Author Topic: The Magical World: Chapter 79 – The Queen, The Rabbit, and the Boys in Shadow  (Read 149186 times)

Offline melancholy_anju

• Occult
Re: The Magical World: Side Story #1 - Benevolence (Part 2)
« Reply #270 on: April 15, 2014, 03:49:10 AM »
Oh my!  What new adventures lie in store for both Ravenna and Snow.  Great writing as always Mel!
Thanks lol. I'll see what kind of trouble I can get everyone into.  ;)
I was actually working on the first chapter of Ariel's arc when I got this comment.

Offline melancholy_anju

• Occult
The Magical World: Chapter 46 - In Between Worlds
« Reply #271 on: April 15, 2014, 04:21:49 AM »
“Hello, do you have any spa services available here?” “Yes mam. There are a number of spa services that come complimentary with your stay.” My mother clapped her hands together with excitement, “Oh that’s wonderful. Thank you!” My parents had decided to spend a few weeks at a resort for their honeymoon. As it was located in Isla Paradiso, they wouldn’t be too far from me.

Speaking of myself, my dad’s phone went off while they were eating lunch, “Hello?” “Daddy, you’re coming home soon right?” A tiny pain tugged at his heart as he fully understood my concerns, “Of course sweetheart. We’ll be home in a few more days.” He heard my tone brighten significantly, “Great! Grandma and grandpa sent me tons of stuff from their travels that I have to show you. You’re going to love it!” “Ok I’ll look forward to it,” he smiled. “Bye daddy!” “Bye sweetheart.”

A couple of days later my dad found my mom on the patio of their suite waiting for him. Apparently she had got all the signs that she was expecting a child, and was ready to tell him the good news. Naturally he was ecstatic to have more children. So there the young couple laid that night basking in their felicity. And miles away tucked safely into bed, I never thought that this night was when the decline of my quiet life began. 

It started with the twins, Tristian and Trinity. No problem there. I even took to helping out with them where I could. But the added bodies in the house did make things a bit hectic sometimes, especially when the two learned to talk. Trinity didn’t say much, just clung to my father like glue. Tristian, however, would go on and on. He was the most happy go lucky kid ever.

However, despite all the craziness my parents still found time to be all over each other. And it wasn’t long before my mom was announcing another pregnancy to my dad, which he of course took in stride. But it looked like even another pregnancy wasn’t going to slow them down from being all lovey dovey. So another home birth later and the unthinkable happened…quadruplets.

Aurelius and Aurelia came out one after the other, and were more like one person than two separate beings. They were followed by the bright and beaming Aurora. Last to come was the ever perfect Athena, named after my biological mother. With the birth of those four, the grand total of children was now a whopping seven! Great barnacles! The quads had a great love for dance when they were very small, and often put on musical numbers for us. It was adorable.

Aurelius and Aurelia, or Rey and Rea, had fiercely pursued their love of dance, becoming dance partners, and entering every competition they could find. They were both perfectionist, and would practice long hours to make sure everything was done flawlessly. It was a little unsettling to see such determination in kids so young. Aurora, on the other hand, was a total free spirit. She woke up at the crack of dawn, talked to the birds, and painted pictures of landscapes. Her plan was to save the world one day. How? Well about that I’m not quite sure. As for Athena, she was unnaturally gifted at everything she attempted. She excelled in school, singing, ballet, piano, chess, swimming, and anything she thought would make her a well-rounded individual. She already had hopes of going to a prestigious university.

At least that bunch had vision. The twins, on that score, worried me. When they were younger even though all they did was either play around outside, or play video games inside that was ok. I mean that’s what kids are supposed to do. But Tristian…all he wants to do is swim. He hardly even does school work, but enough to stay on the swim team. I know I’m not really one to talk, but there is more to life than water. He is the vice-captain of the swim team at school, I’m sure he sleeps with swim trunks on, and he definitely always has a pair under every outfit.

We used to go swimming together, but we can’t anymore because he gets so angry that I can breathe underwater. Once he tried to mimic me and nearly drowned himself! Sometimes I watch him sit for extended periods of time on the floor of our pool just practicing. He keeps asking me if there is a way for him to be a merman, and to be honest I did get my hands on a piece of mermadic kelp. But I know my mom just got over the idea of me being one, so I just…
*sigh*

Then you have Trinity. She was always quite the tomboy while growing up. But she also had a very reserved nature. I think that it is why we got along so well, and for a while we were quite close. Somewhere along the way she just shut me out though, and became really cold towards me. I tried to just chalk it up to teenage hormones, or ‘snubbing’ but I had to admit it hurt to lose a dear friend and a sister no less. She took to working out, practicing hunting with a bow, and going for runs in the middle of the night. It was all very odd.

As for me, well if my nose wasn’t in a book than I was in the ocean. I was a mermaid after all. There was nothing like the freedom I felt while gliding through the waves and diving to the deepest depths of the sea. Here I could truly be myself, and not have to hide. I often swam with the fishes and pondered at how I was like them but not like them at the same time. It was the same with the humans on land. I was a being not truly belonging in either world, but the ocean was more than one world. It was a world under a world, more like bits and pieces of many worlds. I marveled at all the ancient structures and treasures that I found.

However, when I told my dad about my adventures into the depths of the ocean he became furious. He told me it was too dangerous to go wandering about like that on my own, that I had no idea what kind of creatures could have been lurking about, and that I was never to go diving again. Things between my dad and I had been rough since I came to live with him. I know he felt guilty about leaving me behind all those years ago, and it caused him to be super overprotective of me. But honestly I was just glad we were together now, besides I needed him to see I had an adventurous heart that refused to be tamed. I dreamed of seeing faraway places, and studied the artifacts I found in the ocean all the time. Eventually I got him to come around, and we actually began to bond a lot over my findings. Little did I know, as I was building bridges in one direction, I was simultaneously burning them in the opposite direction.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Magical World: Chapter 46 - In Between Worlds
« Reply #272 on: April 15, 2014, 06:07:32 AM »
Ariel is so sweet.  I'm astonished at quads!   :o  Snow and Triton really do have a handful don't they!  Trinity reminds me of another non-magical character so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  The children are all growing up so fast so I can't help but wonder while all this was happening, did Ravenna and Ayden get together?
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline melancholy_anju

• Occult
« Reply #273 on: April 15, 2014, 07:32:09 AM »
Ariel is so sweet.  I'm astonished at quads!   :o  Snow and Triton really do have a handful don't they!  Trinity reminds me of another non-magical character so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  The children are all growing up so fast so I can't help but wonder while all this was happening, did Ravenna and Ayden get together?
Yeah I adore her lol.
And I was shocked too! Imagine my surprise when after the third baby the message popped up and said you have another baby girl. Sebastian and Triton's pictures disappeared in place of the new children, and I couldn't control them. It was a mess.
 :( I'm wracking my brain right now trying to figure out who she reminds you of. I confess myself quite curious.
As for those two, although you won't see them again for quite some time, you will see them again. So hopefully all questions will be answered then.  ;)

JessieJJJ

« Reply #274 on: April 15, 2014, 10:10:34 AM »
I'm a silent reader here  8) Those kids must have been a handful as babies AND having the other set of twins! I'm wondering how you did it, I looked it up, but it was all myths  :( I have a sim doing a 100 baby challenge with one father, so this would help immensely!

Offline melancholy_anju

• Occult
« Reply #275 on: April 15, 2014, 09:15:08 PM »
I'm a silent reader here  8) Those kids must have been a handful as babies AND having the other set of twins! I'm wondering how you did it, I looked it up, but it was all myths  :( I have a sim doing a 100 baby challenge with one father, so this would help immensely!
Well hi there! And yes they nearly drove me nuts lol.
Hm I'm not sure on your question though. Are you asking how I managed to end up with quads or how I juggled so many children? If the first, that would be the accidental effect of not fully understanding the master controller mod, and if the second I had poor Snow keep them on a very strict schedule. I always tended to the children in exactly the same order, only ate apples or grapes for meals and only showered with the shower-in-a-can so I didn't have to tread too far, and made firm use of the rocking chair if I wasn't training someone. Hope that helps!  :)

Offline melancholy_anju

• Occult
The Magical World: Chapter 47 – Here Comes the Rain
« Reply #276 on: April 18, 2014, 05:04:02 AM »
Athena

“Effacé, change to plié, grand plié, full port de bras forward, full port de bras back…” Rory and I walked in on the dancing duo’s warm-up routine. After watching them in admiration for a moment I finally chimed up, “Guys, it’s time to practice.” “We are practicing,” Rey remarked snidely without bothering to stop. Growing weary of these exchanges, I rubbed my temple, “You know exactly which type of practice I speak of. This is the only time we can do it without raising suspicion. We made an oath.” Stubbornly he continued warming up, but I could visibly see the gears churning in his head. Rea, thankfully, at my words had stopped and was looking at him expectantly. That, it seems, was finally enough to sway him, “Oh alright! But we have to finish with enough time for Rea and I to complete our dance practice.” Rea ruffled his hair, “Don’t be such a worrywart!” We all laughed as Rey frantically smoothed his hair back into place, a slow smile creeping on his face finally.

Ariel

I think I’m cursed. Cursed to be a being trapped between worlds, never truly belonging anywhere. Cursed to have this body that I have to hide away from my peers, and that refuses to make contact with anyone out of the most absurd fear. And cursed to sit helplessly afar, always afar, and watch as the one I love is loved by another. But I am getting ahead of myself here. I guess I should just start from the moment I knew I was doomed…

The ocean had always brought me many treasures, particularly when the seas were rough, but none quite nearly as special as it did that day. I remember being really happy, watching the waves crash against the rocks. I laughed as the resulting spray of water reminded me of the first droplets of an incoming rainstorm. Lately I had been swimming with the dolphins, I found myself learning a lot from the mastery of their swimming techniques. I was mimicking one of the flips I learned when I saw him.

His name was Eric, and he was captain of my brother’s swim team. At school he was almost always either surrounded by a group of friends or girls trying to get his attention. As I made it my business to avoid crowds at all costs our paths had never crossed before, but there he was windsurfing. He was gorgeous… A sudden spray of water jolted me from out of my wandering thoughts, and I suddenly realized he was awfully far from the shore. In fact I chose to swim out here, for the simple reason that no one would see me here.

It was then that I noticed, to my great horror, that he was quickly losing control of his windsurfing board. And with one giant flip he went crashing into the ocean! I raced over towards him while looking for any signs that he had resurfaced, but there was no trace of him. I suspected he must have hit his head on the board on the way down, because I knew him to be an excellent swimmer. Never more grateful to be a mermaid, I reached the spot he went down at in seconds. Not seeing him still, I dove under, and thankfully spotted him sinking towards the bottom.

With a bit of a struggle, I managed to drag him to a nearby island, and began to check if he was breathing when he suddenly sat up and spit water out. Clutching his head, he looked at me through squinted eyes as he laid back down, and slowly drifted off. After making sure he was still breathing I started to relax a little. “I should call someone so they can look at that head injury,” I said to no one in particular. Gently brushing the hair off his face I couldn’t help but think about how beautiful he was again. But honestly, what was he thinking coming all the way out here? Was he looking for excitement? An adventure maybe? I wonder if he likes to explore. To this I had to laugh out loud. “To think that the great Eric Prince and I would have something in common. Preposterous.” And yet, I still couldn’t bring myself to move away from him, and instead found a song welling up from inside:

What would I pay to stay here beside you?
What would I do to see you
Smiling at me?
Where would we walk
Where would we run
If we could stay all day in the sun?
Just you and me
And I could be
Part of your world

I don't know when
I don't know how
But I know something's starting right now
Watch and you'll see
Someday I'll be
Part of your world

Not too long after that people arrived on the island to take care of him, and he awoke to find his windsurfing board mysteriously sitting beside him.

I knocked on Trinity’s door…again, “The bus is here you are going to be late! That’s it, I’m coming in.” No sooner had I opened the door, was I flung back, flipped over the foosball table, and slammed head-first into the wall. “You have got to be…” I muttered cradling my head and rubbing my sore muscles. I then looked at the door which had slammed shut in the process, and shook my fist at the inanimate object, “What kind of vitamins have you been taking?! Fine then, be late, and see if I care!” Geez she didn’t have to go as far as throwing her whole body against the door like that. Just when I thought I could get back to my mundane lifestyle.

When I got to school I suddenly had an urge to check on Eric, but it looked like there was no need for concern as he was surrounded by his usual band of drones. Curiously though as I was watching him joke around with his buddies, he suddenly stopped everything, and gave a quizzical stare in my direction. Quickly doing a double take around my vicinity and finding no one standing near me, it dawned on me that he was actually staring at me. So naturally, I backed away slowly until I saw a hallway out the corner of my eye, and bolted.

Escaping said quizzical stare proved to be impossible however. I don’t know how it never occurred to me just how many classes we had together. That would be six! I could barely focus on my schoolwork. I even missed a question on a quiz, earning myself a 95. Athena would be disappointed in me. And you would think I would be safe after school, except Tristian begs me to come to every swim team practice and meet, because he thinks I can enlighten him the best about his swimming form. Though I admit it is amusing to watch Michael and Joel race each other.

I take this time while Eric is distracted to marvel at him. Beyond the fact that he is in amazing shape, his swimming technique is absolutely flawless. It is no wonder he is the captain. I see Tristian look at him with envy sometimes, but I know he greatly admires him as well. Watching Eric swim was more like a masterpiece in motion, every moment perfectly etched into life. Later while going over tips with my brother, I never noticed Eric watching me.

Finally free from swim practice, I was able to enter my true domain in the school which was the library. It was my sanctum sanctorum of sorts. I spent hours here pouring over texts, so when he came in and asked the librarian about me she knew exactly in which direction to send him. “Ariel?” “Yes?” I said without looking up yet, because I just suspected it to be my brother, although it didn’t sound like him. At the thought I finally looked up, and my jaw nearly hit the table, “E-Eric?” I hated the squeak in my voice. He smiled warmly, and gestured to the seat across from me, “May I sit down?” I nodded weakly with wide eyes.

For a while neither one us said anything. In the distance I heard chairs sliding across the floor and bags zipping as people got up to leave the library. Oh how I wished I had the power of teleportation instead of being a mermaid! Finally he cleared his throat, “I suppose I should probably start since I am the one who sought you out,” he chuckled nervously. Was I imagining that? What reason could he possibly have to be nervous? He continued, “Well, you see, the things is…wait, my name is Eric Prince by the way. Oh…you already know that, because you called me that earlier…um…What I wanted to say, or ask rather, is if you would consider tutoring me?”

My eyes nearly popped out of my head, and seeing my reaction he quickly added, “That’s if you have time of course! I know you are probably busy applying for colleges and whatnot.” I shook my head, and tried to keep from slapping myself to make sure I was awake, “I have time. I was just…surprised.” He smiled again and it made me knees go weak, “Great! Tomorrow’s not too soon to start right?” We then went over what subjects he was struggling with, set up a meeting schedule, and exchanged contact information.

In my rush to get out of the library for some air I realized I had forgotten one of my textbooks, so I rushed back inside the school to grab it. Just as I rounded a corner, my heart sank when I found Eric making out with Palmira Medina. In agony I watched as the two clawed at one another, heard the low rumbles of their passionate moans, and felt the cuts as all my hopes shattered like glass around me. Nothing could bring me comfort that night except the thought that maybe the entire day had been a figment of my imagination. But the next day at school as I sat in the restroom stall and listened to Palmira boast away to her friends about how she had finally snagged the hottest guy in school, I knew it was true. I came out long after they had gone, and stared at myself in the mirror. One lone, salty tear made its way down my face and I whispered to myself, “You’re leaking…” 

** I had this song in my head while working on this chapter:
“Here comes the rain again
Falling on my head like a memory
Falling on my head like a new emotion
I want to walk in the open wind
I want to talk like lovers do
I want to dive into your ocean
Is it raining with you

So baby talk to me
Like lovers do
Walk with me
Like lovers do
Talk to me
Like lovers do”

Here Comes The Rain Again by Eurythmics

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Tori-Alice-8D

• Llama Wrangler
    • Follow my Tumblr!
Re: The Magical World: Chapter 47 – Here Comes the Rain
« Reply #277 on: April 18, 2014, 11:19:08 AM »
Oh no!
Woah, seven kids? That is a lot. I'm finding it a tad tricky too keep up with all of the kids and their names, but as long as I can follow the main storyline, this is going great!
Thanks for updating, I look forward to reading on. :D

Please click my dragons!

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #278 on: April 18, 2014, 04:08:29 PM »
Poor Ariel!  Such a sad chapter and so beautifully written. 

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline VioletG

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #279 on: April 18, 2014, 06:02:30 PM »
Oh man ... The Little Mermaid is a favorite of mine. It's such a sad story, I already feel for little Ariel. :(

Offline melancholy_anju

• Occult
« Reply #280 on: April 18, 2014, 07:08:58 PM »
Oh no!
Woah, seven kids? That is a lot. I'm finding it a tad tricky too keep up with all of the kids and their names, but as long as I can follow the main storyline, this is going great!
Thanks for updating, I look forward to reading on. :D
Lol yeah I know they are quite a bit to take in. The main story is what's most important. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Poor Ariel!  Such a sad chapter and so beautifully written.
Thank you. I've been trying to improve my writing lately.

Oh man ... The Little Mermaid is a favorite of mine. It's such a sad story, I already feel for little Ariel. :(
Oh geez then I hope I do a good job lol. It's pretty sad I noticed, hopefully things turn around for Ariel before too long.

Offline melancholy_anju

• Occult
The Magical World: Chapter 48 – Left With Alibis and Lying Eyes
« Reply #281 on: April 25, 2014, 08:54:15 AM »
A few days ago…

Trinity

I scoffed as I stared into the crystal ball, “First she squirms her way into our father’s heart, and now she wants to cozy up next to this guy and play savior?! Not if I can help it…” Perfect Ariel would finally know lose this time. There had to be something. There had to be some way. I searched through texts and dabbled with potions well into the night, but to no avail. I simply couldn’t find anything I thought was suitable, but I couldn’t give up. By morning, exhaustion was setting in and my concentration was shot. “Just one more…” I said as I began to pour a vial of liquid into a potion with a shaky hand.

That’s when I heard someone bang on the door, “Trinity! The bus is here you are going to be late!” In my current state, the banging was enough to startle me, and I dropped the entire vial into the potion, causing it to explode onto my skin and hair. The tyrant who I now recognized as Ariel spoke up again, “That’s it, I’m coming in.” In rage, I used all the power I could muster to throw her back and slam the door. The effort earned me renewed agony and pain from the explosion. I looked down at my hands and saw in horror that my skin was turning purple. I rushed over to the mirror to find that my hair as well changed to a pale white. My mouth hung open as I stood silently screaming, because I refused to let her hear me. Not her…THE ENEMY. “What kind of vitamins have you been taking?! Fine then, be late, and see if I care!” I heard her shout.

I had to get control! I clutched the sides of the mirror, eyes turning bloodshot from the concentration and lack of sleep, and pushed past the pain. I pushed and pushed until my skin and hair were ‘normal’, at least temporarily, and I pushed until I felt nothing but the rage. I stood up straight, absentmindedly touched my hair, glanced over at the clock, and muttered a curse. It was already well after school hours. How long had I been staring in that mirror?

I quickly made my way to the school and spotted Ariel in the library with Eric. Annoyingly, Palmira Medina was in the hall behind me going on and on about boys and nonsense. I had a mind to punch her, but then I had a better idea. When Ariel got up to leave, I cast a spell to remove one of her books from her backpack, and just as she returned to collect it I cast a love spell on Palmira and Eric. I honestly couldn’t stand Palmira, but I’d rather her have him than Ariel. When I got home I handed the ‘lost’ book to Ariel, “What’s wrong? I found your book in the library.” She looked at me with the most satisfyingly, sad eyes, “Oh. It’s nothing…thanks.”

Today

Ariel

My hand began to sweat as I gripped the door handle to the library, “I can do this,” I said quietly to myself. It was the first day I was supposed to start tutoring Eric. Seeing him earlier with Palmira wrapped all over him was difficult, but this should be easier right? At least she wouldn’t be here. I took a deep breath, and finally allowed myself to enter the library. He greeted me with a bright smile, and I cursed myself as my heart did flip-flops. Stay focused on the work I told myself over and over again as he frequently got off topic to talk about swimming or sailing. As this trend continued over the next few weeks, I slowly began to realize that staying focused while he was around was simply impossible. So most times I just found myself swept away in the conversation.

One weekend Tristian came rushing into my room to wake me up. “What? What?” I said rubbing my eyes groggily. “There is going to be a capoeira tournament today that the whole swim team is competing in! You have to come. It’s going to be awesome!” Before I could manage to ask him why I had to go just because they were competing, he had already bounded out the door. I punched the pillow, and begrudgingly got dressed. The competition took place at the beach. Much to my dismay, I spotted Palmira and her posse, Cristobel Collins and Liliana Ichtaca, cheering ridiculously. She was dressed in a leopard print bikini, and kept yelling Eric’s name. I scanned the group of competitors to find him, curious to see his reaction. He smiled back at her and nodded slightly, but when our eyes met he waved enthusiastically and ran over to me.

“Hey! You made it. Tristian told me you would be coming.” I didn’t bother to mention that it wasn’t by choice. “Yeah I heard it was going to be ‘awesome’.” We both laughed at my brother’s overuse of the word. “Why capoeira by the way?” He shrugged his shoulders, “I don’t know. We saw the flyer a couple of months back, and well it seemed like a good idea at the time. You’ll cheer for me right?” “I don’t know,” I said sparing a glance at Palmira who happened to be giving me a death glare, “It seems like you already have a cheering section that you might want to go talk to.” Noticing the glare himself he suddenly looked uneasy, “Oh…yeah. But hang around afterwards ok? I want to hang out some more.” I just nodded my agreement.

Apparently all it took was a kiss to pacify Madame Leopard Print, but I noticed she continued to shoot me dirty looks. Despite that, I actually had a really good time. The matches were really exciting. And more than once I found myself cheering at the top of my lungs for various members of the team. Somehow Eric managed to win the tournament. As he went up to collect his trophy, I shouted his name loudly along with the rest of the crowd, but catching me in the act, he looked at me practically beaming with pride. I just blushed and looked at my feet. After the tournament a ton of people crowded around him. Natural instincts kicking in, I decided I would just see him at our next tutoring session, and thought about going for a swim.

Before I could make it to the docks, however, I heard Eric running after me. “Hey! I’m glad I caught you. Sorry about that. I didn’t expect all those people to want to chat.” I looked around with surprise, “Aren’t you going to celebrate with Palmira?” “Oh she went to hang out with her friends. You want to go for a walk?” I was still confused, but I decided to let it go, “Sure.” We went down by the water, which I made sure not to get in contact with. “So when you aren’t reading, being amazing at school, tutoring me, or at our swim practice…what do you do?” “Swim.” I answered automatically, but then wished I hadn’t. He perked up, “Oh yeah? I guess I should have figured. Tristian did mention that he gets a lot of tips on his swimming technique from you. Hey do you want to go for a swim right now?”

I really did, but I couldn’t risk him seeing what happened if I touched the water. So I shook my head, quickly forming an excuse, “Um…no. I actually didn’t bring a swimsuit.” “Oh I see. Tristian is always wearing his, so I just thought you might be the same,” he laughed and I had to laugh as well, partly because Tristian was like that, and part because I was always prepared to swim as well. As we continued to chat a battle raged between my head and my heart. I knew that it was foolish to have these feelings for someone who was already taken, but I just couldn’t help but be helplessly in love with him.

With graduation rapidly approaching, I found that my coveted library was now full of students suddenly buckling down on last minute studies for finals. Thus…

“And this is my room.” “WHOA!! Is that…the REAL Pangu’s Axe?!” he asked me while staring at it in awe. “Yes. My grandparent’s do a lot of exploring, and they send me relics like that. There’s a picture of them over there.” I pointed to a picture on the wall, but after I saw the puzzled look on his face, I wanted to smack myself for putting my fin in my mouth...again. “Um…is the date wrong on this picture? Why are they so young? You did say grandparents right?” I just laughed awkwardly and waved him off, “Long story.” “Alright…Hey, who are these little guys?”

He went over to admire my pets. Where most people would take their dogs out for walks, I took my hermit crab and fish out for a swim at least three times a week, “This is Sebastian and Flounder. I found them pandering about while diving at Pearl’s Deep, and there was just something about them that I loved.” “Pearl’s Deep has pretty treacherous waters… Nobody dives out there anymore, because it’s too dangerous Ariel.” Coming up blank, I tried to get by with my prior alibi, “Long story?” He crossed his arms, “I’m starting to really like long stories.” I turned away and said firmly, “It’s boring. You did come to study right?” He didn’t answer for a while, and I started to worry that he would leave, but finally I heard him sigh, “Yeah, I did.” He didn’t joke around like he usually did while we studied so I assumed he was upset with me. So when he lingered after we finished I was surprised.

He leaned back against the couch looking around the room, “You really like all this stuff huh? I mean lost treasures, swimming, sailing, diving, and adventuring?” I didn’t know what he was getting at, but I owed him the truth at least here, “Yes. I’ve dreamed of traveling to far off destinations since I was a little girl. To solve all the mysteries of the Chateau du Landgrabb, to make my way down to the tomb of Dong Huo, and maybe even get cursed by him so that I may experience the great healing powers of the Great Sphinx.” To this he laughed. “But to all these great worldly adventures the ocean connects me. When I am in the water I feel like I am connected to all things, even when I don’t necessarily feel like I belong. I guess swimming is--” “--freedom,” we both said at the same time. “See. That wasn’t a boring story. You should tell me more.” I smiled and looked down, “Maybe next time.” “I’ll look forward to it.”

“There,” I said as I spotted a treasure chest that might have what I was looking for. Graduation was tomorrow, and I wanted to get Eric something special. I saw the way he admired the treasures in my room, so I figured I would find him one of his own. The Mermaid Grotto seemed like the perfect place to search. The treasure chest was a little hard to pry open at first, but I was determined. I looked inside and smiled brightly, “This is perfect!” The only thing that dampened my mood was that I knew tomorrow was probably the last time I would ever see Eric. He was going off to a fancy university in Dragon Valley to study archaeology. He wasn’t very happy about it though. He said he’d much rather study marine biology at a local college like I was here, but Palmira’s father had gotten him into that university so his parents insisted that he went. I had gotten into that school as well, but every time I even mentioned Dragon Valley my father blew his top.

Graduation itself was a blur. I fumbled through my valedictorian speech, and kept my brain trained on how I was going to get a moment alone with Eric. I knew with the combined effort of Palmira’s claws and his usual swarm of drones that he would be surrounded, and as I saw the growing crowd around him vying for pictures and hugs, I started to think my plan was a lost cause. Falling into my usual pattern I began to walk away, but something inside made me stop. If this was going to be the last time I saw him it wouldn’t be from a distance.

Squaring my shoulders I started to make my way through the group of people until someone blocked my path. “What do YOU want?” Palmira fumed, staring down her nose at me. Eric was the one to reply to her though with a serious look on his face, “You are being rude.” She gave him a look of shock as if she couldn’t believe that anything was wrong with her actions. Then like a child throwing a tantrum she stomped off with her posse in tow. He just shook his head, “Sorry about that. I’m glad you came over actually. I’m leaving pretty soon after this, and I wasn’t sure I’d get a chance to say goodbye.”

Remembering what I came to do in the first place and not wanting to lose my nerve, I just nodded and held out my present. He looked surprised, “For me?” I nodded again, “Think of it as a congrats on doing well on finals/graduation/going away present. It’s an ancient fish fossil of the Dendorsimius Spiniferi, known to be an extremely deadly fish in its time. I found it while diving again, and my grandparents told me it was rare find. Also I noticed you liked my collection of assorted treasures, so I thought you might want to start a collection of your own.” He stared at me in complete shock for a long moment, and then hugged me. I was sure my heart stopped.

Pulling away he smiled at me, “I don’t know what to say other than this is the best gift anyone has ever given me. Thank you Ariel.” He suddenly smacked his forehead, “I should have gotten you a gift too. I feel like such a jerk now!” “Oh no. I don’t need anything,” I said waving him off. We just looked at each other for a moment after that until he finally spoke up, “Well I better get going.” “Yeah.” “But I’ll definitely visit this place. You know for holidays and stuff.” “Of course.” “Well, see ya.” “See ya.” I heard my mother calling my name somewhere behind me, but all sounds and sights dimmed except the image of his evanescent figure growing ever smaller in my world. 

Offline VioletG

• Llama Wrangler
Re: The Magical World: Chapter 48 – Left With Alibis and Lying Eyes
« Reply #282 on: April 25, 2014, 02:09:24 PM »
Awwww, so sad. :( I have this strange feeling that Eric will be back though!

I loved the little touch with Trinity and the potion. I wondered if she was going to be a kind of Ursula-like character. ;)

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #283 on: April 25, 2014, 06:04:08 PM »
Ariel has two problems and somehow I think Eric is going to be the least of them.

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline melancholy_anju

• Occult
« Reply #284 on: April 26, 2014, 01:08:03 PM »
Awwww, so sad. :( I have this strange feeling that Eric will be back though!

I loved the little touch with Trinity and the potion. I wondered if she was going to be a kind of Ursula-like character. ;)
She definitely is going to stir up some trouble.

Ariel has two problems and somehow I think Eric is going to be the least of them.
Haha! I dare say you are spot on Magz.  :)