Author Topic: Buying a Desktop or Laptop for The Sims 3  (Read 273427 times)

Offline lovely6324

• Nooboo
Re: Buying a Desktop or Laptop for The Sims 3
« Reply #390 on: February 04, 2015, 07:48:59 AM »
Do you recommend any laptops in that price range as well ? :)

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #391 on: February 04, 2015, 03:03:50 PM »
Tiger Direct has some good laptops.  If you don't mind refurbished, my daughter got a really nice HP.  It has a Radeon card that is better than my desktop and after rebates, it is under 500.00.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #392 on: February 05, 2015, 03:27:00 PM »
In short, no we weren't able to find any laptops within that price range.

SaltyPaws suggested to check out TigerDirect. However, we checked both the laptops and desktops within the $500 budget and wasn't able to come up with anything that will run Sims 3 with any decent game quality.

With a desktop, you can buy whatever cheap one you find. But more than likely, since they aren’t built for gaming, you’ll have to put some money into it fairly soon after purchase in the form of a power supply and updated graphics card. So you can have an overall good gaming experience.

With a laptop, it’s definitely not that simple. Most of the "cheap" laptops aren’t made for much more than casual gaming (such as PopCap and other similar types of games). Most are made for internet/office use and don't include a dedicated graphics card that games like The Sims 3 needs to play correctly.

If you want something that will run Sims 3 well (Medium up to High settings), you have to make sure you’re looking for one that has the following features:

• 2.4 ghz processor or better (base clock speed). For example, a system with a 1.8 GHz base clock and 2.8 GHz Turbo won't meet the requirements.
  • A dedicated graphics card with 1 GB or 2 GB of memory. Examples for laptops include the nVidia GT 840M or the AMD Radeon HD 8750M. For desktops, examples include nVidia GTX 650 and AMD HD Radeon R7 260X

It’s just the nature of this demanding game. You will not be able to easily find a "cheap" laptop and have it work for Sims 3 as they generally meet only one of the requirements (usually the processor).
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Linny

• Nooboo
« Reply #393 on: February 08, 2015, 05:13:34 PM »

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #394 on: February 08, 2015, 06:35:01 PM »
Hi Linny,

It should run the game with expansions and stuff packs at medium settings.

Make sure you have a cooling mat as it will be running the game in turbo mode and therefore will generate more heat.

Hope this helps, and Welcome to the Forum!! :)

MrsFlynn
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #395 on: February 11, 2015, 01:27:32 AM »
Hey there.  :) I'm buying a laptop for The Sims 3 and The Sims 4 soon and am having trouble deciding between these two. Can you give me some advice on which one you think may be best? I have only been to look at the second one in person so far.

http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/laptops-notebooks/hp-pavilion-15-6-15-p235tx-w8-1-notebook-silver-dsnz-xc9374

http://www.warehousestationery.co.nz/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/WSL-B2C-Site/en_NZ/-/NZD/ViewOfferDetail-Product?CatalogCategoryID=1zMKBTFwK0oAAAEue3tAPZw7&ProductUUID=UKIKBTFxr9gAAAFI6ZUiThND&JumpTo=OfferList

These are both New Zealand stores and prices.  :)

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #396 on: February 11, 2015, 06:46:35 PM »
Hi Rainbow Dash,

Hubby and I looked over both of them found the HP Envy to be the better of the two listed. But it's your call. :) As both meet minimum and recommended requirements. And should play at medium settings.

Hope this helps, :)

MrsFlynn

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #397 on: February 11, 2015, 11:28:45 PM »
Hi, thanks for answering. :)

I'm tempted for the HP Pavilion for the extra hard drive storage and because it has a graphics card recommended for the Sims 4 on your Sims 4 version of this thread.  :)

But I am leaning slightly more towards the HP Envy because of the better processor.  :)

I do have a couple more questions, if you don't mind.

The HP Envy has a graphics card called nVidea GTforce (Or something like that), does that play well with the Sims 3 and 4?

Also, both of these are Hybrid drives as SSD is not really within my budget. Hybrid should only really affect loading times and are a little slower to load things right? Just checking but I don't really mind too much as my last laptop had a Hybrid drive and played the Sims 3 really well.  :-\

Just curious, why do you recommend medium settings?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just that I'll be making my final decision and purchase soon. :)

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #398 on: February 12, 2015, 12:13:21 PM »
Both these laptops will play Sims 3 and 4.

Depending on what type of graphics memory these laptops have, they may play at high settings for both games. We were recommending medium settings for Sims 3 to start with, as we weren't able to find out what type of memory the video cards use. Due to the game engine.

A hybrid drive is a little slower than a SSD, but is usually faster than a traditional hard drive once the caching routines run for a bit.

MrsFlynn

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #399 on: February 13, 2015, 02:12:25 AM »
Thanks.  :) I found out a bit more about the graphics card on the HP Envy, it's a nVidea GeForce GT 740M. Hopefully it will play nice with the Sims 3 and 4, I think most if not all nVidea seem pretty good anyway.  :)

Offline Jynx

• Nooboo
« Reply #400 on: March 04, 2015, 03:10:09 AM »
Hi!  I've been going a little nuts trying to pick a new laptop after the death of my old one months ago and finally decided to ask for advice here.  I'm not a big gamer, but I'd like a machine that will run The Sims 3 with all expansions (and probably quite a bit of store content).  Finding this thread and its recommendations threw me for a bit of a loop, considering my old middle-of-the-road Samsung somehow ran the game OK, albeit with lots of lag, on medium-ish settings.   ???
Maybe that contributed to its death.  I still think it was the milk.

Anyhoo, I was initially looking at this Acer: http://www.cyberport.de/acer-aspire-vn7-571g-56w6-notebook-i5-4210u-sshd-full-hd-gtx850m-windows-8-1-1C26-9AW_1688.html 
(If you don't speak German, click on Datenblatt for the detailed specifications.) Going by your recommendations, the processor is a little weak, right?

Doing a bit of hunting leads me to believe that my best chance for a stronger processor in my preferred price range is an MSI.  I don't know much about their laptops.  Are they to be avoided?  Unfortunately, most of their machines come without an operating sytem or with DOS, so that has to be accounted for in the price.  This looks like the best option at the moment: http://www.cyberport.de/msi-gp60-profd-gaming-notebook-i5-4210h-full-hd-gtx850m-ohne-windows-1C17-1MD_10892.html
I'd prefer 1 TB of storage, but it has a slot for adding a second drive.

I've been aiming at an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M for the graphics card, but would downgrading to an 840M be problematic?  I don't know that any combo I can afford would run high settings, but it'd be nice.  I know very little about such things, so I've been using gpuboss.com comparisons as a guide.

If you're inclined to check for a better option, I would be very grateful.  I live in Germany and would like to stay around €770 (laptop + OS) on a laptop with a matt 15' display and plenty of storage space.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #401 on: March 04, 2015, 08:07:59 PM »
Hi!  I've been going a little nuts trying to pick a new laptop after the death of my old one months ago and finally decided to ask for advice here.  I'm not a big gamer, but I'd like a machine that will run The Sims 3 with all expansions (and probably quite a bit of store content).  Finding this thread and its recommendations threw me for a bit of a loop, considering my old middle-of-the-road Samsung somehow ran the game OK, albeit with lots of lag, on medium-ish settings.   ???
Maybe that contributed to its death.  I still think it was the milk.
Wilkommen, Jynx. Ich spreche kein Deutsch, but I can read some of it okay. As you've discovered, milk may do a body good, but doesn't do a laptop good. :)
Quote from: Jynx
Anyhoo, I was initially looking at this Acer: http://www.cyberport.de/acer-aspire-vn7-571g-56w6-notebook-i5-4210u-sshd-full-hd-gtx850m-windows-8-1-1C26-9AW_1688.html 
(If you don't speak German, click on Datenblatt for the detailed specifications.) Going by your recommendations, the processor is a little weak, right?
This is an okay system. I only say that because I'm a little hesitant to recommend a system with an Ultra-Low Voltage processor. However, I've kind of eased up on the outright dismissal of the chips as they have improved quite a bit in the past couple of years. Most still have a base clock speed under what's recommended for The Sims 3, so it will be running in Turbo Mode frequently.

I also looked on Amazon.de and found a newer version of the system with a slightly newer processor -- Acer Aspire VN7-571G-574H for 729,00 Euro.
Doing a bit of hunting leads me to believe that my best chance for a stronger processor in my preferred price range is an MSI.  I don't know much about their laptops.  Are they to be avoided?  Unfortunately, most of their machines come without an operating sytem or with DOS, so that has to be accounted for in the price.  This looks like the best option at the moment: http://www.cyberport.de/msi-gp60-profd-gaming-notebook-i5-4210h-full-hd-gtx850m-ohne-windows-1C17-1MD_10892.html
I'd prefer 1 TB of storage, but it has a slot for adding a second drive.
I've been quite enamored of MSI laptops lately. Maybe because when  I built my desktop computer last year, I used an MSI motherboard for it (and it rocks!). But like you discovered, they have good specifications for the price. And a number of them also come with no operating system or with FreeDOS. At least in Europe.

On the other hand, buying a system should also allow you to get a system builder's (used to be referred to as OEM) copy of Windows 8.1 for less money than a standard license. The only problem I see with the system you linked to is that it only has 4 GB of memory, and for Sims 3 + a 64-bit OS, you really want 8 GB.

As before, I did find a similar system (MSI GP60-2PEI585FD) on Amazon.de with 8 GB for 705,75 Euro, but again with no operating system. Unfortunately, the Windows 8.1 System Builder is a little more expensive on Amazon -- 102,90 Euro instead of 95 Euro at Cyberport.
I've been aiming at an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M for the graphics card, but would downgrading to an 840M be problematic?  I don't know that any combo I can afford would run high settings, but it'd be nice.  I know very little about such things, so I've been using gpuboss.com comparisons as a guide.

If you're inclined to check for a better option, I would be very grateful.  I live in Germany and would like to stay around €770 (laptop + OS) on a laptop with a matt 15' display and plenty of storage space.

Thanks in advance!
The other system I found at Cyberport is another MSI -- MSI CX70-2PFi587W7. There are some tradeoffs, though. First of all, the system has a GT 850M rather than the GTX 850M - which means best you'll get is likely medium-high settings. Also, it's a 17 inch screen. The other thing is the URL and title both say it has a Core i5 4210M processor, but the description says it has a Core i7 processor. On the other hand, it does come with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Overall, though, I think I'd recommend the Acer I linked to earlier -- Acer Aspire VN7-571G-574H for 729,00 Euro. It doesn't have an operating system, so you will need to buy one. However, it does have nearly everything you want -- a GTX 850 graphics chip with 4 GB of memory, 8 GB of system memory, and a decent processor. Pair that with a copy of Windows 7 or 8 and a good cooling mat, and you should have a system that should play the game quite well. It will put you over budget though once you add in the cost of Windows and the cooling mat though.

Hope this helps and happy Simming! :)

Flynn
Check out Flynn's Fineries for houses, Sims and helpful articles.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Offline Jynx

• Nooboo
« Reply #402 on: March 07, 2015, 11:23:33 AM »
This is an okay system. I only say that because I'm a little hesitant to recommend a system with an Ultra-Low Voltage processor. However, I've kind of eased up on the outright dismissal of the chips as they have improved quite a bit in the past couple of years. Most still have a base clock speed under what's recommended for The Sims 3, so it will be running in Turbo Mode frequently.
I'm hoping to make this laptop last longer than its predecessor, which survived 4 years before its sudden demise.  Do you think the game would run in turbo the whole time or for short spurts during a session? On the other hand, what I've read about the new chips suggests they'll run cooler.

I also looked on Amazon.de and found a newer version of the system with a slightly newer processor -- Acer Aspire VN7-571G-574H for 729,00 Euro.
There's a similar model at Cyberport with an OS for €799.

On the other hand, buying a system should also allow you to get a system builder's (used to be referred to as OEM) copy of Windows 8.1 for less money than a standard license. The only problem I see with the system you linked to is that it only has 4 GB of memory, and for Sims 3 + a 64-bit OS, you really want 8 GB.
I thought so.  It surprises me that their laptops so often have less RAM than their competitors.  I'm seriously considering going over budget for this machine: https://www.cyberport.de/msi-ge60-gaming-notebook-i7-4710hq-full-hd-gtx850m-windows-7-3-jahre-garantie-1C17-1M7_1688.html
Strong processor, 8 GB RAM, GTX 850M, and a 1TB hard drive.  It's more than I really want to spend, but I have yet to see a better combo in that price range.  Maybe they'll run a discount thing next week so I can feel less nutty, and avoid funny looks from the hubby.   ;)

If I go for a system sans OS, the man would lobby for me to get 8.1 Pro.  I really don't know what the difference is, beyond the fact that it costs more.  If I can't talk myself into the considerably over-budget MSI, I think I'll go for the slightly over Acer with the OS.

Hope this helps and happy Simming! :)

Flynn
It does.  Thank you!  :D

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #403 on: March 07, 2015, 04:37:54 PM »
I'm hoping to make this laptop last longer than its predecessor, which survived 4 years before its sudden demise.  Do you think the game would run in turbo the whole time or for short spurts during a session? On the other hand, what I've read about the new chips suggests they'll run cooler.
There's a similar model at Cyberport with an OS for €799.
Nice, I didn't see that one when searching  Cyberport. Nice find. :)
I thought so.  It surprises me that their laptops so often have less RAM than their competitors.  I'm seriously considering going over budget for this machine: https://www.cyberport.de/msi-ge60-gaming-notebook-i7-4710hq-full-hd-gtx850m-windows-7-3-jahre-garantie-1C17-1M7_1688.html
Strong processor, 8 GB RAM, GTX 850M, and a 1TB hard drive.  It's more than I really want to spend, but I have yet to see a better combo in that price range.  Maybe they'll run a discount thing next week so I can feel less nutty, and avoid funny looks from the hubby.   ;)
I would definitely hope for a discount. That's a very nice system and very similar to an MSI that MrsFlynn and I are looking at. One thing we were definitely looking at is having the backlit keyboard as I just recently picked up a keyboard like that for my desktop and absolutely love it.
If I go for a system sans OS, the man would lobby for me to get 8.1 Pro.  I really don't know what the difference is, beyond the fact that it costs more.  If I can't talk myself into the considerably over-budget MSI, I think I'll go for the slightly over Acer with the OS.
Seriously consider the MSI as it is the best system so far, but of course it is over budget. Otherwise, the €799 Acer is the second-best option. Whichever you buy, though, make sure you get a cooling mat as games will make laptops run warm.

As for the difference between Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Pro, the main differences is that Windows 8.1 Professional includes a number of features aimed at professional workers. It doesn't make a lot of difference for games, as it includes all the same features as Windows 8.1. It's very similar to the differences between Windows XP Home Premium and Windows XP Professional -- all the same features, plus added features for businesses.

Flynn
Check out Flynn's Fineries for houses, Sims and helpful articles.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Offline SimRoy

• Nooboo
« Reply #404 on: March 16, 2015, 01:28:44 PM »
hey guys  :) the alienware 15 came out recently and im considering buying it to play sims 3 with all eps and sps as well as some worlds some cc and maybe a very few mods. i also want it to play sims 4 with all eps and sps as well as minecraft the model im looking at is:
Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ Processor
16GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz/li>
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M with 4GB GDDR5
512GB SSD (Boot) + 1TB (Storage)

hope you guys can answer

anything