Author Topic: My absence  (Read 6830 times)

Leto85

Re: My absence
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 06:06:40 PM »
I beat you, Leto... Nederlands (Dutch), Deutsch (German), Francais (french), I am also learning Espanol (Spanish). I have had 4 years of ancient Greek (Hellenika) in school, so, although I may sound like Shakespeare, people speaking modern Greek may be able to understand it...

Cool Illu! Someone who speaks some languages better than me I only can see on the bright side. Maybe you can someday help me with something in Spanish? Because I got stuck somewhere. Those hard grammatic rules.... not comparable with Dutch, nor English.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 06:21:04 PM »
I hope you enjoy your vacation, Leto.  We'll be here when you get back!  :D

To all of our multi-lingual members, I'd like to ask that you include an English translation of the things you post in other languages.  English is our only common language here and we should keep that in mind when posting.  Thanks very much!
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline The Illuminator

• Occult
  • Illumination now with energy saving light bulbs!
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 06:29:08 PM »
Cool Illu! Someone who speaks some languages better than me I only can see on the bright side. Maybe you can someday help me with something in Spanish? Because I got stuck somewhere. Those hard grammatic rules.... not comparable with Dutch, nor English.

What you think is hard is, in fact, easy for most people. We are not used to that kind of grammatical rules; characteristic for most Germanic/Celtic languages, especially for Dutch, are the many exceptions.

When the Visigoths from Gotland came to Spain during the Barbarbian Invasions, they took their language with them. Since Spain was a Roman province, their languages was much influenced by Latin and the old Celtic languages.
The structure of Latin (I've had 3 years of Latin lessons, I know many of these rules by hard) combined with the exceptions and irregularities of Germanic/Celtic languages results in what you (me too sometimes) call hard grammatical rules.
Le mot impossible n'est pas Francais

The word "impossible" is not French

- Napoleon Bonaparte -

Offline Jonna

• Occult
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 06:33:23 PM »
I have had 4 years of ancient Greek (Hellenika) in school...

I took Hellenistic Greek in college!  I remember it being a lot of fun.

Also I studied French from junior high through college.  Pretty sure I've forgotten most of it but I do remember I had a rockin' accent.  ;)

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 06:52:04 PM »
Well, English is pretty common for all Swedes (at least partial fluency since many here know English in theory alone); French could have been worse on me, but I'm not good at it. Norwegian and Danish should rightly be considered two other languages since they really are, but if you know either Swedish, Norwegian or Danish you get the other two pretty easy with a little practice. Sure enough, that amounts to 5 languages (without much of an attempt made)!

I have to say though that I'm impressed of people that know some of the Italic languages since the Germanic languages are quite a bit away from them. :) French does technically belong there, but I find it so similar to English that I believe Latin and such would be harder.

Oh yeah, enjoy your vacation Leto!
And the moderator in me says that this shouldn't be made into a new babble thread, so try to keep this conversation as short as possible. ;)
Manbearpig simply wants to get you. I'm super cereal. - Al Gore :)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 07:39:25 PM »
English is so common because we got invaded a lot of times!  ;) Many languages got mixed, so we have similar words to other languages.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]