is clever, strong and healthy and could bear you many fine sons and beautiful daughters.”

“My dearest father,” said a humbled King Elyan, “ask me anything but this.  For I have already pledged my heart to Lady Myfanwy, the daughter of King Pellinor.

“Which one of King Pellinor’s daughters is the Lady Myfanwy?”

“The fairest and most beautiful of them all,” replied King Elyan.  “She is the youngest one.  She has hair the colour of fire and eyes the colour of stormy seas.  When she smiles at me my senses dance with joy and my heart yearns only to be with her.”

“Ah that one,” Sir Bors responded, realising that his son was completely besotted.  Although King Pellinor had many passingly pretty daughters, the redheaded Lady Myfanwy was, in Sir Bors own opinion, neither fair nor beautiful, especially when compared to the exquisite loveliness of Lady Valerie.  “Does Lady Myfanwy return your affection?”

“Yes father.  We had planned to tell you at the Yule Ball for I needed your permission to break my vow of celibacy to marry her.  That vow is now voided, of course, but we would like your blessing to marry.”

“You have it.  I wish you a long and happy marriage with many strong sons and fair daughters.  Promise me this instead: should I fail, find a suitable home for Lady Valerie.  You know where the Gaunnes riches are hidden.  Make arrangements to provide for her and make sure she is protected and happy all the days of your life and beyond.  Should Lady Valerie desire a husband, find the strongest and kindest Knight in the land to marry her.  For she is headstrong and will drive a weaker man to strong drink.”

“This father, I will do to the best of my ability,” replied a grateful King Elyan.  “But, father, this will never come to pass.  You will not fail.  You are the only knight to return from the Grail Quest and unquestionably the Round Table’s cleverest knight.  You will not fail in Camelot’s last quest.”

Sir Bors hugged his son, said his goodbyes and left him to his dreams of marrying the cousin of Sir Galahad for King Pellinor was the brother of King Pelles, Sir Galahad’s maternal grandfather.  The marriage would also be a good alliance for Gaunnes in these difficult times. 

Sir Bors turned to walk away, deep in thought.  He realised that he knew his son was deeply in love because he had similar feelings.  How cruel life was that he should, at last, recognise that he loved the fair Lady Valerie with all his heart when she was destined to love another.  His mind flew immediately to the tortured soul of his cousin Sir Lancelot: a man devoted and loyal to his beloved King, all the while irrevocably in love with his Queen.

And now, how ironic it was that Sir Bors had tried so virtuously to counsel Lancelot to cease his affair with Guinevere, when he would have given everything he owned to have the right to hold Lady Valerie in his arms.  Lost in such disturbing thoughts, Sir Bors almost walked into the very object of them.  Fortunately he stopped short in time to raise his head, only to be caught off guard by the angry eyes of Lady Valerie.

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ve1ocity

• Occult
  • Sims 4!
    • Six at Sunset
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 15 - Storms Over Avalon
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2013, 12:50:16 PM »
Heh Lady Valerie really looks fierce in the last screenshot... :D

Looking forwards for what is to come!
Mission Unnamed

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 16 - The Ivy Cottage
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2013, 08:19:50 PM »
Lady of the Lake:  Chapter 16 – The Ivy Cottage

“Sir Bors, I neither want nor need your protection” uttered Lady Valerie in a low clipped voice barely containing her fury.  “If I can drive a weaker man to strong drink, then I have the inner strength to complete this quest alone”.

“But my Lady, you have no choice but to accept my assistance and protection: it was our dying King’s wish and you know I swore to Merlin’s ghost I would train Galahad once you fulfilled your part of this quest”.

“Well make no mistake: I mean to complete my quest with or without you.  We leave within the hour!”  And with a swish of her skirts, she stomped away through the mud muttering under her breath, “Drive a weaker man to strong drink indeed!”

Sir Bors smiled to himself.  The lovely Lady Valerie was indeed a handful.  But what a magnificent handful:  intelligent, beautiful and lively, though somewhat deficient in charm and tact and totally lacking in guile.  It was a good thing she had been born a maiden, thought Sir Bors, for if she had been born a man, she would have been murdered in her sleep for her astonishing ability to rub men the wrong way.  But, he reflected, she would have been formidable in battle.  Lady Valerie reminded him of a spirited and headstrong filly he once had when he was a young man.  Whips and spurs only infuriated her.  It took gentle hands and soft whispers to tame that filly.  He never forgot how much he loved that horse or how deeply he mourned her passing when an enemy lance shattered the cannon bone in her leg and he had to put her down.  With those thoughts, Sir Bors’ mind turned to his horse, Streak, and he set off toward the stables.

He met Morgan le Fay on his way there.  She had prepared a meal that would give him strength and youth enough for the journey.  Sir Bors followed her to her quarters where she had laid out the meal and several items she thought he might need. 

Sir Bors quietly ate the divine meal and felt the exhilarating effects immediately.  Sir Bors stowed his few things along with the various items Morgan le Fay had given him into his backpack, then said his goodbyes to his old and dear friend. 

Morgan le Fay was the only fairy Sir Bors knew and while life had not been kind to her, she remained the most gentle of souls in all the time that he knew her.  Having grown up on Avalon, Sir Bors knew that Morgan le Fay had not been born a fairy.  Merlin had given her a Blessed Bottle of the Fae to use at her discretion.  She eventually used it to escape the tyranny of her husband, and Merlin brought her and her son to the island of Avalon.  King Arthur had once told Sir Bors that he had erred marrying the gentle Morgan to King Urien for the man had been both an unkind husband and a treacherous ally.  Sir Bors speculated that Morgan le Fay’s bad marriage was probably the reason that King Arthur had been so hesitant to marry Lady Valerie off.  Grateful for whatever the reason; Sir Bors quietly closed Morgan le Fay’s door and went out to the stables.

Streak had been both a brave warhorse and an undemanding companion.  Sir Bors petted his horse and with gentle hands, traced the battle scars on his coat as he brushed his horse one last time.  Sir Bors recalled all of the occasions that produced those scars and both knight and horse knew there would be no more.  Streak nuzzled his master and managed to beg an apple which he absentmindedly conjured.  Sir Bors sighed. Lady Valerie had still not cured him of witchitude.

Lady Valerie stood at the stable door and watched silently as Sir Bors whispered gentle words to his horse.  Sir Bors saw her there and nodded.  Streak nuzzled his master one last time.  Sir Bors stroked his forehead then turned away.  Streak nickered uncharacteristically loudly as he watched Sir Bors pick up his backpack and close the stable door.  His master did not look back.  But Streak knew, as animals often do, that he would never see his noble master again.

Without saying a word to Sir Bors, Lady Valerie took out her broom and set off into the blackness of the moonless night.  Sir Bors had no choice but to quickly mount a broom and follow her.  As they flew along, Sir Bors remained vigilant.  He knew that even at night, there would be many displaced persons and ruthless vagabonds travelling these roads now that the alliance of kingdoms had broken down. 

At dawn they again approached the Valley of the Dragons and Lady Valerie set down her broom near a circle of megaliths on the north eastern edge of the valley.  They entered the circle of megaliths on foot and Lady Valerie walked around the stones.  She found what she was looking for and placed a cinnamon stick on the ground at the tip of the shadow of a rock.  Then she again walked among the tall stones - touching some to trace the ancient carvings or picking the wildflowers that grew there. 

Sir Bors wordlessly followed her, assuming this was some witch ritual.  At least he had the right to be with her and when she wasn’t looking, he could admire the curve of her lips, her striking cornflower blue eyes, and even how flattering the sheen of perspiration rendered her lovely face. 

Time passed and presently Lady Valerie went back to the cinnamon stick.  With her back to the sun she placed one foot on the tip of the retreating shadow of the rock and the other foot next to the cinnamon stick.  She looked ahead to the horizon looking for landmarks.  “This is true north.  We must go forward on foot.”  Picking up the cinnamon stick, she set off from the circle of megaliths and Sir Bors just smiled and followed her.  He could have told her where north was had she simply asked.

They walked on.  Crossing streams by footbridges where available or wading through where there were none.  Presently they came to a small cottage.  “This is not the cottage we need”, Lady Valerie said. “It is covered in wisteria not ivy.” 

Without another word to Sir Bors, she set off again.  Sir Bors already knew it wasn’t the cottage they needed because it didn’t have a round door and it was not as far north as Merlin had indicated.  But he was not inclined to say anything unless she asked a direct question.  He enjoyed the day just being with her and his thoughts.  It could not be rendered any more enjoyable with unnecessary words.

Sir Bors followed Lady Valerie as they again walked due north.  When she was hungry she conjured an apple.  Sir Bors did the same.  With each hill they crossed, Lady Valerie searched for her landmarks and trudged on. 

They entered a dense forest where the going was slow and the thick canopy overhead blotted out the warm afternoon sun.  Startled deer and wildlife fled at the sounds of their approach.  Eventually the forest thinned and they came upon a small cottage in a clearing.  This one matched the distance Merlin had said.  The cottage also had a round door and ivy growing over it.

Lady Valerie touched the ring Sir Bors said Merlin gave her. “This is the right cottage.  Should we wait here or go in?”  Lady Valerie asked Sir Bors.

“Perhaps we should knock and see if the inhabitants are expecting us.  I do not expect Merlin to send us into a trap but since I am supposed to protect you, would you prefer that I go first.”

“Please do, Sir Bors and I shall catch my breath on this rock at the gate.”

Sir Bors went through the little garden gate and knocked on the round door and waited.  There were no sounds coming from within the house.  He knocked again but there was still only silence inside the house.  Sir Bors tried the door knob but it was locked.  Sir Bors called out to Lady Valerie.  “I do not think anyone is home, do you want me to look around?”  At the sound of his voice, the door swung ajar but no person appeared.  “Wait here and I will look inside.”  He walked through the house then returned to Lady Valerie at the front gate.  “I cannot see anybody but the house is not abandoned for it is clean and tidy.  Since Merlin will not be here till sometime tomorrow, perhaps we could wait inside for Merlin to appear? 

“Is there a tub large enough for bathing?” Lady Valerie asked.

Sir Bors thought for a few seconds.  “Yes there is.”

“Then we wait inside until someone tells us we are trespassing.  I need to use that tub!”

“Then I shall chop some wood for the fire”, Sir Bors said hastily.  He went around to the back of the cottage trying not to envision the little rivulets of water cascading over her delicate soft skin as she bathed. 

Lady Valerie found the tub easily and it was plumbed in the roman style.  She happily soaked in the tub washing off the sweat and grime of the day’s long trek across country.  She heard the sound of the axe repeatedly fall as Sir Bors chopped his way through a cord of wood or more.  When the sounds of the axe stopped, Lady Valerie quickly dressed and went into the small kitchen to put on the kettle and make some tea for Sir Bors.  Lady Valerie opened the door and called out.  “Sir Bors, I have finished bathing.  You may come in now.”  There was no reply.

She went outside and found the wood pile, the axe and all the split wood, but no Sir Bors.  She walked around the cottage but could not find him.  She did however find a small squirrel chittering away as she came close to it.  She picked it up and stroked it for it had been quite a while since she had had a familiar. 

In the past Lady Valerie had enjoyed the companionship a familiar provided, but knew that with Sir Bors missing, now was not the time for such things.  As she bent down to release the squirrel she noticed a trail of flowers. 

She knew what the flowers signified.  There were only two creatures which left flower trails: plants elves and green fairies.  This was obviously an enchanted forest.  While plants elves were gentle and passive, green fairies were known to be aggressive.  So in all likelihood, she surmised, a green fairy had captured Sir Bors because he was a male.

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2013, 08:51:54 PM »
Ah, a new development! This is a great story, Magz, the perfect story for Dragon Valley.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2013, 09:30:46 PM »
Oh boy, Sir Bors seems to have gotten himself into a bit of a pickle...

Offline ve1ocity

• Occult
  • Sims 4!
    • Six at Sunset
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2013, 07:59:45 AM »
Uh huh... what a thing to happen in the middle of a quest!
Mission Unnamed

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 17 - The Enchanted Forest
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2013, 07:21:50 AM »
Lady of the Lake:  Chapter 17 – The Enchanted Forest

Lady Valerie had heard much of, but had never encountered, a green fairy before.  They were so scarce many people believed them to be a myth.  The main source of information about them came from the plant elves who, generally, were the only beings able to peacefully coexist with green fairies.  Green fairies were the ‘bogeymen’ for the children from enchanted lands.  The children loved to frighten each other with stories of men and women, who were enchanted by green fairies and were never to be seen again.  However the adults knew that green fairies weren’t a myth and the truth was more sinister than the children’s imagination could conceive.

Having lived most of her life on an enchanted island, Lady Valerie was aware that not all females in enchanted lands easily found a suitable husband.  Plant elves, in particular, seemed to have the most difficulty attracting a husband.  However, green fairies didn’t marry, they had mates and were very fastidious about selecting their mates, hence their paucity in numbers.  Also accounting for their scarcity, was their system of allowing only particular fairies to breed.  Lady Valerie had heard that green fairies didn’t bother with courtship but simply enchanted or abducted a man when the breeders became eligible to procreate.

Sir Bors was a strong, healthy and attractive man.  In medieval terms, he was very desirable husband material.  Lady Valerie knew that several women on Avalon had hoped he was amenable to marrying.  But Sir Bors as a Knight of the Round Table, had sworn a vow of celibacy which he took very seriously.  Lady Valerie felt Sir Bors would not readily co-operate with his abductor and that could put him in terrible danger.  Fearing the absolute worst, Lady Valerie ran as she followed the trail of flowers into the thick forest.  She didn’t know how much of a head start the green fairy had but the trail of flowers was still fresh.  Whenever the forest canopy obliterated the moonlight, fireflies appeared to light her way. 

As she ran, her heart beat heavily; not simply from the exercise, but from fear.  Fear gave her feet wings, even though she had been tired from her long day.  Fear not just for Sir Bors, but because she knew, that by entering the green fairy’s territory, she had also put herself in mortal danger. 

The flower trail led from the forest into a clearing and stopped.  With the clearing lit my moonlight, Lady Valerie was able to identify a pretty flower garden, a well tended vegetable patch and further over; what appeared to be a maze.  Lady Valerie stopped to catch her breath and assess the situation. 

A moon dial lit the flower garden and Lady Valerie noticed a stream beyond the garden, but she could not see the type of tree-house said to be favoured by green fairies.  Exploring further in the bright light from the moon dial, Lady Valerie noticed scores of wooden statues, some of which were of women but many more were of men.  As Lady Valerie vacillated on her next course of action she heard a sound to chill her blood: a woman’s voice raised in song, coming directly toward her.  Lady Valerie moved quickly toward the back of the statue garden and hid behind a statue. 

The statue was of a woman that Lady Valerie thought looked vaguely familiar and clamped her hand over her mouth to stop her crying out as she recoiled in horror when recognition dawned.  It appeared that the stories of green fairies who could turn people into wooden statues were true.  Lady Valerie said a silent prayer for the people those statues once were and fervently hoped she was not about to join their number.

A green fairy appeared from the maze and walked toward the vegetable garden.  Had Lady Valerie gone into the maze she would most certainly have been captured and enslaved, or turned into a wooden statue.  Lady Valerie watched as the green fairy harvested red toadstools and wolfsbane flowers.  Lady Valerie speculated that the green fairy may be planning to make an elixir with those ingredients because she harvested nothing else.  Although she had never prepared that one herself, Lady Valerie knew which elixir those ingredients made.

In the light cast by the many luminescent plants Lady Valerie noted the markings on the green fairy’s face and the crystals on her forehead.  She had been told what those signified.  The fairy sang as she walked back toward the maze.  Prickles of fear filled Lady Valerie.  The song the fairy sang was the song of enchantment sung by the sirens.  Lady Valerie knew she must act immediately before she too succumbed to the power of the song.  Using the element of surprise, Lady Valerie stepped away from her concealment and gave the astonished green fairy an icy blast, freezing her on the spot. 

Lady Valerie then rushed into the maze in search of Sir Bors.  Unable to find him, Lady Valerie paused momentarily to listen, hoping to hear Sir Bors muttering or struggling against bonds.  Nothing.  She searched deeper into the maze encountering more dead ends. 

At each dead end, Lady Valerie stopped to listen hoping to hear something.  Deeper in the maze she was able to distinguish a rumbling sound.  With each cautious step closer, the sound grew louder until suddenly its nature became obvious.  The sound she heard was snoring!  Loud and rumbling.  And never had she been happier to hear it.  Following the sounds of snoring, Lady Valerie found Sir Bors partially covered in leaves fast asleep on a log.

Sir Bors had probably been given an elixir to make him sleep, Lady Valerie surmised, for certainly, he would not normally have slept so soundly under those circumstances.  But Lady Valerie also had elixirs and she threw an invigorating elixir at the sleeping form, hoping it would be enough.  He awakened groggily and irritably.

“Shh!” cautioned Lady Valerie.  “Sir Bors we have to hurry.  I do not know how much time we have to make our escape?”

“Where are we?  What’s happening?” he whispered back.

“We are deep in the forest.  You have been abducted by a green fairy?”

“Why?”

“We can talk about that later but right now we must quickly escape this place.”

“I am not wearing any clothes?” he muttered.

“Oh my!” whispered Lady Valerie, taken aback.  In the scattered moonlight, Lady Valerie could see that the leaves that covered him were some sort of apparel fashioned to shield his modesty but were not sufficient to keep him warm against the night chill nor conceal his striking physique.  “Never mind your lack of attire, we must hurry.  Running will keep you warm.”

Since Lady Valerie had no idea how long she had blundered through the maze searching for Sir Bors, she couldn’t estimate how much time she had left before the green fairy thawed.  And because they were so deep in the maze, Lady Valerie had no idea which way was out.  Trying not to look at the semi-naked Sir Bors, she fixed her gaze on the ground hoping to see her footprints and once again, saw a flower trail on the maze floor not more than a pace away.  Cautiously, Lady Valerie and Sir Bors followed the flower trail and found their way out of the maze.  Luckily the green fairy was still frozen in the garden.  Deducing that the flower trail had not been left by the green fairy, Lady Valerie followed with her eyes where the flower trail led into the forest.  She saw a little plant elf child of about 10 years old, beckoning her.  Lady Valerie and Sir Bors ran to the child, who bowed to Lady Valerie. 

“My good wife,” said the little girl.  “I am Daisy.  I saw the green fairy lure your husband away so I followed her.  I left a flower trail to help you find him.”

Lady Valerie did not correct Daisy’s assumption about their marital status.  “Daisy, I thank you for your timely assistance.  Did you lay down the flower trail to lead us out of the maze?” 

Daisy nodded.  “You must hurry, there is no time now to talk.  To protect your husband from other fairies, you should hold his hand to show ownership.  If you go back through the forest, the green fairy will find you before you can reach safety.  You can only escape now if you go into the stream, for green fairies are hydrophobic.  The stream is shallow and will conceal your trail.  If you follow the stream down, you will come to the footbridge you crossed earlier today which will take you back to Ivy Cottage.  Hurry now before she thaws,” cautioned Daisy.

“Thank you for everything you did.  I will always remember you.”  Lady Valerie whispered as she hugged Daisy goodbye.  As Sir Bors and Lady Valerie waded into the shallow stream, Daisy ran off into the forest.

Wading downstream was slow because the pebbles underfoot were slippery.    Many times Lady Valerie missed her footing and would have fallen into the water but for the support of Sir Bors.  Eventually they came to the footbridge.  Sir Bors clamoured onto the bank to assist Lady Valerie who was sopping wet, chilled and exhausted.  Noting her exhaustion, Sir Bors picked up Lady Valerie and carried her in his arms for the remainder of the way to the cottage.

Lady Valerie nestled into the strength of his arms, too tired and too cold to care about impropriety as she snuggled closer into the warmth of his body.  Sir Bors put her capitulation to his assistance down to sheer exhaustion but exciting shivers danced along his nerve endings at the feel of holding the woman he loved in his arms. 

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2013, 06:43:09 PM »
Good that Valerie was able to find a friendly face in the maze. Thank you Daisy!

"Striking physique" indeed. :D

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2013, 05:09:20 PM »
Author's Note:

The green fairy in this story has no connection, allusion or other correlation to any other green fairy in other stories on this or any other forum.  She is simply a product of my overactive imagination. 

For the record I am enjoying the story of Marjorie Callahan in The Callahan Life States Dynasty and I look forward to following Hazel as she embarks on her little sojourn in Sunset Valley with  Oliver Spy School in Shipperke's Ben Oliver story.

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

anything