Author Topic: The Lady of the Lake: Epilogue (Completed)  (Read 71886 times)

Offline Banana Bender

• Llama Wrangler
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 32 - A Hospital Crisis or Two
« Reply #180 on: June 02, 2014, 05:45:45 PM »
The plot twists in this story are awesome!  Poor Morgana.  I do hope she recovers with the amnesia.  :o

Your hospital is amazing.  I don't have an issue with reduced screenshots.  Keep the story rolling, you have me on the edge of my seat.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 33 - Another Day - Another Problem
« Reply #181 on: June 03, 2014, 10:38:56 PM »
Lady of the Lake:  Chapter 33 – Another Day – Another Problem

Upon returning to the Sacred Spleen Memorial Hospital the next morning, Dr Landgraab was confronted by a media scrum hurling dozens of questions at him.  As he approached the doors of the hospital entrance, Geoffrey turned to faced them.  “Ladies and gentlemen of the press, I will issue a media statement when I have facts to give you, not speculation.  But for now I have patients to see, so would you all please leave the precinct so that our health services are not disrupted.  Good day”   He turned and entered the hospital.

Before beginning his rounds, Geoffrey Landgraab went to his office to check the ‘Hot’ sheets: the reports containing details on any critical incidents from the previous shift.  However, waiting outside his office was someone he never expected to see: Anja Svard, the ex-supermodel.

Anja reached out and shook Geoffrey’s hand.  “Hello Dr Landgraab, I’m Anja Svard and I’m heading the OSHA investigation.”  She held up her OSHA identity card which Geoffrey gave her the courtesy of actually looking at it.

“Good morning, Ms Svard.  Please come into my office” Geoffrey said, opening the door to allow her to enter first before him.  Geoffrey then held up his index finger and mouthed ‘one moment’ before walking across to his credenza and turning on an old boom box.  Picking up the Hot Sheets, he quickly scanned through them and then looked at her.  “I’m just about to do my rounds.  After that I can devote some time for you at say... 11:30 for an hour or so, will that do?”

“Thank you Dr Landgraab but we have almost concluded our investigation already.  The lab will do some modelling to verify certain results and then final report will be submitted.  I have the preliminary report right here so we can discuss it in depth at 11:30.  An hour will be sufficient time,” Anja said handing him a bound report. 

“Really,” he said taking the report, “You’ve finished the investigation so soon?” 

“Dr Landgraab, do you understand the internal workings of an autoclave unit?”

“Not in the least,” he grimaced, “but if it was a lung, I’m your man.”  Anja Svard laughed.  Most men usually alluded to the heart because it too was a system of valves and pumps.  She liked this doctor.  He hadn’t tried to insult her intelligence or flirt with her.  But she was curious about the radio.

“I’ll give you a quick précis of the report but it’s all there in the executive summary.  The autoclave unit did not malfunction, it was sabotaged.”  Anja noted the complete lack of surprise on the doctor’s face but continued.  “One of the pressure vessel seals was sliced through, probably with a small knife or box cutters and the standard safety systems were manually overridden.  However, it appears that the explosion may have been meant to cause more damage than it did but the hospital’s Chief Engineer had built his own additional fail-safe systems into the unit.” 

Initially Geoffrey listened carefully as she gave a technical explanation about rupture discs, fail-safe valves and T-bolt doors but eventually he partially tuned out as he flipped through the report and saw her credentials as a mechanical engineer from one of the top Ivy League universities.  As he listened with one ear to her talk of gaskets and o-rings, his mind raced away in another direction. 

His primary thoughts were that while he, himself, had been around autoclave units for years, he wouldn’t have known how to disable its safety systems.  But someone had to know.  The maintenance staff had all been at the hospital for years.  Geoffrey felt sure if there had been any trouble, the hospital’s Chief Engineer, Dustin Langerak, would have come to him immediately.  He doubted it could be one of Dustin’s staff, because they would have known about his extra safety measures. 

But everybody in town was feeling the pinch with the hospital shares paying such small dividends.  Some families were really doing it tough and Geoffrey knew that Nancy regularly invited the Alvi family to dinner just so she’d know they got a decent square meal.  While it was possible that any one of a dozen people could have been bribed, realistically, how many of them could sabotage the autoclave?  No, the saboteur was probably an outsider disguised as a patient.  But then a patient being in the dirty utility room would be suspicious.  Geoffrey wondered how much time was needed to do what the saboteur did.  He’ll ask head of security Gage Briody, to look through security camera footage for any possible lead.

Anja concluded her précis by saying, “There was no evidence of any negligence on the part of the hospital’s maintenance staff.  Indeed while the unit was old, it had been expertly maintained by the hospital’s chief engineer.  The maintenance logs were well documented and all the safety checks met Code Specifications.  From the photographs in the OH&S report, its physical appearance showed quite a few dents and paint scratches but nothing that’s not normal wear and tear for plant and equipment that age.  Mechanically that autoclave unit was better maintained than some units half its age.  It should not have been listed as being in a dangerous state.”

“Yet the OH&S auditor cited it in his report,” responded Geoffrey.

“Yes he did, but Mr Sauer, the report’s author, is not a mechanical engineer,”  Anja said emphatically.  “As I said, the autoclave’s physical appearance may have led a non-engineer to think that, but the assumption that it was mechanically dangerous is not valid.  Moreover, I’ve read Mr Sauer’s report.  The number of equipment items cited as dangerous and requiring replacement is extraordinary.  While I was waiting for you this morning, I’ve checked some of the equipment listed and I can assure you, that while the equipment is old it is functioning well within safety specifications.  I don’t wish to be alarmist but that audit report is so flawed, it is absurd!” 

Geoffrey remembered that Dustin said exactly the same thing.  Anja continued, “I don’t know where Mr Sauer obtained his credentials to undertake safety audits, because he does not state them, but I can assure you that OH&S audit report is garbage.”

“Clark Sauer has been the local repairman in Sunset Valley for years,” Geoffrey said.  “I believe that he did an online course to get his accreditation as an auditor.  The Board approved his appointment.  I wasn’t privy to their selection process or decision.”  Geoffrey immediately wondered whether Clark Sauer would have been the police’s number one suspect, had he not been away at a training course in advanced technology.  Nevertheless, his audit report still made him a suspect in Geoffrey’s mind.

“There must be some mistake!  Those online courses only accredit office environment audits not, mechanical, hydraulic or electrical systems.  Those systems in a hospital are required to be audited by qualified engineers.”  As Geoffrey pondered this information, Anja sized him up.  “Dr Landgraab, may I be frank with you?”

“Sure.”

“Things are not right here.  That OH&S report is a dangerous document to have in the hands of the lawyers for the deceased.  They won’t win any court case with it because any reasonably competent engineer would tear it to shreds but it will damage this hospital’s reputation.  My work for OSHA is finished once I take my preliminary report to the police.  This is no longer an OSHA issue, this is now a murder investigation and a criminal matter.  Dr Landgraab, I am distressed that someone pretending to be a qualified auditor has produced such a flawed report.  With your permission, I’d like to undertake a true safety audit of the mechanical systems.  My associates can finalise the OSHA report once the lab verifies my data. 

“I don’t think the Hospital Board will approve the expenditure of another audit, Ms Svard,” replied Geoffrey Langraab.

“No, this I will do for free.  I cannot abide sloppy work by unqualified people who pass themselves off as professionals.  Besides, I believe you’re going to need an expert testimony to refute that... that... load of rubbish!”  Anja’s face was flushed with her indignation.

Geoffrey was secretly pleased by her passionate speech.  “Ms Svard, you’ve got yourself a deal.  But you must be paid, otherwise the opposition will allege conspiracy or something else to use that against us.”  Geoffrey thought carefully about how he would phrase his next words.  “As it happens, I have just received some funding from the White Knights of Gaunnes to investigate several issues plaguing this hospital.  They will be the ones commissioning your services.  How soon can you begin?”

Anja had heard of the organisation and was intrigued by it, and in looking around Dr Landgraab’s office, she could see objects indicating his interest in medieval history:  objects which only a discerning eye would recognise as an association with the White Knights of Gaunnes. 

Anja’s French grandfather had regaled her with stories of the White Knights of Guannes during the war.  Principally known for helping small worthy companies during hostile takeovers, the organisation was a cover hiding a covert mission.  Their secret reputation as ‘saviours’ of people were the stuff of legends.  Anja was unsure how many of her grandfather’s stories were a product of his advanced age and dementia, until she did some research.  Everywhere she went now, she looked for more information about that noble organisation. 

Anja turned to Geoffrey Landgraab with admiration.  “I can begin this afternoon, but with all due respect Dr Landgraab, if the White Knights of Gaunnes are backing you, you have bigger problems than a spurious OH&S audit report or a saboteur.”

“I believe so, Ms Svard.  Are you still interested in doing this?”

“Sign me up!  I’ll help in any way I can!” stated a vehement Anja Svard.  “I hate bullies no matter what guise they use!”

“I’ll be back in my office around 11:30.  If you like, we can talk about this then.  But I must go, I have rounds to make.  It’s been my pleasure to meet you Ms Svard.  Good day.” Geoffrey switched off the radio and ushered the OSHA investigator out of his office, locking the door.

Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #182 on: June 03, 2014, 10:58:53 PM »
Intriguing...and at the same time disturbing. I do hope that they can get to the bottom of this!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #183 on: June 04, 2014, 12:57:27 PM »
I'm worried about the problems that come with the backing of the White Knights of Gaunnes.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #184 on: June 04, 2014, 02:35:28 PM »
Ooooo!  So the plot thickens more!  I really love how you've set everything up, Mags!

Offline VioletG

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #185 on: June 06, 2014, 02:20:23 PM »
I'm worried about the problems that come with the backing of the White Knights of Gaunnes.

I'm guessing that just means that if they are helping you then it's a really serious issue. And the hospital potentially being taken over by the mafia is a pretty serious problem!

Mags, I love how everything you write is so well thought out and researched. It makes this story really fascinating to read!

Offline Banana Bender

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #186 on: June 12, 2014, 11:05:37 PM »

MarianT, I'm with VioletG on this one.  I think Geoffrey Landgraab's family company IS the White Knights of Gaunnes and their next person/entity to 'save' will be the Sacred Spleen Hospital.

I like the tie in with Dustin Langerak and Gage Briody.  Dustin as chief engineer makes sense as he is handy.  I wonder who else we'll see?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 34 - A Not-so-Round Table
« Reply #187 on: June 13, 2014, 06:13:36 AM »
Lady of the Lake:  Chapter 34 – The Not-so-Round Table

Feeling somewhat overwhelmed by the scale of what was happening, Dr Geoffrey Landgraab put those issues aside to concentrate on his rounds and check on his favourite and most critical patient.  Morgana’s vital signs had improved only very slightly through the night.  But of primary concern was that the swelling of the brain tissue had not reduced anywhere near his expectation. 

Geoffrey and Jamie double checked all monitors, fluids and medication but the news was not good.  Jamie proposed a different antibiotic but Geoffrey decided to drain more cerebrospinal fluid from the brain to alleviate the pressure.  He then asked Jamie to run some standard reflex tests to establish a baseline.

“Who are you mentoring this week?” Geoffrey asked his second in command.

“Agnes.  She has exams this morning.  If you recall, we originally had Morgana down for a rotation in ER but I’m putting Agnes in that slot.”

“Okay.  Bring her up to speed on Morgana.  I’m going to need to rely on you a lot this week; and I don’t want you dead on your feet.  Oh, and by the way, those two candy-stripers are still smooching in the equipment store.  Sort that out will you?”

Jamie smiled, “Holly and Ethan.  I’ve a feeling that’s more than just a teenage crush for those two.  Personally I think they’re a good match but I can see hysterics coming from Vita when she finds out.”

Geoffrey Landgraab smiled at that thought as he made his way to the waiting room where he knew Thornton and Galeas would now be waiting.  To his surprise he found not just Thornton and Galeas there, but also the family that Morgana so loved to talk about.

As Galeas made the introductions of his father, Bors, who was holding little Bronwyn, Geoffrey Landgraab was struck by a sense of déjà vu.  His dream of last night seemed not so improbable after all.  Before him stood the embodiment of Sir Bors the Younger, the penultimate King of Gaunnes, the man who knighted his illustrious forefather, Sir Aeron of Almandy. 

Geoffrey’s rational brain acknowledged there had to be a logical explanation but in his heart of hearts, he hoped his wildest imaginings could be true.  Geoffrey knew the royal house of Gaunnes died out with the death of King Elyan as history recorded that Sir Bors the Younger died in the Crusades on Good Friday.

Geoffrey speculated that even if Sir Bors the Younger had fathered another child before his death, surely a distant descendant could not look identical to his ancestor?  No man in the Almandy family looked anything remotely like the original Aeron of Almandy.  Forty-seven generations had diluted the blood.  Only the brown eyes seemed to have survived but brown eyes were a dominant gene so that didn’t count. 

On being introduced to Valerie, Geoffrey was struck by her old fashioned Georgian dress in bright vermillion which he thought looked exactly right on her.  But it was her cornflower blue eyes that reminded him of one of the ladies in the Holy Grail painting who also had blue eyes and wore a very similar coloured gown.  This was surely no mere coincidence, he pondered. 

Next, Geoffrey was introduced to Ginny who was reading to the toddler Daisy.  The teenager promptly said her name was Guinevere.  Chills danced along Geoffrey’s spine as he noted her strong resemblance to her father and her real name.  Geoffrey had only heard of her referred to as Ginny so he supposed her first name was Virginia.  Geoffrey noted Lance was missing and looked for him.  Galeas saw Dr Landgraab’s puzzlement and correctly interpreting it, said that Lance was travelling and would be in Sunset Valley as soon as he could.

Geoffrey knew intuitively that Lance was going to be Lancelot.  But surely the names really meant nothing at all.  Geoffrey had already known that Morgana’s family were medieval enthusiasts.  It was not all that unusual to name your children after beloved characters.  Geoffrey remembered all the mothers naming their children Kayla, Kimberley, Hope and Bo when he was a first year medical student.  People often chose names of characters or actors they liked.  Indeed Geoffrey had done just that.  He had named his son Malcolm, because he really liked a 'Firefly' character even though Nancy told everybody that Malcolm was a family name.

Reigning in his overactive imagination, Geoffrey told everybody “Morgana’s vital signs are unfortunately not yet stable enough to lift the ban on anyone visiting the ICU.”

“Will she make it?” asked Thornton, his grey eyes filled with distress but his features devoid of expression as if he couldn’t possibly absorb any more pain.

“Truthfully Thornton, I don’t know.  We may not know for another 48 hours.”

“Can I just see her through the window?”

“Sorry but I don’t think that’s a good idea.  You would barely recognise a human under all that equipment and bandages. She is heavily sedated to reduce brain activity so she won’t even know you’re there.  I’ve got her on the strongest analgesics her system will take and she is breathing via a ventilator.  We’re giving her very strong antibiotics to prevent infection but as you know hospitals are the prime breeding grounds for antibiotic resistant bacteria.  The best prevention is eliminating any chance of bacterial contamination.”

Dr Landgraab sighed, “Look Thornton, she’s made it this far and that’s actually a good sign.  Her injuries were among the worst head injuries I’ve ever seen.  That’s she’s still alive is a minor miracle in itself.”  Guinevere gasped and buried her head in her hands.  All other eyes focused squarely on Geoffrey Landgraab; even the little girls stopped playing and watched him.  “We’ve done everything we can.  At the moment all I can say is that her condition is stable.  We have a long way to go before she is out of the woods, but I’ll be the last one to write off her chances of recovery.”

“What can I do?” asked Thornton.

“Nothing... for now.  So go home, eat a decent meal and try to get some rest.  It won’t help her at all when she wakes up if she finds you are a total mess.”

“I’ll make sure he eats,” Galeas replied.

“Actually, Galeas, if it’s not too much to ask, I have an important meeting in my office in a few minutes that I think you and your father might like to sit in on.”

Bors stopped snuggling Bronwyn and raised his head and looked directly at Dr Landgraab.  This was a most unusual request.  He was definitely intrigued and replied.  “Thank you Dr Landgraab, we would like that but you should know that I don’t exclude Valerie from anything, so she may as well come along to this meeting too.  Ginny will take the girls and Thornton back to the Condor Museum Lofts.  A hospital is no place for them to play.”

Ginny looked at her father raising her eyebrow.  “Sure Dad, but you’re going to tell me all about this too, aren’t you?”

“If this pertains to Morgana, then I will not keep the truth from you.”  Bors conceded.

“Fair enough,” replied Ginny.  “Come on Thornton, how does grilled cheese sandwiches sound to you?”  Thornton didn’t answer but was suitably horrified as Ginny thrust a protesting Daisy into his arms so she could take Bronwyn from her father.  Dr Landgraab escorted the family to the lifts and tried desperately not to laugh as the little ginger haired toddler tried to rearrange a smile on Thornton’s wooden features.  The lift echoed to her piping voice imploring ‘Tonton’ to smile.

Geoffrey Landgraab led the trio to his office and saw Anja Svard was already waiting for him. 

He introduced the duGaunnes who showed they had no idea who Anja was other than as the OSHA investigator he introduced her as.  Clearly the duGaunnes did not read the tabloids.  Although to be fair, Anja hadn’t been in them for quite some time.  However, Anja looked at them curiously when Geoffrey mentioned their name which was not surprising, since she already knew the existence of the White Knight of Gaunnes, an organisation known to so few. 

Geoffrey gestured to the others to take a seat at the small meeting table he had in his office.  But before sitting down Geoffrey turned on the radio on his credenza.  Geoffrey then looked carefully at the ‘team’ he had gathered.  He saw curiosity not unease, on the faces of Morgana’s family and turned to them. 

“Thank you all for coming.  I believe my desk is bugged hence the radio.  This meeting has nothing to do with Morgana directly but the problems plaguing this hospital.  I don’t know who to trust in this town anymore, so I hoped to be able to bounce a few ideas off you.”  Geoffrey noted their expressions, none of which showed they weren’t willing to listen.  Surveying his new team, Geoffrey turned to Galeas.  “Galeas would you like to summarise for your parents and Anja what you learned from Thornton yesterday about this hospital?”

Galeas was puzzled at how Dr Landgraab knew of that conversation between Thornton and himself.  Galeas had wondered briefly yesterday if that waiting room was monitored since the guards disappeared so quickly.  Now he had his answer, but he didn’t know why anyone would bother bugging a surgical waiting room.  Nevertheless he said matter-of-factly, “Well it sounds to me like the hospital is in the throes of a hostile takeover.  The takeover entity already has 51 % of the shares but appears to need more for its purposes.  For the shares that it has not been able to acquire, the dividends have been reduced to nearly nothing, possibly hoping it can acquire the additional shares needed from cash strapped townie investors.  The SEC can’t take any action at this point and may only be able to act when it is too late.”

“How would you suggest we deal with this?”

“Dr Landgraab, I’m a politician not a business man,” replied Galeas.

“I know that, but I want your gut feeling on this.”

“Well Dr Landgraab, first of all, I’d look for a white knight to buy out the shares of the cash strapped investors.  Although I think that will be an uphill battle because usually a white knight has the approval of the Board, which I don’t think will happen in your case.  Secondly, you need to put whatever resources you can get your hands on, into finding out the truth of the majority shareholder’s identity so the SEC can move against them before they wreck the reputation of this hospital and bankrupt the townspeople.  Thirdly, you should investigate what town planning instruments could be used to circumvent a full acquisition of the hospital by unsavoury characters.  For example, I know that a doctor cannot practice medicine if not of ‘good character’, so perhaps, the same criterion could be incorporated in a by-law or covenant to apply to anyone holding a majority share in a hospital?”

“Thank you Galeas, an excellent idea.”

“I appreciate your vote of confidence Dr Landgraab. 

“Anja, would you care to share your findings on the incident which killed Ian Bowler and injured Morgana Wolff?”

“The autoclave was sabotaged.  There is no question about that.  The explosion was possibly meant to be bigger and perhaps kill more people or partially destroy the hospital.  The police have taken over this investigation as it is a criminal matter.  There is a flawed OH&S audit report which could ruin the hospital’s reputation and possibly involve it in a lengthy and expensive wrongful death suit.  In line with what Galeas has just said, I would not rule out that these problems were linked.” Anja turned to look at the others, “I have holiday time owing to me so this morning I offered Dr Landgraab my services as a mechanical engineer to undertake a full audit of the hospital’s mechanical systems.  In view of what I’m hearing, I now offer to stand as an expert witness to testify against Clark Sauer's OH&S report.  If there’s anything else I can do, you have only to ask.”

“Thank you Anja.”  Dr Landgraab looked across at Morgana’s father seated on his right.

“Mr duGaunnes, I understand from Morgana that you’re quite the strategist.  How do you recommend that we approach this?”

Bors hesitated momentarily somewhat surprised that Morgana had thought anything of the kind.  “Well Dr Landgraab, in any conflict you need to know your opponent as much as possible so you know what he’s capable of.  As you appear to have an unknown opponent, you should try to figure out what their goal could be.  If they do manage to squeeze out the other shareholders, will they own this hospital outright?

“Technically no, the land is owned by the state and leased to the Hospital Board.  The land, therefore the state, theoretically owns any structure built upon it.  But the lease is a perpetual lease and the owners of the majority shares would be able to dictate hospital policy, hire and fire staff, set prices and basically do what they want so long as they file the correct annual reports back to the state and pay the land tax.  And all this they can already do now with their 51%, so it seems pointless to squeeze out the small shareholders.”

Bors pondered this for a moment.  “Then perhaps you need to find out who stands to gain from such a course of action.  Is there anywhere they are funnelling money to other than into their own pockets?”

Geoffrey thought for a moment, “Well, they have created far more surgical suites than this region could possibly need.  From the design, fixtures and fittings to the new theatres, I’d say they plan to ramp up plastic surgery.”  Geoffrey sighed.  “Plastic surgery is such a specialised field.  Sunset Valley is not Bridgeport, the need for plastic surgery is mostly limited to reconstructive surgery for post accident victims.  Currently we don’t actually have any plastic surgeons on our regular staff but call in specialists from Bridgeport as needed.”

Valerie chipped in with her thoughts, “So other than film stars and accident victims, who else would need plastic surgery and in such volume to warrant that number of operating theatres?”

Galeas then speculated, “Since the criminal element in Sunset Valley is the share proxy, perhaps there is a need for criminals to change their looks.  If they had a hospital under their control, they could come from all over to change their appearance.”

Anja interjected, “Yes!  Of course!  With facial recognition software now used in all the airports and transport hubs, the known petty criminals are being tracked by law enforcement agencies in the hope they’ll lead to the crime kingpins.  If they change their appearance, the law will be back to square one.”

Geoffrey considered their opinions and turned again to Bors, “That is one possible scenario to explore.  How would you suggest I start?”

“Dr Landgraab, I would suggest that if you feel you cannot go to the police, that you engage a trained investigator.  You do understand that whoever you’re dealing with has caused one death.  Logically more could follow given they were prepared to cause a larger explosion than they got.  They will probably attempt something again and quite soon.  Something is driving them to a flash point because they have already escalated their actions from merely squeezing the shareholders to sabotage.  Until you know more about them, their motives and more importantly, their imperatives, you cannot attempt to predict or circumvent their actions.”

As Geoffrey pondered that piece of advice, he noticed that Valerie wore the ring of the royal house of Gaunnes while Bors wore none.  That ring was always worn by the male.  Galeas wore the same style of ring and he was certain the when Lancelot arrives, he will wear one too.  Geoffrey knew that ring because as the second son, he too wore a copy of that ring.  Bors was definitely a descendant from the Gaunnes royal family.

Geoffrey had looked into the steel blue eyes of Bors the Younger’s portrait dozens of times trying to get the measure of the man who was considered the most accomplished strategist of the Round Table.  He believed he knew whose eyes he was looking into now.

Geoffrey wondered whether he should say what he’d been rehearsing, or leave it until he was more certain.  Time was running out for the hospital.  His opponents were ruthless: there was already one death, soon there would be more.  His thoughts were suddenly interrupted by the sound of his beeper.  Instinctively he looked at the readout.  He was needed urgently in ICU.

“I’m sorry but you will have to excuse me.  I am needed elsewhere.  Before I go, I should warn you that all the areas of this hospital are monitored and any conversation you have in any room, other than my office, will end up in a report forwarded to the Hospital Board.”

“Dr Landgraab, when you have finished here, perhaps you would like to join us at Condor Museum Lofts for a late lunch?” asked Valerie.

“Thank you Valerie, but I also have a surgical list this afternoon.  Perhaps we could make that dinner?”

“Dinner would be even better.”

“Thank you, I’d be delighted.  My list should be finished by around 6:00 PM.  Would 6:30 be suitable for dinner?”

“Yes, 6:30 is fine.”

“Then please excuse me for now, I must go.  Security will show you all out if you need directions.”

Geoffrey Landgraab raced down to ICU where Dr Jolina thrust the test results into his hands.  Scanning the document he asked worriedly, “You’ve double checked these readouts for both the cortex and the brain stem?”

“Triple checked and quadruple checked.”

“The corneal reflex?

“No response.”

“Oculo-vestibular reflex?”

“Minimal response.” replied a despondent Jamie.  “Dr Landgraab, you do know that Morgana left a living will?”

“We still have another 48 hours before we can run a radionuclide blood flow test that would produce a valid result.  So until then, we maintain the status quo.”

“Of course and in the meantime?” asked Jamie.

“No one goes in there but you and Agnes and me.”

“Okay, not a problem.  How long is your surgical list this afternoon?

“It’s a short list today because we’ve had a few cancellations.  I should finish around 18:00.

Jaimie thought for a moment.  Her list today had been short too.  “How about we do this in shifts?  I’ve been on the go now for 36 hours and I’m knackered.  I’ll call Agnes back in to relieve me here and you can relieve her at 22:00 and I’ll relieve you at 06:00 tomorrow.”

“That’ll work.  Thanks Jamie.  I appreciate your help.” 

“No thanks required.  She’s my friend too.” 

Geoffrey Landgraab could not leave without taking one last look at Morgana.  Jamie saw Geoffrey’s shoulder droop but the face he turned to her was resolute.  “I’ll be back at 22:00 but have Agnes call me on my personal cell phone rather than the beeper if she needs assistance.”  Geoffrey thought it was now way past the time to pray for miracles.  Tonight after dinner with the duGaunnes, he intended to pursue his agenda.  With his shoulders squared and with more purpose in his stride, Geoffrey left the ICU.

As Dr Landgraab’s soft footfalls died away, Jaime felt ashamed of her feelings:  thankful that she was not the one who would have to tell Thornton and Morgana’s family that within 16-20 hours, Morgana could be brain dead.

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #188 on: June 13, 2014, 10:52:43 AM »
It's all starting to come to a head. I can't wait to see how this all pans out!

And Holly and Ethan--stop smooching and get back to work! ;)

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #189 on: June 13, 2014, 02:00:30 PM »
Oh wow!  Not Morgana!  *sniffle*  I'd have to agree with Jamie on that one... I wouldn't want to be the one to have to tell them that either...

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 35 - The Saviours
« Reply #190 on: June 20, 2014, 07:35:04 AM »
Lady of the Lake:  Chapter 35 – The Saviours

Geoffrey Landgraab looked as despondent as he felt when he put down the phone after talking to Ian Bowler’s widowed mother.  Mrs Bowler was asking questions to which Geoffrey had no real answers.  Yesterday, he had advised her of Ian’s death and she was too distraught to talk further.  Today, Mrs Bowler had read in the newspaper that the autoclave had malfunctioned and then had received a visit from the police who told her that her son had been murdered by a saboteur. 

While Geoffrey hadn’t known Ian Bowler all that well, he still felt a deep sense of loss over the death of a man who had been a valued member of the hospital’s staff.  Ian could always be relied on to fill in and work extra shifts: he was happy to help out the hospital and at the same time earn additional income to support his mother who did not receive a pension.  Geoffrey pondered Mrs Bowler’s grief and plight: how would she cope without her son’s emotional and financial support?  Geoffrey sent an email to Nancy asking her to find some solution for the elderly widow who had now lost her only child.

Geoffrey was emotionally drained.  His usual bonhomie had evaporated.  He had his surgical list to get through, and the night shift in ICU was still ahead of him.  And he didn’t quite know how he would cope having to watch his dear friend’s life slowly ebb away; all the while knowing there was absolutely nothing he could do to prevent it.  His skill as a surgeon could only go so far.

Geoffrey knew he had to concentrate on the things he could do and not waste his time and energy on things that he couldn’t control.  He had to put a brake on his imagination concerning Morgana’s family.  He couldn’t lose track of the real life issues he was faced with.  The flights of fancy he almost succumbed to at that meeting earlier now seemed preposterous, even to him.  Geoffrey shook his head.  He really needed to get that fantasy out of his mind.  If he messed up this investigation in any way because of his fascination with the duGaunnes, he would never forgive himself.  When the dust was settled on this problem one way or another, he promised himself he’d explore that avenue if he could.  But for now, he had to put on his Dr Landgraab face and take his next appointment.

Later that evening Geoffrey set out for his dinner appointment.  He was greeted at the door of the Condor Museum Lofts by a cheerful Valerie duGaunnes.  “Hello again Dr Landgraab, please come in.  You’re just in time.  Dinner is almost ready.  Ginny is experimenting with some drinks, would you care for an apéritif?  They’re non-alcoholic.”

“Please call me Geoffrey.  Thank you, I’d love a drink,” Geoffrey replied taking the frothy concoction Ginny offered.  Gratefully sipping the sweet drink, Geoffrey thought how very French and civilised the duGaunnes were.  Not too many people even used the word apéritif anymore. 

Ginny began chatting while her mother went back to the kitchen.  “How’s the drink Dr Landgraab?”

“Very refreshing Guinevere.  Just what the doctor ordered,” he smiled.

“Gee thanks.  Dad and Galeas are upstairs with the twins.  They’ll be down soon.  We hope you like ratatouille.  It’s dad’s favourite.  He’s French you know and mum’s a terrific cook.  ”

“Ratatouille sounds marvellous.  It’s my favourite too.  And I’m half French,” replied Geoffrey.

Ginny then began chatting about their holiday in Isla Paradiso and all the different seashells the twins collected.  She found a message in a bottle and had a close encounter with a shark and snagged a shark’s tooth.  Ginny had an engaging personality and was quite the storyteller, so Geoffrey gave her his full attention, losing himself in the simple pleasure of undemanding and amusing company.

Chatter at the meal table was genial and light hearted, in the French tradition.  Geoffrey was even able to finish his meal before his phone rang.  “I’m sorry.  I’m on call.  Please excuse me.” Geoffrey said taking out his phone.  It was Agnes.  Trouble never left him alone for long.

“Dr Landgraab, you must come back to ICU immediately!”

“Of course Agnes, I’m on my way.”  Turning around he addressed his host, “I’m really sorry but I must go.  It has been a delightful dinner and I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed your wife’s cooking and your family’s company.”

“I’ll walk with you to the hospital if you like?” Bors suggested.  “I need the exercise and we can talk as we walk.”

“That would be my pleasure, thank you,” replied Geoffrey.

Once outside, Bors turned to Geoffrey and got right to the crux of the matter, “Apart from hypothetical advice, if there is any way we can help you with the problems you’re facing at the hospital, please call on us.  Valerie and I have talked and we would like to buy out the hospital shares of the cash strapped townies, alleviating the need for you to call in your white knight.  Then you can concentrate your investigation on finding out who is behind it all and why they want your hospital.”

“Thank you but it is not necessary for you to spend your money this way.  I have already found an investor prepared to take on that burden.  Have you ever, by chance, heard of the White Knights of Gaunnes?”

“No.  I don’t believe so,” replied Bors his face impassive.  “Gaunnes of course I know.  It is the ancient name for Gaul which now is mostly modern day France.”

Under the light of the hospital’s awning, Geoffrey turned to face Bors trying to read his face.  “The White Knights of Gaunnes are a secret organisation founded centuries ago to help people in terrible trouble when no one else would or could help.  I understand you are well versed in medieval history.  The White Knight of Gaunnes were reputed to have been founded by one of the Knights of the Round Table, Sir Elyan the White, hence their name.”

“Certainly I have heard of Sir Elyan the White.  He was the last King of Gaunnes,” replied a serious faced Bors.  “I have heard of the black knight, the green knight, the blue knight and the red knight, but I have not heard of the white knights you mentioned.  But from what I know of Sir Elyan the White, it would not surprise me to learn that he would have founded a secret organisation intended to aid the helpless.”

Geoffrey noted that Bors’ face gave no indication that this conversation was anything other than a discussion of long dead history.  “I am sorry I cannot talk further at this moment but I would like to continue this conversation soon, if I may?” he responded.

“Of course.  You know where to find me.  Call on us if we can help,’ said Bors.

“Thank you.”  Geoffrey hurried into the hospital trying to put aside that conversation so he could focus on whatever it was that Agnes needed.  Before he could go down to the ICU, he met Dustin Langerak and Anja Svard who were also waiting for a lift. 

“Oh good, Dr Landgraab,” said Dustin, “I wanted to let you know that the structural engineer we got in from Bridgeport has given us the all clear on everything, except the number 2 water tower on the HVAC system.  We’ve drained it already, so now Anja and I are just going up to the roof to check it out.  I’ve got a maintenance crew in on the second floor fixing the site and removing the autoclave.  We could have that floor open again within a week to ten days depending on whether I can get another good second-hand autoclave or we have to source a new one.”

“Thanks Dustin, I appreciate the extra effort you’ve made.  Ms Svard, how is it all going?”

“Excellent Dr Landgraab,” enthused Anja.  “Dustin is a genius with anything mechanical.  I’m having a ball.”  Their lift arrived first so Anja and Dustin departed leaving Geoffrey to smile at how the happily married chief engineer was obviously enjoying the praise of a beautiful ex-supermodel.

On seeing Dr Landgraab outside the ICU door, Agnes rushed out to him and began talking breathlessly, “There was a man in there with her!  I swear I don’t know how he got in but he did!  He did something to the lock on the door.  Then the ICU glowed and the next moment he’s gone and Morgana is sitting up in bed!” 

Geoffrey looked at Agnes as if she had gone quite mad.  She was clearly flustered, her pupils dilated and her face flushed.

“I’m not crazy, Dr Landgraab.  Come and see for yourself!” she exclaimed.  “The bandages are gone, the tubes have been taken out and the monitors are turned off.  She’s alive.  She’s not a ghost.  She’s really alive.”

“Have you spoken to her or taken any obs?”

“He locked the door!”

Dr Landgraab looked through the window of the ICU and saw that Morgana was indeed sitting on the bed casually rocking to and fro as if daydreaming.  She looked as she had always done so but without her trademark long hair.  It had been partially shaved for the surgery and now looked rather cute in a pixie-like haircut.

Astonished beyond belief, Geoffrey tried the door which opened to his touch.  He then scrubbed up and cautiously entered the room.  Morgana seemed totally unaware of his approach.  “How do you feel?” he asked Morgana softly as he helped her lie down on the bed.  He began taking the routine obs.

As Morgana turned to face him, Geoffrey noted her pupils were tiny pinpricks in her wide blue eyes.  “I’m fine.  Sort of.  Actually I have such a rotten headache but I’m fine.  How did I end up here?” asked a bewildered Morgana.  Before Geoffrey could answer, she continued her words rushing together almost like nonsense, “Oh that’s right, the explosion.  How is Ian?  Oh gosh I feel awful.  I feel like my head is stuffed with a swarm of bees.  Was my brother just here? I swear I thought I heard his voice.”

“Galeas?” Geoffrey asked as he flicked his light in her eyes noting her abnormal reflexes.

“No not Galeas, Lance.  I am certain he was here!”

“I didn’t see him.  Agnes might have.”  Geoffrey looked at Agnes who had poked her head around the door but wouldn’t come in.  “Agnes, please describe the man you saw in here.”

“Young.  Gorgeous.”  Geoffrey rolled his eyes.  “Sort of strawberry blond hair, white shirt, cream sweater vest and blue jeans.  Oh, and the bluest eyes you’ve ever seen.”

Agnes’s description of Morgana’s saviour momentarily stunned Geoffrey as it coincided almost word for word of another description: that of a number of unknown saviours from the White Knights of Gaunnes records.  Always described the same throughout the ages; a ginger-haired young man with startling blue eyes appears at the West Almandy Manor House with someone who needs help or to provide them with information or help.  They were simply called ‘The Saviours’.  It was the hope of many an Almandy heir to be honoured by a visit from one of the Saviours.

But the saviours were always dressed in a Knight of the Round table’s tunic not blue jeans.  One well documented account that particularly intrigued Geoffrey was in 1483AD.  A young ginger-haired knight with blue eyes arrived with two young boys who were going to be executed.  The boys grew up in the Almandy household and later served with the White Knights of Gaunnes.  The boys described how the mysterious man appears and disappears after touching a band on his wrist.  Geoffrey’s own research led him to believe those boys were the young princes of Edward IV who disappeared from the Tower of London and were believed by most to have been murdered by their uncle Richard III.  For the first time, Geoffrey wondered if the mysterious saviours could have always been the same man.  Geoffrey Landgraab shook his head to clear his mind so he could catch Morgana’s words which were slurred like an old gramophone record winding down.

“That’s Lance,” Morgana said noticeably struggling to phrase her words.  “I miss them all so much.  I wish...” Morgana fell asleep mid sentence.  Geoffrey Landgraab, continued doing his observations and recorded that her temperature was slightly elevated and her blood pressure and heart rate quite high. 

He then checked over her body carefully, trying not to disturb her sleep.  Both cannulars in her arms had been removed but he could not find the marks left by the needles, nor the telltale bruising where they had been.  Next he cautiously checked Morgana’s head but could not find any scar tissue.  Brain surgery always creates noticeably lumpy scar tissue, but Geoffrey felt none.  He knew the exact site on her head where the staples had been but there was no ridge or even a puncture wound on the delicate skin.  Only the iodine stain showed where the wound had been.  The part of her scalp which had been shaved bare was now covered with about an inch of hair which logically should have taken two months to grow.  It was as if the surgery had never happened.  Moreover, the scar she had on her left shoulder from an incident the previous month in ER was also gone.  Geoffrey wondered if he sent her for an x-ray would he find remodelling along the incision line.  In the end he decided he didn’t want that evidence on her medical record, which could make its way into the wrong hands.

As Dr Landgraab checked Morgana over, Agnes noticed Morgana’s hands and feet were blue with cold and softly massaged them until the blood flow warmed them.  Together they tucked her back into bed, reattached some of the monitors and left the room.

“What happened?” Agnes asked as they watched her through the window.  “I really thought we were losing her.  Who was that man and what did he do?”

“The man appears to have been her younger brother Lance.  But I honestly have no idea what he did.  Tell me everything you saw.”

“I looked up when the monitors went blank.  He was disconnecting her from everything.  He shut down the drips and removed the cannulars.  He disconnected and removed the ventilator - very expert at it too.  I mean that he obviously knew his way around the equipment.  Then he took off all her bandages and used something like a small torch to remove the metal staples in her scalp.” From his position, Geoffrey could see the staples still on the floor as Agnes continued once again becoming agitated in her speech.  “I was pounding on the door and would have called security but I know you didn’t want anyone else in there, so I rang you.”

“Tell me about the glow you saw.”

“It was all kind of sparkly, like a swarm of thousands of small white fireflies all over Morgana and partially on him too.  When the fireflies more or less faded away, Morgana was no longer under the covers.”

“Then what happened?

“After the fireflies faded, he said something to Morgana and kissed her on the cheek.  He picked up her bandages and then pressed a button on his watch and just disappeared like he had never been here.”

Geoffrey tried not to gape as he processed Agnes’s words.  “Did he say anything?”

“Not to me, but he winked at me and waved just before he left.  You know... like a goodbye wave,” replied a shaken Agnes.  “How on earth are we going to write this up?”

“You write up that Morgana briefly came to and record her obs.  Make no mention on the record about Lance and what he did.  The record must never show that he was here.  Then we’ll just play it by ear.  You write that up and I’ll stay in here for the night.”

“Aren’t you going to tell her family she is alright?”

“When I am certain she is, of course I will.  But she may have all the physical effects of brain surgery but without the visible scars.  You saw how her mind was erratic and her speech slurred.  We’ll watch her tonight and see how she feels when she next comes to.”

“If someone has the technology to do what he did, why are we wrecking ourselves doing 36 hour shifts when he can cure everything with his fireflies?”

“I don’t have the answers anymore than you do Agnes.  I believe we’ve just received a gift from the heavens.  Let’s not look beyond that.  I don’t think you should write about this in those memoirs you're writing.  Everyone will think you’ve slipped a few cogs.  Besides if everything was easy, how would we grow as a people if there were no adversities?

“Well I think I could handle it pretty well,” responded Agnes thinking of her late husband and wondering where the guy with the fireflies had been that afternoon?

“I don’t know,” responded Geoffrey.  “I don’t think life was meant to be simple.  We learn so much about ourselves and others from how they and we handle misfortune and hardship.”

“You sound like an inspirational quotes page.  I...” Agnes never finished her sentence as another explosion rocked the hospital.

After his jog around the block, Bors was about to enter the Condor Museum Lofts when he heard the blast.  He turned towards the hospital but the explosion appeared to be on the roof and he couldn’t see that part of the structure from the ground.  All he could see was a large fireball brightly illuminating the heavily clouded night sky.

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #191 on: June 20, 2014, 09:09:24 AM »
Ack! Just when you think that everything is about to get better something else happens. Oh gosh...I hope that Anja and Dustin are all right...

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #192 on: June 20, 2014, 04:04:13 PM »
0.0 Oh my Watcher!  So much happening! 

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 36 - Negotiations
« Reply #193 on: June 29, 2014, 01:13:21 AM »
Lady of the Lake:  Chapter 36 – Negotiations

Bors was shocked at the size of the fireball soaring into the night sky.  Clearly the saboteurs hadn’t given up.  Bors ran back to the hospital with an urgency propelled by the realisation that his daughter was somewhere in there.

“My daughter is a patient in here!” Bors told the hospital security guard.

“I’m sorry sir.  We can’t allow anybody to enter.  We have to evacuate the hospital and we’ll need everyone to stay well back.”  The security guard then addressed the quickly assembled crowd.  “Please ladies and gentlemen, move across the road to the museum to evacuation assembly point B.  We don’t want any injuries to you and I’m sure you don’t want to impede the evacuation of patients should that be needed.  We will get news to you about your loved ones as soon as we can.”

Bors walked reluctantly across the road looking for the assembly point.  As he walked he could see vividly the shared anxiety in the faces around him.   He had barely reached the assembly point when someone tapped him on the shoulder.  It was Lance.  Bors was delighted to see him and hugged his son.  “Thank heavens you’re here and safe.  I’m worried about this fire and whether it will affect Morgana’s recovery.”

“I doubt that fire will affect Morgana’s recovery.  I dropped in to see Morgana a little while ago and gave her a gift from the Chula to help her get better.  Then I went to see the family.”

“I’ve been so worried about her.  Is she going to recover?” Bors asked, sceptical of her chances of recovery judging from Dr Landgraab’s careful choice of words earlier.

Lance drew his father to one side away from the crowd.  “Of course.  The Chula manufacture the best nanogenes in the universe,” replied Lance.  “I was talking with Galeas while you were out when we heard the explosion.  He told me all about the problems with the hospital.  Dad, that fireball seems to be mostly show not substance.  There’s not enough heat in it for starters.  But see all those paparazzi snapping pictures.  That’s what it’s all about.  Whatever reason this group of villains has for taking over the hospital, they won’t destroy it except superficially, because they want it.  They’re only destroying its reputation and unfortunately probably killing a few patients and staff in the process.  I want to help you and Dr Landgraab resolve this issue without more bloodshed.”

“Great!  We could use your unique skills.  Have you heard of the White Knights of Gaunnes?”

“Of course,” Lance nodded, “Did I forget to mention that?  Sorry.  I met Elyan while he was Emperor of Constantinople.  I didn’t tell him who I was at first but he guessed.”

“You didn’t cause a time paradox did you?”

“No, nothing like that!  He merely said that I have my mother’s eyes, but my bone structure was all from my father.  Given that he was the spitting image of what you will look like in your old age, I guess it was obvious now that he’d know his own brother.  For the benefit of the other courtiers, we agreed I would be known as the son of Abbot Owen from the House of Gaunnes.”

“How was Elyan?”

“Still feisty and a very shrewd operator.  He upheld the Pentecostal code to the end.  I am both proud and humbled to be his brother.  I’d like to think I might become that wise in time.  Of course I’ve got all the time in the universe to develop that kind of wisdom.  Although I am thankful you left your Knight’s tunic in the TARDIS.  It avoids a lot of convoluted explanations.  Anyway, I suggested to Elyan that since his wife was infertile and he refused to take another, he could leave a different legacy.  He wanted to see the continuance of the brave chivalrous knights who could give hope to the helpless and wherever practicable, right wrongs.  So we came up with the White Knights of Gaunnes.  Sir Aeron swore an oath to keep the White Knights’ secret and continue the line.  So what have the White Knights to do with this?”

“It seems that Dr Landgraab, the senior surgeon here, is somehow connected with them as they may be helping him with some of the problems here.  We’re not going to cause a time paradox by being here are we?  I think Dr Landgraab suspects something but he seems to be having trouble logically reconciling what he’s seeing with what he thinks he knows.”

“What makes you think Dr Landgraab is connected to the White Knights?”

“Well, the artefacts he keeps in his office for a start.  There’s a tapestry in his office that is a duplicate of one stitched by my mother which hung in my bedroom in Gaunnes Castle.  He has a goblet, a bowl and a tankard that are either replicas or the originals from a set King Arthur gave me when I joined the Round Table.”

“That sounds like he’s connected.  The real artefacts are in a secret chamber in the West Almandy Manor House.  Each generation of White Knights are given replicas of that set so they will know one another.  However, each direct descendant from Sir Aeron wears a copy of the ring you gave him when Abbot Owen inducted him into the House of Gaunnes.  Does he wear the ring or just have the Pendragon objects?”

“I’ve only seen the objects but a surgeon wouldn’t wear the ring, would he?  He’d have to take it off every time he scrubbed up.  How is it that the Manor House still stands?”

“Sir Aeron’s heirs maintain the house through a direct line of descendants.  Anyway, the Manor House is no longer such an imposing house.  You should have seen how grandiose the French chateaux became during the Renaissance.  Outwardly the Almandy family are simple nectar makers and horse breeders.  They keep their wealth hidden because the Almandy line knows the importance of keeping a very very low profile... and... I might have dropped in on them a few times and helped them develop a rather convincing cloaking device which makes most of the area look like an impenetrable swamp.”

“Why don’t they just flood the moat, it turns the soil there into quicksand.”

“They do that too if needed as part of the camouflage.  But with Google Earth now they’ve had to go more high tech.  Okay, so your Dr Landgraab is connected to the White Knights of Gaunnes and they’re helping him try to defeat this hostile takeover.  Who else has he got helping him thwart these villains?”

“There’s an OSHA investigator who wants to be involved and us.  That’s all I think. Dr Landgraab doesn’t know who else to trust.”

“That seems reasonable.  So where do you think we should go from here?” Lance asked as a light rain began falling.

“Someone will have to negotiate with the only people we know for certain are involved: the local criminal element which has 51% of the hospital shares through a series of obscure shell companies and share vote proxies.  We need to know what it will take to stop these senseless attacks on the hospital or better yet, what it will take for them to sell their majority shares because there is no way the authorities will allow them to take control of a large regional hospital.”

“Negotiation is always a wise move,” agreed Lance.  “However, I think if this criminal organisation is so powerful, they are likely to be astute enough to have the relevant authorities in their pockets.  Okay, perhaps we should send your Dr Landgraab in to negotiate because he knows these people.  But he doesn’t go in without backup and we are going to need a fall back plan.  Speaking of the good doctor, this might be him coming towards us now.”

Bors turned around and watched as Dr Landgraab addressed the assembled crowd.  “First of all ladies and gentlemen, thank you for your cooperation.  I can advise you that all hospital patients are safe; and as yet, all patient care has not been compromised.  As far as we can tell at present, the explosion appears to have damaged the roof and caused further damage to the second floor which has been unoccupied since Wednesday’s explosion.  However, this explosion has disabled the main power supply.  We have a backup supply for a limited time.  But until structural engineers approve the further occupancy of the building and full power is restored, all patients in a non-critical condition will be discharged as outpatients.  All critical patients will be evacuated to Bridgeport.  Please check with Dr Jolina for the health care requirements of your friends and family.  Thank you.”

On seeing Bors and Lance, Dr Landgraad came over to them.  “Hello again Bors.  And you must be Lancelot,” Geoffrey said, turning to Lance.  “I am very pleased to meet you.  I hope someday, you can share with me your treatment methods for Morgana?  But unfortunately I have more pressing matters.”  Dr Landgraab turned back to Bors.  “Some of the staff are unaccounted for and I must see to the evacuation of the patients.  I could be a while but after that, I feel it is imperative we talk further.  May I come to Condor Museum Lofts after I have finished here?” 

“Certainly,” replied Bors.  “I will be waiting for you however long it takes.”  Before Geoffrey Landgraab could even turn around, he saw Lance take a slim cylindrical object from his pocket and point it at the hospital.  It looked like a torch but emitted a faint sound not unlike his computer scanner.  Geoffrey wondered briefly if that was the instrument Agnes said Lance used to remove Morgana’s skull staples.

“Okay, so you have four bodies with strong heartbeats on the second floor fairly close to the building core,” Lance said.  “They are crouching, so they might be under a bench or something similar.  They appear basically unharmed.  Then there are two more bodies on the roof in what could be a plant room.  They are still alive but fading fast.  Your search and rescue people won’t get to the roof in time.  I’ll take care of those two on the roof if you get your paramedics to the four people in the second floor.”  Before Geoffrey Landgraab could formulate a reply, Lance pressed a button on his watch and just vanished.

Geoffrey knew better than to waste time asking for explanations and ran back to the hospital to direct the search and rescue team, then to oversee the patient evacuation.  Bors returned to the Condor Museum Lofts to find a better vantage point to observe the hospital roof.  But unfortunately he couldn’t see much detail from the balcony.  Valerie soon joined her husband on the balcony.  He told her everything as together they stood watching the fireball on the hospital roof slowly extinguish.

Soon Lance appeared beside them.  “Did you get them out?” asked Valerie hugging her son.

“I did.  The guy must have thrown himself over the woman to protect her from the falling debris.  I only had enough nanogenes left to fix his fractured vertebrae and severed spine.  The rest will have to heal normally.  The woman was slowly being asphyxiated by his weight and the smoke but I’m sure she will be okay.

“How did you get them out?”

In response Lance pulled out what appeared to be some sort of gun.  “You’ve got to hand it to Jack.  His sonic blaster sure comes in handy sometimes.  It can vaporise anything not living.”  Lance hastily put the blaster away as Galeas and Ginny joined them.

“The twins are asleep again,” said Ginny.  “What happened?”

Bors told them all that had occurred, except for leaving out Lance’s role in the events of the evening.  The duGaunnes continued to watch the activity at the hospital as a series of helicopters landed and departed to evacuate the critical care patients.  Eventually they saw Dr Landgrab come out of the hospital with a patient in a wheelchair and proceed to wheel towards the Condor Museum lofts.

“Could that be Morgana in the wheel chair,” enquired Galeas.  “Well let’s find out,” responded Bors, as they all rushed downstairs.

“Hello again,” said Dr Landgraab.  “I can’t seem to get hold of Thornton.  He’s not answering his phone.  Perhaps he’s sleeping off a sleeping pill.  Anyway, I know you will take excellent care of Morgana.”  In the surreal light cast by the flashing lights of emergency vehicles, Bors hadn’t recognised his daughter in the wheelchair without her long hair or wings.  Dr Landgraab handed over a folder. “Here are her care requirements.  She’s awake at the moment but not really aware of her surroundings.  Her attention span is very limited.  She needs to sleep so just put her to bed.  “I’ll be back soon to check on her condition and perhaps then Bors, we could have our talk”.  Bors nodded in response.  “Oh, and one other thing,” Dr Landgraab added. “Could I impose on your goodwill a little more?” 

“Sure, how can we help?” responded Valerie.

“I need someone to temporarily look after Anja.  She is lucid and says she will be fine on her own but I can’t allow that.  I’m sure she has a few broken ribs and a nasty bump on the head but without an x-ray I can’t be sure.  Can you care for her for a little while too?”

“We’d be delighted to look after Anja,” Valerie assured Dr Landgraab. “How was she hurt?”

“She was inspecting the roof plant room with the chief engineer when the explosion occurred.  She has suffered some smoke inhalation damage as well, so don’t let her talk too much.  I’ll be back soon.

“Dr Landgraab.”  Galeas said.  “Can I help you?  I could bring Anja here?  That will free up some of your time.”

“Thank you Galeas.  I’d appreciate that.”  As Galeas and the doctor departed, Bors carried Morgana up to bed with an anxious Ginny following in their wake. 

Valerie turned to Lance. “I think Galeas has found a girl he could love,” she said.

“Spoilers Mum!”

“Hmph!” Valerie sighed.  “So tell me Lancelot Elyan duGaunnes, are you dating anyone yet?  Or are you going to waste your life racing all over the universe?  You were conceived to repopulate the Time Lords.  When are you going to start repopulating!”

“Mum, I’m not yet a fully fledged Time Lord.  I don’t even have a TARDIS of my own.  I’m still using a vortex manipulator.  Believe me mum, when the time is right, I will know it.  In the meantime, there is such a lot to do and so much more to learn.  I’ll go check on Morgana.”

Before long Galeas was back with a very bruised and battered Anja, her smart clothing ripped and spattered with blood.  Ginny had made her a hot toddy to help soothe Anja’s throat as Valerie helped her shower. Anja declined the offer of a nightie saying she always kept spare underwear in her briefcase.  Valerie blushed as Anja sat beside her anxious to talk.  In her raw smoky voice Anja told Valerie about her rescue despite Dr Landgraab’s caution not to talk. 

“Mr Langerak, Dustin, threw himself on top of me to shield me from the debris but then he found he couldn’t move because of the rubble that fell on us.  I tried to move what rubble I could reach off him but somehow I must have triggered a girder falling across his shoulders.  It was awful.  There was blood everywhere and he couldn’t move his arms anymore.  I thought I’d killed him, but he must have only lost consciousness.  I was so relieved when I realised I could still feel his heartbeat.  But I couldn’t move or breathe all that much.  I didn’t know what was going to get me first: the flames, the smoke or positional asphyxiation.” 

Anja took a sip of the honey and lemon tea Ginny had made for her before continuing.  “I thought I was dying when I felt Dustin’s weight lifted off me.  I’m sure I saw someone leaning over Dustin covering him in something that looked like fireflies or maybe I was just hallucinating from lack of oxygen.  Then I saw him.”  Anja paused in her narrative and looked at Valerie in wonder.

“It was the same ginger haired, cornflower blue eyed knight who’d rescued my grandfather during the war.  My grandfather was a painter and he must have painted over a hundred portraits of that man.  I know that face so well.  Grandfather always painted his saviour in a knight’s tunic complete with chainmail and sword.  But my saviour was wearing jeans and a sweater vest.  Do you think there are such things as guardian angels?”

“I think there are too many unexplained things in this life to ever positively rule out anything,” answered Valerie.

“So you don’t think I’m crazy?”

“Not in the least,” replied Valerie.  “What was that quote, ‘There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in our philosophy’?  I’ve seen things I couldn’t ever begin to explain.  A guardian angel is illogical only to those who’ve never looked beyond the possible.”

“I like you,” Anja said, her husky voice now little more than a whisper.

“I like you too Anja.  When all this is over, perhaps you’d like to visit with us for a time in Dragon Valley.”  Anja nodded.  As Valerie tucked Anja into the bed, making her drain the tea to help ease her aching throat, Valerie reconciled herself to having at least one daughter-in-law.  Lance was right; he still had so much more to do. 

Arriving downstairs Valerie asked Ginny to sleep in the same room as the twins leaving Morgana and Anja to share the two single beds.

Remembering the double bed he did not particularly want to share with Lance, Galeas opted to stretch out on the sofa so he could watch over their patients while Bors, Valerie and Lance waited for Dr Landgraab to finish his duties and join them.  Expecting the doctor to be tired and distressed, Valerie prepared some drinks to help him through the ordeal he was facing.  But all were amazed at the resilience Dr Landgraab showed when he again arrived at their door.

Bors informed Dr Landgraab of the plan to negotiate with the criminals at the Outstanding Citizens’ Warehouse.  Collectively they worked out their fall back plan.  Geoffrey decided he should begin the negotiations immediately, even though it was very late.  Valerie volunteered to go as his backup and Lance offered to go too.  Geoffrey looked at Bors, whom he had expected would volunteer to go.  Bors shrugged and said, “You need to keep a few aces up your sleeve.  They will be expecting you and you don’t want to show them all your cards just yet.  Besides, Valerie looks harmless but don’t underestimate her.  She’s really annoyed that someone hurt our daughter and Anja.”

So the trio drove over to the warehouse.  Geoffrey and Valerie entered the back entrance while Lance watched from the adjacent lot.  After less than ten minutes, they walked out of the warehouse, Geoffrey’s shoulders hunched and Valerie deep in thought.  Taking in the dejected doctor’s bearing; Lance raised an eyebrow at his mother, who numbly shook her head.  Silently the trio returned to the Condor Museum Lofts.  Hesitantly, Geoffrey told Bors and Lance of the criminals’ demands.

“I’m sorry but it seems I’m out of my league as a negotiator.  They demand that the townies give them their shares, not the proxies, but the actual shares.  If we don’t comply with their demands, they’ll say they will stop at nothing and will sabotage the hospital when we least expect it.  I countered their demands and told them we would pay the §26million for their shares.  They say they are not prepared to sell their 51%.  So I went straight to our fall back plan and offered them double the money.  They said that offer was for the SEC benefit only.  They never intended to sell their shares.  It seems it’s all or nothing and I’m fresh out of ideas.”

“The negotiations were only our opening gambit.  If you feel this is out of your league, you have to find a law enforcement agency you do trust.” Bors advised.

Geoffrey shook his head, “there’s no one on this continent that I trust more than you, so I’m begging you Sir Bors and Lancelot, please save my hospital!”

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 36 - Negotiations
« Reply #194 on: June 29, 2014, 03:03:42 AM »
Oh my Watcher!  Another fantastic chapter!  I'm on the edge of my seat, waiting to see this all play out!  I about fell outta my chair when Valerie asked Lance when he'd be repopulating the Time Lords!