Author Topic: Buying a Desktop or Laptop for The Sims 3  (Read 273419 times)

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Buying a Desktop or Laptop for The Sims 3
« Reply #330 on: November 27, 2014, 12:53:48 AM »
Hi Jamie,

Yep, this should run Sims 3, it's expansions, stuff packs and store content with mods on high settings just fine. But please note you may run into some lag, freezing and possibly other problems from time to time, due to the game engine itself.

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline danwragg1

• Nooboo
« Reply #331 on: November 29, 2014, 04:46:24 PM »
Hi again, the other one I posted was from Amazon and had cheap parts. Im wondering how this one would work with sims 3 and expansions on high settings? My budget is about £300 - £400 if anyone had any good desktops for that price.
Here is the computer

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-3847-desktop/pd?oc=cd84702&model_id=inspiron-3847-desktop#secondaryContent

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #332 on: November 29, 2014, 07:59:16 PM »
It will likely not work well for Sims 3 "out of the box" due to the intergrated graphics card. However, if you choose to buy this computer, you can always add a new graphics card later. But beware you will most likely need to buy a higher watt power supply (about 500 watts). These computers generally come with weaker power supplies that don't have the connectors needed for the more powerful graphics cards.

In all honesty, the Fierce PC you posted earlier is a much better machine spec-wise for playing The Sims 3 "out of the box". It has a far better processor, but it does lack a copy of Windows, so make sure you have one you can install on it. The integrated video card has 2 GB of memory and should allow the game to run on about medium settings as is. Once you add in a video card similar to what we linked to, it should perform quite well on high settings.

MrsFlynn
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Angelika

• Nooboo
« Reply #333 on: December 02, 2014, 10:00:44 AM »
Hi,
I'm glad I found this really informative thread!
I'm looking into getting a new laptop and I would love to finally get one that can play the Sims 3 smoothly at medium or (dare I hope?) high settings with no lag or slow loading times.
I own 6 Eps (WA, Ambitions, LN, Generations, Showtime, University Life), have approximately 6 GB of store content (4 store worlds and lots of items) and plan on purchasing Sims 4 in the near future.
I live in Europe (Greece) and I am limited to a budget of 650 euros (approx. 800 USD) maximum.
I've identified 3 laptops that seem suitable to what I want within my price range:

Toshiba Satellite C55-A-1JL
Processor: Intel Core i3-3110M (2.40 GHz), 3 MB L3 cache
RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz, (up to 16 GB)
Hard Drive:750 GB, 5400rpm, SATA
Video Card:Nvidia Geforce GT 740M (2 GB)
Display: 15.6''  LED 1366 x 768
PRICE:  509€ / 635 $

Lenovo G710
Processor: Intel Core i3-4000M 2.40 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache
RAM: 4 GB - DDR3 SDRAM - 1600 MHz
Hard Drive:1 TB - SATA - 5400 rpm
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 820M 2 GB
Display: 17.3" HD+ LED WEDGE 1600x900
PRICE:  589€ / 735 $

DELL Inspiron 15/3542
Processor: Intel Core i7-4510U 2.0 GHz (4M Cache, up to 3.1 Ghz with turbo boost)
RAM: 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 840M 2GB
Hard Drive: 1TB 5400 rpm SATA
Display: 15.6''  LED Backlit Display with Truelife and HD resolution (1366 x 768)
PRICE: 659 € / 822 $

So, the questions I'd like to submit to you are:
1. Can these laptops run the Sims 3/ EPS/ Store items etc smoothly on medium or high settings? And what about Sims 4?
2. Which one is the better choice?

Thanks in advance!

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #334 on: December 02, 2014, 05:09:44 PM »
Hi Angelika,

The Dell laptop is overall the best out of the 3 mentioned. It's got both the processing power and video card powerful enough to play TS3 on med settings and TS4 (for now) on high settings. But would recommend a cooling mat to help keep the laptop from overheating while playing any games you may have.

I hope this helps, and welcome to the forum. :)

MrsFlynn

Offline Angelika

• Nooboo
« Reply #335 on: December 03, 2014, 12:52:23 AM »
Many thanks for the prompt reply and valuable help!
I'm really glad to be part of this forum   :)

Offline Olive-Pixels

• Nooboo
« Reply #336 on: December 08, 2014, 07:14:37 PM »
I'm finally in a position to purchase a new laptop for The Sims 3 and The Sims 4. I've looked around at different brands but can't seem to make a decision. I'd like to stay within a budget of $700-$800, ($875 max) and the brand doesn't matter.

The only laptop that has stuck out to me is the HP Envy 17t but I want to make sure it can run the games at least medium high speed. I have The Sims 3 + several EPs, one SP, store content, CC and The Sims 4.

Do you think this laptop can handle the job or would you recommend something better?

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-envy---17t-laptop-j2r68av-1

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #337 on: December 09, 2014, 01:02:11 PM »
Hi Olive-Pixels,

By the time you add in the better graphics card (4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M Graphics) the laptop will be out of your targeted price range. [Price Quote: $1,039.99 - From the site you linked to above.]

As for suggesting something. We'd recommend finding something that has a dedicated graphics card such as an Nvidia GT or GTX. If you spot something before we do, post it's specs and we'll see if it will work well enough.

MrsFlynn

Offline Olive-Pixels

• Nooboo
« Reply #338 on: December 09, 2014, 02:54:42 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply, I checked the HP site again and looks like they're having a sale on that model so even with the upgraded graphics card, the price would be around $869 (plus tax of course). I'm not sure how long this sale will last but hopefully it won't be over soon. How do you know if a graphics card is dedicated or not? And if this one isn't, could it still work just as good?

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #339 on: December 09, 2014, 10:18:16 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply, I checked the HP site again and looks like they're having a sale on that model so even with the upgraded graphics card, the price would be around $869 (plus tax of course). I'm not sure how long this sale will last but hopefully it won't be over soon. How do you know if a graphics card is dedicated or not? And if this one isn't, could it still work just as good?

Hi, Olive-Pixels.

If the sale price with the updated video card (GTX 850M) is affordable to you, then it should do quite nicely for both games. The GTX 850M is considered an upper mid-range graphics chip and performs quite nicely on most recent games. Some games may require lowering resolution or settings to run fluently, but TS3 should run fine on mostly high settings. And TS4 is less demanding that TS3, so it should run just fine on high settings. Grab it if you can. :)

The difference between Integrated and Dedicated/Discrete video cards. Long story short, the integrated video chips, such as the Intel HD and AMD Radeon chips ending with a G suffix, lack the necessary features to run the more demanding games. Plus, they tend not to have much, if any, memory dedicated to it. So, it's slower than a dedicated graphics card and it steals memory from the system to use for itself, leaving less memory for Windows and your applications. In the case of TS3 and TS4 (from what I've read) both games have problems running with these cards, to the point of frequent crashes. Plus, they usually are stuck on low settings due to the lack of necessary "gaming" features.

In short, when looking at a computer, you want to make sure it has an option for an nVidia GT or GTX chip (GTX is better but more expensive), or an AMD Radeon that has a number ending in an M suffix (such as an AMD Radeon 8750M). It's easier to tell with the nVidia cards, since you know if it has one, its a dedicated card. It's less obvious with an AMD, but you can look for the M suffix, or look for a system with AMD Dual Graphics - this usually pairs on-chip graphics with a dedicated graphics.

Hope this helps and happy Simming! :)

Flynn
Check out Flynn's Fineries for houses, Sims and helpful articles.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Offline Olive-Pixels

• Nooboo
« Reply #340 on: December 12, 2014, 05:19:54 PM »
Thank you both so much for your advice and recommendations! I think I'll go ahead with the HP Envy 17t w/ upgraded graphics card after all and I appreciate the time you take to help us non computer savvy simmers make the best decisions when making important purchases.  ;)

-Liv

Offline missyangel87

• Nooboo
« Reply #341 on: December 16, 2014, 12:29:40 PM »
Hello i am really following you site/guide on gaming, thank you for creating! :) Now i register for forums and wanted to be part of it...

I know it is asked many times but i am planing to upgrade my old laptop as i am unable to play sims 3 anymore without lagging/crashing and havent installed/downloaded all eps/stuff packs yet.
But i am low on budget, hoping for miracle at new year period..expecting some discounts! Found this laptop which is a bit above my budget but thinking of buying...

Can you pls help me if i should go for it? I had heard that sometimes even laptop is new generation, due to graphic cards there are troubles... :(

here is the specs;

Brand: Dell
Model: INS 3542 B21F81C i5-4210 8GB 1TB 15.6" 2GB GT820M LINUX
Proceesor: 4. generation Intel® Core™ i5-4210U duel core
Processor speed: 1.7 GHz, upto 2.7 GHz with Turbo Boost
Screen size: 15.6"
Screen type: High Definiton LED Display
Resolution: 1366 x 768
Video Card: NVIDIA
Video Card memory: 2GB DDR3 external
Grafic card: Geforce 820M
Ram:8 GB (1x 8GB)
Ram type:DDR3 1600 MHz
Hard disk : 1 TB
hard disk speed:5400RPM
LINUX

or

Acer E5-571 i5-4210U 8GB 1TB 15.6" 2GB VGA LINUX

Brand: Acer
Model: E5-571 i5-4210U 8GB 1TB 15.6" 2GB VGA LINUX
Proceesor: 4. generation Intel® Core™ i5-4210U duel core
Processor speed: 1.7 GHz, upto 2.7 GHz with Turbo Boost
Screen size: 15.6"
Screen type: Active Matrix TFT Color LCD
Resolution: 1366 x 768
Video Card: NVIDIA
Video Card memory: 2GB external
Grafic card: Geforce 840M
Ram:8 GB
Ram type:DDR3 Low Voltage Memory
Hard disk : 1 TB
LINUX

They informed me that rather than LINUX they can also provide Windows 7 as well...

Can you pls help me? Thanks in adavnce

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #342 on: December 16, 2014, 04:30:16 PM »
Hi MissyAngel,

Neither of these laptops will work well for Sims 3 and expansions/stuff packs due to their low voltage processors. These laptops are more made for office/homework, watching video listening to music and other light tasks. Not so much for gaming.

If you would like us to see if we can help find you something that will work, let us know if you're in the USA, if not, what country you're in. And what you have mind for a budget.

MrsFlynn

Offline missyangel87

• Nooboo
« Reply #343 on: December 17, 2014, 02:20:26 AM »
Ohh MrsFlynn, that would be really awesome help for me!!  :)
I donot even know what is low voltage processor... :-[

I am not from USA, I am from Turkey but if i somehow know the model, i can searh through here or if there is very huge differences (moneywise) in my country, i can try to buy through online...
my budget is "below 800 usd".. is it too low?

the sites i use as per below,

http://www.exa.com.tr/kategori/notebook-323/
http://www.vatanbilgisayar.com/notebook/
http://www.hepsiburada.com/liste/dizustu-bilgisayar-laptop/department.aspx?categoryId=98

or there is these first 3 computers that i can try to buy with streching my budget..are they ok? can i find something cheaper with these prospects?

http://www.monsternotebook.com.tr/arama/hizliErisim.aspx?lang=tr-TR&tip=U&text=abra&gclid=CO2D9qjCzMICFbMatAodSz8Aiw

I really really need to convince my husband to buy this monster computers  ;)

thank you for the prompt reply :)

Offline avalonmeow

• Nooboo
« Reply #344 on: December 17, 2014, 04:20:54 AM »
I'm buying a new desktop computer soon and don't understand much about how they work....

I want to buy one from www.futureshop.ca  since I have a gift-card that will save me some money.

I would like to play The Sims 3 with all the expansions.

I'm looking to spend no more than $700....

Can anyone help me find one that will work for this purpose?  :-[