Author Topic: The Long Way Home. Complete.  (Read 69142 times)

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
Re: The Long Way Home. (28): A busy day for the family
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2013, 06:52:24 AM »
Goodness! And I thought my Immortal days were busy!  :P

Offline yruvian

• Occult
Re: The Long Way Home. (28): A busy day for the family
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2013, 10:53:27 AM »
It's days like that that have made me think I'll be ready to tackle an immortal dynasty after this <.<.

Until this story, I've never really had 8 sims in one household... but it's actually easier than I expected. Maybe that's because most of them are off to work/school during most of the day though <.<.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline yruvian

• Occult
Re: The Long Way Home. (29): Losing the Race
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2013, 11:00:58 AM »

The very next morning, I get up bright and early to work on my last level of Athletics already. When Ben wakes up screaming, Mariska leaps into the room, grumbling: "Keep running, Gabriel. I'll take care of the kids. You just make sure you max out soon! And don't forget about the hospital!"

She really means it too. After taking care of Ben's needs, she starts teaching Arthur to talk. Now that Benjamin is born, she wants Arthur's main skills out of the way as quickly as possible. I can understand: I can't imagine how hectic it would be if she had to teach the same things to both boys at the same time.

It's as if we're racing to learn something first... Will I max Athletics first? Or will he learn to talk before I do?

Yes, the little one won... by a few seconds. I don't really mind. I'm just happy to have another skill done. I think the next family over should have someone who would like to become part of the military. After all, I now really have some building to do!

After talking comes walking... Mariska's on a roll and little Arthur just has to follow her lead. Poor boy, no playing for you until you're done, I'm afraid. I know very well how you feel!

Orange is much faster than his brother was... only one day a child... and he already knows that he wants to strive to become a vocal legend. Boys... I hope you two are aware of the position you're placing me in. I really need to start mixology soon... and max out that guitar skill of mine. Thankfully, my cooking, fishing and guitar skills have all passed the level 5 mark by now. It's still going to be a bit of work, of course, but I'm certain I can max guitar and mixology by the time the brothers become young adults. After all, they both have to get through their teen years before that.

At least this gives Heaven Bound an opportunity to play together again. We haven't been keeping up with our practices lately, mostly because Lemon's often too exhausted to do much more than drop straight into bed.

Before he goes to bed tonight however, he finishes potty training little Arthur! A large step for the little man. All three main skills are taken care of already... and Mariska tells me to leave the Pastrami-book on the floor, so he can read it. I doubt that's going to happen though. Don't children need to learn how to read first? Oh well. I guess I'll just follow her advice.

Offline yruvian

• Occult
Re: The Long Way Home. (30): Building the town
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2013, 05:07:14 AM »
Because of everything that's happened the last couple of days, I've decided to concentrate on building some of the unlocked community buildings instead of continuing to unlock more...

First of all, the long awaited hospital. Mariska told me she prefers hospitals to be light, airy and roomy... I tried to incorporate her wishes. I'm hoping one of the current inhabitants will rise up to the bait and become Redemption's doctor... because, as of right now, there simply isn't one. Most of the adults are still in the educational career. Of course, a new family will be moving in some time soon, but, as of yet, I haven't build another home yet.

Then, Lemon's bright new police station. According to Mariska, it doesn't look like a police station at all... but then, I'm not expecting a lot of trouble from any of Redemption's inhabitants. Every family here has a reason for escaping the old world... a reason to want peace and quiet, away from the violence of the other sims. For some, it's prosecution for being different, for others it's bad memories... or a wish to explore brave new worlds.

Mariska has ensured me Lemon will be signing up as soon as he finishes his current work day. He's quite tired of handling children and would really prefer to get his own dream-job started.

This place, I only build because... I have to according to the rulebook. It's the military base... and I would just as soon it doesn't get any applications. I don't care much for armies, because... armies mean war. Like the police station, nothing I think Redemption really needs. I know I know. Wraparound porches, for a military base? But... I think it makes the place more defensible. And it looks better. Can't have a bleak looking building on Redemption. It's bad enough I have to allow the place in the first place.

This will most likely be the last post concerning just buildings. I'm nearly done preparing the set-up of the building thread, so all buildings will be shown in detail in there. It won't be just a shot of the outside there either ;).

Offline yruvian

• Occult
Re: The Long Way Home. (31): Another Peel appears...
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2013, 05:14:00 AM »

Today is Citrus' birthday... Another step closer to becoming the independent young man that is hiding within the child. Both Lemon and Mariska seem worried about something. It's like they don't trust the boy to be able to finish high school with as much of a success as elementary school. I'm hoping they just worry too much. Nothing in Citrus' behaviour even hints at upcoming trouble. Aside from his one time skipping of school, he's never been in any kind of mischief... and he's always made sure to do his homework first, no matter where he was.

Orange has told me all about this mysterious imaginary friend of his. I know Mariska and Lemon are sceptical... but I have discovered the secrets to an imaginary friend potion some time ago. I've also witnessed the truth of the boy's claims before my exile... which is why I have given him one of those potions when he became a child. Up to now, he hasn't done anything with it though. 

With Citrus' birthday party in full swing, Orange obviously grows tired of the disbelief of the grown-ups and takes matters in his own hands. In comes Lucky Peel, growing our household even more. I think this development will stop Mariska and Lemon's newest child wish to come true for some time though.

For once, I take it upon myself to entertain the guests. The rest of the band is getting ready to sleep, as the first guests are leaving. At 4 AM in the morning, the last of the party guests finally go home. It's a school day however... and Lemon and the youngsters won't be rested well I think.

(And there's young Peel number three. Orange's Imaginary friend, Lucky Peel. I never thought I'd get to love one of those dolls... but Lucky is utterly adorable as a child.)

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2013, 05:28:59 AM »
Happy Birthday Citrus and welcome Lucky.  Amazing architecture.  Police stations don't have to look like fortresses.  But that hospital, pretty as it is, one itty bitty hurricane and it's gone. ;D
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2013, 06:13:00 AM »
Ahh, so that's the mystery of the three young Peels. Well welcome Lucky! Your buildings are lovely, I look forward to seeing the inside too.
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline yruvian

• Occult
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2013, 10:23:25 AM »
Happy Birthday Citrus and welcome Lucky.  Amazing architecture.  Police stations don't have to look like fortresses.  But that hospital, pretty as it is, one itty bitty hurricane and it's gone. ;D
Thanks :). I guess they'll just have to hope not to be in the way of a hurricane then  :P.

Ahh, so that's the mystery of the three young Peels. Well welcome Lucky! Your buildings are lovely, I look forward to seeing the inside too.
Thank you :).

The thread for the building is up and in my signature now. For now, there's only the overviews of the different districts with the buildings as they are now in my game (though... I've changed the roofs in that thread to one of the EA ones). The only actual lots in the building thread are just for show, so they don't really feature in the story. Both of them are unlocked at this point in the story, but I don't think he had build them yet (judging from the view of the manor behind the hospital).

However, I think I'll be tackling the rest of the buildings in the same order as they are build in the story from now on... and I'll try to keep from updating overview shots too quickly.

Offline yruvian

• Occult
Re: The Long Way Home. (32): Money trouble
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2013, 10:35:14 AM »

This new skill of mine involves a lot of breaking glass... At least there's two maids cleaning up after the party last night, so... a bit of extra work shouldn't face them too much... I hope.

(first time ever I had two maids working at the same time. One female, one male. I was wondering who the male was, until I got the message he was done with his task.)

While I'm trying to pick up Mixology, Mariska is hard at work adding the new members of the family to our sculpture collection.

In between sculptures, she manages to teach little Arthur to walk.

Citrus is taking up the drums, Lucky's started painting. With this amount of people, simoleons are flying out the door more rapidly than Lemon can bring them in. He's still the only one in the household who has a paid job. The daily presence of two maids doesn't help in that regard, either. Of course, I go off to sell anything the family has made regularly, but of late the production is a lot lower, with all sculptures that we need to keep. On top of that, most of us are concentrating on non-productive skills. The drawing room is often nearly empty now.

The manor isn't nearly as finished as it should be... and most of us are still sleeping in bunk beds in the hallway upstairs.

Mariska is getting worried because of this. I won't let her get a job though. She joined in to be a sculptor/painter and I feel it's my duty to let her stay on as that only. There is no need for her to go out and work at a regular, paying job. Maybe it will help if I take my guitar practise outside.

I'm now getting used to sleeping once the school-going youth is out of the house in the morning. It means I never have to wait for the shower... and there's always someone to watch over the two youngest Lighthearts.

Offline yruvian

• Occult
Re: The Long Way Home. (33): Gabriel's solution
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2013, 02:02:20 PM »
I'm actually quite curious about this going out to work every day... and have decided to try it myself, even though that will obviously slow down my skilling. There is another reason for my decision however: I'm worried. What if someone in our little community really needs a doctor? There's no one around with the proper knowledge... and I, at least, have the necessary skills for the job.

Maybe I'll meet some patients and make some new friends... I need one more for my next level in charisma. Of course, I may as well throw some more parties, or play some more chess with Mariska's family, but I think I would like to get to know some of the other islanders better. The simoleons it brings aren't that great, especially not at the start, but it may ease Mariska's worry as well.

It will, of course, also help if Mariska and Lemon happen to get another baby. So... I've joined the medical world. I guess it may be a nice change of pace for a while, though it will mean adjusting my time schedule back to daylight.

(Gabriel truly is the only doctor on the island. He doesn't have a boss... or co-workers.)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2013, 07:33:45 PM »
Hi yruvian.

Would you please use only the default font in your stories.  We like for the forum to have a consistent and tidy look.  Thanks.  :)
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline yruvian

• Occult
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2013, 05:26:08 AM »
Hi yruvian.

Would you please use only the default font in your stories.  We like for the forum to have a consistent and tidy look.  Thanks.  :)
Sure, no problem. I think I've changed all previous posts :)

Offline yruvian

• Occult
Re: The Long Way Home. (34): Benjamin's birthday... and prom night
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2013, 05:32:38 AM »

Benjamin has become a toddler! And Mariska immediately starts to teach him to walk, so he can find his own way around the ground floor. She doesn't care that it's the deep of the night... or that the rest of us are slowly turning in. I wonder... Will she miss the toddlers once her two sons grow up? I know she still wants a third child... and Lemon's still hoping for a girl, but I don't know when they'll be able to add another one to their family.

"Why don't you have a date for the prom, Citrus?" Mariska mutters, trying to adjust her eldest brother-in-law's prom outfit. The teen shrugs: "How can I choose? There's only a few kids my age around, you know."

*smirks behind Mariska's back*. Of course, the boy is right... but there are even fewer girls than boys on Redemption. Still, somehow I doubt Citrus wasn't able to find someone to go with him. I actually believe his answer, though Mariska shakes her head at him. I guess she's just too worried about him. Maybe it's a side effect of her Family orientedness. You'd think she'd have enough to do with the younger ones in the house, especially now that both Lemon and I have to go to work during the day.

We just saw Citrus leave for his prom. I could sense the fear and worry radiating from Mariska. It's odd how she considers him hers, though he is 'only' her brother in law. "Don't worry about that boy. He'll be fine," Raphael whispers. "But I'll go keep an eye on him for you. I'll let you know if he needs rescuing." Because of my 'brother', I know everything that happens long before Citrus makes it home. He had a glorious time. Even though he didn't have a date, he was chosen as prom king, got into a fight over some girl... and came back seriously in love with Mary Little. All is well for my teenage friend.

Offline yruvian

• Occult
Re: The Long Way Home. (35)
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2013, 02:16:55 PM »

Benjamin finished his potty training! No more stinky diapers! Well, at least... less of them, as they are known to have little accidents now and again. One basic skill to go... and another toddler is ready to start his own life!

Of course, with Mariska on the job, talking is only a matter of moments.

And the two brothers have rather... mature topics when playing together. Everything from getting pumped, to school and work seems part of their discussion! I suppose it shouldn't surprise me, considering the odd topics Mariska used for teaching them to talk in the first place.

Our mansion (as Mariska keeps calling the house) is starting to look a bit more pronounced, now that I've managed to add windows, a staircase and a few other things.
I also picked up a book about Martial Arts when I was at the consignment shop last time and have started reading it. Even though it's a skill I don't really need, it sounds interesting... and I have found that I really like this skilling... even though sometimes it seems I'm working on a daunting task. I'll have to ask one of the others to take this up as well, so we can spar amongst each other and keep on improving.

I am starting to feel much more at ease with the sims around me. So much so even, that I haven't been too surprised with anything they've done lately. It seems to me that their ways aren't as mysterious as I thought at first... and I have come to care about those that are living with me.

Lemon is still rather aloof towards me. I think he sees me as competition for his wife's love. This, I can understand... as we all compete for Mother's back home. Even though I do realize from watching Mariska with the children that a true mother's love isn't limited... and is shared among all of her children. I'm sure it's like that with Mother as well, even though she isn't really our birth mother.

I now only have 19 days to go before the one birthday that really scares me... I have never known what it feels like to be old. I am oddly curious about it, but from everything I've heard and witnessed over here, I doubt it's an experience I'll love to hold on to. But I still have time... and I want to finish my guitar skill by then.

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
Re: The Long Way Home. (35)
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2013, 02:53:54 PM »
I haven't commented, but I want you know I'm still reading. This story is very enjoyable.
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

anything