Author Topic: Has Sims caused you any embarrassment in front of family and friends?  (Read 18322 times)

Offline Axiom

• Immortal
Re: Has Sims caused you any embarrassment in front of family and friends?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 07:24:18 PM »
Cool stories :D

Luckily, my computer is in my own room, so no one hears me when I talk to my Sims.. which I do a lot.
I do however experience some "embarrassment" when telling others about the game (I started playing The Sims only a few weeks ago)... I have 3 brothers and most of my friends are male (I'm a girl), and have always played various video games, and now my brothers/friends are all like "haha, you're playing with a doll house"

But as long as I still beat them at Mario Kart I can overlook this insult :D
After all it's an awesome game, I've never seen anything like it!
If I were you, I'd show all the ways you can kill a sim.... Over a dozen I can think of right now:
Old age
Drowning
Starvation
Electrocution
Fire
Meteor
Freezing
Watery Grave
Buried Alive
Swords of Destiny trick death
Mummy's Curse
Thirst [Vampire only]
Haunting Curse
...And so on.

This gives me an idea. *evil grin*

Offline doxxielover

• Immortal
  • Hello everyone!
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 10:51:09 AM »
Yes !! I wil be dressing my sims sleepwear as and someone will walk by and say, "wow". It's HILLARIOUS. My family knows what sims is about and all but they still see the sleepwear or swimwear and act akward. Hahaha

Or I will be  reading a big dynasty story in public and someone will ask my what I am doing on my phone and I just like,"oh uh reading fanfiction"
I love this forum and just want to say thank you to everyone! :) Have a great rest of your day!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline empow14

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 12:52:16 PM »
If I were you, I'd show all the ways you can kill a sim.... Over a dozen I can think of right now:
Old age
Drowning
Starvation
Electrocution
Fire
Meteor
Freezing
Watery Grave
Buried Alive
Swords of Destiny trick death
Mummy's Curse
Thirst [Vampire only]
Haunting Curse
...And so on.

This gives me an idea. *evil grin*

EXCELLENT idea... :D

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 06:11:12 PM »
Yes !! I wil be dressing my sims sleepwear as and someone will walk by and say, "wow". It's HILLARIOUS. My family knows what sims is about and all but they still see the sleepwear or swimwear and act akward. Hahaha

Haha! My husband always seems to appear when I am dressing my Sims in something skimpy. Then he'll say, 'Oh, skankwear.'
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Offline doxxielover

• Immortal
  • Hello everyone!
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 06:22:55 PM »
Haha "Oh Skankwear" Haha
I love this forum and just want to say thank you to everyone! :) Have a great rest of your day!

Offline simlover16

• Townie
    • The Power of Knowledge Immortal Dynasty
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 12:47:26 PM »
People, I'm sure I look like I'm from a nut house when I talk to myself. Lol. I find myself home alone sometimes talking to myself. I'm all like, " WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING CLAIRE—?!?" at the top of my lungs then my parents call and very calmly I say "hello? Uh huh yeah,"
 I've had some close calls. In my house, I try my hardest to make the Sims 3 look as innocent as possible; considering its rating, sexual themes, violence, and crude humor. I'm not positive it's appreciated in my house. My parents thought twice before letting me get Late Night or University.
"You're waiting for a train. A train that'll take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you. But you can't know for sure. Yet it doesn't matter. Now, tell me why?" -Dom Cobb

Offline oldspook

• Oldspook
  • Llama Wrangler
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 03:12:22 AM »
I got tired of looking at the square censor block so I installed NRaas decensor mod. It don't show much, only the general body outline.

My 7 year old Great Granddaughter was over and I never thought about the decensor mod. When she saw my female sim take a shower, she yelled "she's naked". Made my old face turn red, thank god for my full beard which hid most of the red.
Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.
   --Buddha

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline molly4000

• Townie
  • I'm (finally) back!
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 06:49:43 PM »
Wow, sims has embarrassed me quite a bit even though I love playing it.  My friend showed a my story to some friends of hers and all I heard from their parents was: these aren't following social conduct, the rating should be way higher, *gasp*. My brother is always laughing at me when I start talking about my sims. I think if my parents found out what all you can do on here I would be grounded for eternity. :-X
"May the odds be ever in your favor"-Effie Trinket

Offline Angélique

• Townie
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 08:50:07 PM »
the rating should be way higher, *gasp*.

What??? Higher??? You got to be kidding!? ;D In my country, Sweden, Sims 3 and it's predecessors 1 and 2, are considered to be computer games mainly for children! ;D ,and those who are above 18 are usually quite reluctant to admit that they actually enjoy playing such "childish" games. Even 15-17 year olds sometimes describe how they have to sneak in to the game store, quickly grab the DVD case, pay for it and hastily hide it inside their jacket before they leave the store. It would be sooo embarrassing for them to be seen openly carrying around that kind of children's stuff! ;D

I'm sorry if I've used too many smileys in this post, but I just think it's so funny!

Seriously though, I think that all three The sims games are mostly cute, harmless and innocent, but I definitely do not agree when people claim that they're only made for children.

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2013, 03:28:03 PM »
Need to be higher?  I see kids playing games that make sims look like a kiddie cartoon.  The so called sex in the game are bouncing under a blanket and I've seen hotter kissing on tv than on the games.  Violence rating?  Again, look at the violence in just regular tv shows,  heck, look at some kiddie cartoons and you will see more violence there than on the sims games.  Language?  Sims speak gibberish, so how can you hear foul language in such mumbo jumbo?   Actually, I think there is more "violence" portrayed by players than there is in the game, with players wanting to know how many ways can they cause their sims to die (in other words, commit what in reality would be seen as first degree murder).    Torture, humiliation, forced labor, forced to have relationships, forced to have children, and the list goes on with what we players do to our sims, all in the name of fun.

I think parents should think of sims as a teaching tool; my grandkids wanted to play it when they spent the summer with me.  They found out what it was like to have to take care of a family.  They created a family, adopted kids and then had to take care of them all, see that the babies were fed, kept clean, given attention they needed, get the older kids off to school, do homework, have the adults go to work, come home and fix a meal, shower, try to have fun and pay bills.  They bought items they couldn't afford and had to learn the hard way with them being repossessed.  They got a taste of what real life is like. 

I have argued with my daughter till I am blue in the face about how she lets her 8, 10 and 12 year olds play Black Ops game and other type of games.  Her response?  Their daddy is in the military, the other military kids play them, get with real life. 
The sad fact of life is, most kids today are exposed to more violence, sexual content and language than they were 10 years ago, and especially 20 years ago, and I thought it was a bit much then.
They should  be playing sims to learn what real life is, taking care of a family, working, being with friends, enjoying life.   Not shoot them up, blow them up all while the character you are pretending to be is speaking words in a language you can actually understand that would make a sailor blush. 
okay, off my soapbox now.

I have had people look at me funny when I asked for sims expansion pack like I am asking for a kiddie game.  I have yelled at my sims and had my hubby look at me and shake his head, but he doesn't have any interest computer or video games so he doesn't understand.  Of course, he doesn't understand when I read my books why I cry at the sad scenes, or am happy when there is the HEA in a book (happily ever after).

Just to make it clear, I enjoy sims, it is a game so I don't see any harm in what players do, so long as that individual understands that it is okay in a game but not okay in real life. 

Offline molly4000

• Townie
  • I'm (finally) back!
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 08:54:15 PM »
I agree Janna and Angélique, I can't believe people would think of the sims as inappropriate. I think this is a more appropriate game than most of the games available. I can't believe some parents would think of this a bad influence rather than a learning device.  ::)
"May the odds be ever in your favor"-Effie Trinket

Offline FireRaye93

• Townie
  • I am burdened with glorious plumbobs.
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2013, 12:56:49 PM »
One time, I was in a study room with my friends and I was the first to finish my homework, so I decided to play Sims on my laptop. I didn't have any headphones on me so I made sure low volume would be okay with my friends since I don't like playing on mute. At that point, I wasn't concerned because there was steady conversation going so you probably wouldn't hear much from laptop anyway.

So, I start playing a baby boomer challenge because I thought I still had some time before my pregnant sim went into labor, but right before I start playing the room quiets because everyone's concentrating on their work.

I forgot that I had played for a little while and saved the afternoon before labor. Five minutes into playing, my sim goes into labor, the other kids start crying and the husband goes crazy resulting in a lot of noise in a dead quiet room.

Everyone just stared at me and I just laughed because I couldn't really explain to them what was going on. None of them play sims, so they don't understand how loud the game can get when everyone's freaking out.
Sometimes a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

Offline Crazylittleloon

• Occult
  • Ruining your childhood since 1995
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 12:27:57 PM »
I mentioned to my mom how one of my Sims was pregnant and she asked me how Sims get pregnant.

::)

Offline azokka361

• Watcher
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 01:00:37 PM »
I mentioned to my mom how one of my Sims was pregnant and she asked me how Sims get pregnant.

::)

Hahaha. Do what I do: Say it's just an automatic option that requires no interaction between sims.
I expect Azokka either to yell at everyone and totally dominate or else get out the popcorn.-Ombradellarosa

Elysi Immortal Dynasty

Offline Crazylittleloon

• Occult
  • Ruining your childhood since 1995
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 01:08:41 PM »
Hahaha. Do what I do: Say it's just an automatic option that requires no interaction between sims.

Lets hope that works.