Author Topic: Computer Help  (Read 9421 times)

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
Re: Computer Help
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 12:15:10 AM »
Hi, Willow.

Yes, a laptop with the hardware above should be able to play the base game and the expansions and stuff packs. Be aware that if you have a lot of items on your lot or have a ton of store items installed, it can cause lag and slowdown regardless of your system's hardware.

Hope this helps and happy Simming. :)

Flynn
Check out Flynn's Fineries for houses, Sims and helpful articles.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Offline Willow

• Nooboo
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 09:49:27 AM »
Okay, cool. I don't really want any of the stuff packs, the main expansion packs I want are the Pets, Generations, Late Night and then seasons. I also want to get Ambitions too.  So would a computer with the stuff you said be able to run these pretty easily? Sorry for all these questions. I am completely clueless with stuff like this.  :D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Willow

• Nooboo
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 08:47:23 PM »
Any more help would be very  nice.  :D

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 10:32:03 PM »
Hi Willow,

Yes, a computer with specs like Hubby (Flynn Arrowstarr) talked about would run the base game and all expansions and stuff packs you'd like, pretty well, even at high settings.

MrsFlynn

==========
==========
Okay, cool. I don't really want any of the stuff packs, the main expansion packs I want are the Pets, Generations, Late Night and then seasons. I also want to get Ambitions too.  So would a computer with the stuff you said be able to run these pretty easily? Sorry for all these questions. I am completely clueless with stuff like this.  :D
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Willow

• Nooboo
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 10:57:19 AM »
Okay, thank You MrsFlynn

Offline Willow

• Nooboo
Re: Computer Help, back with some more questions!
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 03:13:26 PM »
Hello, I am back with some more questions. I haven't gotten a computer yet, but I've been talking to my mom about a new desktop because we need a new one anyways. So I was wondering what kind of specs and stuff the computer would need to play the sims 3 plus most expansion packs?

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 05:50:30 PM »
Hello, I am back with some more questions. I haven't gotten a computer yet, but I've been talking to my mom about a new desktop because we need a new one anyways. So I was wondering what kind of specs and stuff the computer would need to play the sims 3 plus most expansion packs?

Well, you'll need a decent amount of space on the harddrive but these days that tends to be a given. I highly, highly recommend getting an N-Vidia graphics card. I have an AMD and it's quite troublesome to deal with driver updates. For other names that are good to stick with would probably be Intel.
I have an i7 Core processor and it's pretty great. You'll want plenty of ram, 8 gigs + is my recommendation. Try to not go lower than 6 gb of ram otherwise your game with fight for the ram with your actual operating system which would cause your game to run slowly or lag quite a bit.

Obviously, everything I've stated comes from my personal experience and opinions (especially the brand favoritism), however I can say from experience that AMD is meant more for videos/basic computing and isn't a very good gaming graphics card. They are very good and efficient, but not what a gamer is looking for when putting graphics cards into a computer.
Make sure you have a decent power supply as well. I know that's not something often brought up when talking about gaming specs. The Power Supply in your computer can make all the difference sometimes, and my power supply was made specifically for my graphics card (an AMD - so you can get a feel for what I'm talking about). Because AMD is known for efficiency and not necessarily for high-detail graphics my power supply is smaller than the recommended power supply and sometimes I struggle with how long it takes my computer to boot up as well as game functionality in general. The power supply is what gives the computer it's kick and prevents it (as best as it possibly can) from power surges. So just make sure that if you're buying from a store you ask all the questions you can about specs in the computer, and if they can't answer you clearly and directly, think a bit before buying (my parents and I have been swindled before because of that! I ended up with a laptop that had great everything expect it had a phone processor in it! It could barely run windows!)

Anyways, I do ramble a bit. Key words to look for: Processor (when talking about how many cores, the higher the number, usually the better it is, like a i7core is better than a i4 core); Ram (no less than 6gb for smooth play, you can play on less but your operating system may fight for power with the game at that point, yet again, higher numbers equals better); Graphics Card (there are several available, but I highly recommend N-Vidia as they are tailored to playing games. AMD is still pretty good, but it's a bit fussy when it comes to driver updates and you'll need to be careful); hard drive (you'll want plenty of space to download and install the Sims, however I don't feel this is something you'll need to pay THAT close attention to as most computers these days come with a fair amount of space - mine has 911 gb of usable space - A LOT - and I didn't have to pay extra for it at all); and lastly, don't overlook the Power Supply. Make sure it's at about 600 watts? I believe it's measured in watts. Mine is at 570 and from my knowledge and what others have told me I was skimped out on in the power-supply area.

If you had to make a choice over which is more important to allcolate your monetary expenses: Processor and Ram should always come first as they are good for the overall life of your computer. A high-end graphics card can be expensive, and work really well, but if it doesn't have the ram or the processor to back it up it won't work nearly as well.

Hopefully my wall of text makes some sense, and hopefully I'm not totally in the wrong on somethings.

To repeat: this is opinion on all brands/names mentioned. As I said before, I'm a lover of HP and they've been great to me and let me really get involved and pick the parts that I want to see in my computer on my budget. I know some people prefer to go to stores to buy computers, and if that's the case be sure to write down some questions and grill the person selling the computer! Don't be afraid to ask questions! Ask about the ram, ask about the graphics power and what they would recommend for certain tasks. Give them your budget and let them know what you'd like to see out of your computer spec-wise.
I'd like to be informed of your decision when it comes down to it, if you don't mind posting. :) Best of luck, computer hunting/buying can be very stressful!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Willow

• Nooboo
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 09:25:53 PM »
Okay, I'll tell you what I end up getting and stuff, though it may be a while. First I have to save up, cause I don't have any money and figure out what kind to get and all that stuff plus get the games. I'm thinking I'll try to get most of the games I want of ebay since they prices are pretty low on some things there.

Also, another question I had is, how do you know how much of a power supply you have?

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 10:48:07 PM »
Also, another question I had is, how do you know how much of a power supply you have?

There's no way to tell on an open computer unless you open it up (physically), that's why it's always good to ask about the specs first if you're purchasing from someone or pay attention to it when you buy online. Like I said, it's easy to pass up because there's no real way to tell if it's there unless it's listed.

Most of the time if you're buying and not building they include a power supply that's big enough to support your needs. With my AMD card, they gave me a smaller power supply. Don't worry too much about the power supply, it is important but most of the time they're pretty good about it. I'd still ask the place you're getting it from about it just to be on the safe side.

Offline Willow

• Nooboo
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2013, 09:23:39 PM »
Okay, so far I know I need atleast 8 GB of ram, and then what are the other things? It's just so confusing with all these names and stuff. I would just look at the back of the sims games but I don't really know how to figure out all the stuff I'd need for more than one expansion, like how do you add it up or whatever for the space and stuff. I pretty much just plan on getting pets, seasons, generations, late night, university, ambitions and maybe Island paradise. I wish there was a list that said the list of specs for a computer to play it smoothly instead of just the minimum like on the sims cases.

Offline Willow

• Nooboo
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2013, 01:21:57 PM »
I was just looking at some computers and I was wondering if this one would be able to play the sims 3 and eps. I am also homeschooled so I would be doing classes on it too, but I don't think any of the stuff goes on the computer.  http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iBUYPOWER+-+Desktop+-+8GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive/1494198.p?id=1219052700181&skuId=1494198#tab=overview

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2013, 02:37:47 PM »
I was just looking at some computers and I was wondering if this one would be able to play the sims 3 and eps. I am also homeschooled so I would be doing classes on it too, but I don't think any of the stuff goes on the computer.  http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iBUYPOWER+-+Desktop+-+8GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive/1494198.p?id=1219052700181&skuId=1494198#tab=overview

That computer has some decent specifications. I'm sure it would run Sims fine.
That computer you have there will play the Sims. I can tell you it will run the Sims and you should be able to play it on medium quality at least. NVidia is a good card, and there is plenty of ram to do so.
For the price it's a nice computer.
Something for a bonus I also noticed you'll enjoy is there is an extra gig of dedicated video ram.
Another bonus: you can always have more ram added, it has room for up to 32 gigs. A computer that can grow with you is always a good computer.

Granted I don't want to be the only one to respond to this, so hopefully we can get a third opinion of this computer before anything is bought. Overall though, I think it will work out well!

Offline Willow

• Nooboo
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2013, 03:41:08 PM »
Okay. I am not planning on buying it, atleast not yet. I was just seeing if it would play the sims since it is more in my price range. When you say it would play the sims, do you mean just the Sims 3 or the sims 3 plus expansion packs?

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2013, 09:45:37 PM »
The specs look decent enough to handle most of the expansions, though you may run into a few issues here and there. Those usually come with having a lot of expansions though. Don't be afraid to shop around. Keep up with some other computers and see if there are any ones that might have better specs for the price. Since you have time, use it! This computer is average that you have, but if you waited patiently you may find something better when the time comes. :)

Offline Willow

• Nooboo
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2013, 10:29:08 PM »
Okay, There is a computer guy that lives by my aunt, so we still have to give him a call to see if he has any computers that could play the sims or any advice. I think he refurbishes them too, so maybe I could find a good one there for a cheap price.

anything