Author Topic: The Long Way Home. Complete.  (Read 69093 times)

Offline yruvian

• Occult
Re: The Long Way Home. (56) Reading on the job
« Reply #150 on: February 22, 2013, 06:47:08 AM »
I wish you luck and no Error 12's.  Patches should be allowed to corrupt games so much!  :'(
Patches should be tested. As should expansion packs. I know things slip between the mazes, but the amount of bugs in most released games/expansion packs/patches(!) these days is just... frustrating.

I guess, as an IT-er, I shouldn't be this irritated by this. I know very well that patches are a necessity when something goes wrong, but... it seems to me most companies release their 'finished product' way too early. Patches really shouldn't be as common place as they are these days. Bugs aren't supposed to be this regular. Too think my brother and I used to laugh that 'windows doesn't have bugs, it has features'. I guess it's normal, if a company like MS gets away with releasing bugs and call it a product, other companies have to follow suit.

Edit: EX-IT-er, really. Maybe that's really at the base of my frustration. I still haven't accepted the fact that my health will keep me away from that part of my life. But then, I always loved testing as much as programming. At least now my C-drive will have more room for updates. Small victory ;)

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #151 on: February 22, 2013, 06:52:53 AM »
I wish you luck and no Error 12's.  Patches should be allowed to corrupt games so much!  :'(

I meant shouldn't.  Ahhhh  :-[
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline yruvian

• Occult
« Reply #152 on: February 22, 2013, 06:54:00 AM »
I meant shouldn't.  Ahhhh  :-[
;D I guessed ;)

Well, all three have been reinstalled, to the proper disc now. First time since I got those three that my C-drive isn't in the red for space issues!

The patch didn't give any errors this time... Now to check which mods I need to update and then I should be set to go again. I was actually waiting for the end of the 'invalid file' message, until I actually read what this patch was doing. No more frozen plants in the foundation... less date invitations!... doors with owners (one less mod!)... phone changes... dumpster diving... If all of it actually works as in the notes, I think I'll be in Sim heaven (until University hits, with its own bugs, at least ;) )

With some luck, the fog emitter is the buggy part of my greenhouse (which I believe is the case), so that may be fixed as well... and I may be inclined to try out Bridgeport again, now that its performance has been increased. I may also be inclined to use my magic store stuff again, though I'm not sure of that. I remember my sims were practically addicted to the cauldron. Of course, they are also quite addicted to the rocking chair and the ice cream machine. (Sold the ice cream maker... but the rocking chair isn't that much of a problem. Though Mariska tends to fall asleep in there instead of in bed.)

Offline yruvian

• Occult
Re: The Long Way Home. (57) Another double birthday
« Reply #153 on: February 23, 2013, 05:33:59 AM »
Another week-end comes calling (again? Time really flies when you're having fun...) Time to throw another double birthday party! I'm sure Mariska isn't really looking forward to this... and I certainly can understand that, but little Ben really deserves a true party! He'll be entering his teens in style, if it's up to me... and, I guess in a way it is. Still, Mariska told me only yesterday that if I was going to throw a party that I shouldn't forget to invite "dear old Grim".

*smirks* Dear Mariska, Grim isn't any older than I am... Of course, I didn't tell her that little fact of life. I was only happy to comply with her wish... and invited everyone I've ever met on Redemption... which is to say: every single inhabitant ever... and a few drifters, who I'm sure haven't officially moved into the island. Still, in the course of my duties as a doctor, I had met a few of them... and our maid(s) all were illegal aliens as well. Even though this is basically my island, I don't mind their presence... and I think it's time to really make them part of Redemption.

First... Bennie boy turns teen! But... what's with that outfit, kiddo? Go ahead and check the magic dresser, will you?

(no pics of his trip to the dresser. I guess I deleted them instead of moving them to the right folder <.<)
According to Lemon, it's not much of an improvement, but I tend to disagree. I think it takes a lot of courage for Ben to go through with his colour choice as a teen. During my exile, I've seen how cruel kids, especially teenagers, can be to each other... and I admit I'm impressed. The boy really shows his Brave trait visible for all to see.

Poor Lemon probably would prefer his youngest son to be a bit less conspicuous. He doesn't think pink is such a manly colour...

Mariska is taking her own turn in a much better mood than I would have expected.

The entire island has shown up for these two birthdays again, though... Grim had to leave before Ben even became a teenager. I guess he was called of on duty. I'll juat have to find someone else to relate to tonight, as I'm not going to let his absence bother me in the slightest. These Sims have plenty of interesting things to say... and I would really love to get to know some of them better than I do now.

Aside from that... Citrus is here, as is his wife, Mary! I really have to find a moment to spend with them... See if they like the house.

Come on, Mariska, for your last birthday, we all want you to visit the dresser as well!

(and again... pictures were deleted instead of kept <.<)
Mariska swears by her nearly all-black outfits. I hesitate to tell her that Grim will really adore her in that sleeping gown. It looks more like a shroud to me... but I realize very well it would be very improper to tell her that.

There is something inside of me that feels sad at this day. I don't really know what it is... I usually like parties over here more than I would have ever thought possible.

Offline PrincessMimi

• Townie
« Reply #154 on: February 23, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
Is the sim in the last pic with Citrus Bennie?

Offline yruvian

• Occult
« Reply #155 on: February 23, 2013, 11:26:37 AM »
Is the sim in the last pic with Citrus Bennie?
Nah, Benjamin's walking around in light pink. He won't touch black ;)

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2013, 05:05:36 AM »
I look forward to seeing the new wardrobes in the course of the story. Happy Birthday Ben and Mariska!
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline yruvian

• Occult
Re: The Long Way Home. (58) Another tick on the check list
« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2013, 02:46:09 AM »

*dances* Citrus and Orange will be able to strive for their dreams really soon! I only have to build the venues now, as... I just managed to max out my mixology! I also don't have a lot further to go before Cooking follows suit... and then, I think I'm really going fishing for a while.

And tackle Elixirs when it's raining, I think... After all, I'll need a lot of these invigoration elixirs and flasks of bliss, and I'd rather not bother Mariska with the request. Even though... she has been quite forthcoming with both, so I now have a few spares. I guess, since she really wants to max out her own elixir skill, I'll let her... and concentrate on writing when inside. At least, for the moment.

And why did that silly maid take away my skill drinks? I just made those, for crying out loud... and I fully intended to finish the entire plate too. I guess I'm really starting to like the taste of those. I suppose there's nothing that keeps me from making a plate before I get to work each time. After all, I do learn a lot faster with them.

Mmmmm.... maybe I can use that computer thing for some other stuff as well... Like socialize outside of parties, in the dead of night... I'll have to try that some time. Though I'm not really sure whether that will really help my Charisma any.

Offline yruvian

• Occult
Re: The Long Way Home. (58) Nooboo in the family!
« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2013, 03:01:46 AM »

While Mariska went to visit Citrus and Mary in their new home, I finally max out cooking as well! It seems the young couple is a bit too busy to tend their own garden... and their sister-in-law gladly lend a hand.

"Gabriel... I think you should take a look into Citrus' house now. There's something I'm sure you want to see," Raphael breaks into my concentration while I'm working on my novel.

What? Citrus and Mary had their baby and they didn't even bother to tell us? I feel a bit cheated here. A nooboo and I didn't even know. Cute little Aisha Peel...

I also met one of our newest neighbours. This... is Allegrio. Maybe I can talk his owners into letting me ride him. For now, I'll just have to content myself with getting to know him.

Dolce... and Allegra also seem willing to get to know me. So much so, in fact, that Dolce comes over for a visit once I head home. Mariska invites him in... and he races straight to me. It seems even animals are drawn to me.

Well... maybe not. Dolce just ran past. I don't think Lemon likes wet dog that much though. Especially not because... it's now wet Lemon. Not the way to make lemonade, Dolce. *grins*

Lemon is still proudly wearing his Super Spy outfit. Because he, too, has reached his lifetime goal! He told me he wants to be the one teaching Arthur the ropes, so... he'll be staying in the corps for a while still. Arthur did manage to get on the honour roll today though. He's a lot more conscientious than Orange, who keeps on having mood swings... and staying in the house after the bus leaves. Of course, Mariska won't have that. She's starting to wait at the door to make sure he's on the school bus...

"The Black Menace" is done... and I feel like writing something a bit more dramatic for now. I start my first Drama Novel "Fallen From Grace".

(Gabriel only let Dolce sniff his hand once... the dog showed up at the side door almost immediately once Gabriel came home. When Mariska let him in, she even put a full dog bowl next to the door in case Dolce was hungry. The dog ignored her, the bowl and raced through five rooms to shake the rain of his fur... straight onto Lemon... and then went back a room to get to Gabriel <.<)

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2013, 06:36:10 AM »
Hurray for the nooboo! I forget Citrus isn't Mariska's own, since she helped to raise him. As for lemonde, I don't know...you have Lemon, water, and sugar (Dolce)--I think that is how you make lemonade!

PS: Pretty sure that's actually the Master Thief outfit. Super Spies don't have their own outfit because they're always going undercover as another career. Actually, I think they do have a default outfit, they just never wear it. But congratulations on the promotion all the same.

By samoht04

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
  • Sends more than 20 PMs Per Hour
« Reply #160 on: February 25, 2013, 03:57:46 PM »
Great update! I'm watching, you are a great writer!
It is really gripping, I hope Gabriel inherited your talent. :)

Squirt's Super Submissions
I love Constructive Criticism!
"Krabs are so cheap, they can't even pay attention!"

Offline yruvian

• Occult
« Reply #161 on: February 26, 2013, 03:06:16 AM »
Great update! I'm watching, you are a great writer!
It is really gripping, I hope Gabriel inherited your talent. :)
Thank you :)

Hurray for the nooboo! I forget Citrus isn't Mariska's own, since she helped to raise him. As for lemonde, I don't know...you have Lemon, water, and sugar (Dolce)--I think that is how you make lemonade!

PS: Pretty sure that's actually the Master Thief outfit. Super Spies don't have their own outfit because they're always going undercover as another career. Actually, I think they do have a default outfit, they just never wear it. But congratulations on the promotion all the same.
Actually... I sometimes have the same issue with Citrus and Orange.

And so it is. Never thought of Dolce as the sugar ;). Poor maids, having to clean up all the sticky stuff then.  ;D

Now that you mention it, I think you're right. My Super Spies so far all have used that particular outfit whenever they maxed their career (though after the first day, they seem to walk around in any kind of career outfit when they leave for work ;) ), so I hadn't made the link yet. But I remember from the one time I played a master thief, that it looked like that too.

Offline yruvian

• Occult
Re: The Long Way Home. (60) The infestation
« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2013, 03:12:22 AM »
I've gone to meet Dolce's master, Jake Chevallier. It seems he's taken over the consignment shop. Maybe that means the horses will need someone else to give them some exercise during the day? If not, I suppose we can always adopt a foal later on...

And our front lawn is infested with rodents! At least four each of chipmunks and squirrels are flocking near the pear trees. Are they attracted to the trees? Or do they just drift onto our property regardless of anything we do? Maybe we should get a cat... I heard those are quite willing to take care of pest problems... and we're definitely starting to have one over here.

I talk to Mariska about our rodent problem... and she instantly goes out and brings this back home. Meet Majora, our new cat. The rodents aren't impressed however. They're even watching her train her hunting. Of course, Majora took her own revenge...

It's been awhile since I've seen that contented look upon Mariska's face... and I realize she's missed having a familiar, regardless of the amount of family she's been raising lately. I'm happy for her... and if Majora happens to take care of those squirrels and chipmunks for us, so much the better!
(I've had a problem with squirrels in the way of building on the home lot before, but this is insane. There are at least 8 squirrels and chipmunks next to the pear trees on the right side of the house <.<. Some of them are hiding in the stack of autumn leaves though.)

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #163 on: February 26, 2013, 03:16:37 AM »
If I recall correctly, chipmunks are surprisingly valuable. You probably don't need the money anymore though.

Chevallier is a very appropriate name for the first horseman in town.

By samoht04

Offline yruvian

• Occult
« Reply #164 on: February 26, 2013, 03:24:11 AM »
If I recall correctly, chipmunks are surprisingly valuable. You probably don't need the money anymore though.

Chevallier is a very appropriate name for the first horseman in town.

I think you'd be surprised of the low amount of cash on hand they have at the moment. The manor is nearly finished in my saved game though... and a lot of the walls are decorated by their own Master Pieces, so the house is pretty valuable.

And that reminds me I still have to post the Chevallier's home on the building thread. I completely forgot about that.

anything