Author Topic: Buying a Desktop or Laptop for The Sims 3  (Read 273416 times)

Offline Minimagic782

• Nooboo
Re: Buying a Desktop or Laptop for The Sims 3
« Reply #480 on: October 18, 2015, 09:31:58 AM »
Hi Flynn & Mrs Flynn,

Firstly my apologises if this is in the wrong place, but I have been reading through and I too am looking for help for a new laptop to run The Sims 3, all expansions and all stuff packs and a little bit of CC from the store, my budget is £600 - £650 at a push and ideally my nearest computer store is PC world.

I've seen two that I think maybe ok, but as they have an AMD processor I'm not entirely sure if they will be ok?  I always run a cooling pad when playing the game and am never usually on it for more than 2 hours at a push anyway.

My current set up is a HP Pavilion G6, with a I3-2330M processor and a HD Graphics 3000 graphics card

But I have been looking on PC World's website and have seen the below

HP Envy 15-ah000SA with a AMD A10-8700p APU and a AMD Radeon R6 Graphics Card

HP Envy 15-ah151SA with the same as the above, the only difference I can really spot between the two is the price but I'm not really very tech savvy.

Could someone please have a look and let me know, or suggest any that maybe within my price range, I really don't have any further funds available so £650 is my absolute limit.

Many Thanks Minimagic782

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #481 on: October 18, 2015, 05:21:12 PM »
Hi Flynn & Mrs Flynn,

Firstly my apologises if this is in the wrong place, but I have been reading through and I too am looking for help for a new laptop to run The Sims 3, all expansions and all stuff packs and a little bit of CC from the store, my budget is £600 - £650 at a push and ideally my nearest computer store is PC world.

I've seen two that I think maybe ok, but as they have an AMD processor I'm not entirely sure if they will be ok?  I always run a cooling pad when playing the game and am never usually on it for more than 2 hours at a push anyway.

My current set up is a HP Pavilion G6, with a I3-2330M processor and a HD Graphics 3000 graphics card

But I have been looking on PC World's website and have seen the below

HP Envy 15-ah000SA with a AMD A10-8700p APU and a AMD Radeon R6 Graphics Card

HP Envy 15-ah151SA with the same as the above, the only difference I can really spot between the two is the price but I'm not really very tech savvy.

Could someone please have a look and let me know, or suggest any that maybe within my price range, I really don't have any further funds available so £650 is my absolute limit.

Many Thanks Minimagic782
Hi, Minimagic782 and welcome to the forums. :)

We're not seeing a lot in your price range on PC World that will play the game well. Most of the systems are either under clocked for the game (less than 2.4 GHz) or using an Ultra-Low Voltage (U) processor that is not designed for gaming. But we did find one on Amazon that's right at £650 -- Lenovo Y510p. It will play the game on medium settings fairly well.

However, if you are able to save up a few more pounds (about £25 - £30), you may want to consider the MSI GP60-2QE at about £673 as it has a nicer graphics card and may be able to play at medium to medium-high settings. Either one should play the game fairly well with some lag, but should work much better for you than your current system.

Hope this helps and happy Simming!

Flynn
Check out Flynn's Fineries for houses, Sims and helpful articles.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #482 on: October 18, 2015, 08:14:32 PM »
We're updating the information at the beginning of this thread to include new information. Because of this, we're going to lock this thread and un-sticky it in favor of the new thread. Thanks to everyone who participated in this discussion and remember you can ask us your questions in the Technical Help or PM us.

Buying a Computer For The Sims 3 & The Sims 4
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=21609.msg387974#msg387974

Happy Simming! :)

Flynn and MrsFlynn
Check out Flynn's Fineries for houses, Sims and helpful articles.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!