Author Topic: The Blue Rose  (Read 4759 times)

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Blue Rose
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 09:37:33 PM »
I am hooked! I can't wait to see how the story plays out.

Me too!  So many interesting arcs to glean from your first few chapters.  I'm definitiely in here for the long haul.  ;D
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline mayayeti72

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 07:14:33 AM »
Chapter 4

The least I could do while I waited for him was to make him dinner. Goopy carbonara was my specialty.

I checked the fridge but being a cop myself, I knew I wouldn’t find much. We seemed to survive on cold pizza and beer, of which there was plenty in the fridge! Ben was adamant it was not a good idea for me to go out but no one knew me in this corner of the woods and a quick trip to the grocer would be over before he knew it. 

I checked to make sure he had plenty of coffee too as I knew we would need it. There would be some all nighters coming up.
I wondered how he was going with this mysterious bunch of guys. Of the grid, he said. More like hiding from the law I bet. But then again, I had my seedy sources too. We might not like it but sometimes it’s all you had to point you in the right direction....

*************************************

“Thanks Decker, I wouldn’t ask if I had the means myself”. Ben tried not to look over to see what the other two were working on. The less he knew what they had their fingers in the better he could sleep at night.

They were what was known in hacker speak as grey hats, bouncing between good and evil in their hacking prowess. Decker was like Luke from Star Wars: he wanted to be with the force, but Darth Vader kept calling him to the dark side.

“I know how these guys operate Ben. We’re just gonna shine a light for you and get out. I don’t wanna tangle with those Camorra sharks and if you value what you got, neither do you.”

“I hear you but I got no choice on this one.  All I need is to get a bead on this scumbag and your job is done.” I was with Decker on this one, I wanted to get it done and get out but my cop sense was already telling me loud and clear that this whole thing was going to get ugly....

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline mayayeti72

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 06:59:33 AM »
Chapter 5

I was passing a restaurant opposite the park on my grocery run and stopped dead in my tracks.

There was Shae having dinner with some guy and it was definitely not platonic from the way they were gazing at each other. It was a date.

What the hell happened between Ben and Shae? I tried to recall if there were any clues the last time I spoke to either of them but I couldn’t remember. All I recalled was that Jack had gotten the dog he always wanted.

I started walking faster hoping I wasn’t spotted. But then I heard “Elena? ELENA? Is that you?” Just my luck to run into the only person I knew in the whole town. Ben would be furious.

“Oh my god, I thought that was you! What are you doing In Sunset Valley? I thought you were in Bridgeport?” She was definitely in date clothes.

While I was trying to think what to say, her date walked up and Shae got flustered. “Ugh ... this is James. He is my ... I mean he is... he is Jack’s teacher. We’re... having dinner”, she finished awkwardly.

“Good to meet you”. What the heck else could I say? Ben and I were definitely discussing this tonight. “Shae, I’ve got to go. I’m sorry. I’m following up on a case and need to see someone now. Can we catch up later?” Lame excuse, but I was just not processing this very well at the moment.

“Oh, ok. Sure, where are you staying?” Her eyes narrowed as she worked it out.  I could tell she was not happy about the situation. She had always been bothered by the history Ben and I shared. I would have been too if I was in her shoes.

“I’m sorry, I’ve really got to go”. I had to force myself not to run for the car, far far away from this mortifying situation.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 04:26:33 PM »
Very interesting and very awkward.  So there is a history.  I wondered.  Nicely written Maya.   ;D 
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler