Author Topic: Remodelers Paradise  (Read 5052 times)

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
Remodelers Paradise
« on: July 17, 2010, 02:56:20 PM »
Cascade Shores.  One of the most vanilla, no wait, vanilla is too flavorful a term, for this world.  It's a world I downloaded from My Sims Realty.  I had to download it just because Pam said it was the most boring world she'd ever done that wasn't one of the standard EA worlds, and that the site was safe.  Of course there are no mods or anything in that world.  It would have made it less bland. 

The basic concept of the world, a lovely cascading waterfall through the town, is great.  Would have to be beautiful, and in a way, and in some places, it is.  However, every single house, big or small, (and most are small on a teensy little lot), looks just like every other house in this world.  They all have the same, multicolored brick somewhere on the house and variations of the same, dull colors of siding.  Almost every house has what I consider a major design flaw.  You get a really pretty entrance to the house, but when you open the door you are smack dab in the badly laid out kitchen.  Who does that?  Would you want people walking straight into your kitchen?  Ok, I'm not considering old time farmhouses where the rear or side entrance might be right into the kitchen, but there usually would be a formal, "front door" not normally used by family but kept nice for guests.  In general a house entrance is not straight into the kitchen.  (We all know there might be a stack of dishes waiting to be washed and who wants folks to see that?)

The bathrooms are huge, big enough to be bedrooms or two bathrooms, and all are the exact same decor.  As a matter of fact, the same paints etc. are used in every house in the world.  If the house has many rooms, you just get more multiples of the same colors.  The landscaping is equally as bad.  Massive use of the same, yellowish shrubs, over and over and a hideous stonework for paths and all areas where stonework would be appropriate. 

So why is this a remodelers paradise?  Well SOMEONE has to rescue this world!  lol  It's not a place to go to expect to actually play the game.  At least it seems so to me at the moment, but there are all those hideous houses and public places that are just crying out for a remodeler to fix up. 

The land is empty.  So you have to populate it yourself, but what a good place to stick some Sims you might not be ready to play yet but want to have in reserve for other games/challenges.  And who knows what these Simies will be up to while you're not looking!  So far the only npc I've found there is the paper kid.

There are no mods or cc in the world, and it has not caused any problems in my games or pc.  It can be frustrating to see so much sameness, but I'm looking at it as a way to improve my remodel skills, and even building skills on the empty lots. 
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
Re: Remodelers Paradise
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 05:16:15 PM »
So the realty site is safe for downloads?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline KJSinclair

• Townie
  • I may have a sharp tongue but I have a soft heart
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 05:38:14 PM »
I have been thinking about downloading this for a while. I love the idea of going to remodel an entire town.

Hmmm I might just spend some time on that this weekend.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes we have to wait a long time for the reason to become clear.

Offline templesmom

• Townie
  • Happy Simming!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 06:24:06 PM »
Cool idea Joria. I am currently playing Meadow Glen from My Sims realty. I know what you mean about the sameness of it all, but I like the uniform look. I also plan on remodeling each inside I play in. I like not having anyone there living yet and watching it populate. I made a Ghost hunting sim and the story line is Meadow Glen is a ghost town and my sim can help it become livable for the living. Are you going to post pictures of the remodels?

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 07:01:58 PM »
So the realty site is safe for downloads?

Pam said it was safe so I gave it a shot.  I don't do any cc or mods except for cc from the EA store so it took me awhile to ramp up the courage to try it.  So far, so good.

I have been thinking about downloading this for a while. I love the idea of going to remodel an entire town.

Hmmm I might just spend some time on that this weekend.

I really hadn't planned on doing as much as I've been doing with it.  At first, I was so frustrated with not only the sameness but also the flat out ugliness and ridiculous ways some things were laid out.  Then I decided it was a challenge, and a good place to try out building/remodel skills so, while it does get frustrating sometimes, it's also been fun.

Cool idea Joria. I am currently playing Meadow Glen from My Sims realty. I know what you mean about the sameness of it all, but I like the uniform look. I also plan on remodeling each inside I play in. I like not having anyone there living yet and watching it populate. I made a Ghost hunting sim and the story line is Meadow Glen is a ghost town and my sim can help it become livable for the living. Are you going to post pictures of the remodels?

Meadow Glen is more like the way I would personally build a world.  It just looks so pretty to me and all organic and eco friendly.  I've been thinking of downloading it to practice making a really eco society but between the contests and challenges and doing Cascade Shores I haven't had time.  How are you liking it?  I hadn't planned on posting pictures of the remodels I do but I can do that on the remodel thread.  I don't think it would be right to do it here.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline templesmom

• Townie
  • Happy Simming!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 08:19:30 PM »
You are right. I did mean that you could post them on the correct post  ;D I am really excited to try remodeling the houses in Meadow Glen. Thanks for inspiring me! I am really liking Meadow Glen so far. I was waiting for the site to come up with a junk yard that matches but with create a world down I think that slowed it up. But I was tired of waiting so I just used Gradys. I like the placements of the community lots. I have only played a ghost hunter so far in this world but I can't wait to play a gardener- love the farm area. I haven't done any collecting but just around my sims house are a couple of spawn sites for butterflies. The other world I downloaded from My Sims Realty I found that the spawners were OK it was a small world, and nothing that you had to run through the world for hours to get to them. All in all I am happy with it and hope to play a couple of generations in it.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 11:08:54 PM »
Your right Joria, sounds like a remodelers dream.  Never really thought about it that way.  I had downloaded that one too and I yawned all of the way through and then deleted it.  So might have to rethink downloading it again, just to remodel some of those houses.  I liked the Pagoda Isles one.  Was thinking of downloading that one and redecorating some houses with my new stuff from the store.  I love the fact these towns have no cc in them too.  Keep us posted on any redo's and have fun.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 08:43:35 PM »
Ok, I did the cemetery today.  It is unfinished but I figured it was a new town so the cemetery wouldn't be totally complete, and for some reason the builder made it really small for such an area.  I'm not completely happy with it, partly because I don't know where I would find the extra "remains" I need to put in it.  Ah!  buydebug!  Forgot about that.  I posted the pics on the show boat thread.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 10:12:40 PM »
If anyone needs some really cool, safe, starter homes to put in their Cascade Shores world to make it a LOT less vanilla, go to the Contest thread and snag some of the starter homes folks have posted.  I did, and they are so much better than what you normally see.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline Telsey

• Townie
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 11:24:28 PM »
Has anyone noticed your game loading slower with adding more worlds?  I am so tempted to download the ones you are talking about. 

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 02:33:05 PM »
No, Telsey.  No slower at all but my pc is fairly new and has very little on it besides Sims.  I don't even have my music on it yet.  Give it a shot and see.  If it slows you down, remove it.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 10:01:29 PM »
Mine isn't slower yet.  I upgraded just about everything you can upgrade when I got this game, so I am good.  Might keep a check on defrag and emptying cookies and just keep it cleaned out, that tends to help alot.  I just updated my video card too and wow, what a difference that made.  I was quite impressed.  Good luck.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline The Illuminator

• Occult
  • Illumination now with energy saving light bulbs!
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 07:26:32 AM »
I bought a new laptop 2 weeks ago and I do not want to slow it down with extra neighbourhoods. But if you say it doesn't really slow your pc down, I may download it too.
Le mot impossible n'est pas Francais

The word "impossible" is not French

- Napoleon Bonaparte -

anything