Author Topic: Sims 3 - How Do I Build a Second Story?  (Read 88728 times)

Offline jersygirl15

• Townie
Sims 3 - How Do I Build a Second Story?
« on: June 26, 2010, 07:50:33 PM »
I want to build a second story, but every time I try I get lost  ???  I think I need help with building details
I wish I'd get some help!!  :)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: How Do I Build a Second Story?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 08:16:37 PM »
I'm not a building expert, but I've added second stories a few times. 

First of all, you need room on the ground floor to put a staircase.  They take up a lot of space, which you'll see when you try to place one.  Sometimes the best place is next to a wall.  You have to remove all objects that are in the area where you want to place the stairs.  Remove all furniture, light fixtures, pictures, everything.  Once you have enough space, go to Build Mode and click on the stairs of the house diagram.  Select which kind of stairs you want, whether you want the rails, and how wide you want it.  It's best to have it a minimum of 2 wide because that allows 2 Sims to use the stairs at the same time and avoids pathing problems.

You'll have to delete your roof to allow for the second story.  Once that's done, you build the walls of the second story.  Use the level up button to put you physically at the second story.  You can put the walls exactly where the ground floor walls are or you can build them in other spots to allow for a balcony.  After the walls are built, put the floor down.  You can also put a fence around the opening of the stairs.  Sims won't actually fall down that hole, but the rail around it is pretty.

After you have the second story walls and floor built, put the roof back on the house.  You can either use the auto roof function or you can put it on manually yourself.

Here's a tutorial on how to build a multi-story home.

Making Homes with Multiple Stories and Basements
https://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/buildedit/houses/multilevel/

I hope this gets you started.  Come on back if you have trouble and we'll try to help you.  :)
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 09:09:55 AM »
Just a small note for the, probably, few that will encounter this problem: The firefighter pole thingie (you know, Batman-like sliding pole) only works to place if the upper tile is not just grass, but a tile put out in build mode. The reason why this could be a nuisance is that in the house I'm building, I'm adding new stories undergound and I thought at first that the pole could be a fun thing, but I thought it was something wrong with it at first. :-\

If you just go with the conventional staircase method, just make sure you have lots of room above and the rest is pretty self-evident.
Manbearpig simply wants to get you. I'm super cereal. - Al Gore :)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.

Offline jersygirl15

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 04:05:36 PM »
OK guys thanks a lot ... I'll try your tips soon  :)

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 04:51:19 AM »
I just use the move up button, go up to the next level, lay down cheap, wood, floor as a "subflooring", and use the wall tool to put the walls up.  After that it's a matter of add a roof, (after demolishing the old one first), and whatever else you want to add.  I have some trouble with vision and putting the flooring down first gives me a very visible guide for my walls.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 02:16:50 PM »
I'm reviving this thread because it relates to a quick question I have:  how many stories tall can you build? 

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 02:35:45 PM »
I'm reviving this thread because it relates to a quick question I have:  how many stories tall can you build? 

4 stories up and 4 stories down (basement).

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
4 stories up and 4 stories down (basement).

Thank you.  I'm playing with an idea I have for a new Immortals' Museum.  Only 4 stories, eh?  Oh well, back to the drawing board!

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests